Payne's Valley

Night train

2 hours ago, LBRMGR said:

Looking into going here in 2022.  Any suggestions for time of the year to go?  Is it too hot in July-August?  Any tips for which courses to play?

July-August will be hot, but I don’t mind it.  If you have a chance to play the 3, Buffalo Ridge, Ozarks National, and Payne’s Valley I’d jump all over it.  Great courses all.  Buffalo is the most reasonably priced, and is outstanding.  Some people haven’t liked Ozarks as much, but it came from people that couldn’t hit fairways 😂.  There isn’t much rough at Ozarks, lots of holes drop off into “penalty areas” but the fairways are pretty generous.  Payne’s Valley is one of the Most scenic courses I’ve played with lots of elevation changes, large greens and fairways, but you still need to strike it well. Hope this helps.   

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

2 hours ago, LBRMGR said:

Looking into going here in 2022.  Any suggestions for time of the year to go?  Is it too hot in July-August?  Any tips for which courses to play?

I went down last year for the first time.  Drove down 8 hours early Friday AM March 26th, and went straight to Buffalo Ridge Range, then up to Mountain top to play the par 3.  Was about 60-65 degrees.  Great par 3.  Next day played Buffalo Ridge twice, it was about 80 degrees that afternoon, it was great.  Sunday morning we played Ozark, it was 45 degrees with 30 mph winds on the range, it was a ROUGH round, you are exposed on ON, nowhere to hide from any wind.  Then in the afternoon we played PV, finished as the sun was setting.  The high was maybe 55-58 degrees, but the winds were not as bad in the afternoon.

Already booked to go again this year, but pushing it into 3rd week or April, hoping to avoid the freezing cold and the grass on PV should all be out of dormant state by then.

This year instead of Mountain Top we are playing Top of the Rock day 1.  I would suggest all of the courses.  

Looks like PV is now $325 for non-hotel guests.  

Is getting a tee time for 4 people nearly impossible without staying at their hotel?

Is there a walking option?  Is it discounted?

I'm guessing a discounted replay option is probably out the window...

the more I read and hear, it sounds like it might be better to wait another couple years to let the hype die down some.

6 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

Is getting a tee time for 4 people nearly impossible without staying at their hotel?

the more I read and hear, it sounds like it might be better to wait another couple years to let the hype die down some.

It’s not Impossible, just hard.  If you know days book asap when they open tee times. If your flexible and plan a trip around what’s available that’s probably a better option.  

I don’t think walking is even aloud, and with the elevation changes I don’t know you’d want to.  I’m in pretty good shape and carrying a bag or even pushing a bag around that place would have been a nightmare.  

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

9 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

Wow!  I called and cannot get eight rooms for seven nights any time this year. 

And it's too bad you can't stay offsite and get advanced tee times.  VRBO has some huge houses at very low rates.

The one thing to remember (and I think a lot of of golfers don't consider this) is that Big Cedar is sort of a "Disneyworld" for people who are into the outdoors (hunting, fishing, ect.). A decent amount of the people staying at the resort have absolutely no interest in the golf aspect. 

I was there last summer for a relative's wedding, and we stayed at the resort. Based on the non-weddings affiliated people I met and conversations I overheard I'd be willing to bet that only about 50% of the resort guests came there to play golf. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 2:02 PM, Rory4Pres said:

4some tee time for Ozark or Payne’s is going to be tough to get. You pretty much have to stay on property. 

Unless something drastically changes I wouldn’t expect to see a big die down in price anytime soon. Buffalo is roughly the same price it has always been even with them continuing to add new courses. I would like to see it happen since I'm close enough to play them often.

Edited by tim_harris

Looking like we're going to book this for our annual trip in early June.

Wednesday PM Payne's Valley

Thursday AM Mountain Top 

Thursday PM Paynes Valley

Friday AM some kind of non-golf activity
Friday PM Ozarks

Saturday AM Top of the Rock
Saturday PM Buffalo Ridge

Anything we're missing or suggestions for non-golf activity?  Friday PM has limited times left and nothing available in the morning although I think we could do one of the par 3 courses again...

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

47 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

Thursday AM Mountain Top 

Friday PM Ozarks

Anything we're missing or suggestions for non-golf activity?  Friday PM has limited times left and nothing available in the morning although I think we could do one of the par 3 courses again...

Play Mountain Top again on Friday AM since ON is next to it if teetimes are available.

To be honest I prefer Mountain Top over Top of Rock but ToR is more scenic.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

On 1/18/2022 at 6:26 PM, LBRMGR said:

Thursday AM Mountain Top 

Friday PM Ozarks

If you can, play Buffalo Ridge twice.  It will end up being your favorite course. It is a tremendous Fazio design.  You can also play Branson Hills National (the Old Payne Stewart Course). Great course - but tough...

• Like 1

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

1 minute ago, TK3 said:

If you can, play Buffalo Ridge twice.  It will end up being your favorite course. It is a tremendous Fazio design.  You can also play Branson Hills National (the Old Payne Stewart Course). Great course - but tough...

Yes, I like playing Branson Hills but it's been a while since I played it. My partner and I won the MO Senior 4Ball on that course in 2013. It really requires precise shot placements. I do like it but some greens might not be in best shape due to shades.

• Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any idea if the new range at Payne's Valley is done?  I'm wondering how much progress they have made in general on their construction projects since I was there in August.

Going down again in March.  From their website it appears they raised prices and killed their twilight and replay rates.  And their new tee time site is terrible.  I go because it's an easy drive so don't have to plan really far out, but starting to wonder how long they can keep raising prices/forcing people to stay on site.

4 hours ago, Tha Carter said:

Anyone have any idea if the new range at Payne's Valley is done?  I'm wondering how much progress they have made in general on their construction projects since I was there in August.

Going down again in March.  From their website it appears they raised prices and killed their twilight and replay rates.  And their new tee time site is terrible.  I go because it's an easy drive so don't have to plan really far out, but starting to wonder how long they can keep raising prices/forcing people to stay on site.

Where was the new range?  When I was there last March, was only the range up by Ozark, which is a huge range....

2 hours ago, SpacklersEdge said:

Where was the new range?  When I was there last March, was only the range up by Ozark, which is a huge range....

It's right off the path as you're driving down to the first tee, sort of on the backside of the mountain or whatever you want to call it where the 19th hole is.  They started it sometime between March and August last year.  Not sure what it will end up being like since it was just a huge drop off, but they were moving tons of rock.

Also they were building a new turn stand on Payne's that overlooked the pond where the 5th green is.  I would think that must be done.

• 1 month later...

Agree with what most are saying. Buf Ridge is outstanding and on our trip we did ON 2x and the others 1x. I would switch out one of the ON rounds for 2 at BR. Be sure to pause here and there and watch the buffalo roam.... 🙂. Beware,  it holds a ton of water so if its rainy season you will surely be CPO and 'lift and clean'

Just got back from a trip down this weekend.  Nothing has greened up obviously but Payne’s has really grown in a lot more in spots and should be great this summer. Greens at ozarks this time were some of the best I have played. 

The new turn stand at Payne’s is open, and it is huge and ridiculous like everything else down there. It’s bigger than the clubhouse at Buffalo Ridge and Ozarks. Also they changed to bison hotdogs from beef and they’re good. 

There is still a lot of construction around the 19th hole as they completely rebuilt the teeing area from when they first opened. The range going in at Payne’s looks like it is another year out based on the progress they are making. 

also they are lining the pond on the 5th hole at Buffalo ridge and that turn stand there is closed for now. It doesn’t look great at the moment but doesn’t affect the hole. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, asnyder81 said:

Anybody have any intel on course conditions right now? Have things greened up?

Also, there are a couple courses that were aerated this week. In the past, when do they normally return to playable conditions?

We have a group headed down later next week and am curious.

Good question...  I have a group headed down to play next week as well (Wed/Thurs/Fri).  Would love to know if the Zoysia is green yet.

For your aeration question, last year we played about 10 days after aeration on BR.  They gave us a discount because of this, saying it was not up to their standards.  When we got out there the greens were perfect, I would have never expected a discount.  I expect them all to be just fine by later half of next week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpacklersEdge said:

Good question...  I have a group headed down to play next week as well (Wed/Thurs/Fri).  Would love to know if the Zoysia is green yet.

For your aeration question, last year we played about 10 days after aeration on BR.  They gave us a discount because of this, saying it was not up to their standards.  When we got out there the greens were perfect, I would have never expected a discount.  I expect them all to be just fine by later half of next week.

I live a few hours east of there and if my yard is any indication, the zoysia is just barely starting to turn green.  My grass is 25% green, 75% dormant.

• Thanks 1

Heading down 6 May for a week of fishing and golf.  Been playing Buffalo Ridge since it was called Branson Creek and only had nine holes open.

Pretty amazing how much things have changed down there over the years.

Too bad Johnny has about priced us out the market.  Played six or seven times last year on either the twilight rate or the aeration recovery rate which is much more palatable but still not cheap.

Probably just play Buffalo Ridge and Branson Hills this spring but hope to get back on Payne's Valley toward the end of the recovery rate on one of our fall trips.

Branson Hills is tuff but excellent.  Lots of variety from hole to hole.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, vernon said:

Heading down 6 May for a week of fishing and golf.  Been playing Buffalo Ridge since it was called Branson Creek and only had nine holes open.

Pretty amazing how much things have changed down there over the years.

Too bad Johnny has about priced us out the market.  Played six or seven times last year on either the twilight rate or the aeration recovery rate which is much more palatable but still not cheap.

Probably just play Buffalo Ridge and Branson Hills this spring but hope to get back on Payne's Valley toward the end of the recovery rate on one of our fall trips.

Branson Hills is tuff but excellent.  Lots of variety from hole to hole.

Yeah, they're definitely getting a bit high for the prices.  Especially now that you have to stay on the property to be guaranteed a tee time and the lowest lodging on course is 700 a night for double queen bed.  

• Like 1

If you stay at Angler's Lodge you can lock in advanced tee times and it's WAY cheaper than Big Cedar Lodge. I'm staying 3 nights in late June at $265/night for a double queen. I had to call 10 months in advance to get it. I also go all the tee times that I wanted. Playing Thu afternoon, Fri AM and PM, Sat AM and PM, then Sun morning. Plus Angler's Lodge is located more centrally than Big Cedar if you are going to play BR, ON, PV and the two par 3 courses.

Edited by DallasDan
  • Like 1

Heading down in a month. 

Are all 3 big course cart only? Could you get caddies to drive the carts or are they not walkable?

any other tips for my trip would be appreciated! Going with a group early June

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

• 3 weeks later...

I live about 20 minutes East of Branson, have for almost all of my 60 years. Sadly Johnny Morris has driven the locals out of golf! As a disabled Vet, he does not provide a discount to locals or Vets or e an employees. We had a small municipal course but he got it converted to a disc golf course! On a fixed income, $160 green fees are out of the question. Our only recourse is the Holiday Hills, $60, and the muni's in Springfield and Harrison. 

I asked the Branson city board about future plans for a municipal course for the locals. I was laughed at!

• Sad 1