New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

15 minutes ago, prusd said:

And do you know if the fusion tracking will help with accuracy with INDOOR ball flight?  Or does it only help with outdoor ball flight?

Thanks again

I doubt it will help much at all with indoor ball flight. Fusion tracking is using the camera in conjunction with the radar to mostly work out short game d-plane data, an area where radar struggles at times since the club and ball are traveling so close in speed, it makes it hard for the algorithms to decipher between what is the ball and what is the club.  I am guessing they use the camera to segment the data better. The camera on the mevo unit is not super high speed and not super high resolution, so I doubt it will have much (if any) impact on improving accuracy indoors.

41 minutes ago, prusd said:

And do you know if the fusion tracking will help with accuracy with INDOOR ball flight?  Or does it only help with outdoor ball flight?

Thanks again

All I can do is parrot Alex from Flightscope in saying yes it will help. What that means IRL is TBD but if can close the gap accuracy wise btw the GCQ / GC3 then for my money and game it’s my choice. The GCQ / GC3 are the gold standard for indoor - no sense in denying it but $7k vs $3k for the working man is no joke. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

All I can do is parrot Alex from Flightscope in saying yes it will help. What that means IRL is TBD but if can close the gap accuracy wise btw the GCQ / GC3 then for my money and game it’s my choice. The GCQ / GC3 are the gold standard for indoor - no sense in denying it but $7k vs $3k for the working man is no joke. 

Yep, Alex said it would help all clubs indoors. We will have to wait to see if reality matches the claims of the marketing guy based on beta testing.

Also Henri Johnson (their CEO) said that face and path data will have a one degree margin of error.

So someone on the other golf simulator board made a summary of the instagram live presentation.  I've copied it below.  I hope this is allowed.  I found it very useful and helpful in addition to what was posted here.  Credit is given at the bottom

>>>

I just watched the Flightscope Instagram Live video.

Key takeaways were:

- Pro package launch date is January 22 (PGA Show). One time upgrade fee of $1000.
- It basically makes the Mevo+ into "Mevo+ Pro" unit for life. (it cannot be decoupled, hence transferrable)
- Club path / face to path accuracy will be wiithin 1 degree (confirmed by Henri himself in the video)
- Pro package club data are all measured, made possible by the separate fusion tracking upgrade.
- There may be a promotional upgrade price for existing Mevo+ owners before the launch

- Face impact location will be X3-only and won't be added to Mevo+ pro package.
- No club face stickers are needed.
- Club head speed tracking (with swing plane) without hitting a ball is also coming. (ready by PGA show)

- Fusion tracking is a free firmware upgrade to all Mevo+ units and is not part of the pro package.
- Fusion tracking firmware upgrade may come sooner than the PGA show
- Fusion tracking will improve accuracy for all clubs
- Built-in camera is good enough. There may be a lighting requirement however.

- Titleist Pro V1 RCT balls were tested with good results. Joint press release will happen soon.
- Integration testing with the "game that cannot be named in this forum" is ongoing, and will come.

- PC app is coming but won't be ready by PGA show. So seems it'll be later. (MAC also)
- They are trying to migrate most things into a single FS Golf app. (even some VX stuff)
- Alex hinted that a video app with multicam support is coming to Mevo+ (for everyone)
Last edited by aussiebenny; <<<<<
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, prusd said:

So someone on the other golf simulator board made a summary of the instagram live presentation.  I've copied it below.  I hope this is allowed.  I found it very useful and helpful in addition to what was posted here.  Credit is given at the bottom

>>>

Key takeaways were:

- Pro package launch date is January 22 (PGA Show). One time upgrade fee of $1000.
- It basically makes the Mevo+ into "Mevo+ Pro" unit for life. (it cannot be decoupled, hence transferrable)
- Club path / face to path accuracy will be wiithin 1 degree (confirmed by Henri himself in the video)
- Pro package club data are all measured, made possible by the separate fusion tracking upgrade.
- There may be a promotional upgrade price for existing Mevo+ owners before the launch

- Club head speed tracking (with swing plane) without hitting a ball is also coming. (ready by PGA show)

- Fusion tracking is a free firmware upgrade to all Mevo+ units and is not part of the pro package.

- Titleist Pro V1 RCT balls were tested with good results. Joint press release will happen soon.
- Integration testing with the "game that cannot be named in this forum" is ongoing, and will come.

- PC app is coming but won't be ready by PGA show. So seems it'll be later. (MAC also)
- They are trying to migrate most things into a single FS Golf app. (even some VX stuff)
- Alex hinted that a video app with multicam support is coming to Mevo+ (for everyone)

Thanks for all that.  I'm guessing the "game that cannot be named in the forum" is GSPro?  That all sounds amazing.  I got my Mevo+ when they had the Labor Day sale, and it has just gotten better since that time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, games said:

I already laid out what Fusion Tracking is DIRECTLY from the PATENT.  Not from "what people mentioned."  Try to keep up.

It seems like the point you highlighted from the patent is related to using the camera to cut through radar interference that affected how the unit captured the horizontal launch angle of the ball.

Not sure how much that is actually going to help as radar units have pretty much been as accurate as anything else on the market when capturing horizontal launch angle whether indoors or out.

I was just reading up on the new RCT Titleist ball. Trackman says it can "accurately" (? - to within . . 100rpms?)  capture spin rates with 8 feet of ball flight 99% of the time. The technology is designed specifically to work with Trackman but other radar units will also benefit - but not to the same degree, at least not initially.  

With the upcoming joint press release between Flightscope and Titleist I'm hoping they will give some indication about the improvement is spin readings for Mevo+ in short indoor mode. With everything else coming this could be the last piece of the puzzle that will improve spin axis readings indoor and provide a near professional level of data and accuracy in a $2k (or $3k w/ pro package) device.

2 hours ago, prusd said:

>>>

Key takeaways were:

1 hour ago, Dan13 said:

I was just reading up on the new RCT Titleist ball. Trackman says it can "accurately" (? - to within . . 100rpms?)  capture spin rates with 8 feet of ball flight 99% of the time. The technology is designed specifically to work with Trackman but other radar units will also benefit - but not to the same degree, at least not initially.  

With the upcoming joint press release between Flightscope and Titleist I'm hoping they will give some indication about the improvement is spin readings for Mevo+ in short indoor mode. With everything else coming this could be the last piece of the puzzle that will improve spin axis readings indoor and provide a near professional level of data and accuracy in a $2k (or $3k w/ pro package) device.

My fear is based on the initial work with Trackman, the initial release will be a ball specific to Trackman.  Then, develop another ball for use with FlightScope with delays to market due to testing and production.

Apologies to those following the "Bushnell Launch Pro Device with Foresight" thread...this is an edited cross-post.

Wondering if y'all will check my work.

With all of the news around BLP/GC3 and Mevo+ Pro, I created this table to summarize features...

image.png.85206e7fd8246cc805f414c823aedd2d.png

How'd I do?

Here's what's making me scratch my head...indoors vs. outdoors.  I currently have an R10 which is my first launch monitor.  Seems pretty obvs that either Mevo+ or GC3/BLP Gold will be a huge upgrade (as they should be - given the price).  But I only have a few weeks of experience with LMs - so I'm definitely a noob.  My use case - at least today - is 100% outdoor use for game improvement.  I have no plans for sim or indoor play.  IF - and it is a BIIIIIIG if - Mevo+ Pro IS as accurate as BLP Gold/GC3 OUTDOORS is seems like a no-brainer.  SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive and more data parameters.  Other than the accuracy question...am I missing something?

I just bought the Mevo + so I've drunk the cool aid if you will but I think you've got it.  Mevo + measures about 80 yards of flight after which the algorithms take over which should be very comparable to tracking full flight in calm conditions.   Unknowns are of course the accuracy of all the data in the pro package but if the CEO says accurate to within 1 degree with path and face then I was willing to roll the dice and purchase.

Fusion Tracking sounds great and the option to purchase club data is amazing but without accurate spin measurements indoors the Mevo+ can never compete with the big boys. 

The success or failure of measuring spin indoors with the new RCT balls will determine if Mevo+ is a real improvement tool or a mostly accurate and fun to use video game system. 

7 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Fusion Tracking sounds great and the option to purchase club data is amazing but without accurate spin measurements indoors the Mevo+ can never compete with the big boys. 

The success or failure of measuring spin indoors with the new RCT balls will determine if Mevo+ is a real improvement tool or a mostly accurate and fun to use video game system. 

For indoor use ball data I agree with you.  Indoor use club data it could still be very useful. For outdoor use it should really be a great and accurate improvement tool.

35 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

For indoor use ball data I agree with you.  Indoor use club data it could still be very useful. For outdoor use it should really be a great and accurate improvement tool.

Just depends on how much of the club data is actually measured. I think the majority of it will be calculated from ball data (face angle, face to path, dynamic loft, etc).

1 minute ago, mgoblue83 said:

Just depends on how much of the club data is actually measured. I think the majority of it will be calculated from ball data (face angle, face to path, dynamic loft, etc).

Flightscope was asked that directly and they said it was measured not calculated and the CEO said that the tolerance for path, FTP, FTT will be plus/minus one degree. They put it out there so I'm sure everyone will be testing it come February.

1 minute ago, Dan13 said:

Flightscope was asked that directly and they said it was measured not calculated and the CEO said that the tolerance for path, FTP, FTT will be plus/minus one degree. They put it out there so I'm sure everyone will be testing it come February.

Even Trackman doesn't measure face angle directly. Radar can't do that. It's a calculation based on ball launch data compared to club path (which is measured by radar). The good news is that the calculation is easy and accurate IF the ball data and club path are measured accurately. 

5 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Even Trackman doesn't measure face angle directly. Radar can't do that. It's a calculation based on ball launch data compared to club path (which is measured by radar). The good news is that the calculation is easy and accurate IF the ball data and club path are measured accurately. 

So that means the club path and H launch angle is measured directly and the face angle can be calculated from it.  I know the face angle is always btw the two but outside the 75-80% control by the face I do not know the math behind it.

8 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Pretty sure I heard the same thing from Henri during the Mevo+ Pro launch event - measured, not calculated.  But I have the same question.  How CAN it make these MEASUREMENTS?  Calculations, I can kinda get.  But MEASUREMENTS?  Seems to me that it would be somehow making these measurements from the BACK fo the club.  If all clubs were uniform in shape, I suppose I could understand this process.  But they're not.  Compare the shape (depth, length, offset, etc.) of a mega-game-improvement club to a tour blade and it is almost like you're comparing the shapes of a hammer and a screwdriver.  This whole thing fascinates me.

2 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Even if indoors it is only a fun video game system, it becomes a serious game improvement tool if you take it outside to the course or range.  I will take a radar measuring actual ball flight for 80-100 yards over the GC3/Bushnell device that snaps pictures only in the first foot or so of flight.

• Like 1

Definitely going to keep an open mind to this update as you guys are able to share your thoughts.  I was all about the BLP, but the subscription cost is a huge turn off.  I want the data not the simulation.  To get the data I want, I would be in another $800 a year and get a bunch of courses I have no intention of playing.  

Hopefully we'll see a lot of comparisons when the time comes. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

4 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

All these new features seem to center around the unlocking of the camera, something Trackman doesn't have. I'm inclined to believe them if they say its measured.

Edit: Forgot that Trackman DOES have a camera. My bad.

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Is the practice software that is included with the unit pretty robust?  I know it says something about 5 courses for iOS too.  While it's not a big deal for me now, I was thinking that it may be nice if my kids finally decide to take up the game.  Is it pretty basic graphics and such? Not cartoonish like the Home Tee Hero thing with the Garmin?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 minute ago, sshadow2 said:

All these new features seem to center around the unlocking of the camera, something Trackman doesn't have. I'm inclined to believe them if they say its calculated.

Trackman does use a camera. Its dual radar + camera. They just don't call it "Fusion Tracking".  Trackman does give impact location on the face and obviously face angle as well.

9 minutes ago, sshadow2 said:

All these new features seem to center around the unlocking of the camera, something Trackman doesn't have. I'm inclined to believe them if they say its measured.

I'm going to say there's a big difference between the cameras in optical systems and the camera that's in the mevo+.  I really doubt it has the resolution, shutter speed, and/or light gathering needed to measure this.  "Fusion Tracking" is about syncing the ball position up between the camera and the radar and as far as they've said, it has nothing to do with club data.

26 minutes ago, radiman said:

Definitely going to keep an open mind to this update as you guys are able to share your thoughts.  I was all about the BLP, but the subscription cost is a huge turn off.  I want the data not the simulation.  To get the data I want, I would be in another $800 a year and get a bunch of courses I have no intention of playing.  

Hopefully we'll see a lot of comparisons when the time comes. 

This why I went with Mevo + with everything coming (Fusion tracking, pro package, RCT balls). $3800 with $800 reoccuring unless you pony up another $4k. Ouch. I can only swing irons in my garage so the accuracy issue should be reduced indoors for me. I'll take the M+ to the range or set up a hitting station in my back yard for longer clubs. 

I will try some of the free E6 courses which my understanding is that they are a significant improvement on Home Tee Hero but still a middle of the road simulation). One thing I have noticed is how well the Flightscope apps are put together. Very easy to track clubs, set practice targets / combines. Very cool.

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Based on the Q&A with Henri Johnson, it seems that most of our hopes for improved accuracy for spin rates depend on the RCT ball. He said that the radar will still be responsible for reading spin even when Fusion Tracking is introduced.

There was a question at 29:40 of the video (paraphrasing) "will the Fusion Tracking improve accuracy without the Pro Package" and unfortunately it glitched out and most of his answer was cut off, except for "yes it will at the end". If the radar is still measuring the ball then I wonder if this only applies to improved angle of attack accuracy.

• Like 1