2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Barstool sports (YouTube print outs) vs. Journalists (degrees)

BB28403

Why shouldn't they be defensive? They are defending their brand as they should be. They were attacked by Huggins and the other guy and those two immediately blocked barstool so they couldn't see their comments or respond to them. How immature and cowardice is that? So IMO the Foreplay team defended themselves as they should and the attackers through a few stones then ran and hid. I give Shack credit for going on after making his snide comments instead of hiding.

So whether you like Barstool guys or not is irrelevant. A few individuals attacked someone and they defended themselves and yet you are putting them down for that? This is a clear example of victim blaming.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Obviously they aren't a victim of some horrendous thing but when other media outlets make offensive comments and you defend yourself you shouldn't be blamed for doing so. The word "defensive" has somehow turned into a bad word and a put down. Not sure why. Being defensive when someone or something is attacking you is necessary for survival.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I hated to give Barstool a click, but I did enter their podcast via GeoffShackelford.com

It will be interesting to see if they ever have another guest that will tempt me to put up with their millennial trashtalk.

Geoff was certainly polite. And since it was their forum, the Barstool guys had every opportunity to make their own largely unconvincing case. They did almost nothing to change my mind about who is right and who is wrong in terms of journalism ethics.

If you have not listened to the podcast or don't want to, I can tell you that the only thing you may be missing is Shackelford's forthright explanation that part of his gripe with Barstool is that the PGA Tour seems to be looser about allowing the posting of Barstool fanboy videos, than the Tour is about allowing Geoff Shackelford or other mainstream media outlets to put up their own less-fanboy video creations. That issue has been a long-standing one with Geoff, and he has publicly (and rightly in my view) complained about the PGA Tour's hegemonic control over video content on the 'net. The Barstool guys had a good point, which was that they have felt the wrath of the PGA Tour as well and Shackelford was totally sympathetic to that. And then of course Shackelford made the valid point that the Tour really did seem to have a different standard for some of what Barstool wanted to do, and seemingly just because Barstool was acting like low-grade fanboys and not journalists.

I will also confess to the obvious; I don't like Barstool. I don't like the guys; I don't like their constant f-bombs. I don't like their language in general. They are seemingly very web-savvy, and they seem to know very little about golf. They kept talking about Geoff's website, and never once mentioned any of his books. (Geoff did, eventually.) I don't think that the Barstool guys do "books." At one point, the Barstool guys said, "You just hate everything about the way we do things..." Geoff merely laughed; as I listened, I said out loud, "Yeah, I hate everything about the way you do things."

(They also featured a short discussion of Kapalua toward the end, and Geoff made the excellent point about how the final hour of the event was so thrilling not because of driving distance numbers but rather because the players had to deal with strategic decisions forced on them by the architecture and the choice of lines of play. Geoff did a blog post on the same point, and it goes directly to Geoff's lifelong argument about golf ball distances versus golf course architecture. People thrill to second shots and players' strategic decisions and risk taking. People do not thrill to tee shots.)

Well my friend, we are on the same side on this argument. I tried their podcast for a bit and I am not a fan of their fratboy, dudebro show. Some of their social media golf fail video posts are comical and make me laugh, but I do not like to listen to them talk.

I would rather listen to to the superintendent radio network. Great stuff on there.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have a degree in journalism and find both to be egregious, sensationalisitc, opinionated and solely seeking clicks to get paid... or placate their base.

Yet, Barstool is not really a 'news source' and can be opinionated when it comes to their content. Journalists, to me, need to be held to a higher standard since they are literally helping people shape a viewpoint of everything one cannot see firsthand.

The majority of 'Jouralists' today are lead by the nose and told to write a certain way. No one posts retractions any longer... let alone an apology. God forbid you make the wrong side 'mad' with the truth, you will soon be out of a job thanks to the keyboard mob who digs up something you said or did 20 years ago.

I do not fit the mold of the modern day journalist so I do not practice that any longer (20+ years). In fact, I am sure my comment is riddled with mistakes my old editor would light up red like a small town bar's neon sign. I won't sell my soul because someone hates another sports figure, political party or celebrity. The old ways of reporting are all but gone and this is widely evident with what people believe to be true nowadays.

This just in, Tiger had oatmeal this morning... expect 97 articles on why he bound to win 37 majors

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Here to me is where there is a huge disconnect that those on side of Geoff and traditional golf media dont seem to get. No one at barstool and specifically in this instance with foreplay defines themself as a journalist or is trying to be a journalist. They outright say all the time that they are not journalists, that they are very biased and cover sports and pop culture form an angle that the "common man" (definition open to interpretation by everyone) might find entertaining. That sort of coverage isnt going to be for everyone and thats fine but it comes off as petty for traditional media to throw the first punches at them and citing things like lack journalistic integrity as their issue with them.

Additionally I thought came off as even more petty that he was upset that they dont catch flack from the tour for certain social media posts when he and other traditional media members do. In what way is that Foreplay's fault where he should be going after them and not the tour? how is taking shots at them going to help that problem at all? To me it comes off as very hypocritical to use that as an argument when geoff and the traditional media get high and mighty about protecting the integrity of the game and showing respect and being gentlemanly

I gave both Barstool episodes a listen (1st episode with the interview with Geoff, 2nd episode with the reaction to the interview), it must have been hard for them to react on the same pod that they needed to push it off, to another episode. Their reaction to the interview would have been more effective right after it had taken place in my opinion.

While I try to give Barstool the benefit of the doubt and try to listen on the occasion (when they have tour players involved in some capacity), I find it cringeworthy to listen too most of the time. Some of their takes is what I don't like about part of the golf population but that's my own opinion and that's OK. The only people that I can give credit to in that group is Riggs and Lurch, they both seem to have an understanding and I thought were at least attempting to have a conversation and get to an understanding about Geoffs point of view. Frankie who always comes off as a spoiled little child who thinks he deserves the world. At least that came off in the interview while he was 'going off' on Shackleford, most likely for the clicks he thinks he brings in.

Geoff brings a valid point and he seemed to be able to handle the conversation well and I thought was honest with his views and there is nothing wrong with that. There should be equal guidelines placed on both groups so this conversation doesn't have to take place on who get's preferential treatment. Journalists like Geoff or Jamie should be presented with similar opportunities should they want to pursue those as well. Maybe Barstool should just attend events as fans as they mentioned during the podcasts so this gripe doesn't continue to occur. I mean let's be real, most of what they do is opinion work/content and not news.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

Now that is funny right there.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I can't tell if you are calling my post out or??

Of that particular episode with Geoff? I give Geoff credit going on the show. I also think it was apparent Geoff made some twitter comments off the cuff he regretted and was going on the show, not to defend his comments but to clarify where he was coming from and maybe learn about the space he isn’t familiar with. I think Geoff would have been better served by not placing blame on the PGA for him attacking the ForePlay boys. He might be frustrated that the landscape is changing and he isn’t sure how to professionally move forward. Geoff has the same access to the grounds the foreplay boys have and have chosen not to utilize it. They have. They have repeatedly said they are reporting the sport from the point of a regular fan but that doesn’t mean they aren’t hustling to create content and I think Geoff has learned the boys aren’t just going inside the ropes and looking for a high five from Tiger. They are approaching that task as a business. They relay on another episode the hours of discussions they had with the Tour on what they were allowed to film, where they were allowed to be located etc so they didn’t break any rules. They are hustling much like Geoff probably did in his 20s. Geoff wants access to the players and he feels the boys have an unfair advantage but that simply isn’t the case. They simply have gone about getting access In a different manner.

What was lacking in the entire episode is there is desire for both types of content, as displayed by posters on this forum, but I think in the end Geoff feels his career is going to be threatened by this new way of “reporting” golf. I imagine that is why he emotionally attacked them on Twitter. Not so sure I wouldn’t have done the same and equally regretted the decision.

i look at myself as an anomaly to the discussion. I’m 20 years older then the oldest foreplay boy and 10 years older than Geoff yet the Foreplay boys resonate with me much more than Geoff. I also hate social media other than forums like this and YouTube if that can be considered social media.

i think Twitter is a cesspool of people saying things to others they would never do fave to face and this was an example of Geoff returning to his normal cordial self by going on the show. I think the Foreplay guys could have been more cordial to him especially Frankie but I attribute that to ignorance of youth.

Foreplay and barstool as a whole has never presented themselves as a news/journalistic entity, they have always described themselves exactly as you did opinion/biased content. Nothing that foreplay does disrupts the tournament in any way shape or form. They arent screaming or causing commotion and the interactions they have during the tournament are no more intrusive or "given" to them than what any other individual with a media pass is provided. Id be happy to admit im wrong if anyone can give an example but i have never seen one

The only "preferential treatment" out there is the tour having geoff and others take down videos from social media but not foreplay. Is that a gripe, sure but that is a gripe with the tour and unless foreplay has has specifically asked the tour to allow them to have that ability and not allow others the same then it is in no way shape or form their fault. Geoff using that as his reasoning for going after them is nothing more than just an excuse so that he doesnt have to admit that he and traditional golf media as a whole does not like the fact that alternative media coverage now has access to the same arena that they have been in for a long time.

It is the space they are in though, even though their content falls into a different space it should still be treated as a form of media journalism. All I was trying to get at is there should be a standard across both the space Geoff and Barstool each create for so that these gripes don't occur.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens from here, do you think that Geoff will continue to have the same issues with Foreplay or is more open to that type of coverage? Or was it only a way to 'save face'? I personally don't think him going on the podcast wouldn't affect his base either way but he still chose to regardless so I think there was some honesty and not just an excuse.

I get what youre saying and agree but in terms of a level playing field in what is provided by the tour to each party, the only example i can see of one side having more than the other is Geoff being forced to take down videos and foreplay not. Like i said though i dont see how that is foreplay's fault to where his excuse for throwing the first punch at them because of that making much sense. Had he said something along the lines of "its bs that some tiger fanboys are getting preferential access to other media" then yeah i think his excuse would make sense. However the initial shot he took and defended with that excuse was essentially "the US team and a couple of fanboys with media passes are the only ones happy about the win." that doesnt that has anything to do with him being upset that they get preferential treatment by the tour.

Good question i think it will be interesting as well. I cant imagine he will ever agree with their style of coverage but i dont think he will be as direct in statements going against it. My best guess is his deciding to go on wasnt as much about his own fanbase as much as the foreplay fanbase. Historical foreplay and by extension their fans have taken issue with JT and bryson very publicly on social media similar to the backlash against Geoff only to have them come on the podcast and everyone do a complete 180 on their opinion of them. JT and Bryson are favorites of both the foreplay guys and their fans. I dont think geoff's appearance will get the same result but i would think that was at least partly behind his agreeing to come on

Maybe it's just me, but I remember at time when a journalist would write a story and let the reader form his or her own opinion. Now it seems many journalists tell the reader what to think and what to believe instead of simply reporting. Nothing wrong with Barstool and other similar sites as long as they don't try to pass themselves off as the "paper of record", or some such.

I follow Barstool on Twitter and get a kick out of Portnoy. I’m the age group that Barstool mostly identifies with, and I’m not really a fan of ForePlay. The main guy, Riggs, probably has a future in golf media, but the rest of the crew...not so much. I think No Laying Up is killing it, and wouldn’t be surprised if they expanded. Barstool is in your face and thrives off controversy, which is an interesting model for golf media...

We're getting into semantics here, but journalism and media are not interchangeable terms today. I suspect all journalists would consider themselves media, but not all media would consider themselves journalists.

And the Tour hands out "media credentials". That's not an accident.

• Like 2

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

What is the definition of "killing it?" Apple podcasts charts show Foreplay is #26 favorite podcast in all of sports and NLU is #48. Barstool Sports podcasts as a whole are definitively killing it with the #30 of all podcasts is Call Her Daddy, #50 of all podcasts is Pardon My Take. The top sports category podcasts are dominated by Barstool Sports with a further narrowing to golf podcasts being Foreplay #1.

There is jealousy abound by Geoff Shackleford and his peers because the Fore Play boys muscled in their way to the top with pure nose to the grindstone hard work and a common connection to what most people are interested in with regards to golf and the golf world. The old guy media doesn't get it and probably never will. You guys can insult them all you want but the fact is the majority of consumers of golf entertainment disagree. The metrics back that up.

These "kids" are number 1 and their podcast and media / entertainment content is only 3 years old. The train is coming and the old guard needs to jump on or get out of the way.

• Like 1