2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

"After finishing the first round of the Korean Women's Professional Golf (KLPGA) Tour Otek Carrier Championship held at Sejong Field Golf Club (par 72) in Sejong City on the 8th, at a press conference, "I'm going to swing in a different style from last year. Short game also last year," "We are working on as much as we did, or for a better direction."

Jinyoung Ko, No. 1 in the world of women's golf, "Fixing the swing... for consistency"

spacer.png

22 hours ago, 18majors said:

"After finishing the first round of the Korean Women's Professional Golf (KLPGA) Tour Otek Carrier Championship held at Sejong Field Golf Club (par 72) in Sejong City on the 8th, at a press conference, "I'm going to swing in a different style from last year. Short game also last year," "We are working on as much as we did, or for a better direction."

Jinyoung Ko, No. 1 in the world of women's golf, "Fixing the swing... for consistency"

spacer.png

Things like this worry me. If it’s not broken don’t fix it. 

• Like 4

Purse was listed as $2.0 million on LPGA.com

Belleair a step away from reviving long-awaited LPGA tournament

"The Pelican championship is a 72-hole stroke play tournament that includes practice rounds and a one-day pro-am tournament that allows amateurs to play golf alongside the professionals. The tournament will feature a full field of 108 players competing for a $1.5 million purse."

13 hours ago, WestTex said:

I'm going to push this lady hard to drum interest from my wife and mother-in-law.  Yuka Saso has competition in the house now, lol!

I suspect that over the next 2-3 years, Bianca will be the highest ranked player ever from the Philippines.   Aronimink and the KPMG Women's PGA Championship is a heck of a lot more difficult event than anything on the KLPGA or JLPGA.   My only concern might be that Bianca hits a wall in terms of her development and progression as a player (for whatever reason) and that she may have body injuries at some point, simply because she can generate so much club head speed and her body may start to give way to all of the forces she applies.  I readily admit that I don't know much about her body/swing mechanics except to say that it looks pretty sound, but without data, its hard to know for certain.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

I suspect that over the next 2-3 years, Bianca will be the highest ranked player ever from the Philippines.   Aronimink and the KPMG Women's PGA Championship is a heck of a lot more difficult event than anything on the KLPGA or JLPGA.   My only concern might be that Bianca hits a wall in terms of her development and progression as a player (for whatever reason) and that she may have body injuries at some point, simply because she can generate so much club head speed and her body may start to give way to all of the forces she applies.  I readily admit that I don't know much about her body/swing mechanics except to say that it looks pretty sound, but without data, its hard to know for certain.  

This will sound awful, but given what I have seen my wife and her family go through in the army, plus the nation that gave us Manny Pacquiao, I in jest say that I believe the Filipinos can take a beating and keep on going! 🤣

Yikes!!! when you see something  that you didn't think was that big of a deal but out of curiosity you look into it and turns out it is.  I had noticed Morning Drive hasn't on the Golf Channel since before the KPMG and didn't think much of it, with strange times and all.   It turns out at the end of the year, the Golf Channel website is gonna disappear and be folded into a single tab on the NBC sports website.  All of the Golf Channel original content is gonna disappear with the changes.  There is a thread on the PGA side of WRX describing much of what's going on better than this post.  There seems to be much speculation on what this means for content that GC and NBC owns like moving the events to various NBC platforms, like Peacock but what seems clear is GC will be a shell of it's former self if it continues to exist at all.

This doesn't sound good for the LPGA, like a game of musical chairs where everyone else already has a seat.  I found it weird at the time last year when the LPGA only signed a 1 year contract extension on  their TV deal but now it makes lots of sense.  I will concede Whan has done many great things for the LPGA but his one major flaw that will hurt the LPGA is he's a dinosaur who doesn't understand new media.  Cable and TV is a dying medium (although live sports does fair much better) as many are unplugging and paying to stream the things they wanna watch.  This has been my biggest/longest rant since I've been on this site that the LPGA has to take control and produce, control and own their content.

The one saving grace I guess is the PGA seems to be going the route of taking control of all their content and they are the lead in negotiating the LPGA deal and although I would rather the LPGA control their content, I guess a good silver medal would be having them under the PGA banner.  That said, I'm sure there's a terrible misogynistic joke in there about not worrying cause the boys are gonna take care of the girls. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@stooch

As usual, very keen observation of yours.  My sense is winning a silver medal from NBC may not be a bad deal.

NBC won't jettison Golf Channel because it needs a full time golf channel to cover PGA, LPGA, PGA Champions, Korn Ferry and European Tour; but the programs may change.  There isn't any needs of endless reruns of Caddyshack, golf lessons or Morning Drives.

Instead, I'd welcome "Live from US Women's Open," "Live from ANA Inspiration", "Live from KPMG," "Live from AIG," and "Live from Evian."

• Like 3

@18majors

I don't think the issue will be NBC giving up on golf, while TV is slowly dying it is still far from dead and there is still much value for Networks to carry their weekend coverage.  I think step 1 in the PGA plans is to take back rounds 1 & 2 and early coverage.  PGA live seems to be working well for them and suspect we will see a PGA Network similar to the NFL Network or NBA Network and see them trying to bring the LPGA along with them (Korn Ferry they already own).  I think we will see Morning Drive type shows on such a Network.  I suspect the issue for GC would be losing the early round coverages on weekends and rounds 1 & 2, without that the channel is nothing and could not survive, well at least without running at huge losses.  We don't really know how this is all gonna play out but I guess we will see shortly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stooch said:

@18majors

I don't think the issue will be NBC giving up on golf, while TV is slowly dying it is still far from dead and there is still much value for Networks to carry their weekend coverage.  I think step 1 in the PGA plans is to take back rounds 1 & 2 and early coverage.  PGA live seems to be working well for them and suspect we will see a PGA Network similar to the NFL Network or NBA Network and see them trying to bring the LPGA along with them (Korn Ferry they already own).  I think we will see Morning Drive type shows on such a Network.  I suspect the issue for GC would be losing the early round coverages on weekends and rounds 1 & 2, without that the channel is nothing and could not survive, well at least without running at huge losses.  We don't really know how this is all gonna play out but I guess we will see shortly

I'm confused.  PGA Live and NBC are two different things.

PGA Live is owned by PGA, not by NBC.  NBC's streaming service is called Peacock.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I'm confused.  PGA Live and NBC are two different things.

PGA Live is owned by PGA, not by NBC.  NBC's streaming service is called Peacock.

Yes, Peacock is NBC's streaming app and I'm just assuming PGA Live is a PGA property cause I imagine some lawyers would be getting richer is someone not affiliated used PGA lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Yes, Peacock is NBC's streaming app and I'm just assuming PGA Live is a PGA property cause I imagine some lawyers would be getting richer is someone not affiliated used PGA lol

My point is whatever PGA wants to do with PGA Live has nothing to do with Golf Channel or NBC Network.

I don't care about program like "Morning Drive."  My only concern is what'll happen to coverage of LPGA and LPGA players.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Where exactly would a PGA Network fit in here?

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pga-tour-golf-rights-cbs-nbc-espn-1203527292/

The commercial networks paid the big bucks and they own most of the TV and streaming rights.

What PGA can do on PGA Live and streaming is limited by this signed contractual agreement.

46 minutes ago, 18majors said:

How????  lol  They'd be better off embracing the gambling aspect of the sport, you'll get way more action, like being part of the Fanduel weekly fantasy golf betting.

• Like 1