New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

I'm going to dash some hopes here, including my own.  On the YT video I mentioned earlier, Alex was asked about reporting path and face angle data.  He played kind of dumb about it, saying something like "I don't see that happening.  I don't see how we could do that."

Yet, Alex is a pretty smart guy.  This thing is too accurate in its estimating shot shape versus actual ball flight not to be able to take an educated guess at path and face angle.  It's gotta be better than R10.

40 minutes ago, games said:

I'm going to dash some hopes here, including my own.  On the YT video I mentioned earlier, Alex was asked about reporting path and face angle data.  He played kind of dumb about it, saying something like "I don't see that happening.  I don't see how we could do that."

Yet, Alex is a pretty smart guy.  This thing is too accurate in its estimating shot shape versus actual ball flight not to be able to take an educated guess at path and face angle.  It's gotta be better than R10.

They could absolutely measure path and calculate face angle with minimal effort and cost. The real question is more about how willing they are to release that information and undercut their more expensive products. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

They could absolutely measure path and calculate face angle with minimal effort and cost. The real question is more about how willing they are to release that information and undercut their more expensive products. 

Problem is their expensive Products are being undercut already, with the R10 and the GC3/LP.

Marketing says, they need to be relevant, why else did they send us that crazy mail right after the Launch of GC3,  They are trying to get their market share hyped so they dont lose their prospective supporters already.  Timing is all marketing.

But what the let loose is the big key here.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Funny.  I ridicule the LP GC3 crowd.  I firmly believe in accuracy of Mevo+ And all the bluster, the only club data GC3 gives more than Mevo+ is path for a paltry $5000.

Yet, there are R10 supporters swearing it’s accurate and my perception is the R10 spin axis has all the accuracy of a random number generator.

42 minutes ago, games said:

Funny.  I ridicule the LP GC3 crowd.  I firmly believe in accuracy of Mevo+ And all the bluster, the only club data GC3 gives more than Mevo+ is path for a paltry $5000.

Yet, there are R10 supporters swearing it’s accurate and my perception is the R10 spin axis has all the accuracy of a random number generator.

The Mevo + is at least measuring the spin. You never cease to talk up the accuracy of the Mevo + but in a limited flight environment (garage, backyard net) I haven't seen any reviews that would lead me to believe it is the equal accuracy wise of a GC4 and hypothetically a GC3. Believe me I want to be wrong and save some $ but for as good as the Mevo + is it still is comparatively inaccurate in the environments I anticipate using it.

3 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

The Mevo + is at least measuring the spin. You never cease to talk up the accuracy of the Mevo + but in a limited flight environment (garage, backyard net) I haven't seen any reviews that would lead me to believe it is the equal accuracy wise of a GC4 and hypothetically a GC3. Believe me I want to be wrong and save some $ but for as good as the Mevo + is it still is comparatively inaccurate in the environments I anticipate using it.

I sold my more powerful flightscope Xi+ and passed up on a cheap X3 upgrade for this exact reason, I never had full confidence it was super accurate beyond ball speed. I always suspected Spin and spin axis measurement was at times inaccurate indoors and there were tons of misreads or completely missed shots.  Not to mention it's a complete crapshoot with chips and pitches. Now after having a quad for a few months, I can confim it was in fact inaccurate and much less reliable from shot to shot. 

If you have a large interference free indoor space or use it outdoors with real balls, it's a great bang for the buck. I spent a lot more money, but I am way  more confidence my club and spin data. The GC3 is a great value if you look at what you are really getting, especially if you are mainly using it indoors.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:17 PM, games said:

The R10's path measurements are very good after the 3.60 FW update. The spin axis, however, seems to be a bit questionable indoors but outdoors it's pretty solid. Certainly not GC3 level good, but definitely not a "random number generator".

Another factor coming into play here is Full Swing Kit just announced it's going to be fulfilling pre-orders and opening up its order window one week from today.  For $4k you get all the club data.  Like MEVO+ it has a built in camera for swing video purposes.

Some M+ users are noticing for the first time that data blocks for path and face angle (and other variants only once visible to X3 users) are now visible.  No one is confirming that there is data populating the new windows, though.  So, I suspect FlightScope may offer a paid upgrade to unlock some of the data on MEVO+, and I would be OK with that.

1 hour ago, dk10438 said:

Any update on how the Mevo plus refresh?  I’m hesitant to buy one until I know if it’s software/firmware update or if it’s a change in the hardware 

Where was it publicised that FS is going to refresh the Mevo+?

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade MG2 50, [email protected], 60, Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

56 minutes ago, dk10438 said:

maybe "refresh" is an overstatement. FS twitter feed

"we've listened and soon your Mevo+ will offer more"  

whatever that means....

Software/firmware update at most...

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade MG2 50, [email protected], 60, Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

3 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

Has anybody heard what the big secret news is yet?

It's called "Fusion Tracking." It's supposed to combine the 3D Doppler and high speed image processing. Will be released to all Mevo+ users. Will improve all Mevo+ data parameters and will open up access to even more capabilities for Mevo+.

Per email I just got from them.

31 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

It's called "Fusion Tracking." It's supposed to combine the 3D Doppler and high speed image processing. Will be released to all Mevo+ users. Will improve all Mevo+ data parameters and will open up access to even more capabilities for Mevo+.

So it’s going to combine the camera with the Doppler technology?

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

nice...wonder if it'll improve their indoor (aka garage) capabilities.  My net is only about 6' away so not good for radar sims.  

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

HEre is a very vague video about Fusion Tracking.  If anyone has owned an X3 and would like to elaborate, please feel free..

Will be interesting to see if the Fusion Tracking will make a big difference in terms of accuracy, especially spin axis.  Or if it will just be used for more data, like club path.

The camera is only 30fps, I'm not sure how this compares to the X3, which already uses Fusion Tracking.  I just get the sense that with the limited hardware in the M+, this isn't going to be that useful of an upgrade.  I hope I'm wrong though.

Isn't this part of the update...

Edited by Quest for Perfection

Taylor Made SIM2 Max 8 /  Project X Tour PVx 52 7.0

Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5 / Project X Tour PVx 52 7.0

Callaway Epic SubZero 18 / Project X Tour PVx 52 7.0

Callaway Apex Utility 21 + 24  + 27 / KBS Tour V 110 S

Callaway Tour Prototype ..R.. 6 - PW / TTDG X100

Miura forged 53 + 59 / TTDG S400

Odyssey Milled Black Series #1

I was curious about what Fusion Tracking is and does.  Found the patent on the Flightscope webpage.  It's pretty interesting, and best illustrated in the pictures below from the patent.  The picture on the left shows two tracks:  The left track is the flight of the ball captured by camera, and the right track is longer-distance flight captured by radar.  The camera captures the actual flight but only for a short distance.  The radar tracks the ball for a longer distance but is distorted 1 degree to the right due to an unknown source of interference.

Fusion Technology is represented by the picture on the right.  It basically "resolves" the differences between the two technologies by moving the radar track to the left one degree to match the initial path captured by the camera.  I'm sure it does more than that simple explanation, but this made sense to me.         

image.png.3166ab105e695ca86bf6c9d165e490e6.png 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kmelv41 said:

Will be interesting to see if the Fusion Tracking will make a big difference in terms of accuracy, especially spin axis.  Or if it will just be used for more data, like club path.

The camera is only 30fps, I'm not sure how this compares to the X3, which already uses Fusion Tracking.  I just get the sense that with the limited hardware in the M+, this isn't going to be that useful of an upgrade.  I hope I'm wrong though.

The camera may have higher speed readout modes at lower bit depth or resolution that could be used.

4 hours ago, whumber said:

The camera may have higher speed readout modes at lower bit depth or resolution that could be used.

Excellent point, this goes back to the "global shutter" technology that pretty much all cameras use now, the 30 FPS is purely the software setting, if the hardware has the processing power to handle more frames then this can be ramped up.

I'm not familar with the camera on the mevo + to know how good it is, I was under the impression it was probably fairly standard / lowish resolution, so intrigued to see what it can be made to track, club, ball or both.

6 hours ago, hammersia said:

Excellent point, this goes back to the "global shutter" technology that pretty much all cameras use now, the 30 FPS is purely the software setting, if the hardware has the processing power to handle more frames then this can be ramped up.

I'm not familar with the camera on the mevo + to know how good it is, I was under the impression it was probably fairly standard / lowish resolution, so intrigued to see what it can be made to track, club, ball or both.

Outside of industrial applications and super high end cinema work global shutters are still pretty rare, especially among CMOS sensors. There's still just too big of a price and image quality penalty for global shutter sensors to be the standard. That said, the camera actually being limited to 30fps is extremely unlikely unless they're using something from around 2010. Most likely the 30fps comes from limitations of the iOS/Android camera APIs which generally only allow access to the most basic of camera operations unless the developer builds their own API. On Android at least, there's been some progress with the CameraX API which allows more access to camera features but I'm not sure how broad the adoption is there and I don't really know much about the situation on iOS.