Barstool sports (YouTube print outs) vs. Journalists (degrees)

BB28403

They hit the nail on the head in their last Podcast. They are simply catering to a completely different crowd from a different angle and "the establishment" can't stand it. Their assertions that some of the old guard players/media members would rather the game continue to decline than grow and be played in a manner they don't agree with is 100% spot on. There are quite a few posters in this sub forum who are clearly suffering from the same ailment of debilitating nostalgia. *old man yells at clouds*

• Like 1

I can personally guarantee not one person got turned on to golf because of them.Its dumb dude bros acting like dumb dude bros. Im happy they found their shtick but their youtube videos barely make a mark compared to other golf content youtubers. They get interviews because of barstool connections not their hustle.Im no fan of "old/establishement golf media" but when you go to the presidents cup and say dumb crap like "i hope Abraham Ancer quits golf after playing tiger" i mean yeah it will be pointed out. these guys are not exactly young either. I like how portnoy has gone after the NFL so dont get me wrong barstool is okay but none of their golf content speaks to me. its the same thing over and over. Who enjoys watching guys make 8s on holes over and over?

• Like 3

Of all the writers that seem to have become involved in this, the only one that I am really aware of is John Huggan. If Barstool or anyone else for that mattes wants to call him out, then I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I really cannot think of any niceties in speaking about him. Glum, gruff and a figure who seems to love using his sharp tongue to take out his frustrations on others.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

OP gets it wrong - degrees and old guard sports journalism weren’t always synonymous.

Barstool stirs up something to get Twitter reactions and others are dumb enough to engage.

Stupid Twitter-pation from some yahoos so they can make themselves the story. The Barstool comments about Ancer about all you need to know about their method.

• Like 1

Golf, or at least pro golf, needs old school journalism to ask awkward questions, point out unpalatable truths and generally keep it honest.

PGA tour is positively Chinese in media control, I don't think the new guys realise that they are 'useful idiots' in this scenario.

Not that they don't have a place, and I enjoy the change of pace every now and then, but the 4th estate is more important than many realise.

• Like 1

This all started because old media got mad that new media got the jump on them with the Reed story (first of many times to come). Very petty and immature of John Huggand to react this way. I enjoy some of the old guard but times are changing and social media is the way of the world in terms of communication and news. Barstool has a much larger following therefore is reaching a much larger audience which can only grow the game. I think we can all agree that it's not everyone's taste but if someone is reaching a demographic not typically served by golf, it's a good thing. Again that's the beauty of social media, you can choose who you follow and who you don't.

You will also begin to see a shift in places like Golf Channel with the type of content they provide. 5 people sitting behind a desk wearing sweaters needs to go away asap. Ratings are in the toilet and the new generation of golfers don't watch. Expect bartstool type content coming soon.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

The quote about Ancer is how people trash talk now. When I go out and play my buddy I tell him that I want to beat him so bad he's gonna want to quit the game. They dont genuinely want him to quit.

As for my opinion of them, I cant stand how they all suck at golf, yet get to play these awesome courses and events. But at the same they're funny and I enjoy their podcast.

• Like 1

Times are a changin'. As a 31yo millennial, I consume about... on average 90-95% of my golf media from the interwebz, specifically golf forums and Youtube podcasts and videos. I don't read golf digest or similar outlets at all, and even if I see an ad pop up on Facebook, you won't catch me clicking it.

The way the future generation of golfers is consuming golf content is completely different than how the generations prior did. The Barstool guys in particular seem to have more of a "friendly raport" with some players, especially guys like Keven Chappel aka Chappy and Kevin Kisner. I think people can identify with that desire to "be buddies" with these pro's and that's what really makes them popular. They've also played rounds with NY Islander's pro players and so on.

While maybe Butterknives shouldn't have made the comment about Ancer, it's still sort of... weird/alarming how much it seemed to trigger the other "old school" journalists. A classic Millennial vs Boomer moment. I think they can exist in the same realm right now though, you have your old school guys for the majority of the 40-50+ crowd and then you have your Barstool types for the younger crowd. Neither crowd is going to the other's sources for media and entertainment... at least I'm not.

Is there a similar outrage with other sports? Dave Portnoy has the exact same personality as Riggs and he is heavily involved with the hockey scene. I personally think the hockey crowd is much more rough around the edges and understands it's kind of all in good fun. Golf.... not so much.

Interesting, I thought it was just me that found John Huggan to be awful. When he appears on TV he's very mild but on Twitter the nicest thing I can say about him is he comes across as extremely arrogant and sanctimonious. Like almost everyone in media his Twitter is polluted with politics so I don't really read his feed anymore but I read about the Twitter spat.

If you don't take Barstool Sports/Fore Play Podcasts too seriously some of their content is actually quite good in my opinion. The Fore Play podcasts have had some really good guests and you get to hear the players in a different light. Best examples I can think of are Brooks Koepka and Matt Fitzpatrick.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Agreed but in small doses some of their content is good.

The Fore Play podcasts have had a few really good guests and you get a different view of the players as its far removed from traditional media.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

But the quality of reporting has died since the advent of the internet. Or specifically Facebook and Twitter

All you get there is mob reaction. Not news.

so Yes they may get the jump. But they are also making up the way the public reacts as they go. When it was “ just the fact ma’am “ you didn’t have to worry about reading joes mamas reaction to reed grounding in a bunker. See what I did there ? In 1 second the story turns from factual to completely false and fake outrage. If they cut off all social media today. The populace as a whole would be more intelligent inside a month.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Don’t say if you don’t want to. But I’d guess a Gen X-Er , you are ?

I am and I found that I hate the new media stuff. I’ve never made it through a whole podcast from anybody , and yet I don’t take a newspaper or watch a certain news channel each day. I skip around and stop when I hear someone that sounds intelligent. But the kids “ everything is comedy “ style news real irritates me. Some things shouldn’t be silly. I don’t trust a word I hear form silly people. Lol.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's getting off topic but I don't think social media makes people less intelligent. It a) let's you air out your opinions without face to face contact so you're more likely to be brash or rude and 2) gives a platform to people who wouldn't have otherwise had one previously.

When I wanted to hear a political rant by my Dad, I used to have to call him or see him during a holiday. Now I can just reach in my pocket and see it all over my phone screen on the regular.

On the whole, social media should be a good thing; It allows communication between people who just 15 years ago would never even know each other existed, let alone fast communication. The issue is that it can also bring out the worst in people, too.

well, i got news for barstool ... ancer ain't quitting the game ... asinine comment, at best ...

don't really care about the fist bumping, but i personally prefer media to be objective and impartial in their coverage, and to report the stories that make the game compelling ...

and i know how to read ... so there's that ...

There's something disturbingly wrong with this attitude that equates journalism (ie, seeking truth) with media (the "bros", et. al.). To each his own, but the two aren't the same in terms of stature. The fact that they are to some folks and that it's even OK to think that they are says a lot about how far modern journalism has fallen. As pendodave states, the importance of a strong unbiased 4th estate cannot be overstated. I know we're just talking golf here, but the confusion between journalism and media is endemic everywhere.

PS, a journalist doesn't need a degree to be a traditional journalist. He just needs an insatiable thirst for the truth, the energy to seek it, and the courage to print it no matter where it leads or who in power it hurts. That's why true journalists should be respected...not necessarily liked...but definitely respected.

• Like 1

I am glad to see that someone else has exactly the same view. I could not agree more on the difference with his persona. He hates people disagreeing with him. Quite happy to insult people in his columns but I once indicated that I disagreed with him when it came to Denis Pugh (who has been on one of his meltdown rants about who knows what) and Huggan blocked me...so mature.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I think one of the big issues that old media has is this idea that the two worlds of golf new can't coexist. Obviously Barstool is trying to tap into a different audience than many of the "real" sports and golf writers. Why is it so frustrating to them when they have winning moments. I mean I understand when they have the inside scoop on a story and they get out in front first. But when they "fanboy" what's the issue?

I am torn on this one. I think part of this issue is that as media, you are supposed to be there to observe, report, and remain unbiased. Now, I do not consider barstool sports media. They are something else, that I cannot completely define. They are more entertainment, so I don't see the need for them to be unbiased. I think that is where the fanboy comment came from.

Also, these media types are getting annoyed because these entertainment types that are loud, brash, in your face, and not what they consider professional are getting all kinds on access they are not. Look at Bob Menery, he just played a round of golf with Lexi Thompson. He is not media, yet has all kinds of inside access these old media guys can only dream of. They look at him and ask why? All he does (in their mind) is post stupid videos with strange saying and F bombs.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X