2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon Dunes Trip - Flying Solo - June

NippedWedge

You'll do just fine. I spent 4 days a single. Mix it up and try all the restaurants. There's good breakfast and lunches, but really liked Gallery and McKees for dinner.

I was pretty wiped out after day one and 36 (but I did have 22 hours of dumb travel the day before). Felt terrible waking up, but by the time I got on the first tee at Old Mac the next morning, I was fine. Push it hard, but know your limits so you don't drag through the back half of the trip.

Personally - I love it. You will have a blast.

At 47, I've played 45 a day at bandon several days in a row. I am also signed up for solstice (72 in a day) and hoping to make at least 90 holes that day.

Here are my tips:

1) You will walk between 20 and 25 miles a day. You need to change socks and shoes along the way. Plus you need to have anti chafe cream because golf clothes were not meant to be worn for 25 miles.

2) Its not the mileage that will get you. Its the 250 shots a day that will get you. Make sure your core is strong. I've already started a strength routine for solstice. Search the web for a strength / stretching routine for the core and do it religiously until you get there.

3) Early June can still be super iffy on weather. You need to prepare for a day of downpours. I would still play but you will need several pairs of shoes, several rain shirts, and WARM clothes. 50 and pouring is not the same as 50 and sunny.

4) Again, not the mileage but the wind and the sun. Lots of sunscreen, lip balm, etc. You don't understand what a windy day will do to your mental and physical state at Bandon.

5) Realize that there is a luck of the draw in regards to playing partners. I've had some great playing partners as a single at Bandon and I've had some really bad ones. Don't be afraid to ask the marshall for help when you have a brutal playing partner to either move up or back a group. The bad playing partners will sap your energy faster. I had one guy who was determined to play with me at the tips. He had no business. Plus he was an asshole. Best advice is bring earpods and use them if they are assholes. Don't worry, the caddies will understand.

6) DO NOT SIT. Sitting for lunch is a horrible call. Eat on the course. Sitting will stiffen you up. Eat lots of small meals / bars. Just keep going and get done earlier so you can have two glasses of wine. Or go for 63 holes.

7) McKees pub at the bar every night for dinner. Make friends. Hit the bunker bar. Enjoy the social aspect of Bandon. As a single, you will make friends and people will invite you into the groups.

8) Your schedule looks great. On the 10th, I would play SR as the 3rd round vs. a 3rd time at Bandon Dunes. Bandon Dunes can get boring. I wouldnt change a thing other wise about the tee times other than on the night of the 7th, try to sneak onto the Preserve at dusk and play that. The preserve is really really cool.

9) Make sure you get first tracks for your morning rounds. Lots of times you can slot in as a single earlier but you don't want to get behind on tee times.

@shackmangolf - Love this advice. Really appreciate it. Good luck with the Solstice (that sounds awesome)! My comments:
Noted. Had not thought about the anti-chafe creme.On it. Got a pretty good routine right now, but need to up the emphasis on core and lower body.Worrisome, didn't know this about the early June weather. But sounds like weather can be iffy any month of the year. Noted re: clothing. Looking at DryJoy shoes and Sun Mountain or Footjoy rain gear. Will do re: sunscreen / lip balm.Yea, I'll figure this out as it comes my way.Yea, I had considered this. Sitting down between rounds is an absolute no-no for me.Will do. Looking forward to McKees and having the NBA playoffs on. Plan on trying to shoot some pool / play Hold'em at Bunker Bar as well. I've changed up my itinerary (see below). Would love additional input. Yep, I'm going to try to do this every day. New Itinerary:
Friday 6/5
Practice at home coursePackCLT to PDX flight (arrive at 10PM)Drive to Eugene and stay at Courtyard Marriott (w/ points)Saturday 6/6
Do a bit of shopping in the morning in Eugene for a good bottle of wine, snacks, etc.Drive to BandonTwo options once I get to Bandon (would love input on this): (1) Play Bandon Crossings + evening practice at Bandon Dunes or (2) All day practice session at Bandon Dunes (includes Shortys, Punchbowl, range). Leaning towards option 2 in order to get used to turf, wind, and bunkers.Stay at Bandon Inn or other hotelSunday 6/7
Bandon Dunes Pacific DunesPreserveCheck-inMonday 6/8
Sheep RanchBandon TrailsOptional: Pick'em (not going to fret on getting more than 36 in, but if I'm feeling good, will keep going)Tuesday 6/9
Old MacBandon TrailsOptional: Pick'emWednesday 6/10
Sheep RanchOptional: Pick'em (believe Pacific is closed for tourney this day)Check outDrive to Eugene to stay in Courtyard MarriottThursday 6/11
Easy going morningDrive to Portland, have lunch, maybe do 1 activityPDX to CLT at 11PM Open to suggestions for Thursday itinerary. Had also considered staying in Bandon on Wednesday and playing Crossings Thursday morning (then making long drive to airport).

Awesome itinerary, like the flexibility you built in. Only thing I would do definitely is try to get Pacific more than once, it's my favorite but honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the courses. I would also play on day of arrival if you get there and have more than 6 hours of daylight, Bandon Dunes is a good first course option. You will be so pumped when you get there that it will be hard not to get out and play. The turf is unique, very tight lies but it doesn't take all that much to get used to.

That's a great itinerary. I think you'll thank yourself for leaving the third round optional. It's free, so you're playing with house money and can go as long as you like. Agree with jrg and I'd swap out PD for Trails on Tuesday, and playing a round on your arrival day as well, but that's really about it.

If you're staying at the Courtyard Marriott off Beltline in Eugene, you're right across the street from Hop Valley Brew Pub. It's excellent. For wine, unless you want to go into Eugene, there's Bo's Wine Depot just down MLK/Pioneer Pkwy. Better than a supermarket, but not super high end. It's near a Safeway and Fred Meyer for anything else you might want to pick up. Easy return to the freeway if you are taking I-5 south.

Consider stopping and playing a round Langdon Farms on Thursday morning. It's right off the freeway south of Portland and will be uncrowded on a weekday morning. Arguably the best public course in the PDX area.

And don't forget the trip report!

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Random question but where are you from?

Either way if you want to play a true PNW gem, on Weds night drive through Eugene to TokaTee golf club. Super small town but there are some cheap hotels. Probably a 50 or 60 dollar round on Thurs morning. I can’t say enough about that course and feel it kind of sums up living up here. Finish up around 1 and have a nice drive back to Portland. Plus the scenery on that drive is why a lot of us live up here.

• Like 1

@spud3: Appreciate the logistic advice. I'll definitely stop at Bo's on Saturday as I make my way to Bandon. May hit up the pub on my way back. After looking at both, I am kind of split on whether to do TokaTee or Langdon. Nice to have options though, Not playing Day 1 b/c round won't be at resort rate (I check in the following day). @mallrat: I'm from North Carolina (Charlotte area). As mentioned above, I'll definitely be considering TokaTee.

Technically, you could, but it's not a "hop." It's some of the most significant elevation changes at the resort. There's a reason there's a shuttle from 13 green to 14 tee. 14 tee is the highest point on the whole property. You'd then head down (and up) to finish 14, then down to 15 tee, then over the big dune on 15, then all the way up 16. That's a decent workout even if you haven't played 18/36 prior. They may be arguably some of the best holes on Trails, but it's also the hardest walk of the course.

If you're talking about a short loop at the end of a long day, you're better off going from 5 green to 17 tee, which is right next door and on the same elevation.

5th green to 14 tee is walking up and around the back of 16 green, then all the way up the hill - is there even a path there? - until you link up with the trail from 13 to 14.

I think - could be wrong - the trail that goes from 13 to 14, if you followed it down it would lead to that trailhead that comes out between 11 green/12 tee?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

There's a service road that runs between 5 green and 16 green, runs all along between 4 and 16, then turns up the hill to 14 tee (it's the same road that the shuttle runs up). It's probably a good 1/2 mile hike, almost all up, especially the last 500 yards.

So, technically, yeah, you could... but it would suck. Especially if you're just adding a few holes after 18/36. I almost never consider Trails as a good add-on short loop. The one time I did the 1-5+17+18, I had to deal with tons of groups coming off 16 and basically had to wait for a threesome to come by that I could join up with. There are lots of other options on the other courses where you don't have to worry about stepping into groups that are finishing up their full rounds.

And yes, that same road (and trail) from 13 green, if you turn right instead of left, will drop you down to 11 green/12 tee.

If I was looking for a loop on Trails longer than 1-5, 17-18, but still limited daylight, try this. (probably only work when the course is relatively empty) 1 to 7, skip over to 11 tee and play it, then take the maintenance path from 11 green to the shuttle up to 14 tee, and play all the way in. This skips 5 holes so would save an 60 to 90 minutes.

For what it's worth I like trails but that isn't the course I'd try if I was looking at the last hour or 2 of daylight for golf. It's a little to spread out.

• 2 weeks later...

So have a few detailed questions that I'm hoping to get feedback on:

Right now looking at doing a round at Preserve and a twilight round at Bandon Crossings on my first day in Bandon (I will not be a resort guest until the following day). Does this sound like a good plan?Last day of the trip is still up in the air. I will be in Eugene and traveling back to PDX for a 11PM flight. 3 options I am considering: (1) 18 at Langdon Farms (easiest logistically, (2) 18 at Tokatee (feels off the beaten path, makes trip more memorable), 18 at Pumpkin Ridge (best course probably). Any feedback / suggestions?I'll be celebrating my birthday the week of the trip. Any recommended Oregon wines to try (in the $30 - $75 price range)? Should I bring a wine opener or is there one in the room?What cocktails / drinks does the resort do well?Best breakfast / lunch spots in Eugene? Best breakfast / lunch / dinner spots in town of Bandon (have seen post on this, but just wanted to get updated answers)?

1) It would work, but I'd try getting on at Bandon at whatever course happens to have an opening. I've done it when I'm not technically a resort guest, IE check in tomorrow, but with some light sweet talking they still gave me the guest rate. Just go to whatever pro shop is near by (I went from the range to Old Mac) and see if there's an opening somewhere, and explain you actually check in tomorrow. I'm guessing they'll let you go out because why turn down a paying customer when there's an opening?

2) Haven't played any so no comment, but I've heard good things about Langdon from others here and logistically it is easy. I've also heard good things about Tokatee, but that's a little tougher driving wise.

3) No idea on wine, but there is a simple bottle opener in the room.

4) I've never had a really bad one, just do whatever you normally drink. (I did particularly enjoy the bloody mary at Pac Grill)

5) No idea, I'll let others comment.

6) In Bandon I can endorse Edgewaters for dinner. I know the crab shack is also usually mentioned here.

Right now looking at doing a round at Preserve and a twilight round at Bandon Crossings on my first day in Bandon (I will not be a resort guest until the following day). Does this sound like a good plan? nothing wrong with this plan; but agree - try getting your twilight on a Bandon course - maybe TrailLast day of the trip is still up in the air. I will be in Eugene and traveling back to PDX for a 11PM flight. 3 options I am considering: (1) 18 at Langdon Farms (easiest logistically, (2) 18 at Tokatee (feels off the beaten path, makes trip more memorable), 18 at Pumpkin Ridge (best course probably). Any feedback / suggestions? Well Pumpkin is the best course of the bunch; Langdon is plenty of fun; Tokatee is great views, but not a great course. Since your flight is so late, I would do Tokatee - the other 2 courses are good Oregon courses, but not enough to say "I have to play them". I'll be celebrating my birthday the week of the trip. Any recommended Oregon wines to try (in the $30 - $75 price range)? Should I bring a wine opener or is there one in the room? Bring your own wine opener regardless; Erath is always a good choice in both the lower priced and next levels up; Domaine Drouhin and Domaine Serene are musts but may be higher than you want to spend. Eminent Domain Ribbon; most of the Bethel Heights stuff (Aeolian is my fav); Bergstrom; Beaux Frers; and finally a open bias Joe Dobbes wine - Cuvee, Meyer or Quail (Dobbes is who make my wine )What cocktails / drinks does the resort do well? Bunker Bar is most whisky drink, especially Old Fashion; Pac Grill has some nice cocktails on the menu that are good. I don't care for the bartenders at the other bars.Best breakfast / lunch spots in Eugene? Best breakfast / lunch / dinner spots in town of Bandon (have seen post on this, but just wanted to get updated answers)? Alloro hands down - may be the best restaurant on the coast - get a rez if possible.

• Like 1

Definitely play at the resort. You're already there and as stated above, it's easy to walk on most of the courses in the afternoonTokatee is an ok course, but it's 70-90 minutes east of Eugene. Driving all the way there after several days at Bandon, playing 18, then driving all the way to Portland would be close to a Death March/Drive. Mosey your way to Portland, play at Langdon (right off I-5 and a better course than Pumpkin IMO), then have a nice dinner in Portland before your flight.No preferenceI bring my ownDepends on what kind of breakfast you like, but the Glenwood (either one, there are two) is always a solid choice, especially for healthy stuff. For biscuits n gravy style, Dixie's in Veneta is hard to beat, but a little ways out. Tacovore is a great lunch spot, as are many of the brewpubs, like Ninkasi.For breakfast in Bandon, Bandon Coffee Cafe. Lunch or dinner, Tony's Crab Shack and Edgewaters

• 2 months later...

So I'm now 3 weeks out from taking the pilgrimage to Bandon. What a whirlwind of a few months. I am grateful for being able to take the trip. Sticking with the same itinerary I last posted, but as a single will likely just go with the flow.

So excited that I'll be getting one of the first public glimpses at Sheep Ranch. The combo of the bunkerless fairways/greens + views + wind hit trees look unbelievable. Will be sure to take pics and write review.

Every part of my game is trending in the right direction, so now all I have to do is stay the course and count the days.

You guys have covered plenty. I’d suggest you book a massage at bandon, after all that playing driving and flying, it pays for itself. (Love that math, right?)

as a single, you’ll have plenty of options as far as playing, so don’t rush it. Sit on those benches, soak it in and enjoy while sipping something out of a flask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best f-ing week of my life. Waking up in Eugene on Saturday morning, I got nervous, b/c I got the feeling that I had overhyped the trip. But this place has shattered every expectation.

I'll write a full report on the plane ride home, but did want to shoot a quick review of my experience on Sheep Ranch:

Woke up to an absolutely beautiful day - 58 degrees, partly cloudy, and 2-5 mph of wind. Had 9:20AM at SR, so hit balls at the range (there is a nice range at SR, w/ new TaylorMade range balls), grabbed a grapefruit & vodka, and headed to the tee (was paired with 3 others). After a questionable tee shoot and a gouge layup, I hit the most beautiful chip 8-iron down the hill, with the ocean as the back drop, that hit the slope left, skipped once, and trundle to 8 ft. Rolled in the putt and we were off.

Had by far my best round on SR. Shot even par (33-39) with an unfortunate double on the short and easy 17th.

So the verdict...

Despite the incredible vistas, beautifully framed fairways, and cool ghost trees, I feel like SR sits in a distant fourth to the PD, BT, and BD (in that order for me...I haven't played OM yet).

Notes

-Lacks in my opinion the strategy and intimacy of PD and BT especially. My initial thought was that it felt very much like a "resort course" although that may be too harsh or unfair given I've only played it once.

-Extremely fun. Short par fours, short par 3s with ocean back drops, and reachable par 5s

-Holes 4, 16, and 17 are as advertised. They are unbelievable.

-11 the par 5, that shoots through the pines and comes up the club house, was my favorite hole

-None of the greens out here are fast, but the greens at SR were rolling at maybe a 7 and they're still trying to get rid of heavy spreads of poa / crab grass in the fairways

-18 is by far the worst hole on the course, but as we know, you have to get back to the clubhouse somehow.

-Demand for tee times is crazy for this place. Old Mac really looks like it took a hit with # of rounds.

• Like 1

This trip altered my soul. Sitting here in my Portland hotel room, I am having trouble wrapping my head around what I just experienced. I can't believe a place like Bandon Dunes exists, but I am so grateful that it does...

Getting There

I flew from Charlotte to Portland (via Dallas) with American and luckily had no issues with flights or club transport. I arrived in Portland late night, but made the drive down to Eugene to setup camp. 

I woke up the next morning feeling oddly nervous about the new experience and the terrible looking weather forecast. I managed to get my sh*t together and made the beautiful drive down from Eugene to Bandon. The Oregon landscape is so crisp and clean.

I arrived in Bandon around 9:30 AM. It was raining pretty hard, but I made the decision to do 36. The BD pro shop set me up on Bandon Trails and Pacific Dunes, which I anticipated being my favorites. I hit the range for about 20 mins in the pouring rain (at this point, I was like f*ckkkk!) and then made the short drive up to Trails. As I stepped to the first tee, the rain stopped, the skies opened up, and the sun came through…

Day 1

Bandon Trails: Got off to a dream start on Trails hitting it to within 20 ft with long irons on 1, 2, and 3 and converted a birdie on 3. I was smiling ear to ear. Unfortunately got hit with rain storm on 16 with a merino wool sweater on (rookie mistake). Finished double, double, double for a 79 lol. Didn’t even have to see the other courses to know this one was going to be my favorite. The nuanced design, the serene walk, and minimalist feel just speak to me. Best set of par 5s I’ve ever played. 

Bandon Dunes: Got off to a sloppy start and then just made a bunch of pars to just break 80. The landscape at BD is incredible and the view at 16 is all world. Great, strategic course, but didn't click with me like BT or PD.

For dinner, had a Bandon Ale and pizza at Mckees. The ale was great, the pizza was not. 

Stayed in town at the Inn at Bandon. Clean and cheap, but won’t do again. There something calming about being settled at the resort.

Day 2

Ate breakfast at the Tufted Puffin. Breakfast sandwich and coffee were on point. Felt relaxed after checking in. 

Pacific Dunes: PD is like the Steph Curry of golf courses - it is nuanced, but will just take your breath away in flashes. Hit some great shots, but the strong two way miss I brought with me did not do well on the uncomfortable holes (i.e. 7, 14, 18). I finished with something in the low to mid 80s.

Loved the routing / flow of this course and the different looks that it gives you.

Bandon Trails: Was 6 over after 7, but got back to 3 over after 13 following a nice sandy birdie at 8, a near ace at 12, and beautiful bird at 13. Another soul crushing stumble in though with two doubles and a bogey. Another gorgeous, serene walk though.

For dinner, got a Bandon Ale and burger at McKees. Beer and burger were great.

Day 3

Ate breakfast at the Tufted Puffin. Breakfast sandwich and coffee hit the spot again. Legs and body were hurt up pretty bad. 

Sheep Ranch: As mentioned in my post above, had an extraordinary day weather wise. Played well and shot my best round of the year (72). The views at SR are extraordinary and the course is fun to play, but like BD, I left feeling that this one didn't quite stack up to BT and PD.

Pacific Dunes: Should have been 1 or 2 under after 3. Instead found myself at 3 over. Nearly recovered with looks of 10 feet or less at 4, 5, and 6 but hit the lip on all 3. Blundered at 7 and it was a struggle from there. Really hated that I didn’t have a good round here. Feel like if I was clicking on all cylinders I could have really scored. Legs were absolutely killing me after this round.

For dinner, got a glass of the Bandon Pinot Noir and brisket burger at McKees. Wine was good. Burger was great. Blackout sleep.

Day 4

Ate breakfast at the Tufted Puffin. Egg plate and coffee were on the money. 

Faced toughest day weather wise. To ease the pain in my legs and feet, began popping ibuprofen like tic-tacs and drinking vodka cocktails like water. 

Bandon Dunes: Decent start but struggled when the winds really picked up. 4 and 12 were so tough, even with my new found bunt driver shot lol. Shot something in the low 80s. Day was beautiful though and really enjoyed the solo walk.

Bandon Trails: I know, again lol. Wind was blowing 20+ on 1 and 2 and walked happily away with bogeys on both. Found my Sheep Ranch form and started hitting great shot after great shot. Unfortunatley never made any key putts and then doubled 14 and bogeyed 15, 16, and 18 (f*ckkkkk!). Like PD, I really wanted to drop a good score here. Nevertheless, enjoyed the walk and the challenge.

Canceled my round at SR for the next day and schedule 10:00 AM time at Preserve. My legs were shot and I was mentally drained. 

For dinner, got a Bandon Ale and the regular burger again. Both were good. 

Day 5

Woke up feeling pretty good, but mentally drained. Packed up, checked out, and ate breakfast.

Preserve: Sweet little course. Played my own captain’s choice and shot a nice little 5-under round. Loved the iddy, biddy shorty with the punch bowl green. Like all the other courses, enjoyed the walk.

Bought a valuables pouch from Trails, then went to the range to clean my clubs. Had lunch at PD (grilled cheese and seafood chowder). Cleaned up at the BD locker room and headed back to Portland.

Lasting Thoughts

10 rounds would be: 4 BT, 4 PD, 1 BD, and 1 SR 150+ holes in 4 days toting my own bagBrought my C-C+ game, but managed to get the ball around. Glad I had a great round at SR Lucked out big time with weather (especially SR day)The interconnectedness and scale of the resort...so cool!Great service at every cornerThe simple comfort of the rooms16 at BD at sunset, 9 at BT in the mist, 11 PD under dark clouds, and 6 SR in the sparkling sunLove that I still have Old Mac to playRegret not buying booze in town (tried but store was closed when I went). Spent wayyy to much money on course cocktails. Afraid to look at my credit card lolLeaving with great clarity on where I need to improve my game (and look forward to getting started)Feel like I’ll enjoy the second trip even moreAlready scheming as to how I can squeeze Bandon in next year following my trip to Australia / Tasmania

• Like 1

Good report and glad you had fun. I know the feeling about your day 3 round at Pacific. When I made my first trip many years ago, I was a 10 handicap and shot 80-85 at Bandon, Trails and Old Mac, and I barely broke 100 at Pacific.

Did you intentionally skip Old Mac even though your trip was a 4 x 36?

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

Great writeup!

PD can be maddening. There are a few approach shots that are mind-bendingly scary, but for the most part, it presents in a way that makes you feel like "I can SCORE here!"

Then you miss by just a bit and are struggling to salvage bogey... killer design.

Awesome review 'NippedWedge', I'm glad you got to experience the nirvana that is Bandon Dunes. Appreciated your take on SR as well, Agree with your ranking of courses too(besides fact that I haven't played SR). There is something magical about that stretch on that middle stretch of Trails. The layup or go up for it on 9, the serene feeling from 11-13 is unparalleled with anywhere I've yet to play. Cheers!