Royal Melbourne = goofy golf

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting that ALL the people who have posted that have actually played RM think it's amazing and the 2 main people complaining about it have never played there.

Also for those wanting to travel out here at some point.   The Sandbelt is compared to the Monterey penninsula for a few reasons. Mainly the quantity of fantastic courses.   "Sand" referring to the sa

I don't know. I'm seeing what appears to be the coolest looking golf course in the world. Just my opinion. 10 rounds between Royal Melbourne and Augusta National: 9 RMGC; 1 ANGC (and 1 for ANGC ju

Bandon Dunes, streamsong, pinehurst. Have you ever played a course with fescue (I know RM is not fescue) Fescue is a drought resistant grass that does not need a ton of water

Turning off irrigation should not be about looking natural, it is about going to hand watering which is much more precise.

Mowing patterns are all dependent on the Supers beliefs. Many believe stripes distract your eye from the beauty of a course where others believe they enhance the natural contours.

None of us us know how dry the course is. Look at Kasey Kauff on Twitter. He is the director of Agronomy at Trinity Forest, they use trinity Zoysia which was created to mimic the water tolerances of fescue, per my understanding. His course is routinely as dry as that. None of us were out there with moisture meters.

Whistling Straits plays nothing of the sort - for professionals or resort guests. The Straits course is one of my favorite in North America, but while they may have tarted it up to look like an Oirish links, it's not playing like it, nor designed to.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've only played it once, but what I remember was that it played hard and fast.

It's also one of my favorites. Here are my top ten (at the moment):

Augusta National

Pebble Beach

Royal County Down

Spyglass Hill

Cabo Del Sol - Ocean

Castle Pines Golf Club

Carnoustie

Whistling Straits - Straits

Trump Turnberry

Kiawah - Ocean Course

From Shipnuck:"If Royal Melbourne was a golf course in central Wisconsin or the NW would we be complaining about the lack of rough and all the short par 4’s? [email protected]

Perhaps. It is clearly way too short for the modern professional game, but that’s not Royal Melbourne’s fault — every course that currently exists on this planet is also too short. It still presented a fascinating, artful test and looked great on TV. Unlike, say, Erin Hills, it played firm and fast, and unlike, say, Chambers Bay, the greens were utterly pure. But I’m interested in your citation of the lack of rough as a bad thing — that made the course play tougher, because balls could roll (and roll and roll…) into the fiendish bunkers and off the shoulders of the greens, leading to some hellacious recovery shots."

---

He also made a great suggestion to move the WGC event in Memphis in the summer to Royal Melbourne and December every year, with the added bonus that maybe some more of the stars would stick around and play the Australian Open.

• Like 1

I've only played it once, but what I remember was that it played hard and fast.

It's also one of my favorites. Here are my top ten (at the moment):

Augusta National

Pebble Beach

Royal County Down

Spyglass Hill

Cabo Del Sol - Ocean

Castle Pines Golf Club

Carnoustie

Whistling Straits - Straits

Trump Turnberry

Kiawah - Ocean Course

To the untrained brain, yes, strips can distract, but to the knowledgeable player, they say one side is down grain improving run-out while the other side the ball hits into the grain limiting run-out.  Also, a faster fairway may or may not put the golfer out of position for the next shot.  Fairway strips in relationship to the sun's movements can suggest grain has been redirected.  Background tells me striping fairways is not something a Superintendent does without direction from club leadership as it affects all players and can make a challenging hole more difficult. Added 2 cents.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

I don't believe "any course that plays firm and fast and may have limited or zero rough is too short for the modern player."  That quoted remark implies the driver is the only club of choice off every tee, fails to acknowledge the designer's hole intentions., and lacks responsible course management judgment.

RM was a perfect example of a firm and fast 7k yard course that feeds poor player judgment. RM's 1st Par 4 hole nearly every one took a driver off the tee yet, very few birdies resulted due to green pace, which wasn't really fast, just undulated and run-off contours.  Players didn't take into account conditions and short pitching distance didn't allow for spin. Consequently, balls were running off the green, ending up long or short of the pin. Maybe they didn't care as they bought their press but the proof was they were losing till Sunday.

With courses designed and setup like RM, even tour players can't overpower the course.  There is NO way average Joe golfer that thinks he's a big hitter has the game or self-control.  He rightfully deserves to get his azz handed to him and whipper off, wondering what just happened. One man's opinion.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

Armchair fools, but you are always diplomatic. ;-)

Taped overnight and watched this morning an old Shell WWOG with Player and Peter Thomson at Royal Melbourne. Lots of comments about the speed of the greens even way back then. Course looked firm and fast for their match and conditions were windy. It was interesting how some of the holes looked then vs. now although video quality wasn't great. Fun match and Peter Thomson's swing is an absolute marvel. Could watch him swing over and over and not get tired of it.

• Like 1

Luck??? On firm greens with movement??? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Sorry. Had one too many post-round cocktails...

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...