GolfWRX Best Irons of 2019—Discussion Thread

Curious if the 'Rose Protos' and the 'MP-20s' were part of the shotmakers testing. I'm looking at the 919Ts as I have had the 900Ts for two years now but hit both of the two I previously mentioned and loved the feel. Since hitting irons outside or on the course before buying is nearly impossible, relying on data of how irons compare from one to the other is something I rely on heavily and not just trusting the indoor flight data.

• Like 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am 71 yrs old. Now in the slower swing speed category. If you resemble me and your club fitter did not have you hit the XXIO Prime irons they did you a disservice. I hit all the top-rated irons i

Who has the best iron? LOL! There is NO best iron...it's what you like and hit the best...PERIOD. Everyone is different in feel, swing, looks...there is just not one, two. or three+ best irons. You ha

Curious if the 'Rose Protos' and the 'MP-20s' were part of the shotmakers testing. I'm looking at the 919Ts as I have had the 900Ts for two years now but hit both of the two I previously mentioned and

In the Easiest to Launch section, the Mizunos 919 HMs read: "Another repeat category performer, the 919 HotMetal." Is GolfWRX referring to the 919 Tours in the Shotmakers section (which is definitely a wildly different club), or maybe do the 919 HMs win tomorrow's top overall performers? I was already thinking about trying the HMs out as my next set...

Most of my experience has been with the models in the shotmakers category, but it’s really crazy how close most irons are in this category in terms of performance. When there’s little real estate to work with in terms of head size, it’s impressive that so much tech can be in there. Personally, I’m in the Cobra King Forged CB/MB because they were the most consistent for my needs during testing; mind you, I hit everything under the sun and it was between these and the Ping i210 for me. With that said, I think the important thing is to be open to anything that could work. Just because an iron is labeled one thing doesn’t mean it’s exclusively for low, mid, or high handicaps.

PING G410 9* Tour AD GP 7x
Taylormade SLDR 14* Accra Tour Proto M5-85
Taylormade SLDR 19* Accra Tour Proto M5-85
Cobra King Forged 4-P $-Taper 120 S+
Ping Glide 50* Glide Stealth 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 or Toulon Atlanta

... Of course there are "Best irons" or any other club can be labeled Best. The P790's are an iron that fit such a wide range of players, look great at address, have insane forgiveness for a players iron and the produce more distance. All of these attributes are wanted by the majority of people that play golf. That said, there are golfers that already produce a high swing speed and do not want or need additional distance. There are also players that do not want a high launching iron that produces less spin so the P790's would be a poor fit for them as well. And there are some that do not want hollow heads or foam in their iron head, preferring a solid one piece forging so the P790 is not a Best Iron for them either. No club, even the Best Iron is gonna fit everyone, but it can fit and work well for the majority of golfers.

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
@chisag I would agree completely.
We tried to make categories that golfers could identify with. Then see what the common consensus from the pool of top fitters say was their picks based on fittings.
Best tech- to make ball go far... http://www.golfwrx.com/581480/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-technology-packed/Best shotmaking (creating fight & feel)... http://www.golfwrx.com/581486/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-shotmaking/Best for pure enjoyment or playability (ease to hit)... http://www.golfwrx.com/581496/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-pure-enjoyment/Best iron to launch higher... http://www.golfwrx.com/581484/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-easiest-to-launch/Best total performance (blend of best distance, forgiveness, looks)... coming FridayWould you agree that it is a better way to present? Now I don't think the articles are meant for me as much as a more casual player that might not be as plugged in as I (you) are. But this allows you to cherry pick a little and head to a category that you are more interested in and offer a few top options that the fitters liked.

enjoy this type of content so thanks for bringing it. One critique, the three categories ( best tech to make the ball go far, pure enjoyment/easy to hit and higher launch) should of been a single category. Too many repeats in the lists.

shotshaping category should of been replaced with best blades because nothing beats a blades workability. I get you guys were trying to be a little different in categories but it only really needs to be:

best bladed irons

best players irons

best game improvement irons

best super game improvement irons

hearing from top fitters their picks is a great idea instead of your typical golfer.

... I think that is up to each individual. To me "distance iron" isn't a category because they can be anything from a hollow headed Titleist T-MB to a TaylorMade M6, 2 completely differs types of irons. I have always thought of Players Irons as small/mid size heads, thinner top line and sole with little offset. I think that describes P790's perfectly.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

I don’t consider p790 to be a players iron either. How many guys in tour do you see playing full sets of p790? I haven’t seen any, see plenty of 3 or 4 irons in them though as a sort of driving iron.

I would consider them to either be distance irons or game improvement category. If you want less complication just put them in GI category

Yes, it is a good iron. But you can't test anywhere apart from a Ben Hogan fitting. Read the list of contributors, they are all brand agnostic fitters that work with a high volume of clients and carry a wide variety of brands. Brands like Wishon, Ben Hogan, Haywood, etc. definitely make good product, but they are all direct to consumer for the most part and impossible for your average person and WRX'r to test. While it certainly is a good idea to bring them into the mix, it's next to impossible to test them if the company refuses to make their clubs available for distribution en masse.

I am 71 yrs old. Now in the slower swing speed category. If you resemble me and your club fitter did not have you hit the XXIO Prime irons they did you a disservice. I hit all the top-rated irons in this review, for me the Prime irons were a club longer than any of the others. This has born out in actual play without any loss in accuracy. They are significantly easier to hit in terms of endurance. Younger, faster golfers will not understand. The theory is that lighter=faster. This works for me. I played mizuno irons for two decades before having to switch because they just weren't going as far. I walked into the fitting expecting to walk out with the latest JPXs. Left with XXIOs.

• Like 3

I like the way they broke it down - more focus on playing characteristics (vs design) makes sense. And I like they used fitters to evaluate. That makes a lot of sense. What I’d like more of is the fitters’ insights into why they liked the clubs they did, what they saw about them from their clients that made them stand out, maybe a little more of the data. Readers here on wrx are pretty sophisticated.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

the playing characteristics of game improvement category is all of those (distance, easy to hit and high launch). That’s what GI irons are which is why those categories had repeats in each one. Only addition I would add to my post above is distance players irons category but that is the same categories that golf digest uses which is I’m sure why they tried to be more original.

• Like 1

Here are ether two. I see your point...

BRHR3RJD0A2P.png

9KNFYKB1GX7C.pngalso.. here are the categories...

Best tech- to make ball go far... http://www.golfwrx.com/581480/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-technology-packed/Best shotmaking (creating fight & feel)... http://www.golfwrx.com/581486/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-shotmaking/Best for pure enjoyment or playability (ease to hit)... http://www.golfwrx.com/581496/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-pure-enjoyment/Best iron to launch higher... http://www.golfwrx.com/581484/best-irons-in-golf-of-2019-easiest-to-launch/Best total performance (blend of best distance, forgiveness, looks)... coming Friday

Yes. I wanted one more level of detail down, so I could better understand why they liked the irons they did. I just re-read one bit on P790 best overall performance (which I play, to make sure I was on-track). Comment from fitter: "Better players who are looking for a little more distance tend to flock to this iron, yet it will is playable for the 10-15 handicap range. In my opinion, this is the players distance iron that is the closest to a pure forging when it comes to looks and feel. This was a deciding factor in many of my fittings when the data between this and other models was close.” This tells us what drove buying decision, but not what they observed about the club's objective performance. What I would have liked is something like "Most 10-15 hdcpers had better dispersion and hit it with more ball speed than other options." Or whatever data and experience led them to their conclusions - take us a little in on their assessment process, help educate us. When you only report their conclusions at such a high level, it's hard to differentiate from generic fluff. Maybe it's about the real estate - the repeating of the testing process/fitters in each review ate up a lot of space. It's great to present this info, but just do it at the overview level. (Or after the feedback). But what would you have included in each club review if you had added another 100 (non-redundant) words? Anyway, I am glad you're doing this and I'm sure it'll improve as you learn and try different stuff.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

MP-20 only launched in September officially. Tough to get much work in with this iron in only a couple of months. Don't forget, this is a survery of 2019, and we don't even know when this survey was sent out to the fitters. Presumably it wasn't sent out December 1 and then compiled, edited, and written by December 16/17th release. This is the same reason why T1/T2/T300 and 620 product isn't on here along with P790 Ti, too short a life cycle. I'm sure if the same type of article is done for 2020 you will see these creep onto the lists.

Lost in translation here. Many opinion leaders/change agents/players were/are raving about new MP's and like many readers I wonder why it is not mentioned in any of the lists. Listened to an audio show as the title said it would clarify things. In this broadcast a kid for over 30 minutes babbled meaningless about equipment. Why not expose the survey and drop/aggregate the results anonymously?