2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What's new In The Bag for your 2020

wcdixon

Everything old is new again. After 6 years away from the game and 20 years since purchasing a new golf club much less a new set of clubs I got hooked again end of this summer and spent the fall researching and testing most major brand's latest offerings...and was surprised to find myself coming pretty much full circle to a newer version of what I had before.

In 1998 I lucked into some cash and went down to the local golf equipment store and after hitting a few range balls settled on a new set of the just released Callaway X-12 irons stiff steel and Big Bertha Steelhead 1,3, and 5 wood stiff steel plus a sand wedge for around $1,400.00 Cdn I believe. Maybe I got a bag too...I don't remember. The entire process lasted maybe an hour...ninety minutes tops. And I stuck with the same bargain bin Wilson putter i'd used since the mid 80's. And until 2013 continued to play 3-4 times a month during Canada's shorter golf season and maintained around a 10 handicap with a couple of brushes with even par rounds in there...no complaints (until a combo of life and golfers elbow intervened).

Cut to 2019 and I decided it was time to upgrade after getting itch again...not that anything terrible about the old clubs - managed a 79 fifth round back out - but figured equipment had changed so much that if I was planning to take playing a little more seriously again I should look into it at least. And I decided that 1,400.00 Cdn was the max I would spend this time as well...thus ended up mostly only considering demo's or last year's models, or in the case of the Srixon driver - a half price Black Friday sale (Edit: traded in the Srixon 585 for a demo Rogue driver - hitting it 20 yds further). But stayed within budget and got everything new or near new in the case of the demo clubs. And surprisingly (or not surprisingly) Callaway more or less won again.Driving Stick: Callaway Rogue 9.0 Aldila 50 reg flexFairway Sticks: Ping G 3 wood 14.5* ALTA 65 reg flex; Callaway Steelhead 5 wood 18* TENSEI DK Blue 65 Reg flexHybrid Stick: Taylormade GAPR Hi 4 21* KBS hybrid reg flexIron Sticks: Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW Recoil 760 reg flexChipping Sticks: Titleist Vokey SM7 50*; Titleist Vokey SM7 56*; Callaway SureOut 60* graphite reg wedge flexPutting Stick: Odyssey White Ice RossieGot somewhat overwhelmed by all the options and possibilities available in 2019 vs 1998 - technology changes and improvements, shaft and grip choices, going from steel to graphite shaft (age and the previously mentioned golfer's elbow dictated this one), massive driver heads?!, hybrids?!!! (I'd never hit one before), wedges with SO many lofts now...oof - researching and testing took a few months - it's easy to get lost in the golf equipment and technology weeds today I must say. But did find the Callaway Steelhead XR irons and fairway wood very familiar-feeling in my hands in terms of look and balance and style compared to my old sticks....that ended up being the main deciding 'buy' factor. And I'm sure there are better putters out there but I've always liked and wanted to try 'the Phil' (Edit: found a used Odyssey Rossie - a putter I also really liked when trying it 10 years ago...regripped it and ready to roll)....we'll see. At any rate am happy with what I ended up with (even a new bag) and can't wait for next spring.

What's new in YOUR bag for 2020?

UPDATE: even though very happy with very good used set of Steelhead XR irons i was since seduced by a like-new set of Recoil 760 shafted Rogue Pro irons for half price...so much for much budget haha. So now have a backup set if needed.

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

Bag 1: Listed in my Sig line. Two tweak changes:

Reshafted 4i with hybrid shaft; picked up a little yardage off tee, and now get enough launch to hit it off the fairway.Callaway "in house" shift: Dropped MD.PM 60°/10 U-grind for a MD4 58°/8 C-grind. Early tests show 58° more stable on distance control; and, I can probably use in 3/4 swing, which didn't work well with 60°.Bag 2: My back-up is fairly stable, except for one hybrid tweak. By chance all TaylorMade, including bag itself.

Burner Superfast Driver | RBZ Stage2 3W/HL (17°)Burner 2008 Rescues 3H and 4H (traded older 2006 TM Rescue Dual 4H to get matching Burner 4H)SLDR irons (2014) 4i-AWWedges: Tour Preferred 56° SW and R Series Tour Grind 60° LW Putter TPA.VIII

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I got a new glove for 2020, a couple sleeves of balls too. We'll see if anything changes!

• Like 3

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

Nothing club wise, though I did buy a new 2019 USA themed C130 on Cyber-Monday as price was too good to pass up, and my 2016 model was getting a little dirty.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I like this answer way better than my long-winded ramblings haha.

• Like 2

White Hot R-Ball 35"

Just about everything.

Driver: Old Cobra F9, New Titleist TS3. Had to make some concessions with the Cobra. In order to get the lie angle I wanted I had to open the face more than I wanted. And while the ball speed and dispersion were right there the length was not due to the head being a bit of a high spinner. Being able to adjust lie angle and face angle separate from one another on the Titleist is a much better fit for me. Having the added convenience of moving weight for draw or fade bias is another plus. Overall seeing the same ball speed but lower spin equating to longer distance with the same dispersion.

4 Wood: Old Cobra F9 Tour, New Titleist TS3. While the reason I played the F9 was for the upright lie angle it ended up being a little too upright. The adjustability I get from the Titleist clubs is superior to Cobra full stop. I think Titleist and Callaway got it right on the hosels compared to the other companies. While I prefer the Callaway Hosel because you don't need to spin the shaft I couldn't get the lie angle upright enough in the Callaways and thus landed on the Titleist clubs.

Irons: No change here except that I added the Pitching wedge from my MP-18 SCs back into the set. reason for this is being that I switched from Vokey to TM wedges and TM doesn't make a 46* MG2 wedge. I'll be looking at potentially moving over to a full set of MP-20 HMBs if I can see a difference between my own make shift combo set in testing.

Wedges: Old Vokey SM7 Raw, New TM MG2 52,56 & Raw Face Hi Toe 60. I never really loved the feel of Vokeys and the TPU insert in the MG2 makes them feel much closer to my MP-18s than the Vokeys while still giving the benefit of having a raw face. Otherwise I had all year especially one some bunker shots I occassionally miss out on the toe causing the ball not to spin as much as needed. I felt like I was throwing away a technological advantage by not having a Hi-Toe or PM grind with grooves across the entire face. The PM grind had too much offset and didn't suit my eye as well so TM Hi-Toe it was.

Putter: Old: Evnroll ER5 Hatchback, New SeeMore Nashville z3c. My best rounds in my life were with the old SeeMore M1 and I got rid of it for no good reason. Found a home for years with the Metal X #7 and then the ER5 Hatchback. While the ER5 was insanely forgiving and I saw the benefits of the Evnroll grooves, I still would occassionally miss putts that I thought I hit well because of setting the face up slightly open or closed. The RST on the SeeMore putters completely gets rid of that for me. I have instantly dropped back into scores I haven't seen in 10 years since putting it in the bag. That said I do miss the Evnroll insert and wish SeeMore and Evnroll would merge to make the perfect putter lol.

Ball: Old ProV1x, New ProV1. Prefer the feel of the softer compression ball and see almost no difference in performance in long game and irons. Even though the V1x supposedly spins more I get much more check out of the regular V1 in short game shots and the feel off the putter is far superior to me.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

Well I confirmed my order for a set of T100’s earlier today so there will definitely be them.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Only thing that will probably change in my bag is my 3W, hybrid/UI and the shaft in my driver.

For the most part I'm happy with my bag after I was fit last year just going to finish my bag fitting soon.

The other thing is I hope to thin down my putter collection and just stick to a few putters in my collection since I really want to drop my handicap and playing various putters can't help that.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I tend to agree with you, but there is something to be said for the fact that nearly every time Justin Rose changes putters he wins. I believe in an interview he said when he switches putters it forces him concentrate more on what he's doing.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

Sticking with my current WITB for 2020

241VM3EQAAM5.jpg

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I get what he's saying and agree as well but I was thinking about most normal players. When Rose gets a new putter he'll roll what a few hundred putts with it before it even makes it in the bag? Where most other guys it's a few putts at the store, at home and on the practice green.

My reasoning for what I said is that I tend to overthink my putts and something small like my grip feeling off can throw me off. If and when I'm comfortable when I'm putting I don't overthink, just line, weight and make the stroke. If that makes any sense at all.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

In terms of what I didn't finish the 2019 season with....an F9 driver and 3 wood

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I picked up a Callaway 2018 X Series 3 wood with red X and accents on the sole. Project X 5.5 LZ production (not Hand Crafted) shaft. It's a very solid club. Had store credit, it was lightly used and dirt cheap.

I am getting good launch with distance and it's easy to find the center of the face. Very good performance for a made for club.

Thought I'd throw that one out there for those on a tight budget.

I'm hoping to keep change to a minimum in 2019.

Currently I have switched from a FlexTech Lite to a Flextech Crossover. Still light enough to carry but much better for pushing/riding than the Lite was.

Although I am content with my current bag, I'll be switching to an all Taylormade bag, so last week I traded in for a new '17 M2 driver.

Wedges will either be replaced around Christmas or in the new year. I aim to replace my 58* RTX-3 with a Hi-Toe or Milled Grind Black and my CBX with a Milled Grind in Chrome.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Edit: also looking to replace my ST180 3w to a newer TM sometime in the new year

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Z785 irons and a Ping Anser Milled 0... Like every other year, I will try and limit the changes... :)

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I hope that works out for you if you try it...I went similar switching 3w and 5w and 4i for a 4+w and 19* and 22* hybrid and only got a couple of games in before snow started to fall but liked change so far.

White Hot R-Ball 35"

M5 (replacement from TM for my cracked M3) -- currently having tryouts between the Tour AD BB and GP

Epic Flash 3W came in partway through the season this year and it's staying

718 AP2s are new -- KBS Tour 130 X (finally replacing my J40 DPCs after a brief stint with Taylormade MBs)

Replacing set 4i with a T-MB 4i, KBS

Reshafting my 2i with the KBS Tour 130 X that's in the rest of my irons. Launching way too high with the Tour AD UT shaft that's in it now, I'm wanting to move to something that automatically hits low bullets and nothing else

I hadn't thought about grips, debating whether to stay with Tour Velvet or switch to ZGrip. I've tried MCC in the past but they wear and get slick so fast. Also considered the Pure DTX, had one on a preowned set of Vapor Flys in the past and it was about the grippiest grip I've owned albeit very rough on the hands.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

I'm definitely not opposed to Lamkin. My budget is fairly small with student loans starting soon, and from what I've seen full cords with Lamkin are usually cheaper than Golf Pride. How would you grade the durability on the Z5? Just looking at it the lower non-corded section looks like it would last much better than the MCC.

What I like about the ZGrip is the firmness, I'm in between on cord vs. no cord and something like this would be where I would want with cord. Wonder if it would compare closer to the UTX or Crossline Cord from Lamkin.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*