Jump to content

What to do about this?


Recommended Posts

I don't want to mention the Company yet, but it is VERY well known and respected in the industry. I've had these clubs one year and have been going thru a swing change so I have been on the grass range more than usual and I hit the 6 iron the most with the 7 iron next most. However, I never hit more than a couple hundred balls maybe twice a week at most and play once or twice a week. I started noticing the off color flaw down towards the leading edge and out by the toe a month or so ago. I kept trying to wipe it off, but it wouldn't wipe. They I started seeing a similar flaw on the 7 iron. I'm worried it's going to show up on all the irons eventually.

 

When I sent the picture of the clubs to the Company their response to my fitter/authorized dealer was - we see the damage, but we are sold out of that model. We only have this model which is different.

 

In subsequent conversations with the Company including the CEO who talked to the designer of the clubs and was kind enough to email me directly, they acknowledge that the sandy soil in Hawaii will wear the finish off their clubs. Having said that, they also say it does not change the characteristics of the club or performance. The Company offered to forge 2 clubs to match my set, even though not currently in production, at a steeply discounted price. I declined with thanks. If it's normal wear I don't need to replace with clubs that are going to wear the same over time.

 

I'm satisfied with the Company's response and continue to enjoy the great feel of the clubs in question.

 

My thanks to all who have offered their thoughts.

 

Aloha

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop practicing and don't use them for golf and they will look new forever.....

> @Redhaze737 said: > > @GoGoErky said: > > You have clubs that are wearing after tons of balls over the course of a year. Nothing wrong with the performance. Due to inventory which i

I think those irons and the wear on them look cool. You practice/play a lot and these irons show it, I'd consider them badges of honor. If this happened after a month of ownership and a few practice

Yeah, you're being unreasonable. There's still plenty of life left in those clubs. You play and practice a lot. Good for you. Realize that means you'll go thru clubs quicker than a lot of people. That's an ok problem to have. You could try to practice an equal amount will all your irons, instead of mainly the 6 and the 7 and that would help even out the wear.

G400 Max Rogue Silver 70

Exotics CBX T3 16.5 Rogue Silver 80

Exotics CBX 20* RIP Alpha 105

T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110

JPX 900 Tour 6-P Recoil 125

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50, 56 Recoil Wedge Proto

RM-22 60 Black Onyx S400

Spider FCG L-Neck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, but the manufacturer says it’s a flaw covered under warranty so I think you’re off base in you analysis.

 

The issue not what club I hit when I practice or how I practice as I’m sure this manufacturer’s rep on the PGA Tour hits thousands of balls without the finish coming off. The issue is what to do when there is no product to cover the warranty.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Georgewang said:

> I am still trying to figure out what is wrong the the clubs...

 

Look at the bottom of the face just above the leading edge out by the toe. There is a yellow area where the finish is gone and the metal is eroded for lack of a better word. Largest area on the 6 iron, but getting larger on the 7 iron.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that from a range with a lot of sand in the topsoil? I have a sand wedge that I practice with and it did the same thing pretty fast. Now the complete sole and most of the face look like that, but way worse. I won’t use my actual wedges to practice bunker shots.

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from porn is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
Link to post
Share on other sites

> Is that from a range with a lot of sand in the topsoil? I have a sand wedge that I practice with and it did the same thing pretty fast. Now the complete sole and most of the face look like that, but way worse. I won’t use my actual wedges to practice bunker shots.

 

The soil has sand in it. It's not clay or hard soil. I'm not hitting out of a bunker. It's a grass range.

 

I've had sets from other manufacturers that have not done what these clubs are doing. This is not normal wear and tear according to the manufacturer or they would not say it is a defect and it's covered under warranty. The wear is not even as you can see. My divots are level from using the entire sole of the club, not just the toe where the wear is - as indicated by the off white color and the striations in the metal. You might have to blow the picture up to see the detail.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have clubs that are wearing after tons of balls over the course of a year. Nothing wrong with the performance. Due to inventory which is usual with most brands after a year or longer depending on when the model was released they can’t do a 1 for 1 replacement. Sounds like the company is standing behind their product. Not sure what the complaint is.

 

If you like your irons keep playing them and go about your day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If its a plating issue will they agree to refinish them for you? If the two clubs pictured are the ones you use the most as you mentioned the grooves look great. Might be a PITA to send them back but if they don't have that model to replace with then they don't. So your choices would be what you have: take what they have or live with it. Refinishing would give you the option of keeping what you like.

TEE EXS 220 10.5*
Maltby KE4 TC 14*
Maltby KE4 TC 19*/22*
Maltby TS1 5-P
Maltby MGTG 52/56/60
TM Patina Juno

Link to post
Share on other sites

A customer service rep agreeing to replace clubs under warranty does not necessarily mean there's actually a warranty issue with the clubs. Often times it's done just to keep a customer happy so everyone can move on with their day...

G400 Max Rogue Silver 70

Exotics CBX T3 16.5 Rogue Silver 80

Exotics CBX 20* RIP Alpha 105

T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110

JPX 900 Tour 6-P Recoil 125

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50, 56 Recoil Wedge Proto

RM-22 60 Black Onyx S400

Spider FCG L-Neck

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @GoGoErky said:

> You have clubs that are wearing after tons of balls over the course of a year. Nothing wrong with the performance. Due to inventory which is usual with most brands after a year or longer depending on when the model was released they can’t do a 1 for 1 replacement. Sounds like the company is standing behind their product. Not sure what the complaint is.

>

> If you like your irons keep playing them and go about your day.

 

You call a bucket or 2 a week a ton of balls? I don't have a complaint as much as a question of how to proceed. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @"the bishop" said:

> If its a plating issue will they agree to refinish them for you? If the two clubs pictured are the ones you use the most as you mentioned the grooves look great. Might be a PITA to send them back but if they don't have that model to replace with then they don't. So your choices would be what you have: take what they have or live with it. Refinishing would give you the option of keeping what you like.

 

Thanks, yeah could do that. Good suggestion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @dmbrill719 said:

> A customer service rep agreeing to replace clubs under warranty does not necessarily mean there's actually a warranty issue with the clubs. Often times it's done just to keep a customer happy so everyone can move on with their day...

 

Yes, that's possible, but doesn't seem to be the case here. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Redhaze737 said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > You have clubs that are wearing after tons of balls over the course of a year. Nothing wrong with the performance. Due to inventory which is usual with most brands after a year or longer depending on when the model was released they can’t do a 1 for 1 replacement. Sounds like the company is standing behind their product. Not sure what the complaint is.

> >

> > If you like your irons keep playing them and go about your day.

>

> You call a bucket or 2 a week a ton of balls? I don't have a complaint as much as a question of how to proceed. Thanks.

 

That’s 100-200 balls/week. Over the course of a year that’s 5200-10k+ balls.

 

You asked if you are being unreasonable about what you considered to be a lame excuse by the company. They offered to replace your irons with a different model which isn’t really unreasonable. It’s a cosmetic issue and not performance issue so it’s really a suck it up or take the company up on their offer. It sounds like you don’t care for the irons they are offering so it seems like you don’t want to change and are looking for people to validate your unhappiness

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think those irons and the wear on them look cool. You practice/play a lot and these irons show it, I'd consider them badges of honor. If this happened after a month of ownership and a few practice sessions/rounds you'd have a case to complain. After a full year of extensive use, not sure you have much of a leg to stand on in the complaint dept. These are tools you repeatedly hit into the ground at high speed. If you want them to look new hang them on a wall somewhere.

  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock #4 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your thoughts although I disagree that going to the range once or twice a week and playing once or twice a week is a lot, but I'm sure to some it seems that way.

 

It seems some of you have the wrong impression. I am not looking for perfect irons after playing with them or taking them to the range. I don't use head covers on my irons. I don't mind if they bang into each other. I don't mind if they are scratched up. Golf is played against the ground. Stuff happens. No problem.

 

The manufacturer says there is a flaw as shown in the wear pattern. Not just me, the manufacturer admits the irons should not look like that. I think that's a key point some of you need to get before you comment. I'm not looking for comments from players who think it looks good or I'm being hard on the manufacturer. The manufacturer say it's wrong.

 

I'm looking for comments from people who are perhaps reps of high end Japanese clubs or fitters who have seen this issue in high end very well known forged irons and can tell me what was done. Stuff happens, what is done after is important and the information I am seeking.

 

We had a conference call setup today, but one of the participants could not make it. My questions are, what is this issue, why did it happen, if the heads are refinished will it happen again? What is the difference in the new heads? What are my options? I am not planning to be unreasonable or a hardass, I just want options so I can make the best choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @Redhaze737 said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > You have clubs that are wearing after tons of balls over the course of a year. Nothing wrong with the performance. Due to inventory which is usual with most brands after a year or longer depending on when the model was released they can’t do a 1 for 1 replacement. Sounds like the company is standing behind their product. Not sure what the complaint is.

> > >

> > > If you like your irons keep playing them and go about your day.

> >

> > You call a bucket or 2 a week a ton of balls? I don't have a complaint as much as a question of how to proceed. Thanks.

>

> That’s 100-200 balls/week. Over the course of a year that’s 5200-10k+ balls.

>

> You asked if you are being unreasonable about what you considered to be a lame excuse by the company. They offered to replace your irons with a different model which isn’t really unreasonable. It’s a cosmetic issue and not performance issue so it’s really a suck it up or take the company up on their offer. It sounds like you don’t care for the irons they are offering so it seems like you don’t want to change and are looking for people to validate your unhappiness

 

No, that's not it, but thank you for your perspective. See my last post please.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

> We had a** conference call setup** today, but one of the participants could not make it. My questions are, what is this issue, why did it happen, if the heads are refinished will it happen again? What is the difference in the new heads? What are my options? I am not planning to be unreasonable or a hardass, I just want options so I can make the best choice.

 

Holy cow! A conference call? Did you pay 1 million dollars for these? Are you part of the R&D? It's unusual wear....period. Nothing fatal of endangering the health of you or anyone else......Still don't get your beef but hey, your fight not mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @justasgood said:

>

> > We had a** conference call setup** today, but one of the participants could not make it. My questions are, what is this issue, why did it happen, if the heads are refinished will it happen again? What is the difference in the new heads? What are my options? I am not planning to be unreasonable or a hardass, I just want options so I can make the best choice.

>

> Holy cow! A conference call? Did you pay 1 million dollars for these? Are you part of the R&D? It's unusual wear....period. Nothing fatal of endangering the health of you or anyone else......Still don't get your beef but hey, your fight not mine.

 

Easily impressed are you? ? A conference call is free. Even you can do it on your smartphone. Call up your buddies to talk about a golf trip. You should try it. The wonders of science. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Redhaze737 said:

> Thank you for your thoughts although I disagree that going to the range once or twice a week and playing once or twice a week is a lot, but I'm sure to some it seems that way.

>

> It seems some of you have the wrong impression. I am not looking for perfect irons after playing with them or taking them to the range. I don't use head covers on my irons. I don't mind if they bang into each other. I don't mind if they are scratched up. Golf is played against the ground. Stuff happens. No problem.

>

> The manufacturer says there is a flaw as shown in the wear pattern. Not just me, the manufacturer admits the irons should not look like that. I think that's a key point some of you need to get before you comment. I'm not looking for comments from players who think it looks good or I'm being hard on the manufacturer. The manufacturer say it's wrong.

>

> I'm looking for comments from people who are perhaps reps of high end Japanese clubs or fitters who have seen this issue in high end very well known forged irons and can tell me what was done. Stuff happens, what is done after is important and the information I am seeking.

>

> We had a conference call setup today, but one of the participants could not make it. My questions are, what is this issue, why did it happen, if the heads are refinished will it happen again? What is the difference in the new heads? What are my options? I am not planning to be unreasonable or a hardass, I just want options so I can make the best choice.

 

I think they realized the conference call was not going to appease you, they are either going to fly their team out to you but first they have to meet with accounting and legal to make sure they can offer you the maximum amount without bankrupting the company. Although the set may cost 1K, im sure your pain and suffering is expecting a 8 figure payout. If I remember correctly, didn't u spill hot coffee on your lap once and demanded a warning label to be put on all Mcdonalds cups ???

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Redhaze737 said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > > @Redhaze737 said:

> > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > You have clubs that are wearing after tons of balls over the course of a year. Nothing wrong with the performance. Due to inventory which is usual with most brands after a year or longer depending on when the model was released they can’t do a 1 for 1 replacement. Sounds like the company is standing behind their product. Not sure what the complaint is.

> > > >

> > > > If you like your irons keep playing them and go about your day.

> > >

> > > You call a bucket or 2 a week a ton of balls? I don't have a complaint as much as a question of how to proceed. Thanks.

> >

> > That’s 100-200 balls/week. Over the course of a year that’s 5200-10k+ balls.

> >

> > You asked if you are being unreasonable about what you considered to be a lame excuse by the company. They offered to replace your irons with a different model which isn’t really unreasonable. It’s a cosmetic issue and not performance issue so it’s really a suck it up or take the company up on their offer. It sounds like you don’t care for the irons they are offering so it seems like you don’t want to change and are looking for people to validate your unhappiness

>

> No, that's not it, but thank you for your perspective. See my last post please.

 

Read it and still think you are being unreasonable. Also I not sure how you think 10k balls isn’t a lot.

 

At this point does it really matter why it happened? They told you it’s a flaw and they can’t do anything for you with that iron or replace 1 for 1. They offered you a solution.

 

I get you want to make sure it doesn’t happen again with the new set they would send you. I’m pretty sure the list the information about the new iron on their website and it probably includes the coating on the iron which you could tell if it’s the same as you currently have.

 

My guess is the person who couldn’t make it knew where the call was headed and didn’t want to deal with the headache

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @golow said:

> I had chrome peeling on 714 AP2s (2 clubs).... Titleist replaced whole set, custom shafts, specs no questions asked. Same model was available. Peeling was worse and more obvious than your finish wear to be fair.

>

Thanks for your input. The fitter/dealer says the set should and probably will be replaced with the new model. I’m waiting to see if that’s the way it goes. The heads are very similar and weigh exactly the same. I don’t know the difference in the grind but they are both muscle back blades.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Redhaze737 said:

> > @xxio said:

> > Is it eating into the metal? If not, it could just be some sort of clear coat.

>

> The fitter thinks it’s a coating they put on the SS before the satin chrome finish is applied that is showing. It’s a bronze color.

>

 

 

haha I was just pulling your leg, it does look like a base layer, I think its a nickel coating before the chrome is applied, is it flaking off or just wearing off because it was applied too thin ???? Anyways, they obviously know a mismatched set won't work, since they cant replace the set maybe they will offer to sell u a new set that u like at below cost ???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...