2020 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

I finished my first full week at Encanto 18. First week in months that I walked five rounds, and the flat course was an easy way to finish the week. Conditions were fine. A little bare in spots, but overall quite playable. Bunkers had actual sand, but needed grooming. Greens looked very nice, but again the speed was 8 to 9 at best. Pace was a nice surprise at 3:40. 

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a slice. Great weather. Ton of golf. A few dogs, but for the most part it was more than acceptable. Given that I was budget minded, I didn't expect top end courses. I have to be honest, you

I played Verde today and didn’t think it was stay away. The greens were a bit slow and sandy but were rolling OK overall. The fairways had some minor burning and played pretty wet but it was green a

It's a great place to catch Covid. No one at the course (proshop, or in the restaurant) wears masks. Never seen anywhere like it. No barriers, restaurant packed with people elbow to elbow. Course was

Posted Images

On 10/25/2020 at 7:18 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Talking Stick North (oodham) today...

Groups not playing from the correct tees.  Group in front of us was a young kid, his quite old grandfather, another guy and his wife.  The 3 guys got up on the first hole, which is only about 370, on the Black tees (7133 with wind blowing) and all proceeded to not make it to the ladies tees (about 190 drives) and then hit short of the green.  We asked them if they ever played the course, let them know it was almost 7200 yds especially with the wind and suggested they move up to the golds.  They kind of scoffed and kept on the blacks.  Finally, I think they realized it on #4 because none made it to the fairway and they finally moved up.  But I watched group upon group on other holes playing black tees and hitting the ball max 220.  I am guessing this caused the backups. 

Something that is often overlooked, that course is Par 70 so it plays LONG. 

• Like 1

Cave Creek again today. No real change in conditions. Still getting a lot of mudballs in the fairways. Greens rolling 8 to 9. Hopefully they'll speed up soon. 

Took a nasty tumble walking from the 17th tee to the green. Always love when a course lets a sprinkler head sink 6 inches into the ground, and then mows the grass level over it. How about buying a weed wacker? FFS. Could have ended my season real quick, but wound up with a swollen ankle, a muddy pair of shorts, and mud on my driver headcover. 

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Cave Creek again today. No real change in conditions. Still getting a lot of mudballs in the fairways. Greens rolling 8 to 9. Hopefully they'll speed up soon. 

Took a nasty tumble walking from the 17th tee to the green. Always love when a course lets a sprinkler head sink 6 inches into the ground, and then mows the grass level over it. How about buying a weed wacker? FFS. Could have ended my season real quick, but wound up with a swollen ankle, a muddy pair of shorts, and mud on my driver headcover. 

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I rolled my pushcart's front wheel into a similar hole on #8 a few years ago and flipped the whole thing over with clubs spilling out on the ground. 

• Sad 1

A pleasant morning at Union Hills yesterday. With the mature trees, and some mounding, it's one of the better courses in the Sun City area, especially for $35. It could use a little more variety in the length of the par 4s, though. Conditions were decent, but there are still a lot of mudballs. Bunkers were fine. The greens were quite shaggy, and only rolling 7 to 8. Long lag putts were nearly impossible to get to the hole. Pace was excellent at 3:35. Highlight Fridayof the day was simply finishing a round without falling on my a--. Lol.

First visit to Sun City CC today. I'm stepping it up the rest of the week with Talking Stick North tomorrow, and TPC Champions on Friday.

Pleasant morning at Sun City CC. Built in 1966, it's probably one of the oldest in the SC area I assume. Like Union Hills, it has plenty of mature trees. However, it doesn't have anywhere near as much mounding, and the greens are smaller and less undulating. It does have a few short par 4s that mix it up a little better. Par 3s were decent. Not much in the way of fairway bunkering. Now that I think of it, not sure if there are any. 

Conditions were OK. Fairways weren't quite as lush as the other courses I've played in the past week. I had a few fairly tight lies. Bunkers were very good. Greens looked fine, and were a little faster at 8 to 9. Pace was excellent. I went off as a single and played about as slow as I can play. I figured I'd run into the earliest groups by the turn, but I didn't hit anyone until the 14th, and it was clear sailing after I played through. 2:50 was quite enjoyable. 

Not a bad course, but for $14 cheaper I'd go with Union Hills for an inexpensive round in Sun City. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Pleasant morning at Sun City CC. Built in 1966, it's probably one of the oldest in the SC area I assume. Like Union Hills, it has plenty of mature trees. However, it doesn't have anywhere near as much mounding, and the greens are smaller and less undulating. It does have a few short par 4s that mix it up a little better. Par 3s were decent. Not much in the way of fairway bunkering. Now that I think of it, not sure if there are any. 

Conditions were OK. Fairways weren't quite as lush as the other courses I've played in the past week. I had a few fairly tight lies. Bunkers were very good. Greens looked fine, and were a little faster at 8 to 9. Pace was excellent. I went off as a single and played about as slow as I can play. I figured I'd run into the earliest groups by the turn, but I didn't hit anyone until the 14th, and it was clear sailing after I played through. 2:50 was quite enjoyable. 

Not a bad course, but for $14 cheaper I'd go with Union Hills for an inexpensive round in Sun City. 

I've played SCCC a few times in the past month and enjoy the treed, easy to walk layout; I actually bought their 10-round discount punch card. I agree that the fairway overseed is pretty thin in spots particularly on the back nine, especially compared to how lush the rough is throughout the property. It's almost like the rye didn't completely cover the dormant bermuda or something. Pueblo El Mirage usually does a weird overseed job that looks like a more extreme version of this, like they only use half the normal seed amount or something so it's a half-rye half-dormant bermuda mix.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

Talking Stick O'odham this morning. 'Nice course to walk. Conditions were excellent. A few thin spots in the fairways, but nothing serious. Greens looked great, and had some relatively good speed. I'd say 9 to 10. Bunkers were fine. Pace was solid at 3:50. 'Probably could have finished 10 to 15 minutes earlier, but two guys in my foursome were struggling a bit playing from the gold tees. They really needed to move up one.

This weather is just about perfect. TPC Scottsdale Champions today. The course looked great, but lord they've overwatered the heck out of the fairways. I was getting zero rollout. I was walking, and most of the low areas would bring water to the surface with each step, or my foot would sink into the turf. A handful of the holes were cart path only for the riders. Bunkers were amazing. Greens were also fantastic, rolling ~10. Our group got stuck behind the slow group on the front, as they fell a hole behind. Luckily they let us play through on #10, and we didn't see them the rest of the round, finishing in 4:10.

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

This weather is just about perfect. TPC Scottsdale Champions today. The course looked great, but lord they've overwatered the heck out of the fairways. I was getting zero rollout. I was walking, and most of the low areas would bring water to the surface with each step, or my foot would sink into the turf. A handful of the holes were cart path only for the riders. Bunkers were amazing. Greens were also fantastic, rolling ~10. Our group got stuck behind the slow group on the front, as they fell a hole behind. Luckily they let us play through on #10, and we didn't see them the rest of the round, finishing in 4:10.

The fairways are like that there when I play during summer weekly as one of the first groups off. Easily the heaviest pre-dawn watering job of any course I play. Zero to minimal rollout, course probably plays effectively 600+ yards longer than what's on the card. Greens firm but land the ball 3 feet short of the edge and it will stop dead. Makes it ridiculously humid/steamy on the course early in the morning too. I love the layout but I don't think I've ever experienced fast and firm conditions on that course regardless of time of year. 

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

The fairways are like that there when I play during summer weekly as one of the first groups off. Easily the heaviest pre-dawn watering job of any course I play. Zero to minimal rollout, course probably plays effectively 600+ yards longer than what's on the card. Greens firm but land the ball 3 feet short of the edge and it will stop dead. Makes it ridiculously humid/steamy on the course early in the morning too. I love the layout but I don't think I've ever experienced fast and firm conditions on that course regardless of time of year. 

Funny that you mentioned humidity. I was sweating early this morning, which is a first on this trip. Definitely a ton of moisture in the air due to the watering. 

My group had tons of balls come up short of the green. The grass is like velcro. 

Kenny Mac early this morning. It was one of the last courses in the area to overseed this fall, so it was a bit wet with lots of mudballs, but drives were still rolling. The rye came in pretty nicely in general. Greens were quicker than I expected for this soon out of overseed. Lots of unfixed ballmarks though. Finished in 3:40 as a foursome and had a great time with some nice randos.

• Like 1

Papago was in good shape yesterday.  It is about a month out from overseed.  Fairways are still a bit long, but greens have definitely picked up in speed.  I really like how they trimmed the trees surrounding the 4 green and 12 tee.  Gives the course a different look and should help the grass grow better in those areas.  

With its increase in popularity, it will be interesting to see how difficult it is to get times at Papago this winter.  

I echo the comments on Papago...played there yesterday as well.  Greens rolling well but fairways definitely long as are some tee boxes.  Seemed like the back 9 fairways were more wet and longer than the front.  I was only in 1 but the bunkers seemed pretty good as well.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

Grand Canyon University this morning. I would really like to see their water bill. Someone must have forgot to shut off the sprinklers, because the fairways were saturated on the front nine. The low area on the short par 4 4th was a mud pit. Things were a little drier on the back. Greens were still rolling 8 to 9. 

Pebblebrook in SCW yesterday. Course is in great shape. Must be new sand in the bunkers because they were in great shape. Fairways and greens were in excellent shape. Greens a little slow but should be speeding up soon. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Ping Vault Anser 2 – KBS CT Tour 

Just now, FlashNoonan said:

Pebblebrook in SCW yesterday. Course is in great shape. Must be new sand in the bunkers because they were in great shape. Fairways and greens were in excellent shape. Greens a little slow but should be speeding up soon. 

Ahh, one of my favorites out that way. I heard they were supposed to "fix" the area behind #18 green this fall. As it was before, any shot hitting the back half of the green unless in wet conditions was likely to roll off the back, down a slope of short grass, and into the pond. What's it like now, did they put up a retaining wall or something?  I drove by a few months ago and it was all tore up but I couldn't tell what the end result was going to look like.

I don’t think I’ve played anywhere other than viewpoint post overseed. Mowers come down again this weekend and it should be good. Again, not a must play, but maybe one of the funnest courses to just play golf. No Canadians this year means you can actually get a tee time. 

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set @ 19* evenflow 6.5

Mizuno MP 67 3&4, mp33 5-pw TI X100

scratch  54 & 60
Cleveland TA milled 1i

2 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Ahh, one of my favorites out that way. I heard they were supposed to "fix" the area behind #18 green this fall. As it was before, any shot hitting the back half of the green unless in wet conditions was likely to roll off the back, down a slope of short grass, and into the pond. What's it like now, did they put up a retaining wall or something?  I drove by a few months ago and it was all tore up but I couldn't tell what the end result was going to look like.

You know, honestly I didn't pay attention. The pin was in the back of 18 yesterday and I did land my ball within 5 feet of the back edge and it held. I didn't realize they were working on the area of the 18 green. I'll try to pay attention to it next time I'm out there. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Ping Vault Anser 2 – KBS CT Tour 

Nice morning at Cave Creek. Conditions were fine. A little more rollout on the drives. Greens were rolling about 9. Bunkers were nice. I walked with three other walkers, and we finished in 3:40. Sweet. 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:57 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Aguila was playing great...but different than I am used to in that the greens had lots of check up.  You could fire at the pins and they would stick.  

Played it last Sunday (11/22).  The gentleman I played with plays there weekly and mentioned it was playing "long".  I definitely get where he was coming from.  Greens were fairly fast but really soft.  5/6 irons sticking soft.  Not sure I've ever played it in that condition before.

Definitely got less roll-out on the fairways too, when I bothered to put my ball on one anyway. 

A little off the beaten path today. I took my great niece out to Paradise Valley GC for her first round ever. 'Not a good course by any measure, but we had a great time nonetheless. Conditions were meh, but it's PV. 

• Like 1