2020 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

3 hours ago, sdemo said:

Thank you! Based on that feedback, leaning heavily toward Southern Dunes. Quintero pricing is always a bit... proud... and don't really want to deal with searching for balls + longer round due to rough. 

If SD-they have a "stimulus pkg" - $10 coupon for Shop I bought a logo Titleist hat - $15 after coupon), plus that coupon enters you in a draw for a putter; plus a free appetizer for $59 I believe. Not sure when it ends.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, sdemo said:

Thank you! Based on that feedback, leaning heavily toward Southern Dunes. Quintero pricing is always a bit... proud... and don't really want to deal with searching for balls + longer round due to rough. 

Quintero's pricing is way too proud for my liking and I think it's overrated, especially for the price. Wickenburg Ranch beats it hands down and it's only about 30 minutes from WR and well worth it. Los Cab isn't a bad track either in Wickenburg.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

On 9/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

If SD-they have a "stimulus pkg" - $10 coupon for Shop I bought a logo Titleist hat - $15 after coupon), plus that coupon enters you in a draw for a putter; plus a free appetizer for $59 I believe. Not sure when it ends.

12 hours ago, YMark said:

Quintero's pricing is way too proud for my liking and I think it's overrated, especially for the price. Wickenburg Ranch beats it hands down and it's only about 30 minutes from WR and well worth it. Los Cab isn't a bad track either in Wickenburg.

Thanks guys! We ended up at Grayhawk (I know... such a bummer :p). Even booking 5+ days out, Quintero and Southern Dunes were both booked through 11am. I / we are in uptown Phoenix and didn't want to drive all the way out to Wick. Grayhawk Talon fit the bill, and was very well conditioned.

The only problem we had - as a 3some - was getting paired with a single 4th who was already drunk on the first tee, and could barely stand upright by 13. Fortunately, that's as far as he got before he called it a day, and, hopefully, ordered an Uber to get himself home. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played Eagle Mt yesterday. First time out there in years, course is in great shape. A few wet spots in the fairways. Greens were quick yet receptive. Just a fun/enjoyable layout to play. It will probably be another few years before I play it again though. If I’m making the drive from North Peoria it’s to play We-Ko-Pa. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I'm going to be down in the Phoenix area the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Any advice for getting out and playing would be great - never played any courses in the area.

-Thanks, Todd

Most courses should be recovered from overseeding by then, so that is good. It all depends on budget, location, and if you have any connections to private courses. Can you provide more information on these? 

I'll only have one day to play (Sunday, 11/29) and don't care about budget - currently playing to a 7 and usually like to play from ~6,800 yards or so.  Unfortunately I don't have any connections to private courses but I have friends that do.  So don't let that hinder any recommendations as I might be able to work some magic.

8 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I'll only have one day to play (Sunday, 11/29) and don't care about budget - currently playing to a 7 and usually like to play from ~6,800 yards or so.  Unfortunately I don't have any connections to private courses but I have friends that do.  So don't let that hinder any recommendations as I might be able to work some magic.

If I had one round, I would pick We Ko Pa Saguaro. Runner ups would be We Ko Pa Cholla, Grayhawk Raptor, and Troon North Pinnacle. They will give you the best overall experience and course quality. As a course, Tpc Stadium is a little underwhelming, but lots of fun to play a course on tv. Privates really depend on what you have access to. 

12 hours ago, digger71 said:

Anyone play Southern Dunes recently?  Have a time Saturday but looking for an update before heading down.  Thanks

It is a great shape but drying out because they close Sunday. It is the shape it should always be in - firm and dry.  

Just had mini tour last week.  I've played 3 time since and love its condition.

No clue who you are, so if you are expecting lush green conditions with all the kitch, then it won't suit.  If you are expecting the course to play as it should, then enjoy.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 2

Southern Dunes today. Dried out and very good. 

One heads up....golf wise there was little to no Covid precautions being taken.  Hardly any mask use by staff/starter. They forced strangers to pair up on a cart (there was an awkward plastic sheet hung in the cart). It, especially the cart thing, was a pretty stark contrast to every single other course I’ve play since March. Even the cheapest Munis (Kenny Mac) don’t make you to pair up.  The only other course I’ve seen do this is Desert Canyon which charges extra if

you want your own cart but it’s all

over their website. Nothing was mentioned on their website (before driving to

BFE Maricopa).  It was a little disappointing.  

• Like 1

Played Elephant Rocks in Williams for the first time.  I really enjoyed it and had a good time.  A mix of different holes throughout.  Altitude distance is great. 🙂  Greens were fast and held shots well.  

Side Note: New brewery Lazy G in Prescott has great beer and excellent food...stopped there on the way back.  Great new brewery to the area.

Edited by puttnforthe8

Antelope Hills South Course, other than a few wet spots and bunkers being a little rough the course was in good shape. Greens were soooo good. I’ve played the north course a dozen or so times, not sure why I waited to play the south course until this weekend. Such a fun track. 

On a side note my buddy played another 18 in the afternoon at Prescott Country Club, now Prescott Golf Club. Now under the Troon umbrella, he said the course was in the best shape he had ever seen it and that the greens were amazing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Antelope Hills South Course, other than a few wet spots and bunkers being a little rough the course was in good shape. Greens were soooo good. I’ve played the north course a dozen or so times, not sure why I waited to play the south course until this weekend. Such a fun track. 

On a side note my buddy played another 18 in the afternoon at Prescott Country Club, now Prescott Golf Club. Now under the Troon umbrella, he said the course was in the best shape he had ever seen it and that the greens were amazing. 

I passed there Sat and Sun, and the courses were packed on my trip.  How was POP?   

2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I passed there Sat and Sun, and the courses were packed on my trip.  How was POP?   

Tee'd off at 830, finished at 1220, played as a five some and we were on the group in front of us the entire time. Don't hate on the fivesome...... 😉 We had a group of 9 after a couple guys couldn't make it so we were grouped as 2/3/4. The first 2 groups joined up on hole 2 and no one said a thing. 

• Like 1

Does anyone how long it takes AZ courses to get back to *good* playing shape after overseeing?

For context, I'm thinking of playing Southern Dunes around 3-4 days after it reopens post-reseed. Should I expect something that's soggy and lush (not what I want) or semi-firm and good shape?

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

1 hour ago, alexdub said:

Does anyone how long it takes AZ courses to get back to *good* playing shape after overseeing?

For context, I'm thinking of playing Southern Dunes around 3-4 days after it reopens post-reseed. Should I expect something that's soggy and lush (not what I want) or semi-firm and good shape?

Terrible time to play it.  It will be slow, probably pretty wet (although SD drains decently), shaggy and substandard.  

IMO, it will take at least until Thanksgiving for SD to be real good again.  But that is just me...I usually say 6 weeks after overseed.  Others may be fine with it sooner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Terrible time to play it.  It will be slow, probably pretty wet (although SD drains decently), shaggy and substandard.  

IMO, it will take at least until Thanksgiving for SD to be real good again.  But that is just me...I usually say 6 weeks after overseed.  Others may be fine with it sooner.

I agree. 6 weeks to be safe, but if not familiar with course, 3-4 weeks. Certainly more than 3-4 days. 

• Like 1

I played Lakes West in Sun City yesterday afternoon. $25 with cart. One of the few courses left in the NW valley that hasn't closed for overseeding yet; they close next week. Greens were fast and firm, fairways weren't giving as great of roll as I expected, still a little soggy in spots as it seems they have not yet dialed back the watering. The sand in the bunkers is good, but no rakes, so lots of bad lies in footprints.

Flew through the first 6-7 holes, then caught several twosomes behind a wall of foursomes ahead, still finished in 3 hours, nobody behind me so I went back and played a few holes over instead of sitting and waiting and actually got about 23 holes in. 

• Like 1

Coyote Lakes today, hard to find an open course that doesn't break the bank, $44 today mid morning. 

Stay away, just a complete poop show. They said they overseeded, it took to a few holes, rest of the course looks like the seed didn't take at all, it's going to be a rough winter for them. 

It's been a few years since I've played here, will probably be a few more. 

It's good for a mid summer $15 dollar round when you can fly around, that's about it. 

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Coyote Lakes today, hard to find an open course that doesn't break the bank, $44 today mid morning. 

Stay away, just a complete poop show. They said they overseeded, it took to a few holes, rest of the course looks like the seed didn't take at all, it's going to be a rough winter for them. 

It's been a few years since I've played here, will probably be a few more. 

It's good for a mid summer $15 dollar round when you can fly around, that's about it. 

With the record heat in October, it will be interesting whether more courses have this problem with overseed. If your timing is off by a couple weeks, it can be really bad. Reminds me of mountain shadows a few years back when the greens didn’t come

in because the overseed was early. 

1 hour ago, azgolfer44 said:

With the record heat in October, it will be interesting whether more courses have this problem with overseed. If your timing is off by a couple weeks, it can be really bad. Reminds me of mountain shadows a few years back when the greens didn’t come

in because the overseed was early. 

Vistancia has had the problem a couple times in the last few years. I just don’t get why they insist on a calendar date as opposed to actually waiting for the weather to be ideal. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Vistancia has had the problem a couple times in the last few years. I just don’t get why they insist on a calendar date as opposed to actually waiting for the weather to be ideal. 

Probably because they schedule events pretty much right after overseed. A lot of people just want to see green grass.

Played Palm Valley yesterday. The West and North courses. West was getting prepped for overseed but it was in good shape in that regard. North course just opened from overseed and was cart path only. Was in really good shape. I'd definitely go back. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

On 10/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, AzSuperHack76 said:

... I just don’t get why they insist on a calendar date as opposed to actually waiting for the weather to be ideal. 

That would be perfect agronomy-wise but not very practical from a business standpoint.   The overseed definitely can be an expensive crapshoot.