Reed's Caddy in an "altercation"

titleless_30

Not at all.. I was addressing the holier than thou responses only because of who it is. On top of that, insinuating that the fans are within their right to act this way. The caddy should not have done it, but I can see how it would happen given the alcohol and how close you can get to the players/caddies..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

That’s just incentive to do it again. The only way to handle a bully is swift action Unless you like the behavior to be reoccurring.

The real question is where is security and why are they still employed ? Should 1 strike and you’re banned

and I for one disagree. If a person walks up and gets in your space and curses at you , he/she is the aggressor. No question about it. Don’t let you mouth write checks you can’t cash. Try the same action with a cop , if he feels threatened he can shoot you. Why would the law be different for a cop vs me?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

theres a thing called fighting words. go down to your local downtown watering hole and try that.youll wake up in the hospital. Thats society in a nutshell. always has been. were obviously more "civilized" now yet prisons and jails are always full and were building more of them not less. you dont have to agree with it but thats how it is. You can be morally opposed to it but.. in the end professional or not emotions are high and any consequences that come from it will be worth it in both their eyes as he was defending his man. Right or wrong it happens everyday

3C0M0NA3KTN4.png

I think most use of force laws around the world have similar core principals. One of which is if you feel a person is a threat to you to the point they could cause you grievous bodily harm and/or death, you may protect yourself by utilizing lethal force. Words no matter how close they are said to you or how aggressively they are uttered do not constitute a reason to use deadly force.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

So funny you mention that quote. It was just said to me last week by a kid who’s born american but family is from the Ukraine. Absolutely the hardest working 25 year old I’ve ever heard of. We had a long discussion about “ things” and he’s wise well beyond his years. Well beyond my years.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've watched the PGA tour grow here in Akron from the days when the PBA in Akron was probably a bigger deal. PGA grew with TV and Corporate sponsorship, don't even know what PBA does these days.

Corporate sponsored tents and condos along the course with free eats and unlimited booze brought a LOT of this fan behavior on. The Bridgestone was tame compared to what we are watching now.

We attended the Bridgestone in Akron sporadically over the last decade because it wasn't a great experience as fans compared to what it used be. Growing the fan base comes at a cost UNLESS there are limits on the alcohol. Full stop.

Until they limit or ban alcohol we can expect more, not less, of this behavior.

Fan behavior has been growing more ugly and more aggressive for the past decade in all sports but golf allows the fans to get in-your-face close. It should have been addressed when it started down this path but no one wanted to take on the problem. So here we are. And while it is easy to say the players should ignore it I suspect most people on this forum would not stand for the abuse some players and their caddies put up with week in and week out.

• Like 1

I agree. It wasn’t too long ago that people would have told you you’d never get smoking outlawed in a bar. But it happened. ( and should have ) Eventually people will get enough of the drunks and take back their public space. I refuse to go to football games or concerts anymore. And it’s purely due to drunks.

Ive posted about this before. But the last straw was a concert in which we paid for really nice balcony box seats. And had a 50 something drunk pour beer all over us all night. Try to molest his wife/date in front of us ( and my then 7 year old ) and end the night by dumping a full beer into his ladies purse. It then leaked all over our feet. I had thoughts of pushing him off the balcony. At that point I knew I needed to distance myself from the problem. We left early and I literally will never go back. And this was a very tame show. A country artist ( George straight ) who my wife wanted to see. So not exactly a mosh pit environment.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

That sucks. As a rule we have done likewise. We did just attend a Hozier concert (wife LOVES him, and two sons age 25 and 14) at a small venue here and it was terrific. With none of the drunken antics.

First concert in 12 years for me and the mrs. First ever for our youngest.

Unfortunately it only takes one to ruin that type of experience.

If Reed didn't egg on the crowd earlier in the week with his antics (cupping his ear & digging motions), I would be more inclined to see it as a drunken fan crossing paths with a caddie.

But his earlier antics almost guaranteed the fans would be out to push his buttons.

If I was Tiger, think I would bench him for the duration.

The conflation of life and death actions verse a professional representing the PGA interacting with an intoxicated individual at a sporting event is quite striking.

The Laclava story wasn't about money or paying a bully off. If you listen to the story, it's the process that Laclava followed that was appropriate. First, asked the guy politely to leave. Guy says ok, I'll go but I want $25 bucks for my ticket. Laclava, in a half joking way takes the guy up on his offer (I doubt he pays every heckler off). Guy then welches on the deal and sticks around so Laclava has security remove him. Non-violent solution.

For some reason the message being expressed from some of you who play "A Gentleman's" game is that Laclava should have assaulted him. And that Reed's caddie was in the right as well. Probably a good thing the PGA Tour view player/caddie interactions with the fans a little differently.

I remember watching blue Jays games awhile back and hearing the Devil Rays famous heckler too, he even has his own wikipedia page! Used to sit on the first base line I believe

That stuff I dont really mind if its kept clean and related to playing ability etc...

But cursing at guys, talking about their families, or worse . Sports should be just as tough on the fans as they are on the players, or well have a much bigger incident in the future

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

No.

youre going extremist conspiracy theory on us.

I knew the lacava story before you posted it. As I said it didn’t stop anything. He had to call security anyway. So paying him off was fruitless.

Calling security is the right thing. No doubt. But. It purely depends on the situation. If the patron comes to me , in my space , he gets what he asks for then security can carry him out . Bottom line is don’t be the aggressor , you don’t realize what is out there .

Beside all that If security was doing their job the guy would already be out if he’s that drunk .

I guess what I don’t understand is the neutered thought that you’re just supposed to take everything and hope that police will come and save you. Nope.

By the way. Intoxication doesn’t change ones words , actions or thoughts. It simply brings them outside and amplifies them. The guys who’s a drunk asshole is an asshole sober too. Saying that the guy is intoxicated doesn’t excuse the behavior one ounce.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

"I guess what I don’t understand is the neutered thought that you’re just supposed to take everything and hope that police will come and save you. Nope."

Holy cow! Who ever said anything like that. And I certainly haven't excused the behavior of the patron. You are way out there on this one, might even suggest you have taken the "extremist" position, and based on the personal story you told earlier I can see why. I'm going to try to step away from this one.

It's nice to reflect fondly on the past, and it's also nice to know how it really was at times:

"Also the anti-fans, those wry sportsmen who used to wave signs behind the bunkers—"Hit It Here, Jack"—and cheer his misses. Professional golf, accustomed to the ritual courtesy of its galleries, had never seen anything like it. Gay Brewer said he was actually embarrassed in Dallas not many seasons ago the way the fans booed Jack Nicklaus. At the U.S. Open at Baltusrol somebody threw a beer can."SI February 19, 1973https://www.si.com/vault/1973/02/19/576499/a-heavy-comes-to-light

Then I don’t understand the issue with the caddie backing the guy up. The alternative is stand and take it. Yes?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock