2020 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

You have got to be kidding. That’s who the mods sided with over Brian? Mr did you know I’m over 70-still flush the two iron-cigar smoking-club board member-sob that owns a business and am better than you? Geesh.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I think this all went down on the "Would you rather..." thread in the main Courses, Memberships, Travel forum, last post 7/24. Brian was going back and forth with Pepperturbo and NotromJRH, I don't think Brian said anything unreasonable in his posts. Looks like NotromJRH is now banned, and his post in that thread appears to be gone except where Brian quoted it in his own reply, so I wouldn't say for sure that this is necessarily Pepperturbo's fault, since Pepperturbo seems to be still active as a member and his posts weren't removed from that thread. Might actually be NotromJRH who caused this BS. I don't know this for certain but the evidence points that way. Pepperturbo is still full of himself regardless. I never met Brian but enjoyed reading his perspective on the higher end private courses in our area.

Aaaaaaand to bring this post back on topic for the thread, I played Cave Creek this morning. Greens were smooth but slow. #9 green condition has really improved from a month or two ago. Not much roll in the fairways, they were a little saturated as were the front green aprons. which can be expected this time of year. Rough was good. Pace was oddly good for a Saturday morning there, played as a foursome in 3.5 hours. Had everyone who was playing 18 holes start on #10 for whatever reason.

• Like 1

I would never "report" or turn someone in on a golf forum. I got banned because I called out some of the mods, and they didn't like it. Plus I had a different UN, and they didn't like that either. About 5 min after I wrote the comment on THIS thread explain which thread was in question for them.I was actually trying to get those two to chill out because it was silly in the other thread. A nonsense hypothetical thread, and both those guys seem to have a bit of an ego issue and like to be argumentative for no reason. What I wrote was sarcasm 100%. Was basically saying they wrote these big long responses that probably took longer than the " hypothetical 45 min" in the thread. But this will soon be gone also. LOL. But rest assured i'm the last person to report someone for something really stupid on a GOLF forum, like its something important.... give me a break.

That single post was the only post I made on that thread directed at both of them, and the forum in general so, the evidence you speak of is a single sarcastic comment made at both basically saying chill out, if you call one comment made to both, a "back and forth" then so be it. Who ever the other guy who's in question i'm 100% sure is the person who caused the issue, i dont even care enough to learn how to report someone. let alone actually do it.

Im already almost banned but it’s nice to see pepper still up to old antics. All these people have too much money anyways lol

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Rode Quintero on Friday afternoon. 2 ball in about 4 hours. There were some foursomes ahead of us. We played the copper/jade combo about 5400 yds. Tough course I’ve always just played up a tee or 2 there so I can hit hybrid off some tees if needed..

Beautiful course but as architecture fan it’s not great. Paid about $55 each.

Starter and ranger were very friendly

Tees were in good shape.

Fairways were slightly brown & firm!

Green surrounds were very tightly mown! Leaving lots of options. Golf as its meant to be.

Bunkers were nice. I don’t miss the rakes. I don’t think think they should be perfect. They’re a hazard.

greens rolled excellent and were medium fast. I couldn’t ask for them to be any better in the az summer heat.

prepaid so didn’t have to go in the clubhouse

I recommend Quintero right now. It was my first time playing there in 2 years.

Lookout Mountain early this morning. Greens were in great condition and deceptively fast. Whoever played late yesterday didn't fix a bunch of their ballmarks, though. Numerous fairways have small bare spot issues, not as good of condition as they were a few weeks ago. At least they were not over-saturated and you could get some roll. Bunkers and tees were fine. Solo rider carts still allowed. Staff was great as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Wigwam Gold on Sunday.....Tees and Fairways were ok but green were rough....very slow and bumpy.  Literally had to play a 25 foot uphill put like a 50 footer...by far the worst greens I have played this year

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Anyone have an update at either Troon North course or either Grayhawk course? Heading to Scottsdale for Labor Day weekend from Louisiana.

Right now we're scheduled to play both Troon courses and Talon at Grayhawk.  I'd like to move to Raptor if it's in quality shape again.  Any and all information/advice on what courses we should play is appreciated.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, icegator337 said:

Anyone have an update at either Troon North course or either Grayhawk course? Heading to Scottsdale for Labor Day weekend from Louisiana.

Right now we're scheduled to play both Troon courses and Talon at Grayhawk.  I'd like to move to Raptor if it's in quality shape again.  Any and all information/advice on what courses we should play is appreciated.

Men and woman  AZ Stroke play was held at Raptor last week sure its fine now

• Like 1

I played Grayhawk Talon last Sunday 8-16-20. It was the best conditioned course I'd played all summer.  TPC Champions was a close second. That list includes both WeKoPa, Whirlwind, Ocotillo, Longbow, Dinosaur Mtn. and Trilogy. This is my first summer in the Valley, so I'm not sure how this summer transition works. Courses were better in August than June. Cheers!
Edited by AZ_JHWK
Font issue
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 8:38 AM, icegator337 said:

Played in the AZ Stroke Play Championship at Grayhawk Raptor a couple weeks ago. In great shape. Conditions were tough. A +5 handicapper shot 91 on the 1st day.

I think Pinnacle Course at Troon North just opened this week. Playing it on Wed. will let you know. Should be interesting...last month when I saw #18 the entire fairway leading up to the green was dead, was basically dirt. 

20 hours ago, El_Nino_AZ said:

Played in the AZ Stroke Play Championship at Grayhawk Raptor a couple weeks ago. In great shape. Conditions were tough. A +5 handicapper shot 91 on the 1st day.

I think Pinnacle Course at Troon North just opened this week. Playing it on Wed. will let you know. Should be interesting...last month when I saw #18 the entire fairway leading up to the green was dead, was basically dirt. 

Played Monument 2 weeks ago. 18 fairway was pretty much filled in, you could see a few bare spots but it didn’t look too bad. 

Played Southern Dunes today and it's probably in the best shape Ive seen it in a very very long time. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Troon North Pinnacle on Wed morning. Played in about 4.5 hours. Front 9 was 2:20...pretty ridiculous. Had to wait on every single shot. Caught the group in front of us on the tee box probably half a dozen times. Had 4 groups on the par 5's. We couldn't have been more than the 5th or 6th group off in the morning. Cart was flashing messages that we were behind pace and still never saw a marshal. Course was in decent shape. 2 holes were CPO and those fairways had quite a few beat up spots. They are over watering in the morning. Had a couple bad mud balls and roll out was non-existent. They compensated by moving a lot of the tee markers up one, sometimes two tee boxes forward. Pretty dumb. Was in one bunker and I may as well have been hitting it off the cart path. Wet, compacted "sand" with nothing underneath it. The greens were the only highlight. They were rolling smooth and receptive. Large craters for pitch marks when you hit the green. The worst overall experience I've had at Troon North. They have some balls to still be charging over $100 at this time of year.  

Played Boulders North. Great shape id just saynit was overly soft. After hole 2 I went into the desert looking for a hard ball and found a Bridgestone e12 speed so I wouldn't rip balls back 10 feet. I could see right away a prov1 was going to be an issue hitting into this soft of greens. That being said greens rolled true and were great shape especially this time of year. Played in 4:15.  I don’t get the hate for the course as it reminds me alot of Troon and are very comparable in my opinion. Maybe the South Course is different. What is weird though is in the fringe a ton of crabgrass in a 24 ring around the green.

Edited by MUNIGRIT