Adventure to Break 85 Again

bortass

1 minute ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I suggest you delete the evidence until you get used to swinging on camera. 

Unlike pounds, the camera doesn't add 10 yards 😉

I doubt that will happen but who knows. I used to swing on camera fine but I think it was just the fact i was only doing it to post here. So some performance anxiety perhaps. Once I find the cable I'll see what I have and if there's anything worth posting. I'm pretty sure i got a couple decent swings, just not great ones based on the ball flight.

11 hours ago, bortass said:

Made it to the range and it was a bit of a disaster. I warmed up the usual way and it went real good. I hit a couple full 7i shots and that was great. So I setup the camera to film my swing and it all went to crap.  I was thinking about the camera and it was just a complete mess. So I stopped and hit some balls and it didn't take long to hit a perfect shot. Turn camera back on and a complete mess yet again. I was getting very frustrated which didn't help any. So I turned the camera off and hit a few more before calling it.

So where's the video? I can't find the USB cable to connect the camera to my computer, lol. So I have some video at 210 FPS that I can't share yet. I had the cable early last year, so it's here someplace. Once I find it I will upload the better swings that I captured.

Don't worry. Your good swings will be the same as your bad swings. I assure that you won't notice the difference. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bortass said:

Made it to the range and it was a bit of a disaster. I warmed up the usual way and it went real good. I hit a couple full 7i shots and that was great. So I setup the camera to film my swing and it all went to crap.  I was thinking about the camera and it was just a complete mess. So I stopped and hit some balls and it didn't take long to hit a perfect shot. Turn camera back on and a complete mess yet again. I was getting very frustrated which didn't help any. So I turned the camera off and hit a few more before calling it.

So where's the video? I can't find the USB cable to connect the camera to my computer, lol. So I have some video at 210 FPS that I can't share yet. I had the cable early last year, so it's here someplace. Once I find it I will upload the better swings that I captured.

Do you have a smartphone? YouTube account? I video my swing fairly regularly, although far less recently than I used to, and would find it such a pain to have to hook my camera up to a computer, wait for it to upload, edit on computer then upload to wherever. I take video with my phone (usually at 1/8 x slow motion) and can quickly crop out everything but the swing itself and easily upload to YouTube for sharing on here. All done on my phone. Just a thought that might make videoing yourself an easier endeavor. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Do you have a smartphone? YouTube account? I video my swing fairly regularly, although far less recently than I used to, and would find it such a pain to have to hook my camera up to a computer, wait for it to upload, edit on computer then upload to wherever. I take video with my phone (usually at 1/8 x slow motion) and can quickly crop out everything but the swing itself and easily upload to YouTube for sharing on here. All done on my phone. Just a thought that might make videoing yourself an easier endeavor. 

Yes to both but I don't have the gear to do it with my phone. I don't have an inclination to video my swing enough to go get a tripod or tripod mount that will hold a phone. The camera I use is actually smaller than a deck of cards and works great but it's kinda useless if I can't get the video onto the computer to edit and upload, lol. I'm still looking around, unfortunately I don't have a SDcard reader on my desktop to go that route. 

Maybe I'll have to join the 21st century at some point...🤣😜

Update - we may have an SD card reader floating around. If I find it, I'll get the so very awesome video of my swing uploaded for the ensuing LOLs

Edited by bortass
  • Like 1

I watched the putting videos from UTB 2.0 and Monte mentioned something I wasn't aware of. The hips shouldn't be rotating when you putt. I really don't know if I do that or not but his comment was most people do. I got to the range for about 45 minutes and spend the last 15 or so putting. Mostly shorter putts but all were from different spots, so there was no worry about always hitting the same putt over and over again. The focus was on not moving my hips and holding the finish with the putter. Yes, Monte talked about that too. It went very well. I managed to sink a fair number of my longer putts as in 6+ feet out. I also found that I was getting the ball either next to the hole or past it. None were left short. No breakthrough or anything but I'll keep at it and slowly improve my putting which will really help.

I also watched some clips from UTB 1.0, which is free now. I have UTB 2.0 and have watched it a few times but thought maybe something different would help. The main thing I got out of it was letting the weight of the clubhead set and release the wrists. Monte said a good way to get the feel is to chip with just your right hand. So my warmup for the 30 minutes I was hitting balls was chipping. I started with both hands and had issues blading it. Went to right hand only and it quickly got better but there's not control. Tried both hands again and the mishits started up again.

Hit some half wedges and 7i shots and they were decent too. My full 7i got better when I improved my tempo AND started the downswing with the bump of the left hip. That is not a move I normally do in my swing and it really seemed to help. So I'll keep at it and see how things shake out. Used my 4w off the deck for a bit and that went very well. I ended with just seeing what happens if I try a partial swing with my 4w. I used a pretty armsy swing for the most part and the ball comes out real low and runs. So it might be a useful shot if I'm in trees and want to try to go a fair distance, as long as I don't care about the actual carry.

What is your instructor's feedback on what you're doing?

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

46 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

What is your instructor's feedback on what you're doing?

Nothing related to the swing itself as of yet. I plan to try to video more swings to see what I pick up on. I couldn't seem to hit the ball with the camera running. I'd get to the top and then it felt like I was getting quick down into the ball. I know my tempo was off and part of that was just self imposed pressure aka I needed some good swings to post. When I wasn't doing it 'on film' I just got more and more frustrated.

What I do know is when I do what was covered in the first lesson, my ball flight is excellent. High and straight, with either a slight draw or fade. I'm hopeful that I can actually catch that on video. The second lesson was more about setup with driver, my woods and the hybrid.

As an aside, is the camera positioned correctly in the DTL view? I tried to get it close to waist high and lined up with the ball. Not sure if that's the correct place for it or not.

10 minutes ago, bortass said:

Nothing related to the swing itself as of yet. I plan to try to video more swings to see what I pick up on. I couldn't seem to hit the ball with the camera running. I'd get to the top and then it felt like I was getting quick down into the ball. I know my tempo was off and part of that was just self imposed pressure aka I needed some good swings to post. When I wasn't doing it 'on film' I just got more and more frustrated.

What I do know is when I do what was covered in the first lesson, my ball flight is excellent. High and straight, with either a slight draw or fade. I'm hopeful that I can actually catch that on video. The second lesson was more about setup with driver, my woods and the hybrid.

As an aside, is the camera positioned correctly in the DTL view? I tried to get it close to waist high and lined up with the ball. Not sure if that's the correct place for it or not.

I believe it should be in line with and the same height as the hands. 

https://www.golfwrx.com/160889/use-the-proper-proper-camera-alignment-when-filming-your-swing/

I need to get a proper tripod instead of my push cart, because I think my camera position is too high (and I usually don't do a very good job of aligning it on the hand position). 

I'm no expert on the golf swing, but it seems like you take the club away from the ball under plane and inside, from which point it's natural to compensate and reroute it over the top on the downswing. A little more steep on the backswing makes it easier to shallow on the downswing. But don't listen to me--listen to your pro.

• Thanks 1

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

7 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I believe it should be in line with and the same height as the hands. 

https://www.golfwrx.com/160889/use-the-proper-proper-camera-alignment-when-filming-your-swing/

I need to get a proper tripod instead of my push cart, because I think my camera position is too high (and I usually don't do a very good job of aligning it on the hand position). 

I'm no expert on the golf swing, but it seems like you take the club away from the ball under plane and inside, from which point it's natural to compensate and reroute it over the top on the downswing. A little more steep on the backswing makes it easier to shallow on the downswing. But don't listen to me--listen to your pro.

Thanks for the link. I'll try that out next time. I have a small tripod that fits in my golf bag and it's fine for what we are doing. What's funny is that article mentions a Casio which is what I use. Not sure why I can't get it to keep the video smaller, so it's not as grainy but it works and I use the 210 FPS option. There's a higher FPS setting but that's not good to use unless you really want to see what's going on and have time to just sit there to see a really slow swing, lol.

5 minutes ago, bortass said:

Thanks for the link. I'll try that out next time. I have a small tripod that fits in my golf bag and it's fine for what we are doing. What's funny is that article mentions a Casio which is what I use. Not sure why I can't get it to keep the video smaller, so it's not as grainy but it works and I use the 210 FPS option. There's a higher FPS setting but that's not good to use unless you really want to see what's going on and have time to just sit there to see a really slow swing, lol.

I just use my phone (Google Pixel 5). It can do full speed 30 FPS, 1/4 speed 120 FPS, and 1/8 speed 240 FPS. I really am impressed by how incredibly sharp and focused it is at 240 FPS. 

I usually film ~5 swings in a row, then will copy them over to my PC to trim into a bunch of individual videos and take out the extra time before and after the swing. I suppose I could do all that on the phone itself, but I hate working on a little phone.

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

What are you working on?

I had been trying to work on NTC but my focus was mostly cast B since it's easy to work with a partial wedge shot which i hit a lot on the course and range. I have done some on range drills for cast A but it's not part of my swing. I haven't been taking lessons and had my first with someone new a few weeks ago. The big takeaways were my tempo and getting the full finish because I would stop my swing and be looking off to the right by a good 30-40 degrees.  The notes he sent me were:

The notes he sent me:

Shoulder to shoulder

smooth swing and pose

follow through with every shot

Keep feet shoulder distance apart.

Long irons give a small amount of loft.

Divots should be in front of the ball not before

Driver - slow smooth swing, follow through and pose.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bortass said:

I had been trying to work on NTC but my focus was mostly cast B since it's easy to work with a partial wedge shot which i hit a lot on the course and range. I have done some on range drills for cast A but it's not part of my swing. I haven't been taking lessons and had my first with someone new a few weeks ago. The big takeaways were my tempo and getting the full finish because I would stop my swing and be looking off to the right by a good 30-40 degrees.  The notes he sent me were:

The notes he sent me:

Shoulder to shoulder

smooth swing and pose

follow through with every shot

Keep feet shoulder distance apart.

Long irons give a small amount of loft.

Divots should be in front of the ball not before

Driver - slow smooth swing, follow through and pose.

Okay, the first thing this guy should have talked about is posture. I know that you're on the heavier build side, but you still have way too much butt sticking out behind you. How tall are you? I think it'll be a lot easier for you to make a better backswing with improved posture. 

RE NTC: Your first move is to push the club out away from you instead of cocking your wrists. You then roll your forearms which gets you deep and flat at P3. It's so hard to recover from that. 

Start with posture though. I wrote a post about how to find dynamic balance every single time using the body's innate ability to keep you upright. I urge you to work on this and see what happens. It'll change every aspect of your swing and make life so much easier. 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1797512-how-to-find-the-correct-set-up-every-single-time/

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Okay, the first thing this guy should have talked about is posture. I know that you're on the heavier build side, but you still have way too much butt sticking out behind you. How tall are you? I think it'll be a lot easier for you to make a better backswing with improved posture. 

RE NTC: Your first move is to push the club out away from you instead of cocking your wrists. You then roll your forearms which gets you deep and flat at P3. It's so hard to recover from that. 

Start with posture though. I wrote a post about how to find dynamic balance every single time using the body's innate ability to keep you upright. I urge you to work on this and see what happens. It'll change every aspect of your swing and make life so much easier. 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1797512-how-to-find-the-correct-set-up-every-single-time/

Yeah, I'm a fair bit overweight but I'm working on it. I'm around 6'2.

The posture thing has been in the back of my mind for the last year or so. I think I have looked at what you posted but will revisit that and what Monte has in his EE series.

Re NTC: I watched the drill for the first part of the backswing again this morning and I'm not doing it correctly at all. So I will  work on that part along with the posture. 

Edited by bortass
  • Like 1

Got out for a quick 9, No one in front of me and while I didn't rush, I was done in 72 minutes. It was 89* out but not too humid. No warmup, so my first swing was the drive on #1. I made the mistake of trying to make swing changes during the round which is a mistake for me. I abandoned it on #2 because I just need to use my normal swing when I'm playing.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. I mess around with my posture and my drive is a low fade down the right side, 204 yards, with the wind. I'm in the fairway and the hole is on the right side behind the bunker. It's 190ish and I decide to hit my 4w. I top it 93 yards down the fairway. Now I'm around 90 something yards out and Arccos is saying AW. I think it may not be enough club since it's 87 yards to carry the bunker but I go with it. Contact is good and it's a high shot that I can tell will be short. It lands on the back slope of the bunker about 1 – 2 feet short of the lip and rolls back down, 81 yard shot. Well that was a mistake. I screw up the sand shot and it lands in the grass barely outside of the bunker, kicks dead right and back in. My next sand shot gets plenty of gas and I send it 21 feet past the hole. The double bogey putt misses and I have 3 feet for triple. I do sink that putt for 7.

Not a good start. I have to remember to not trust Arccos with some recommendations.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is front left and about 130ish which is an 8i. I mess with my posture and top the ball 70 yards into the rough well short of the hole. I decide at this point that I just need to play my normal game and leave the adjustments to the range. I hit a partial SW and it's a bit low but lands on the green. I can't see what happens because of the lip of the left bunker but I should be on. It's a 69 yard shot that ended up 18 feet past the hole. My par putt misses and I make the remaining 2 footer for bogey, 4.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. My drive is a great looking high draw that goes through the fairway past the corner, 229 yards. I'm in the left rough and decide to hit my 5i. I'm not confident with woods or hybrid from the rough. Contact is decent and it's a low shot that goes 132 yards down the fairway. The flag is back left and the GPS says about 116. A full 9i is about 120ish but I don't want to go long. I decide to hit a partial 9i instead. It's a bit of a pull but the ball come sout decently. It's a low draw that lands on the left edge of the greens and rolls a yard into the rough off the left side, 116 yards. I use my putter to chip it to a foot and make the tap-in for par, 5.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I catch the ball on the bottom of my driver and it's a real low fade that gets maybe 4-6 feet off the ground. It carries into the fairway and rolls out, 189 yards total. The flag is forward and about 90 yards, so partial PW. I make good contact and the ball come sout high and lands on the green. It's a 100 yard shot and I'm 9 feet behind the hole. The birdie putt catches the lip on the low side and stays out. I have a 3 footer for par and make it, 4.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. Another mishit low of the face and it's a low fade into the right rough. I have a bad angle and decide to hit my 5i past the corner. I make real good contact and it's a high draw that lands in the fairway and bounces, 166 yard shot. The hole is middle front and behind the tiny stream. I'm 170ish out, so a very solid 5i or decent 7w could get me there. I don't like it though, too much risk. I hit a little punch with my 8i and advance the ball 106 yards down the fairway. I'm now 70ish yards out and partial SW time. My hands are getting damp from sweat and I don't put a glove on. Things are a bit off with the sweat in my hands and I catch it real thin. The ball lands on the green and almost rolls into the bunker on the left side, 84 yards. I chip with my putter and it's too low. I end up 5 feet below the hole. I have a pretty straight uphill putt now and sink the putt for bogey, 6.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I hit another low fade, 195 yards, that ends up on the right side of the fairway. The hole is front right and it's 170ish to the middle. I go with my 7w and make good contact but it's a push, 157 yards, that misses the green to the right. I think my face may have been a touch open at address, which is something that came up in last weeks lesson. I'm in the rough and chip with my SW. It's a mishit that comes out real low and the ball lands on the edge of the green and rolls to 11 feet directly under the hole. I have an uphill par putt and it's tracking pretty good and takes a sharp curve towars the hole inside the last foot and stops 3 inches short of the cup... Tap-in for bogey, 5.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. It's into the wind and I hit a great looking high fade that lands in the middle of the fairway and kicks forward. It's a 235 yard shot and I'm in the fairway. It would be a great location but there's this odd low spot that I'm standing in. So the ball is above my feet even though it's a pretty level lie. The hole is back right and 130ish. I'm not sold on a full swing with the ball above my feet like this. I decide to hit a partial 8i. I chunk it but because I kept the swing going, it come sout okay. It's a low push, 112 yards, into the right rough. I chip with my SW again and this time I make good contact. The ball comes out high, lands on the green and stops 21 feet short of the hole. I mishit chips too muh to feel safe with a larger swing that will send me who knows where if I blade it. My par putt misses and I make the 2 footer that remained for bogey, 5.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. Hole is forward and Arccos is saying 8i, into the wind. I decide to hit a partial 8i again. Contact is real good and it's tracking at the green. The ball lands short of the green and stops in the fringe about 2 feet short of the putting surface. It was a 129 yard shot and I'm quite happy with it. I chip with my putter and I know it's too firm right away. It's heading for the hole and I tell my ball to hit it, which it does. It hits the hole and then the flagstick which slows it down and I'm just 3 feet behind the hole now. Well, I two putt from there for a bogey, 4.

Crap.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I hit a great looking fade down the right side and just into the right rough, 225 yards. My lie is good and the hole is back left. It's 160ish back there and a 5i. I decide to hit a 6i more for the middle. Something is off with my setup and I hit a low pull hook. The balls is traveling over the pond and the curve keeps it over it. The ball lands on the far bank about 6 inches from the edge and pops back into the water. I drop in the fairway on my line where it crossed my side since it never made it past the red stakes near the green. I'm 65 yards closer and it's now a partial PW. I make very good contact and it's a high draw to the back of the green. It lands left of the flag and rolls into the rough behind the green. I have a downhill chip with my putter and I get it to 3 feet. KI make the double bogey putt, 6.

A 46. I feel that this was a positive round. Nothing great happened but nothing terrible either. Sure the triple and double suck but neither was the end of the world. I did have some chances to get my score lower and didn't execute but it'll happen someday. What I liked about this round is once again I wasn't perfect but still kept it near bogey golf. Also the partial shots with the irons were good. I'll start using those more as the situation warrants.

I obviously have work cut out for me after watching the recent video of my swing. I'll try to work on things on the range and eventually it'll filter into my swing. 18 tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

birdies: 0

pars: 2

bogeys: 5

double bogeys: 1

triple+: 1

Some stats:

Avg drive: 207 yards

Longest drive: 235 yards

Fairways: 4/7

GIR: 1/9

Avg Approach: 107 yards

Up & down: 3/7

Putts: 15

Strokes gained compared to a 12 HCP. 

Overall: -3.5 strokes

driving: -1.4

Approach: -3.5

Short game: +1.6

Putting: -0.2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bortass said:

Bunker picture from this morning. No sand…..

3B718C95-C609-440C-9DFD-284A284129FD.jpeg.f69c188c5fab83f1d3bf3da8b95ca945.jpeg

UTB2.0 talks about hitting out of those lies...

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

On 7/31/2021 at 1:04 PM, bortass said:

Yup, that’s the way I hit my sand shot but all I’m doing lately is blading it when the club skips into the ball. Fun stuff….

What’s your bounce like on your wedges? Bounce is not your friend in hard pan… I carry a low bounce 58 for this exact reason… the 54 does the majority of the work, but if I’m worried it can’t dig, I go low bounce… wet sand, hard pan… I’ve heard even in thick rough you want low bounce…

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

21 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

What’s your bounce like on your wedges? Bounce is not your friend in hard pan… I carry a low bounce 58 for this exact reason… the 54 does the majority of the work, but if I’m worried it can’t dig, I go low bounce… wet sand, hard pan… I’ve heard even in thick rough you want low bounce…

9 degrees for my PW, AW, and SW. I’m wondering about a 60 with 6 degrees of bounce.

I don’t expose the bounce and use a square face but the bunkers are getting worse. Last year it was fine and now I’m hitting solid clay just under the top of the sand. It happened to me today. I expected it and didn’t swing hard but still bounced into the ball. I’ll either figure something out or learn to avoid the bunkers, lol. At least they are an actual hazard now….

• Like 1

Saturday's round. it was 79 degrees and sunny when we teed off and 90 when we finished. Humidity was bad, which is nice. I was plenty early and had a lot of time to warm up. I used SW, 7i, and 4w to warm up and it went very well. I worked on putting after that and it was positive as well.

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. I hit a decent looking fade 229 yards down the left side that curved back near the middle of the fairway. The hole is on the back right behind the sole bunker. It's 170ish and I decide to go for it with my 7w. Contact is okay and I hit a 160 yard shot a touch low and to the right. My ball ends up under some small trees that are between the first green and the 9th tee. I am fairly close to the green bu can't use a wedge because I'm standing under the trees and any shot that gets 5+ feet high risks hitting branches at the edge of the trees. I decide to chip with my 5i which will keep it low. This isn;t something I practice but it's a basic stroke. The issue is speed control. I don't want to hit it too hard, so I leave it short of the green in the rough on an upslope. It feels like there's too much rough to use my putter with, so I try to chip with my SW. I catch the blade a bit and the ball goes 23 feet past the hole. I get the bogey putt to 2 feet and wind up with a double bogey, 6.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is in the middle front of the green. I hit a high pull with my 7i, 128 yards, into the back of the front left bunker. Well it's not really a pull, I'm pretty sure I aimed a bit too left. So this is a bunker that I know has hard clay covered by maybe a ¼ inch of sand. I try to adjust but no dice. I still skip my wedge into the ball and it goes 27 feet past the hole. Not unexpected, so I'm not upset about it. Execution sucked but I can live with it. I'm putting down slope with a left to right break and I get my ball to 2 feet. I sink the bogey putt, 4.

A slightly better start than last week when I tripled both 1&2.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. I hit a great looking fade around the corner, 233 yards, and it set me up in the fairway on the right side. The hole is on the right today. I don't have a direct line nor can I see it because there's a small spine of the right hand slope that juts out near 100 yards out. It opens up again on the right just past that slope, so it just protects the right side of the green from approaches from the right unless you can skirt or get over the trees on the slope.

I'm 210 from center and wait for the green to clear. I know it will take a great shot with my 4w to reach but I don't want to risk it. I also don't want to possibly drop a ball within 20 yards of the green while the group in front is putting. I make very solid contact with my 4w and get a great looking high fade, around the spine, that's heading for the right side of the green. It's a 181 yard shot and I'm in the rough just short of the leftmost bunker that guards the front right of this green. I'm in great shape! I have to chip/pitch over the bunker and fail to do so... Great another bunker shot... I make the normal setup and swing that worked earlier in the year and all of last year. My SW skips into the ball off the clay again and I'm in the back right bunker now... There's no lip and I decide to putt out. I leave it in the fringe... I use my putter again and get it to 3 feet. I'm over my putt and one of the guys is standing in a way that I see the shadow of his head moving in my line as I'm looking at my ball. I'm thinking about that and miss the putt. So a triple bogey, 8 and the first of the blowups on the day.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. I aim for my usual cell phone tower in the distance. I hit a great drive, high with just a bit of curve. It was so subtle I can't recall oif it was a draw or a fade. Regardless it's a 239 yard shot and I'm in the fairway near the green. The hole is on the right side and near the middle/front. The green is offset from the fairway to the right a bit. So if I look straight down the line of the fiarway from where my ball is, I'm be looking at bunkers and rough. So my shot will cross the front of the left side of the green. It's 50ish yards and I hit a partial SW. It's a high shot that misses high and the ball rolls to the back right of the green, 69 yard shot. I'm 51 feet above the hole and it'll break left to right. It's also down slope. I hit the putt and it's 6 feet short. The guy whose shadow threw me off on 3 has his ball inside mine and on a similar line. So as I'm over my 6 footer, I see his shadow coming from behind me. I miss again and end up with a bogey, 5.

I have learned something new. Sound and movement tends to not bother me but if I can see a shadow from a player and it's moving while I'm over my putt, it messes me up. It never happened again during the round and I'll back out and say something next time.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. I hit a dead pull draw/hook into the left trees... It's a hazard and no sign of my ball. I'm not surprised because it went in a good 10+ feet off the ground and was moving fast. I drop 127 yards off the tee where the ball likely went in. My only option is to layup short of the corner. I don't want to try to hit a wood past the corner with a little stream on the left and then again on the right past the corner. I hit a low punch with my SW, 90 yards, down the fairway. I can now clear the corner and go with 4w. It's a solid high shot, 178 yards, into the face of the slope on the left of the fairway and it kicks right but doesn't make it back to the fairway. The hole is front right and about 110 yards away. The ball is below my feet and I have a touch of a down slope as well. I want to hit a partial 9i and I blade it 93 yards into the rough short of the green. I hit a chip and leave it short of the green... I chip with my putter to 2 feet and make that putt for a triple bogey, 8.

Blowup #2 out of the way....

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I hit a low fade with my driver down the right side, 190 yards. I'm in the fairway with a level lie and the hole is towards the front left. It's 180ish to center and I go for it with my 4w. It's a great looking high draw that lands on the right side of the green and releases to the back near the middle of the green, 187 yard shot. I'm 57 feet above the hole and it's down slope and breaking right to left. I hit my birdie putt and it's rolling at the hole and the ball stops pin high and within a foot. Tap-in for par, 4.

Finally a par!

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. My driver twists in my back swing for some reason and I hit a high push fade OOB. No clue what happened. I hit a provisional and it's a nice mid height show down the left side of the fairway, 233 yards. I can't find my ball and have to play the provisional. I'm in the left rough and the hole is front right. It's 120ish, so I go with 8i. The rough slows down my clubhead and I hit a low shot, 108 yards, into the front bunker that covers the middle and left of this green. I have been bladeing my bunker shots, so I swing slower and leave the ball in the sand. I get the next one out and 15 feet past the hole. I took the bunker picture posted above after this shot since I was frustrated with the bunkers and wanted to share even though this one didn't have the clay right after the sand. I two putt from 15 feet for a quad, 8.

Blow-up 3 is over.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is middle right and about a 7i. I aim for the middle and hit a high draw over the left side of the green, 163 yards. Again, I think I was aimed a touch more left than I thought. I'm too far into the rough to use my putter, so I chip with my SW. I actually hit this one decent and it lands on the green and rolls out. A 23 yard chip and I'm 9 feet below the hole. I hit my par putt to inside 6 inches. Tap-in bogey, 4.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. I smoke a draw down the right side, 236 yards into the wind. The hole is front left and it's about 130ish. I have to carry the corner of the pond and it's into the wind, so I use my 7i. I hit a great looking shot, 137 yards, that lands on the green past the hole and rolls into the fringe off the left side. I am above the hole and going down the slope of a hump in the rough and I have to go down the tier in the green. I chip with my putter and the ball rolls 18 yards and stops 6 feet from the hole on the low side. I nail the par putt dead center, 4.

Well the front 9 is over and it's been a disaster.

10 – par 4, 342 yards, dogleg left, #10 HCP hole. Elevated tee shot to a lower fairway. Green is elevated with a bunker front right. I hit a high fairly straight shot, 220 yards, into the right side of the fairway and almost through the corner. The hole is back right and blocked by the trees on the right. I'm noit brave enough to try to go over them, so I aim left of where the hole is and hit my 6i. It's very nice looking shot that land son the green but since it's elevated, I can't see what happens. I'm in the back fringe near the middle, 139 yard shot. I chip with my putter, 15 yards, and leave it 15 feet short... I knew I didn't hit it firm enough right away. I look things over and sink the par putt, 4.

Yay, a good start of the new 9.

11 – par 4, 329 yards, 90* dogleg left, #12 HCP. Fairway eventually slopes down to a stream short of the green, forced carry. I tee off with my 7w again and aim for the leftmost fairway bunker that's through the fairway past the corner. I hit an awesome high draw that lands in the fairway and kisks left and takes a bit of the slope, 218 yards....LOL. The hole is front left and 90ish yards. I'm above the green and Arccos is suggesting my AW. I'm a bit leery but I have elevation in my favor. If I go with PW, I need to aim for the middle of the green because a long miss at the hole is going in a bunker on the left side of the green. So this is probably a sucker pin and being a sucker I go for it with my AW. I hit my normal partial shot and the ball comes out nice and high and it heading for the hole. I'm hoping I gave it enough juice and the ball lands in the rough just short of the green and rolls on, 91 yard shot. I'm 12 feet below the hole and hit my birdie putt a couple of feet long. I sink the par putt, 4.

12 – par 4, 315 yards, 90* dogleg left, #14 HCP, green is elevated. Narrow tee shot that opens as you reach the corner. I hit a low drive down the left side, 212 yards, into the fairway and past the corner. The hole is back left. It's 90 something yards and I go with a partial PW. I aim too far left and hit a great looking shot into the slope to the left of the green and cart path, 99 yards. I'm in long rough and on a down slope. I have to chip with my SW and it's too firm, the ball runs out 21 feet past the hole. I get the par putt to a foot and tap-in for a bogey.

I need to pay attention to my aim more. This is happening too often.

13 – par 3, 123 yards, #18 HCP, green is elevated with bunkers short right and left and long left. Tiered green as well. The hole is back right and 128 yards. It's my 8i and I aim left of the hole since the green slopes left to right. I hit my shot and it's a great looking high draw that lands on the upper tier of the green to the left of the hole. The elevation and tier make it so I can't see my ball at all. Drive up and I'm 2 feet out on the left side. I drain the birdie putt, 2.

14 – par 4, 543, straight hole, #4 HCP. Elevated teeshot to wide open fairway. Fairway slopes down left to right, water on the right closer to the green and fronting the entire green. Something is off with my address but I wasn't sure what. It didn't feel quite right and I swing away. It's a high push fade heading for houses on the right. I hit a provisional and it's a decent shot down the middle. I find my first ball in bounds, 220 yards off the tee, in the rough and on the right side slope. Ball is above my feet and I figure I'll hit my 7i to get it into play. I fluff it about 13 yards and it stays on the hill. I try again and this time it's off the toe and shots off to the dead right further up the slope towards OOB. Pretty much 30- 45 degrees right of my target line. The ball only went 47 yards and I actually find it in bounds. I whack a 5i 76 yards to get into the fairway. I have a good lie and decide to go for the green with my 4w. The hole is back left, and this is a long narrow green. The front edge of the green is only 160ish yards away with bunkers behind that. It's not the wisest shot but whatever. I make very solid contact and it's a low fade that's well left of where I wanted to hit it. The ball hits the the slope that's to the left of the cart path and I find my ball in the rough behind the green on the left side, 212 yards. I have to pitch/chip over a bunker which I do but my ball ends up in the fringe to the left of the hole. I chip with my putter to 3 feet and lose focus. It's a two putt for a quad, 9.

Blowup #4 in the books

15 – par 4, 264 yards, straight, #16 HCP. Elevated tee shot to a fairway that is always soft abd cart path only year round. Fairway bunkers on left side in line with the green. Bunker surround this green except for the left side. I decide to aim more left and try to drive the green. I hit a low draw, 207 yards, into the rough just past the first fairway bunker that protects the front left of the green from this type of play. The hole is near the front and it's 40ish yards. I hit a partial Sw and it's a good shot that hits the green and rolls out towards the back. I have a 31 foot putt for birdie and miss. I have 2 feet for par and miss when I don't commit to hitting it firm, bogey 5.

Sigh...

16 – par 3, 147 yards, #8 HCP. Elevated green with a forced stream carry. Bunkers short right and long left and middle. Tiered green with a strong back left to front right slope. The hole is on the right again and I hit my 6i. It's a great looking high draw that lands to the right of middle and rolls a bit towards the hole, 147 yards. I'm 14 feet above and left of the hole. I'm putting down slope and my birdie putt catches the low lip and hops out. I have a tap-in for par, 3.

17 – par 4, 363 yards, dogleg left, #6 HCP. Fairly open fairway with bunkers on the right at the corner. Green has a tier and heavily slopes left to right, can putt off this green... Bunkers short of the green as well. I hit a high fade towards the right side of the fairway, 215 yards. I'm in a good spot and the hole is on the right. The green slops pretty sharply left to right so I aim left of the hole. I'm 150ish out and hit my 6i. Unfortunately I hit it off the edge of the toe and it only goes 111 yards and lands in the rough short of the bunker that guards the front right. I have to chip/pitch over the bunker and make good contact with my SW. The ball pops up in the air and lands on the green, stopping 6 feet from the hole. The putt drops for par, 4.

18 – par 5, 504 yards, straightish, #2 HCP. There is a stream carry on either the second or third shot. There is also a pond fronting the green... I top my drive 60 yards into the rough short of the lady's tees.. LOL. Well I mentioned Saturday afternoon that I had 5 blow ups and this is the last one. I'll save the details. It took me 4 shots to get short of the stream and have a shot across versus the normal 1 – 2 shots. I also 3 putt from 24 feet and ended with a quad, 9.

A 51/45 for 96 with 3 8s and 2 9s. I was very surprised I shot as low as I did. I was very surprised to have a 45 on the back with 18 strokes on two holes. Short game killed me. No other way to say it. Also recovery shots killed me on 14 and 18. I just struggled for various above/below feet lies in the rough.

I played another 9 Sunday and will get that round posted later. It will have more overall thoughts on my game.

birdies: 1

pars: 6

double bogeys: 1

triple+: 5

Some stats:

Avg drive: 203 yards

Longest drive: 239 yards

Fairways: 11/14

GIR: 6/18

Avg Approach: 119 yards

Up & down: 3/13

Putts: 34

Overall: -11.2 strokes

driving: -2.8

Approach: -3.7

Short game: -4.0 I bit....

Putting: -0.7

Well, ya got me...

When you asked the question earlier, I did *NOT* expect that you were going to break 100 with 42 strokes on only 5 holes lol...

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Nice work overall I'd say. 

I consider my bunker play above my pay grade, so I'll offer some insight.

Firm bunkers:

I take my lob wedge(58°, 12° bounce) and open it up a shade.  Less than normal, but still open.  I dig my feet in until my soles are mostly covered - this is important and might take some effort in a firm, poorly maintained bunker.  I want my feet below the ball to encourage a fat sandy shot. 

I take a more aggressive downward swing, ensuring I hit and dig behind the ball.  I do not hit it lightly and use the clubs bounce.  My hands are forward of the ball at impact and I do not flip them.  Getting cute with a light swing/chip doesn't consistently work for me.  It is just too easy to blade or fat.  The intended result is a low spin roller.  My technique is varied by how the bunker feels as I dig my feet in. 

Firm bunkers like this will give everyone trouble from time to time.  IMHO, they are worlds more difficult than a soft manicured bunker.  Make a good swing and move on with whatever the result is. 

• Thanks 1

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Got out for a quick 9 Sunday with my wife driving the cart. It was mid 80s and fairly dry. No warm up, just my drive on 1 being my first swing. There was a family with a couple younger kids in front of us and they let us play through on #2. It's great seeing families on the course!

1 – par 4, 404 yards, straight, #1 HCP, bunker front right. I hit a high fade down the right side into the right edge of the fairway, 214 yards. I'm 180-190 out and hit my 4w. Contact is great but I was aimed too far left and sent it into the range. Some mounds slowed the ball down and I find it 167 yards from the prior spot. I have about 50ish yards to go since I'm so far left. My partial SW is well stuck and ends up going 64 yards, leaving me 60 feet past the hole. I leave the par putt 11 feet short, so a three putt double bogey, 6.

2 – par 3, 142 yards, #17 HCP, bunkers short left and right, and long left. The hole is on the left and I use my 7i. The family with two young kids in front of us let me play though. My aim is off to the left again and I hit a pull into the left hazard. I find my ball on the edge but I can't get a club on it, so I drop 125 yards off the tee. I have to carry the front left bunker to reach the hole. I pitch with my SW and make good contact. It's nice and high and lands on the green stopping 6 feet below the hole. I'm close to the one ball that's on the green from the family. I have a clear putt though. I hit the bogey putt and it stops inside 4 inches. Tap-in double bogey, 5.

Well not a great start but I've had worse.

3 – par 5, 458 yards, dogleg right, #9 HCP, couple of fairway bunkers on the left at the corner. The wind is behind me, so I hit a low fade around the corner, 206 yards. No wind assist for me, lol. I'm in the fairway and the hole is on the back left. I can't reach and decide to hit my 4w to get close. I swing and hit it off the sweet spot. It's a high draw to the left side of the fairway, short of the green, 208 yards. I'm 40ish yards from the hole and mishit my pitch off the toe. It only goes 25 yards and stops in the fringe short of the green. I chip with my putter up the tier, 16 yards, to 5 feet. I misread the break some and ended up to the right of the hole. I strike the par putt too firm and roll it 2 feet past the hole. I sink the bogey putt, 6.

4 – par 4, 293 yards, straight, #15 HCP, water left and OoB right. Right side has a slope. There's a fairway bunker on the right. It's a push fade with my driver heading for the right trees. I play a provisional and top it maybe 100 yards. I play a second shot with the provisional using my 4w from the rough and it was another solid shot into the right rough. We find my first ball in play as we're driving to the provisional, so I avoid the S&D penalty. My tee shot was only 152 yards and I'm in the right rough. The hole is on the right and I hit my 7i. It's a high pull that goes 120 yards into a bunker on the left. I somehow hit an okay sand shot to 9 feet. The par putt stops inside 6 inches. So a tap in bogey.

5- par 5, 501 yards, dogleg right, #5 HCP, hazard down the left side. There's a slope on the right side which makes the fairway narrow in the landing spot. A stream runs down the right side from the corner to near the green. Today, I hit a low fade down the fairway that runs out some, 207 yards. Much better than the previous day! I have the angle to clear the corner and hit 4w. I hit a great looking high fade. Contact was off the sweet spot again...My ball is a touch more right than I wanted and just misses some leaves of a tree on the right and lands in the middle of the fairway, 195 yards. The hole is front left and 90ish yards. I want to land to the right of the hole and let my ball feed to the left. I hit a partial PW and pull it, 105 yards, and 18 feet past the hole. The birdie putt stops inside 6 inches. Tap-in par, 5.

A big improvement on the par 5s from Saturday.

6 – par 4, 367 yards, slight dogleg left, #7 HCP. Medium width landing area with a bunker on the left. Houses are on the right and there's a sharp slope into the left trees if you end up too far into the left rough. I hit a low fade into the right rough, 204 yards. I'm about 170 out and have a level lie. I decide to try my 7w from the rough. It's a slight mishit and the ball is a mid height fade that travels 140 yards and ends up in the rough short of the green. I hit a pitch with my SW and it comes out great for a change. Nice and high and it lands on the green, stopping 5 feet left of the hole. I hit the par putt and it stops inside 3 inches, doh! Tap-in bogey, 5.

7 – par 4, 351 yards, slight dogleg right, #11 HCP, elevated tee shot to a wide open fairway that slopes down right to left all the way to about the 100 yard marker. Bunkers on the left marking the corner and a slope on the right. I avoid OOB toady with a high fade that ends up in the fairway on the right, 232 yards. I have a good lie, slightly downhill. I hit a partial 9i and it's a high shot, and a bit of a push, 111 yards onto the right side of the green. I'm 31 feet right of the hole. I hit the putt and it's tracking for the hole and drops, birdie, 3.

8 – par 3, 160 yards, elevated tee shot, #13 HCP, bunker on the right side of the green. Slope to the right of this hole that is weed whacked. So it's long stuff and wild. Balls can get lost here. The hole is back right, so I just grab my 6i. I hit a high draw that's a bit too far right and my ball carries the bunker on the right and land sin the rough at the back of the green, 160 yards. This time I hit the chip thin and too hard from the rough and the ball rolls into the fringe on the far side. I chip with my putter to 4 feet and sink the bogey putt, 4.

9 – par 4, 357 yards, straight hole, #3 HCP, water on the left as you approach the green. The pond fronts this green. It's a solid fade down the right side but a bit too right. My ball travels 227 yards and ends up in the rough of #1 by some trees. The hole is on the right and pretty much blocked out. I could try to punch an iron to the left side of the green but that risks hitting a mature pine that's blocking my angle in or hitting it short or even left into the pond. No thanks... I just chip the ball 52 yard swith my 5i and get it into the correct fairway and a bit closer to the hole as well. The hole is back right and I hit a partial AW. It's a nice high shot that lands on the green 13 feet right of the hole. I get the par putt inside 6 inches and have a tap in bogey, 5.

Shot a 44. My game didn't suck in any particular area but I also avoided the bunkers better. A comment I want to make is I feel that my last lesson opened some doors for me. The main thing from it was how I address the ball with my woods and irons. I hit my 4w very well this weekend. My 7w also was very solid. I have been avoiding both of those clubs since May when I was topping and blading them. I feel like I can hit all of my clubs now with confidence. Yes, my swing still has glaring issues but I don't fear anything. The woods are opening a door for me on longer holes. Sure I won't hit many greens with them but if I can eat up 190 - 200 yards on longer holes with my 4w, it will make life so much easier.

The biggest let down this round was my short putts. I had 4 putts from 4 - 6 feet and only made 1.

My next lesson will focus on short game shots. He wants to show me how to hit three different trajectories with my wedges for those shots from 30-50 yards out. i will probably talk to him about my issues with the bunkers and short ships, though maybe I need to mix techniques and go with the bump and run for the chips that don't require me to carry a bunker.

birdies: 1

pars: 1

double bogeys: 2

triple+: 0

Some stats:

Avg drive: 206 yards

Longest drive: 232 yards

Fairways: 4/7

GIR: 2/9

Avg Approach: 131 yards

Up & down: 0/6

Putts: 17

Overall: -1.3 strokes

driving: -0.3

Approach: -0.9

Short game: +0.2

Putting: -0.3

43 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Well, ya got me...

When you asked the question earlier, I did *NOT* expect that you were going to break 100 with 42 strokes on only 5 holes lol...

Lol, I was hoping some people would have guessed. I was very surprised too. It was a 94 for GHIN because of NDB shaving two strokes. So no change to my index but I was looking and I've dropped my index by 3.2 in the last year. Not awesome improvement but it's improvement none the less.