2020 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

Just to reiterate, reinforce and regurgitate, Ocotillo is an absolute dump, tee to green.  What an utter mess across the board, including in the shop, in the restaurant and general service.  Oh...and of course, you have to pay for golf balls after you pay for your severely overpriced round.

We paid nothing for the round because of using a certificate and were still disappointed.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been a slice. Great weather. Ton of golf. A few dogs, but for the most part it was more than acceptable. Given that I was budget minded, I didn't expect top end courses. I have to be honest, you

I played Verde today and didn’t think it was stay away. The greens were a bit slow and sandy but were rolling OK overall. The fairways had some minor burning and played pretty wet but it was green a

It's a great place to catch Covid. No one at the course (proshop, or in the restaurant) wears masks. Never seen anywhere like it. No barriers, restaurant packed with people elbow to elbow. Course was

Posted Images

Speaking of dumps, I wasted a few dollars playing Pueblo El Mirage this morning. Ugh. Conditions are pretty bad. They didn't overseed, so the fairways are a nice mix of dormant Bermuda, somewhat green Bermuda, hardpan, and mud. There was standing water in many places. I assume it's from over watering. Bunkers were dirt. Greens looked mediocre, but they did have a decent pace at ~10. 

Pace was the only saving grace. There was an hour frost delay, and our group was the fourth out, right behind the men's league. They set a great pace, and we finished in 3:30. 

'Still looking for an inexpensive course for my Friday rounds. Looks like I'll stick with Palmbrook, or double up on Cave Creek. 

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Southern dunes is Near perfect right now.  It's hard to say at $90 is a bargain but when you look at what some of these courses are charging right now I think its a no brainer.  

My only issue was that the bunkers were pretty inconsistent.  Some had a lot of fluffy sand and then some were just a thin layer over hard pan.  Tough to blame them though, I'd imagine with COVID the bunkers would be the first thing to go.

• Like 1

Ping G410 
Cobra F8+ 13* 3 wood with HZRDUS Black
Ping G400 5 Wood
Ping S55 4-PW
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

I played Vistancia yesterday. Took a chance on a late twilight round and finished right at sundown. The course was in surprisingly great shape. I've stayed away for a few years because I never heard good things. Something obviously has changed. The fairways were nice and lush, even the rough. Greens were in great shape, had nice speed and rolled true. Most par 3 tee boxes were a little beat up though. No one seems to be filling their divots on the tee. I'll definitely make it back there again.

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Ping Vault Anser 2 – KBS CT Tour 

Papago this morning. Wonderful weather, and excellent conditions. The fairways seemed a little soft, so the course was playing on the long side. Bunkers were hit or miss. A couple had some nice, wet sand, but a few were quite thin. The greens were incredibly fast. They had to be rolling at least 11. I had a few putts than I barely got moving and they rolled 10+ feet past. I love fast greens, but it's going to take a few rounds to adjust. Pace was fine at 3:50. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Cave Creek this morning. 'Getting a little tired of the over watering. A few mudballs, and way too many fat shots hit off of soggy lies. No chance of landing a ball short of the green and hopping it up on the front pins. Greens were fine. They looked great, and were rolling 10 or so. I know that the course has poor drainage, but I don't understand why they have to water they have to put so much on the course. A little brown is not going to hurt. Pace was decent at 4 hours. 

23 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Cave Creek this morning. 'Getting a little tired of the over watering. A few mudballs, and way too many fat shots hit off of soggy lies. No chance of landing a ball short of the green and hopping it up on the front pins. Greens were fine. They looked great, and were rolling 10 or so. I know that the course has poor drainage, but I don't understand why they have to water they have to put so much on the course. A little brown is not going to hurt. Pace was decent at 4 hours. 

Are you following me? lol. I played Papago yesterday and Cave Creek today. CC was definitely really wet early today (I was in the first few groups off), none of us were getting any roll and the ball just didn't seem to go anywhere. Had a few pitch shots that I would normally land on the fringe and let them roll on to tight hole locations at CC, today they just died on the fringe. Got caught on the bogey train and played one of my worst rounds in the past 30 or so.

Papago wasn't as wet yesterday and still had some firmness to most areas in my opinion, but they were watering a bunch of fairways when I pulled into the parking lot at daybreak. And yes, those greens sure are fast there now. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Are you following me? lol. I played Papago yesterday and Cave Creek today. CC was definitely really wet early today (I was in the first few groups off), none of us were getting any roll and the ball just didn't seem to go anywhere. Had a few pitch shots that I would normally land on the fringe and let them roll on to tight hole locations at CC, today they just died on the fringe. Got caught on the bogey train and played one of my worst rounds in the past 30 or so.

Papago wasn't as wet yesterday and still had some firmness to most areas in my opinion, but they were watering a bunch of fairways when I pulled into the parking lot at daybreak. And yes, those greens sure are fast there now. 

Lol. I'm assuming you were two or three groups ahead of me. I teed off at 8:06, behind a group of four young guys from out of town who were riding.

Corta Bella tomorrow morning. 'Got a decent $57 rate from GolfNow.

Edited by Argonne69

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Anyone know that the resident walking rate at TPC Champions is right now?

I paid $75 back in mid-November. 

A rather unpleasant morning at Corta Bella. After a 35 minute frost delay, I went out as a (walking) single with three "players". Ever have one of those rounds where the others are so bad that you simply can't get into any rhythm? For starters they sailed more balls out of bounds than found the fairway. I kid not. Corta Bella is about as wide a course as you get, but they're swings were so bad that it felt like a shooting range. If the balls weren't OB they were lost in the desert. We had a slow group in front of us, and a fast threesome behind us, so of course it was up to me to rush to keep us in position even though we really had nowhere to go. Ugh. Conditions were a mixed bag. Fairways were generally OK with a number of wet and/or bare patches. The 18th fairway was in awful shape, as the overseed didn't seem to take. Bunkers were hit or miss. I saw grass growing in one. Greens were excellent, and rolling ~10. Thanks to me we managed to finish in 4 hours.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

A rather unpleasant morning at Corta Bella. After a 35 minute frost delay, I went out as a (walking) single with three "players". Ever have one of those rounds where the others are so bad that you simply can't get into any rhythm? For starters they sailed more balls out of bounds than found the fairway. I kid not. Corta Bella is about as wide a course as you get, but they're swings were so bad that it felt like a shooting range. If the balls weren't OB they were lost in the desert. We had a slow group in front of us, and a fast threesome behind us, so of course it was up to me to rush to keep us in position even though we really had nowhere to go. Ugh. 

I've found that the GolfNow hotdeals (which I believe you said this was) tend to attract a lot of these clueless and/or beginner types, part of the reason I avoid GN completely now. Some of the worst pairings I've ever had came from GN hotdeals a few years ago.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

Golf Now blows, at least in the Phoenix area. You can bet there are cheaper prices, most of the time directly from the course.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - TTitleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360
32 minutes ago, YMark said:

Golf Now blows, at least in the Phoenix area. You can bet there are cheaper prices, most of the time directly from the course.

I use GN to browse for openings across multiple courses. I never book a round with GN without first checking the local course's website. It's usually best to book directly with the course, but there are times that GN does have a better price.

32 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I use GN to browse for openings across multiple courses. I never book a round with GN without first checking the local course's website. It's usually best to book directly with the course, but there are times that GN does have a better price.

The worst is when a course has their tee sheet on their own website on the GN platform and you have to pay GN $2.49 to book a tee time on it. You have to be careful because at some courses I've tried booking over the phone to avoid the $2.49, only to be charged a rate at check-in that was higher than the online rate + the GN $2.49. There are a few courses around Phoenix that are guilty of this. I remember Palmbrook screwed me on this once back in like 2018 though the blame is partly on me for not verifying on the phone whether the rate would be different than what was on the website.

• Sad 1

Played Vistancia today and it was outstanding...excellent shape every part of the course.  The only bad part, and not that bad is the 'ring' around the bunkers of the dormant grass....if you happen to not go in the bunker and not stay in the green stuff, it is a brutal shot.  The greens are absolutely pure....my word, You hit your spot and it is not going to move off the line.

There was a deal for ~$60 a round....this time of year that is great value.

I have always loved Vistancia....today reinforced it condition wise, but also layout wise...there are no holes alike...so you are hitting every imaginable shot...and this is why I liked it from the start and it was backed up today.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cold morning at Aguila today. There was about a 20 minute frost delay. The course was playing really nice, firm and fast. No wet spots at all. Quite different than the soggy way Cave Creek has been playing recently. Did have a bunch of unfixed ball marks on most greens so I took care of as many as I could.  Played with some great randoms and flew around. Glad I am able to play on weekdays since it has been damn near impossible to get a weekend morning tee time before 10am at Aguila the past month or so even with the city card and staying up to midnight.

• Like 1

I took my great niece out to Rolling Hills for her 2nd round ever. 'Definitely a tougher course than Paradise Valley, especially with a stiff breeze. Conditions were decent for an executive muni. Fairways were meh, but the greens were in nice shape, and rolling at 9 or so. Pace was acceptable.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

• Like 1

Anybody have an idea where I can get a Ping i200 iron bent? I called Ping, and they are not accepting walk-ups at this time. With the melt-down with the post office and common carriers, I might be without a club for 2 weeks if I ship it to Ping.

I stopped at PGA Superstore, and they will not bend a Ping iron. 

Anybody have an idea where I can get a Ping i200 iron bent? I called Ping, and they are not accepting walk-ups at this time. With the melt-down with the post office and common carriers, I might be without a club for 2 weeks if I ship it to Ping.

Call Van's, they might. They're a Ping fitter.  Maybe Golf Galaxy?

• Like 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - TTitleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Yes, all about golf in Tempe. Todd just bent a couple clubs for me. Best locally run golf store in the Valley. 

• Like 1

played Aguila on Saturday and hit the jackpot...went out at 7:52 and got to play as a single walking.  Just a perfect morning.  Played in about 2:45 hitting 2 or 3 shots a hole for a majority of the back since I had time to kill.  Course was in great shape though...greens rolling quick, fairways in good shape and bunkers as well.  I'm definitely liking the look of the newly edged tee boxes.  

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

1 minute ago, ferrispgm said:

played Aguila on Saturday and hit the jackpot...went out at 7:52 and got to play as a single walking.  Just a perfect morning.  Played in about 2:45 hitting 2 or 3 shots a hole for a majority of the back since I had time to kill.  Course was in great shape though...greens rolling quick, fairways in good shape and bunkers as well.  I'm definitely liking the look of the newly edged tee boxes.  

You got lucky. I teed off at 10:40 on Saturday and it was 12:05 by the time we reached the 5th tee box and there were already 2 groups waiting on the tee. I just turned around and walked back to my car.

• Sad 2

It's another Cave Creek Monday, whoa, whoa. 

Actually, conditions were about the same. Fairways were wet and muddy in spots from the watering. Bunkers were passable. Greens were rolling 9 to 10. The 9th green was in rough shape with a few large brown spots, and an area that had new turf put in. Pace was fine at 4 hours, but it could have been a lot better. When we teed off there was nobody in front of us, but two in the group were rather slow. 'Never heard of ready golf.

First round at Tonto Verde Peaks tomorrow afternoon.