2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

15 hours ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Where exactly would a PGA Network fit in here?

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pga-tour-golf-rights-cbs-nbc-espn-1203527292/

You could be very right and it doesn't happen, but the devil is always in the details and just cause ESPN has streaming rights doesn't mean the PGA can't have access to show on a channel.  Like I said I highly doubt the PGA wants to touch the weekend coverage cause that's to lucrative.  The NBA and NFL have Networks while selling most of/all TV right to the Networks.  Then it comes down to my belief that the Golf Channel is done, regardless of what the article says about GC.  By the sounds of it, ESPN is picking up the early round slack and sorry with out PGA content the GC cannot survive, LPGA and Korn Ferry, and Euro league isn't gonna pay the bills no matter how much people hope.  Without GC hoping NBC does right by the LPGA IMO will lead to disappointment.  That said the PGA seems to really have the LPGA's back and they will hold people feet to the fire to do right by them.  Like I said above the devil is in the details, you can have all the content deals with the golf channel you want but if the Golf Channel ceases to exist what does that mean for the deal you signed.

23 hours ago, Stooch said:

Yikes!!! when you see something  that you didn't think was that big of a deal but out of curiosity you look into it and turns out it is.  I had noticed Morning Drive hasn't on the Golf Channel since before the KPMG and didn't think much of it, with strange times and all.   It turns out at the end of the year, the Golf Channel website is gonna disappear and be folded into a single tab on the NBC sports website.  All of the Golf Channel original content is gonna disappear with the changes.  There is a thread on the PGA side of WRX describing much of what's going on better than this post.  There seems to be much speculation on what this means for content that GC and NBC owns like moving the events to various NBC platforms, like Peacock but what seems clear is GC will be a shell of it's former self if it continues to exist at all.

This doesn't sound good for the LPGA, like a game of musical chairs where everyone else already has a seat.  I found it weird at the time last year when the LPGA only signed a 1 year contract extension on  their TV deal but now it makes lots of sense.  I will concede Whan has done many great things for the LPGA but his one major flaw that will hurt the LPGA is he's a dinosaur who doesn't understand new media.  Cable and TV is a dying medium (although live sports does fair much better) as many are unplugging and paying to stream the things they wanna watch.  This has been my biggest/longest rant since I've been on this site that the LPGA has to take control and produce, control and own their content.

The one saving grace I guess is the PGA seems to be going the route of taking control of all their content and they are the lead in negotiating the LPGA deal and although I would rather the LPGA control their content, I guess a good silver medal would be having them under the PGA banner.  That said, I'm sure there's a terrible misogynistic joke in there about not worrying cause the boys are gonna take care of the girls. 🙂

Actually they closed the Golf Channel headquarters in Orlando earlier this month.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2020/10/5/golf-channel-headquarters-closed-for-investigation-out-of-an-abundance-of-caution#commenting

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

You could be very right and it doesn't happen, but the devil is always in the details and just cause ESPN has streaming rights doesn't mean the PGA can't have access to show on a channel.  Like I said I highly doubt the PGA wants to touch the weekend coverage cause that's to lucrative.  The NBA and NFL have Networks while selling most of/all TV right to the Networks.  Then it comes down to my belief that the Golf Channel is done, regardless of what the article says about GC.  By the sounds of it, ESPN is picking up the early round slack and sorry with out PGA content the GC cannot survive, LPGA and Korn Ferry, and Euro league isn't gonna pay the bills no matter how much people hope.  Without GC hoping NBC does right by the LPGA IMO will lead to disappointment.  That said the PGA seems to really have the LPGA's back and they will hold people feet to the fire to do right by them.  Like I said above the devil is in the details, you can have all the content deals with the golf channel you want but if the Golf Channel ceases to exist what does that mean for the deal you signed.

I think you’ve misinterpreted that article. Try this one. 

https://www.lpga.com/news/2020/2020-new-television-contract-for-lpga-and-pga-tour

Early round PGA will still be on Golf Channel. Only the streaming is moving to ESPN+. For those that already have ESPN+ there will be no extra cost, unlike having to subscribe to NBCSports Gold just for PGA Tour Live. 

11 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Seems like LPGA players  (and TV fan viewing public) will be better off with the new "deals".  Eg GC is still covering them and only streaming is moving to a new platform -- win / win for LPGA. Correct me if I am wrong?

Will the streaming be exclusively on ESPN+?

It would be strange if Golf Channel isn't allowed to stream it's own TV show!

• Sad 1

I fear that as the Tours and the TV networks try to increase their broadcast revenue (as is happening with Peacock right now), that we'll see the Golf Channel be very negatively impacted.

Will we only see some minor golf coverage with only a preponderance of talking heads on GC?     

I hope not.  

P.S.  To the Tours and NBC:   No, I'm not signing up for any more Golf pay tv.   Not peacock, not PGA tour live, nothing.    I pay for Golf Channel.   That's enough.   Jeez

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lobby said:

I fear that as the Tours and the TV networks try to increase their broadcast revenue (as is happening with Peacock right now), that we'll see the Golf Channel be very negatively impacted.

Will we only see some minor golf coverage with only a preponderance of talking heads on GC?     

I hope not.  

P.S.  To the Tours and NBC:   No, I'm not signing up for any more Golf pay tv.   Not peacock, not PGA tour live, nothing.    I pay for Golf Channel.   That's enough.   Jeez

You’re right, Peacock is potentially the biggest threat to the golf coverage as we know it now.

Hopefully, Peacock will be a paid service like PGA Tour Live to provide bonus coverages; but we can’t be sure.

46 minutes ago, Lobby said:

I hope not.  

38 minutes ago, 18majors said:

You’re right, Peacock is potentially the biggest threat to the golf coverage as we know it now.

Hopefully, Peacock will be a paid service like PGA Tour Live to provide bonus coverages; but we can’t be sure.

I suspect what may happen, and I hope that I am wrong, is that NBC's streaming service will completely absorb GC and its coverage.  It will become a subscription based add-on to the Peacock streaming service.  Most sports packages are money makers for the distributors (Networks or Cable Providers) and that is why they will bring it into its streaming service.  Modern technology is such, (and with 5G on the short horizon), that one merely needs to cast the stream to their big screen tv sets or whatever device they choose.  

The profitability of sports channels will be used to offset the "loss leaders" of movies, streamed tv shows, etc.  that are needed to bring the consumers/subscribers to their main service.  NBC, like any other network, can gain some economies of scale by absorbing GC within its existing structure of NBC Sports -- just with a Golf division.  In turn, seeing as they, NBC, have the bulk of the PGA and LPGA, they will be able to repackage their streaming service sports component for licensing in other countries at rates (and profits) that should eclipse what they are able to achieve at present time.    It will become like DAZN in Canada or perhaps SkySports in the UK, or what ESPN was originally like in its infancy, but only with much broader audiences.  They will of course still sell advertising on their programs for both live and replays.   It is probably the best way for the mainstream networks to stay relevant and recapture some market share or at the very least, increase their profitability.

2 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

From the article,

As part of the agreement, the LPGA maintains control of all of its media rights outside the United States and receives expanded digital content rights.”

LPGA's expanded digital rights mean nothing to us; LPGA doesn't own anything live in the US.

NBC will make a business decision on Peacock; we'll find out eventually.

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

Will the streaming be exclusively on ESPN+?

It would be strange if Golf Channel isn't allowed to stream it's own TV show!

I am as confused as a chameleon in a bag of skittles with all the banter that's happening LOL... ill just revert back once the conclusion is finalized 😛

• Like 4

Maybe Yealimi Noh will make the cut!  A rollercoaster ride of a triple at #16 followed by an eagle at #18 got her to even par for Round 1.

Lydia Ko was -3 for sixteen holes but a triple at #17 sent her back to even.

Lexi was +3 at #13, but 3 birdies in 4 holes elevated her to even par at #17.

So the story goes!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Maybe Yealimi Noh will make the cut!  A rollercoaster ride of a triple at #16 followed by an eagle at #18 got her to even par for Round 1.

So the story goes!

Maybe take a bit of chamomille tea... it'll be a roller coaster ride it seems, just look at Lydia's scorecard...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 18majors said:

So the story goes!

I'll join you on the roller coaster... at least most of my rookie dark horse rookie picks already in the clubhouse - eg Haley -1, Yealimi Even...  🙂

• Like 2

Kim Kaufman is a smart lady!   Maybe she'll win 2020 US Women's Open.

From the 2020 official Symetra Tour money list, the top five money leaders, not otherwise exempt, through the close of entries (Nov. 11, 2020)

"For the second consecutive week, Fatima Fernandez Cano (Santiago, Spain) claims the top spot on the Money List with $46,397 in earnings this year. Following at No. 2, Kim Kaufman (Clark, South Dakota), who collected a check of $22,500 from her third career “Road to the LPGA” title in South Bend, Ind., has earned $40,145 in total this season.  

“My goal all season has been to earn a spot in the US Open via the Symetra Tour,” said Kaufman. “I am taking each tournament one day at a time but in the end, nothing would feel better than achieving that goal and being able to tee it up in Houston in December.”

Kim Kaufman

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, 18majors said:

Kim Kaufman is a smart lady!   Maybe she'll win 2020 US Women's Open.

From the 2020 official Symetra Tour money list, the top five money leaders, not otherwise exempt, through the close of entries (Nov. 11, 2020)

"For the second consecutive week, Fatima Fernandez Cano (Santiago, Spain) claims the top spot on the Money List with $46,397 in earnings this year. Following at No. 2, Kim Kaufman (Clark, South Dakota), who collected a check of $22,500 from her third career “Road to the LPGA” title in South Bend, Ind., has earned $40,145 in total this season.  

“My goal all season has been to earn a spot in the US Open via the Symetra Tour,” said Kaufman. “I am taking each tournament one day at a time but in the end, nothing would feel better than achieving that goal and being able to tee it up in Houston in December.”

Kim Kaufman

One has to not just be good, gotta be smart and strategic about it too. Can't win them all.   

• Like 1