2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

15 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Jin Young Ko to resume full playing schedule starting October 8 in Korea

World's No. 1 Jinyoung Ko, participate in the domestic competition next month

After participating until the Hana Financial Group Championship (November 5-8), a special event, Ko Jin-young will compete in the LPGA Tour from the Pelican Championship that opens on November 20 (Korean time).

Following the Pelican Championship, Ko Jin-young is planning to finish the LPGA Tour season by playing four competitions, including the Volunteers of America Classic, the US Women's Open, and the CME Group Tour Championship.

spacer.png

It will be nice to see Jin Young back on tour and it is Jin Young so there shouldn't be a big problem but my first thought is, she not leaving much room for error playing 3 events before the CME.  If I'm not mistaken the CME is still the top 75 players and some stumbles could keep you out of the CME but again it's Jin Young so it really shouldn't be a problem but could be.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

It is my understanding that Brooke had preferred the university route and that it was familial persuasion that convinced her to abandon that and turn professional.

Well I do know she did have a big dream from a young age to attend Florida,  she did have the Florida Gator Logo painted on her bedroom wall as a kid (kinda weird for a kid from Ottawa lol).  Dave seems like a very pragmatic guy and a simple and honest conversation with her is probably what occurred.  Like what was she trying to accomplish in college cause it wouldn't have been for golf she was at the time she turned pro, the #1 amateur in the world.  She came out of the gate with some very heavy hitting sponsors, so I doubt there were any financial considerations trying to do it.  I just don't see Brooke's parents as controlling, she travelled the world by herself (with Brit) almost from the start and had her own home in Florida at age 18.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stooch said:

It will be nice to see Jin Young back on tour and it is Jin Young so there shouldn't be a big problem but my first thought is, she not leaving much room for error playing 3 events before the CME.  If I'm not mistaken the CME is still the top 75 players and some stumbles could keep you out of the CME but again it's Jin Young so it really shouldn't be a problem but could be.

It's been Top-60 and ties since 2019 for CME Group Tour Championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stooch said:

Well I do know she did have a big dream from a young age to attend Florida,  she did have the Florida Gator Logo painted on her bedroom wall as a kid (kinda weird for a kid from Ottawa lol).  Dave seems like a very pragmatic guy and a simple and honest conversation with her is probably what occurred.  Like what was she trying to accomplish in college cause it wouldn't have been for golf she was at the time she turned pro, the #1 amateur in the world.  She came out of the gate with some very heavy hitting sponsors, so I doubt there were any financial considerations trying to do it.  I just don't see Brooke's parents as controlling, she travelled the world by herself (with Brit) almost from the start and had her own home in Florida at age 18.

What I understand is that she was wanting to attend college first ... just be a kid and play golf at Florida.  Obviously, her parent(s) persuaded her of the current route instead.  I am unsure as to what the meaning or point is with the remainder of what you wrote so I won't meander with my thoughts.   

16 hours ago, 18majors said:

@Golf Dino

No recent collegiate golfers came with better credentials than Leona Maguire, Jennifer Kupcho, Maria Fassi, Kristen Gillman, Andrea Lee or Albane Valenzuela.  For Christ's sake, Kristen Gillman, two weeks younger than Brooke Henderson, beat Brooke at 2014 US Women's Amateur final when both were 16.

Yet, none of them has a pro resume anywhere close to Brooke's.

From golf standpoint, college simply robs four best years from prodigies; nothing more and nothing less. If the reason to go to college is anything other than golf; then everybody is free to make their choices.

Your point about Rose's amateur play this and next year is well taken; because a scenario as unthinkable as Hannah O'Sullivan happened.

@18majors   ... I am not certain what point you are trying to make.  Is it agreeing with a point I made, disagreeing, or just adding some of your thoughts to it for sake of discussion?  

On the topic of Collegiate Golf ... in high performance athletes/sports, like all youth in general, young people vary immensely from one another.  There may be physical differences, differences in skill levels, social and emotional differences, and more.  I don't know your personal situation, but I believe that most parents would agree that the variation and difference between children varies greatly -- even within their own family.  Educators know this to be true and that is why it factors into some of their student assessments in the K-12 system and in how curriculum is developed within each individual school, district, jurisdiction, etc..  But, for every "child prodigy" like Brooke Henderson and Lydia Ko, there are literally dozens upon dozens more that are not capable of taking the route that these two did (and you can add Lexi to the list of successful child prodigies as well.)  

That incapability does not necessarily mean that it is a skill gap or ability gap, but plenty of times it is social and emotional in nature.  In others, it could be a physical one as some are slower to grow and develop physically.  Now, I know that you ( @18majors ) indicated "prodigies" ... I would just be a little more discerning in using that term ... for the reasons mentioned here.  

So, with Collegiate Golf, it offers young athletes the time to not only grow physically, continue developing their skills, but perhaps the biggest factor is that it allows them to grow and mature socially and emotionally so that when the time comes, they are better equipped to handle the stresses and adversity that comes at them with professional level golf.  In golf, we would be wise to remember, it is one of the few sports that is so solitary in its nature.  In team sports, slower development can be accommodated via the minor leagues, in junior teams or academies.   Golf is very much an individual sport and to succeed, a person must be the best of themselves at every point in time (this does not mean that they stand still from a developmental perspective -- it represents an evolution so that they must be the best of themselves at that point in time).

So the collegiate route enabled players like Annika (Arizona), Lorena Ochoa (Arizona), etc. to develop as players and people to better equip them for life as a professional.   And dominate they did.  We can debate which platform is best for player development today, whether an academy approach is better, playing the developmental tours or attend college.  It is such a varied set of opportunities today, and college golf offers players a scholarship and an education.  And some players maximize that benefit for an eventual life after golf.  At the end of the day (and their playing careers), few players will have amassed enough winnings to retire or do something else in a more comfortable manner and will have to work at something.  A solid education can help do that.  Also, collegiate golf can help them develop their skills and game without the financial pressures that a tour like the Symetra bring (e.g.: lots of costs, but small purses).   

Anyway, I'm afraid that I have meandered a fair bit @18majors  so apologies in advance.

4 hours ago, Stooch said:

My impression of JYK is that she prolly doesn't care at this point whether she makes the CME or not  (why?  she seems to be the type who'd do what she wants, not what's asked of her)-- again I don't know her but at the same time, because of (or in spite of) her abilities, she probably isn't fussing over making the CME or not... 

• Like 2

@Newinup

I've the same impression about Jin Young Ko that she'd be happy to play CME Tour Championship because she's already in the States; but it wouldn't bother her if she doesn't.

She's here to play US Women's Open.  Not only it's the major she hasn't won, but it's also the badge of honor for all Korean women golfers.  Ever since Se Ri Pak in 1998, all respectable Korean women golfers; Inbee Park, So Yeon Ryu, Na Yeon Choi, In Gee Chun, Sung Hyun Park and Jeong Eun Lee6 all have won it.

Looking forward to seeing her play!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 18majors said:

@Golf Dino

Thanks for your long thesis!

My point is simple and I’ll use Rose Zhang to illustrate.

For players like her, it’s a waste of her god given talent to go to college; be it Stanford, Harvard or Princeton.

I tend to agree ... but, i think a significant part of the decision making process will be influenced by her 2021 season as an amateur

9 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Guys: how reliable is the LPGA website for tournament entries? Before I start getting giddy: Am I right to see Bianca made it to KPMG (and missed making ShopRite, which is what I expected). Or am I hallucinating already?  Entry list for kpmg is finalized today hence I ask ... And it's now past 5pm in either coast...

It should be correct.

Bianca is on the Entry List because she's higher than both Kim Kaufman and Haley Moore on current official money list.

Bianca was behind both Kim and Haley until she earned additional money from Cambia last week.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 18majors said:

It should be correct.

Bianca is on the Entry List because she's higher than both Kim Kaufman and Haley Moore on current official money list.

Bianca was behind both Kim and Haley until she earned additional money from Cambia last week.

Congratulations!

Quite confusing then... But I'll take it... Eg Kim Kaufman is an invitee or money list entry? Or both? (Though I think it has to only be one right?)

11 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Quite confusing then... But I'll take it... Eg Kim Kaufman is an invitee or money list entry? Or both? (Though I think it has to only be one right?)

This is from September 15 announcement:

"Below is the preliminary field list for the 2020 KPMG Women's PGA Championship at Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, as of September 15, 2020. The field is subject to change. The field, with the exception of a spot for the winner of the Shoprite LPGA Classic, will be set on September 22nd."

The field wasn't finalized until today.

Haley Moore can still be added to the list because the winner of ShopRite most likely is someone who's already qualified.

Edited by 18majors
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is from September 15 announcement:

"Below is the preliminary field list for the 2020 KPMG Women's PGA Championship at Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, as of September 15, 2020. The field is subject to change. The field, with the exception of a spot for the winner of the Shoprite LPGA Classic, will be set on September 22nd."

The field wasn't finalized until today.

Haley Moore can still be added to the list because the winner of ShopRite most likely is someone who's already qualified.

Either way, cautiously optimistic! I'll take it! Thanks for clarifying...

Edited by Newinup

19 hours ago, 18majors said:

@Golf Dino

Thanks for your long thesis!

My point is simple and I’ll use Rose Zhang to illustrate.

For players like her, it’s a waste of her god given talent to go to college; be it Stanford, Harvard or Princeton.

Or why not defer college to a later time in life, taking advantage of current golf skills/prowess now? I got my freshman year in after high school but put it on the backburner, achieving my degree in my 40s. I made a much better student later in life and appreciated it much more. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Or why not defer college to a later time in life, taking advantage of current golf skills/prowess now? I got my freshman year in after high school but put it on the backburner, achieving my degree in my 40s. I made a much better student later in life and appreciated it much more. 

Financial independence is a good thing; a person can do whatever he/she chooses to do in life, including going to college.

Financial independence is a good thing; a person can do whatever he/she chooses to do in life, including going to college.

True, in my situation I was working full-time for companies that had a paid tuition reimbursement benefit allowing me to go to college without regard to my measly wages. It still wasn't easy as some bosses only wanted to apply that company policy to the male employees. Thank you RBG! In any case, in order to finally get reimbursement one had to maintain a high GPA which was fine with me as it was one more incentive.

• Like 2

now if she could just bring her iron/wedge play into better form...  at least it's not impossible, having seen her improve her putting from the bermuda dominated grass of Manila to whatever is out there in whatever course in whatever state (except FL of course, where Bermuda is still tops LOL)

fwiw, wack wack, to me,  is quite a difficult course back in the Philippines - prolly why she did the best in Inverness so far and as @18majors noticed, does better relatively speaking in "harder" courses amongst the 4 tournaments she's played (stillwater in OK where she came in T2 with Andrea Lee which Kupcho won in individual ncaa wasn't easy too if I may add, you guys might hv a different opinion LOL)... fingers crossed for KPMG... 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/09/23/lpga-driving-distance-bianca-pagdanganan-rookie/?fbclid=IwAR1hFWDioHUPPCF6c-hLlcwLctrCDEGll-tja0ngm6LbyOJKRXaRzVwwccs

Edited by Newinup
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Newinup said:

now if she could just bring her iron/wedge play into better form...  at least it's not impossible, having seen her improve her putting from the bermuda dominated grass of Manila to whatever is out there in whatever course in whatever state (except FL of course, where Bermuda is still tops LOL)

fwiw, wack wack, to me,  is quite a difficult course back in the Philippines - prolly why she did the best in Inverness so far and as @18majors noticed, does better relatively speaking in "harder" courses amongst the 4 tournaments she's played (stillwater in OK where she came in T2 with Andrea Lee which Kupcho won in individual ncaa wasn't easy too if I may add, you guys might hv a different opinion LOL)... fingers crossed for KPMG... 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/09/23/lpga-driving-distance-bianca-pagdanganan-rookie/?fbclid=IwAR1hFWDioHUPPCF6c-hLlcwLctrCDEGll-tja0ngm6LbyOJKRXaRzVwwccs

Beth Ann Nichols usually does a good job on featured articles; she didn't disappoint on this article either.

Facts are golfers can't be good at everything; Bianca is in good shape because she already excels at "off the tee" and "putting"; two most important ingredients.  

The important thing for her is to rank high enough to play all five majors every year.  It's OK if she misses 13 cuts a year, she just needs to win one major a year for the next ten years.  She'll own not just LPGA, but the republic of the Philippines.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Beth Ann Nichols usually does a good job on featured articles; she didn't disappoint on this article either.

Facts are golfers can't be good at everything; Bianca is in good shape because she already excels at "off the tee" and "putting"; two most important ingredients.  

The important thing for her is to rank high enough to play all five majors every year.  It's OK if she misses 13 cuts a year, she just needs to win one major a year for the next ten years.  She'll own not just LPGA, but the republic of the Philippines.

Those top 10 LPGA players are good at everything - heck Shibuno (top 15) is good at pretty much all facets of her game (or maybe despite me following her enough, I still don't know her real weakness due to lost in translation japanese haha)

Let's just aim for making the cut first in the KPMG... then I will post again in that "to be made" thread if she's in and places well enough after round 2 ?

Edited by Newinup
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Those top 10 LPGA players are good at everything - heck Shibuno (top 15) is good at pretty much all facets of her game (or maybe despite me following her enough, I still don't know her real weakness due to lost in translation japanese haha)

Let's just aim for making the cut first in the KPMG... then I will post again in that "to be made" thread if she's in and places well enough after round 2 ?

Sensible summary.  

• Like 1

Are you ever gonna just come out and tell everyone that you are Beth Ann Nichols?

• Haha 1