Bandon Solstice - when do they make the offer? Other questions.

shackmangolf

Hi - a few friends and I are on the list for being considered for Solstice at Bandon 2020.

Few questions:

1) When do they make it available?

2) Is it a lottery or does everyone on the list get notified first and then they open to the public?

3) Based on google searches, the annual participation is around 120 golfers. For 4 courses, I would think that they could accomodate close to 300 golfers (1 foursome per 18 holes X 4 courses). Does this not sell out? Does everyone on the list get a spot?

4) Are all courses closed during the solstice and only for solstice participants? Or do they stagger.

I already have a reservation for the week leading up to solstice but really want to add this to our trip.

Thanks!

Hogan Spec Spreadsheet.xls

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have done a lottery in the past, but last year was a first come first served scramble. A call or email to the resort should answer most of these, if any are even known.

My question is: since they'll have five courses by the time the 2020 solstice comes around, how are they structuring the whole event? There's no way anyone could get all five done in one day.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 4 weeks later...

I received the email from the resort today about the event. They switched to an online registration this year, you can book starting at 7am PST on January 8th. Sheep Ranch is not part of it. Not sure about single players.

I was unable to secure a spot last year, it was my first time trying. It was a frustrating experience, but the resort seemed to be overwhelmed by the response and they did the best they could. My major gripe last year was they allowed people to book up to 12 spots, which in my opinion was ridiculous and should have been no more than 4. I didn't see anything about limiting the size of groups this year but I hope that this has been addressed.

Good luck to those who try to get in, I don't think it's in the cards for me this year but it's a bucket list experience for sure, would love to take part in this event.

Dutz, there is an online portal that they are using for this event. There was a link to the portal on the email sent out about the Solstice. I’m not certain if it’s accessible from the regular BD site.

Shackmangolf, there is a schedule of events page on the online portal which shows the routings that they will be using and it did not include the Sheep Ranch. Additionally, they will be starting groups at both 1 & 10 on Bandon Dunes, not sure if that has been done at previous Solstice events, but does seem like a good way to accommodate more players.

Hope that is helpful and good luck to those who try to sign up tomorrow!

Did anyone get through this morning? Got in right at 10 am est and by the time I got through the registration it was already full!?!

Congrats to anyone who got through.

Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver w/Fujikura 757 XStiff
Taylormade 2017 HL 3W 16.5
Ping I20 Hybrids 17 & 20 Stock Stiff
Ping IE 1 5-PW White Dot w/Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6 54.10S & 58.12K

I got in. 2 man. Super excited. Was very quick on the draw, hitting refresh on my browser from t-2 minutes. Luckily, I sign up for lots of space constrained events (endurance events) and know some tips/tricks to be successful.

I feel real lucky. This will be my third trip to Bandon and the place is so special. I cannot wait for the camaraderie of 100+ golfers that will be focused on both the fun and the physical endurance of the event. The party on Tuesday night will be spectacular..... Wednesday morning is going to be painful.

In anticipation of getting into solstice, I booked a Bandon trip starting Friday before Solstice about 3 months ago. Going to be playing 36/day leading into the 72 hole day. Training starts today - physical, mental and alcohol consumption.

My only question is carrying my own bag. To be honest, I am not worried about fatigue but more of 24 miles of straps on my shoulders rubbing them raw. And on what hole I allow myself a drink.

Managed to get in for a two-some, started to hit refresh every 10 seconds on both my phone and my laptop at 6:55. My phone loaded the site about 30 seconds before my laptop, right at 7. Using my iphones pre-loaded personal info, it filled in all my details incredibly quickly. Maybe there is something about using your mobile that helps.

I have a friend who played in the Solstice in 2017, he heard at that time they open 90 spots to the public, and keep 30 spots for VIPs. Apparently Mike Keiser, the owner of BD, was there in 2017 and some Golf Digest and media types. They dont add more spots because they want it to feel unique, and limited, not like a regular day on the courses. Which kind of makes sense with the overall Bandon vibe.

Ill definitely be adding a round at the Sheep Ranch the day before, if I can. I dont think I'll be capable of doing much except relaxing the day after.

Best of luck in 2021 for those that didnt make, for those that did this year message me and lets have a GolfWrx'er drink at the Punchbowl.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I called about a week after the Solstice draw/registration, to see what was available for the Monday. I was surprised with the amount availability, we could have played pretty much any course we wanted and definitely could have got 36 in. 36 on Monday was the original plan, but in the end we opted against for two reasons:

1) We wanted to be 100% fresh for 85 holes on Solstice Day, and thought 36 might just have a small effect on that.

2) We didnt want to miss any of the welcome event at the Punchbowl and it starts at 4 on the Monday.

Our plan is a solid warm up session at the range, and an 11am tee time at Sheep Ranch. We dont get in until 9am on the Monday.

Looking to pick up a few new pairs of shoes with the Solstice trip in mind. Being a first timer I'll swap shoes and socks after each round but I was curious (I realize shoes can be a fairly subjective item in regards to what's comfortable for each individual) for those that have gone in the past as to what shoe setup you've gone with? I currently routinely walk 18 in Adidas tour boost 360's.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys - in anticipation of Solstice, I went a bit overboard and started a podcast dedicated to the event. I started it back in January and then work got in the way. I got it launched this week with time on my hands due to quarantine. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed us in regards to the 2020 event.

Feel free to listen. If you have anything to add, ping me and we will get you on the podcast. If you have topics you would like covered, hit us up. And follow us on IG for daily content and tips/tricks for Solstice.

Bragger84 was already a guest and its a good listen. New episodes drop on Tuesdays. So far we have some good interviews with a 6x participant (CEO of Seamus) and the head of operations of Bandon. I also have an interview with a TPI certified trainer to talk fitness and hopefully trying to get a mental coach lined up as well. Bandon Dunes Solstice Podcast

IG handle is bandonsolstice.

And for those that think I am promoting a commercial interest, I am not. This is simply a passion project to celebrate a cool event. So please don't get me flagged. Or, if you have an issue with this post, ping me with suggestions on how to speak about it on GOLFWRX without getting flagged.

Last, I am a 30+ handicap when it comes to podcasting. Any tips welcome on how to make it better.

Looking forward to checking out these podcasts, Shackman.

I tried for the first time this year but didn't get in. I should've employed my auto refresh and autofill tactics I use for Scotty Cameron but didn't see this thread beforehand to learn how fast it would go.

It occurred to me last night that they might get a few cancellations thanks to covid so now I'm back on the hunt for a spot. I assume the best way at this point is to just call reservations periodically in hopes that somebody dropped out? I checked last night and they said it was still full.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...