2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX Best Irons of 2019—Discussion Thread

2019 has been a big year for irons, with OEMs taking bigger steps to push the science of structure, materials, and processing to move mass and further optimize MOI and COG to provide improvements across the board. In certain iron categories, clubheads are generating maximum potential speed over larger areas of the face, just like a driver, while in other parts of the market, some iron models have been shrunk to improve workability for the players looking for shot-shaping control.

So what do you look for? What do you need? With so many great irons released in 2019, the decision-making process can be overwhelming, and that's why at GolfWRX, we are here to help you go through that process and help you ask the right questions to find the iron set for you.See out Best Irons "table of contents" article here, which will get you to the individual Best Of pieces.

Best irons of 2019: How we did it

Even before starting the process of building the survey, we reached out to our trusted fitters to discuss how they sort through the endless number of iron options available to golfers. The consensus was simple—the best fitters in the world see all the options available in the marketplace, analyze their performance traits, and pull from that internal database of knowledge and experience like a supercomputer whenever they are working with a golfer.

It's essentially a huge decision tree derived from experience and boiled down to a starting point of options—and it has nothing to do with handicap.

Since modern iron sets are designed into player categories that overlap the traditional "what's your handicap" model, we at GolfWRX believe it was important to go beyond handicap and ask specific questions about the most crucial performance elements fitters are looking at to help golfers find the best set of irons for them. From overall performance, to shotmaking, to helping players achieve better trajectories and speed, we strived to ask the right questions.

Just like with our Best Driver of 2019 survey, we consulted leading fitters in the industry and compiled our results anonymously. The methodology is simple: We want to give you the tools to go out and find what works best for you—with recommendations for your individual needs, with feedback from the people that work every single day to help golfers get peak performance out of there equipment.See out Best Irons "table of contents" article here, which will get you to the individual Best Of pieces.

Here are links to all the individual articles as they are published...Most technology packedThe shotmakersPure enjoymentEasiest to launchOverall top performers

Love that the 2019 P790's made this list! Agree that its a players profile with a ton of forgiveness and sound/feel is really nice with these irons!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Who has the best iron? LOL! There is NO best iron...it's what you like and hit the best...PERIOD. Everyone is different in feel, swing, looks...there is just not one, two. or three+ best irons. You have to get fitted, but you also have to hit a variety of irons and shaft combinations to make your decision. Just because a pro hits a certain iron or brand (most get them free and are paid to use them), or your buddy has a certain club, or of course, a $1500 set is better than a $300 set (which isn't always true), you've got to do your homework, spend time hitting a variety of clubs, then pull the trigger. If a salesman tries to sell you one particular brand or model, beware. As a fitter and salesman, companies spiff salesmen with money and merchandise for hitting certain sales numbers. My goal was always to get the customer what fit him best...if I got a driver, set of irons, money, or nothing, I just wanted to sell the right clubs and fit them correctly. A friend recently picked up a set of Tommy Armour TA1 closeouts with recoils for $300, and hits them beautifully! Just goes to prove, you need to do your homework before laying out the cash.

• Like 2

Ping G425MAX 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus Red TR

Ping G425MAX 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 5-AW w/Ping Alta CB

Ping Glide 4.0 56°-58° w/Recoil ES SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58 Midsize

All Swing Grips: Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Midsize

What I find amazing is when we look at the results from all of these fitters that have been working with all of the products all year how the results from one to the other are so close in voting.

As a member first here I am champing at the bit to see the votes as they come in to see what these say. An yes I do want to test some of the clubs these say are better performers in thee categories that mean more to me.

• Like 1

Youre not kidding! I just got new irons but I am definitely going to at least try some of the other offerings in the category that fits my game

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Many great options out there. I wouldn’t know where to start.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

We are done trying to force a best iron or driver. There are so many variables you cant determine that one is the best. But we can try to divide performance in buckets and as fitters what they have found using real data and real golfers what performed the best in each bucket.

Look at these fitters. Tell me you arn't interested in seeing what they think collectively in test categories...

Best tech- to make ball go farBest shotmaking (creating fight & feel) Best for playability (ease to hit)Best iron to launch higherBest total performance (blend of best distance, forgiveness, looks)

PNFCTFDSWYO9.png

• Like 2

I’m very interested in seeing where the PING g410’s and Callaway CF19 Apex fit in.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Would be nice to see a better spread of fitters involved. Maybe a couple from different club champions across the US and some from different Canadian shops other then TXG. I think TXG does a phenomenal job so it’s not a knock on them it’s just there are other good fitters too and if it’s a panel it should have diversity of opinion.

for those that are knocking the “there is no best iron” I think you are wrong. In a fitting session you can’t possibly go through every iron and every shaft option so fitters are constantly coming in with some idea based on multiple considerations including other fittings they have seen, irons that solve for things they see in your swing and price. I know tons of guys that won’t touch PXG due to the price point and others that don’t even blink an eye at it. Also there are guys that won’t move of Titleist product not matter what u tell them so I think it’s interesting to have lists like this

As much as was screwed up with the forum transition at least y’all learned one lesson and were smart enough to disable the commentary on the articles on the homepage lol. The shank ratio is super high fo sho.

The “best _____ (insert club category here) of the year” awards get worse every year here for me. Zero testing data, just fitters who probably have a wealth of knowledge but may or may not be on staff with one company or another or who may get free stuff from one or more companies. Fitters usually have some built-in biases for better or worse, in my opinion.

Just do some actual testing and put the data points up and pick an actual best iron instead of being so noncommittal about it. Shouldn’t be hard to pick one when you get some data on shot area, std deviations, launch, spin, ballspeed, etc. Y’all could always work the fitters opinions in with the actual hard data. Let us see the data charts and choose for ourselves what may be best for our own game. And for the love of God please test on grass and not mats

I’m seriously not even gonna bother reading the other iron category articles bc this one was atrocious in my opinion. Surely not what was envisioned when this forum was started. Reeks of not wanting to upset possible ad purchasers.

• Like 1

I have been fortunate to test a truck load of 2019 iron releases. The fact of the matter is just like you stated. 2019 has been a huge year in iron tech advancement and OEMs have brought out some top notch offerings in every sub category of irons. Even the boutique iron makers like Scott golf, fourteen, new level all have excellent quality products. Faster ball speeds, forgiveness right down to workabilty and price point. There is no top iron that sets itself apart from the rest, its whats gonna benefit your game to help the game be alot more fun by shaving off shots to lower scores. But like all things even the " best" iron of 2019 will not work for every golfer even if your hcp suggest the iron is in the category you should or want to be playing. A bad fit or even a poor impulse buy will make even the best iron worthless. Get fitted, explore your options ( there are literally dozens). Even if your brand specific , don't be afraid to try all the models your brand offers the data may surprise you. My top choice for 2019 was tough it was between the wilson staff staff model blades and the new titleist 620 MBs but those irons suit mt eye and everything i look for on a traditional blade iron. Hit them all i say, collect all the data you can. This game is hard enough with perfect equipment so why not spend the time and money to fine tune your bag aswell. Hit um well guys .....

I think the test should be entertaining. Which is why I come here.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Well.... may I counter? @born4golf77 I started the forum and yes this is exactly what we were thinking. How about this. Take a step back for a moment and try to see it from this perspective.

You know of a trusted facility with trackman and heavy traffic. There are multiple fitters there. One of the fitters is a senior veteran in the industry and is NOT a staffer for an OEM. He does fittings all day every all year. Tell me this... are you interested in his opinions on what is performing best?
I am. And I think many of us are as well.

The driver article is cleaner but we are on our first pass for the irons here.
It means a lot to have some choices for those that don't fiddle as but as I do and the hard core members here.

• Like 2

@born4golf77 I knew I was onto something when I personally was pouring through the fitter results after they were committed. I genuinely was interested in looking at the results for my own personal game. While I can under stand you skepticism with fake news we will FRY our OEM relationships doing this more than help. Trust me. Not good.

Personally, I've never used someone else's opinion to influence a purchase on a club, ball, or other golf gear. However, I find this more beneficial than most comparisons historically produced by other golf forums. IMHO it's head and shoulders above a Golf Digest Hot Picks for example.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Thanks for checking out the article and providing feedback - its what WRX is all about.The “best _____ (insert club category here) of the year” awards get worse every year here for me. Zero testing data, just fitters who probably have a wealth of knowledge but may or may not be on staff with one company or another or who may get free stuff from one or more companies. Fitters usually have some built-in biases for better or worse, in my opinion.First off I will 100% acknowledge that you are correct - many fitters at any number of facilities have relationships with OEMs, to deny that would be a complete oversight on our part. BUT, we have the opportunity to look over all of the raw data submitted by these fitters and call into question anything that might seem biased or skewed towards one OEM or the other. As humans we all have bias, it's impossible to eliminate that entirely, but on our end we analyzed what was provided as feedback and as I said before call into question any fitter that presents a data set outside of the norm. Having comes from an agnostic custom fitting background, I can without a doubt tell you that the golfers getting fit are the top priority. All of these facilities utilize state of the art launch monitors to collect data and numbers don't lie.

Just do some actual testing and put the data points up and pick an actual best iron instead of being so noncommittal about it. Shouldn’t be hard to pick one when you get some data on shot area, std deviations, launch, spin, ball speed, etc. Y’all could always work the fitters opinions in with the actual hard data. Let us see the data charts and choose for ourselves what may be best for our own game. And for the love of God please test on grass and not mats.As much as we would love the opportunity to test everything ourselves, outside, on grass with premium balls, with a huge cross-section of golfers we just do not have the resources to conduct that type of testing. The reason being there are way too many variables and being inside provides a consistent environment. There are a number of fitters on our list that conduct a majority if not all of their fittings outside and their category rankings fall inline with all of the other fitters that work indoors. At GolfWRX we have the most passionate and educated golf consumers on the planet participate in our forums and coming to our site for information. With that in mind we understand that most of these golfers are going out and get fit, or fit themselves. The goal of these lists and rankings is to provide a great starting point for all golfers to evaluate what clubs and what brands might offer the best opportunity to play better golf or achieve something that is required in their game - hence the format for differentiating categories based on characteristics and not on handicap or just ball speed and distance.

I’m seriously not even gonna bother reading the other iron category articles bc this one was atrocious in my opinion. Surely not what was envisioned when this forum was started. Reeks of not wanting to upset possible ad purchasers.As stated above, we cant be comital to one iron being the absolute best in any category because we, just like you, believe that golfers should alway get fit for their equipment to maximize their playing ability. With that in mind we also understand that HUGE majority of players will never get fit beyond a simple; flex, lie, loft, grip fitting and there is nothing wrong with that either - to each their own.These categorized lists allow any golfer to have a great starting point when looking for new clubs, but we still encourage players to look beyond, because there just might be something out there that fits them better. All of our data has come from the best fitters, that work day to day fitting clubs and work with hundreds of golfers a year - there is nobody that has more experience working with a larger selection of irons than these people.As far as "keeping sponsors happy", we acknowledge that we have relationships with sponsors and OEMs, we are very upfront about that - if it wasn't for these relationships we would not exist. At GolfWRX we have conversations on a daily basis about cutting through the marketing and giving you, the golfer real information - our sponsors understand our position and respect that we are going to speak the truth. We will never lie about data, and never hide a negative or contrarian point of view because of a sponsor.

Ryan Barath

• Like 1

I understand golfwrx approach and think it makes sense. However, I was disappointed by what I read - it reminded me of reading golf digest review - kinda generic and too high level to really take much concrete away. 5 clubs with 100 words each (? Didn’t count but pretty short, high level review) isn’t much real estate. With all these fitters I would think there could be something more robust to help us shape our understanding of why these clubs are go good, how they separate themselves from the pack, and how they differ from each other.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Can't ask for a better explanation than that.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Agreed. it is a thankless job many times writing articles. Most of the time everyone just tears it apart and tells you that it was terrible. Thanks!

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

There are so many variations in even the best players' swings that picking one best iron makes no sense. Some iron models will perform better than others depending on the golfer's attack angle, clubhead speed, forward shaft lean at impact, preferred ball flight - high, medium, low trajectory, fade, draw, amount of workability vs. forgiveness, shaft choice, etc. That shaft choice alone can make the same clubs play significantly differently depending on the characteristics of particular shaft that it hit. That is not including all of the other variables.

Most of the clubs listed have been out for some time. Given each category, I think I could have named at least 3 out of the 5 (or more) without reading the article. Everyone basically knows the club specs. This is just a high level ranking. At least that is how I see it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

It's a fun read nothing more nothing less. If it points you in a direction ....great. This time of year it reminds me of getting the now defunct Sears Christmas catalog as a kid- Start writing your "wish" list ----- ho,ho,ho -it's what we do

• Like 1

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

It’s clearly a significant effort on WRX’s part to put these together, and they’re doing it the best they can given the current approach. I’d like to see an alternative, which is to eliminate the idea of ‘Best’ altogether.

IMO any attempt at an objective ranking requires data, as in the 2nd Swing video.

Using subjective input from subjectively selected sources on unknown players with inconsistent “testing” will (and should) raise questions like those posed by our fellow posters. That’s too bad, because as has also been pointed out, irons have clearly progressed significantly in the last few years, far more than other club types, most of which have remained pretty much stagnant.

What I’d like to see would be to give the manufacturers themselves open forum to present how their clubs have changed, gotten better, longer, easier to play, more aesthetically pleasing, etc. Then let the players make their own evaluations and conclusions, which is really the only ‘best’ that matters.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

All good, just my opinion. Writing articles, good or bad ones, is a time consuming process, I understand there may not be resources to do testing as I outlined.

I feel next time it would be helpful to make it more clear theres not gonna be a clear winner mentioned in the article. Like maybe tbe headline "some of the best" irons of 2019 and not "the best" irons of 2019.

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss, but here goes. I saw the Mizuno 919 Tour is in the top 5 Shot maker category. I wonder where the MP-20 MMC fall into the rankings? I haven't seen much comparison between the MP20-MMC and the JPX 919T. I've hit both of these and like the feel of the MP-20 MMC more but since the JPX 919T is slightly smaller and thinner, i assume it's easier to work the ball? I generally have only a draw shot shape, so couldn't tell to much for workability.

These two should be in the same category. It is impressive that a previous gen 919T beats the newer MP-20 MMC.

Appreciate the list as it should basically be used as just a starting point. There are other sites that get more into the numbers and sometimes reading a general overview from very qualified fitters is all I’m looking for.

If I’m going to shell out $1,200 plus for irons there is no way I’m not getting fit. This list gives an idea on what clubs I should be looking at. It would be cool if fitters kept stats for an entire year on all their fittings/irons. It’d be a ton to ask and likely impossible data wise storing distance, dispersion, etc on every fitting, but if you’re looking for data it wouldn’t get any better than that.