2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

10 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I hope that they do not place restrictions on who can play (i.e.: from specific nations or minimum representation from certain nations, etc.)   I've caught some of the action on tv here ... was surprised that it was available ... but the CBC was carrying it!

Like all tours, they'll have priority list for entries; and those priorities will be based on membership in KLPGA, CLPGA, Taiwan LPGA, Thailand LPGA, Vietnam LPGA and etc.

All those tours have international members that foreigners are welcome to qualify for.

• Like 1

2020 Symetra Tour is over, the Top-5 players are:

1. Ana Belac
  2. Fatima Fernandez Cano
  3. Kim Kaufman
  4. Frida Kinhult
  5. Janie Jackson

All those five players are qualified to play 2020 USWO in five weeks.

Also, they'll be promoted and become LPGA members.  Unfortunately, they'll be Category 19 players with very low priorities.

I wonder whether Bailey Tardy, #6 on the list, will replace Kim Kaufman who is already a LPGA member with much higher priority.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

Congrats to Minjee for her LET win at the Moonlight Classic. It's not a major win, but a win never hurts. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Like all tours, they'll have priority list for entries; and those priorities will be based on membership in KLPGA, CLPGA, Taiwan LPGA, Thailand LPGA, Vietnam LPGA and etc.

All those tours have international members that foreigners are welcome to qualify for.

Of course all tours have priority lists and criteria.

So your comments suggest to me that those tours that you have listed will have priority on membership within this "new" tour?   If so, have they identified a "qualification" process or "priority" criteria?  

• Like 1

2020 Symetra Tour is over, the Top-5 players are:

1. Ana Belac
  2. Fatima Fernandez Cano
  3. Kim Kaufman
  4. Frida Kinhult
  5. Janie Jackson

All those five players are qualified to play 2020 USWO in five weeks.

Also, they'll be promoted and become LPGA members.  Unfortunately, they'll be Category 19 players with very low priorities.

I wonder whether Bailey Tardy, #6 on the list, will replace Kim Kaufman who is already a LPGA member with much higher priority.

Category 19 means it's even lower than players ranked 125-150 on the money list? (Eg category 19 seems to show priority starting on the 360's - which in a field of even 144 or even expanded to 156, isn't going to be that high for these category 19 players)... wow, talk about a tough way to earn your card...  2019 symetra graduates in the top 10 have it good -- they better capitalize on that then... some of them 2019 symetra top 10'ers seem to be "Asleep" this year... 

As well, on the new "Asian" tour - I guess this is in response to how difficult it is to enter the LPGA and since LET is doing decent for the europlayers, Asian tour is trying it out too for asian players, i guess?  (travelling to diff countries within asia is quite an adventure in itself already let alone travelling to and from Asia and North Am/Europe)...   

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Of course all tours have priority lists and criteria.

So your comments suggest to me that those tours that you have listed will have priority on membership within this "new" tour?   If so, have they identified a "qualification" process or "priority" criteria?  

No, that's not what I mean.

My understanding is, right now, Ladies Asian Tour (LAT) isn't a new tour like LPGA or KLPGA; but a collection of tournaments that're currently on various tours.   Hana Financial Singapore is the only new tournament.

But Korean Women's Open isn't part of KLPGA, China Women's Open isn't part of CLPGA and etc.   So theoretically they can all separate themselves from various professional tours and form a tour of their own.

I don't believe LAT will have their own players, but I'm not privy to their long term plan.

• Thanks 1

No, that's not what I mean.

My understanding is, right now, Ladies Asian Tour (LAT) isn't a new tour like LPGA or KLPGA; but a collection of tournaments that're currently on various tours.   Hana Financial Singapore is the only new tournament.

But Korean Women's Open isn't part of KLPGA, China Women's Open isn't part of CLPGA and etc.   So theoretically they can all separate themselves from various professional tours and form a tour of their own.

I don't believe LAT will have their own players, but I'm not privy to their long term plan.

So it sounds more akin to the WGC between the PGA and European Tour?  

7 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

So it sounds more akin to the WGC between the PGA and European Tour?  

WGC runs 3 tournaments; and they're all treated as joint PGA and European Tour events.

Hana plans to run two events but forms LAT by combining it with several National Opens in Asia.  LAT will have it's own ranking and its own Player of the Year.

Hana could make LAT interesting, if it awards their Player of the Year with a US$ 10.0 million check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Mirror, mirror, who's the fairest of them all; Yuka Saso or Bianca Pagdanganan!

The Philippines is experiencing an embarrassment of riches with two of the hottest female golfers in the world!

Saso rallies with solid 63 to clinch 2nd, regains top ranking

spacer.png

Wait for some others too in the future - LK Go (Gamecock Senior), etc... but for now, just got to be satisfied with one of these explosive players in each of their respective tours... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxio said:

LK's trajectory was derailed a bit the other year with a misdiagnosed injury. It took her a while to get to swing pain free. This delayed the progress of her game.

Both Yuka and Bianca are long off the tee; Clarice Guce isn't as long, but is also way above average.

Nobody is as long as Bianca, but is Lois Kaye as long as Yuka?

There must be reasons these Filipinos are long off the tee, either genetic or coaching at young ages!

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Both Yuka and Bianca are long off the tee; Clarice Guce isn't as long, but is also way above average.

Nobody is as long as Bianca, but is Lois Kaye as long as Yuka?

There must be reasons these Filipinos are long off the tee, either genetic or coaching at young ages!

LK is the shortest amongst the three Amigas... What she lacks in length is made up with strong midgame... I think she copies Matsuyama's game somewhat with better putting offset by weaker driving (relative to Hideki).  Yuka and Bianca are truly ahead of everyone else in their game(s).   Nonetheless, the Thais (Thitikull and company) are going to give them a run for their $ in Southeast Asia ... There's quite a few others who are going to move up too from Thailand: Boonchant, etc...

• Like 1

Seems like in not consulting with Hana Bank before adding the BMW event Whan may have created a rival faction since they now want to do their own thing and put money behind it. If they get enough money going and support from players, who is to say the LPGA doesn’t become a second tier tour in a few years? 

14 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Seems like in not consulting with Hana Bank before adding the BMW event Whan may have created a rival faction since they now want to do their own thing and put money behind it. If they get enough money going and support from players, who is to say the LPGA doesn’t become a second tier tour in a few years? 

Internal politics between the TLPGA, KLPGA, CLPGA, JLPGA would undoubtedly percolate to the surface ... for example, the CLPGA (China) would object to the inclusion of the TLPGA's biggest event (Taiwan)being called a national open, etc... 

But, if they got their act together, pooled their resources AND if CHINA's Communist Party agreed to provide some stability to Golf (ie: by formalizing its detente with golf), then it could outstrip the LPGA in dollar terms and become an attractive place to play (at least money-wise).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Internal politics between the TLPGA, KLPGA, CLPGA, JLPGA would undoubtedly percolate to the surface ... for example, the CLPGA (China) would object to the inclusion of the TLPGA's biggest event (Taiwan)being called a national open, etc... 

But, if they got their act together, pooled their resources AND if CHINA's Communist Party agreed to provide some stability to Golf (ie: by formalizing its detente with golf), then it could outstrip the LPGA in dollar terms and become an attractive place to play (at least money-wise).

The worst scenario for women's professional golf is to stay the course that's leading to nowhere.  Any new jolt, perturbation or activities are good; it gives sign of life and provides professionals with new opportunities.

Hana won't be able to do it alone.  Even if it is one of the biggest financial firms in Korea, it isn't JP Morgan Chase on a world scale.  Hopefully, they'll garner additional support from other Asian powerhouses through Asia Golf Leaders Forum (AGLF), to make it worthwhile.

Incidentally, the financial center of gravity has moved from West Europe to North America; and will be moving to East Asia soon.  Time is right for Asian firms to be the world leader for a change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

The worst scenario for women's professional golf is to stay the course that's leading to nowhere.  Any new jolt, perturbation or activities are good; it gives sign of life and provides professionals with new opportunities.

Hana won't be able to do it alone.  Even if it is one of the biggest financial firms in Korea, it isn't JP Morgan Chase on a world scale.  Hopefully, they'll garner additional support from other Asian powerhouses through Asia Golf Leaders Forum (AGLF), to make it worthwhile.

Incidentally, the financial center of gravity has moved from West Europe to North America; and will be moving to East Asia soon.  Time is right for Asian firms to be the world leader for a change.

In many areas, some Asian firms are already leading. I think I read that Kia is the brand that has sold the most cars in the US in 2020 add to that Nissan, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota and it is very likely Asian car companies collectively own the market.  Apple is prevalent in Europe and North America but Huawei and Samsung outsell Apple in many parts of the world. And HSBC has it’s foot print all around the world. If the LPGA is smart, it should court some of these larger companies to be a part of the premiere golf tour before a strong regional tour sets up shop.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

In many areas, some Asian firms are already leading. I think I read that Kia is the brand that has sold the most cars in the US in 2020 add to that Nissan, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota and it is very likely Asian car companies collectively own the market.  Apple is prevalent in Europe and North America but Huawei and Samsung outsell Apple in many parts of the world. And HSBC has it’s foot print all around the world. If the LPGA is smart, it should court some of these larger companies to be a part of the premiere golf tour before a strong regional tour sets up shop.

Unfortunately, car companies have scale but often they don't have free cash.

The most valuable Asian companies are all in China; Alibaba and Tencent have valuation of more than US$700.0 billion while Samsung is less than half of that.  But, AGLF can't put their hope on China because everything there is predicated by Communist Party.

Assuming Japan is not in the picture; AGLF has to drive LAT mostly through Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and other Southeastern Asian countries.  

It's not an ideal scenario.  But it's enough to drive Asian women's professional golf from a tiny entity to small but respectable.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, car companies have scale but often they don't have free cash.

The most valuable Asian companies are all in China; Alibaba and Tencent have valuation of more than US$700.0 billion while Samsung is less than half of that.  But, AGLF can't put their hope on China because everything there is predicated by Communist Party.

Assuming Japan is not in the picture; AGLF has to drive LAT mostly through Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and other Southeastern Asian countries.  

It's not an ideal scenario.  But it's enough to drive Asian women's professional golf from a tiny entity to small but respectable.

Never underestimate the power of Thai companies too. They may not be on the radar for global branding but they sure have a lot of solid companies there that'll make this "Asian" tour more viable... Singapore companies are stingier as their country focuses more on swimming, bowling, etc rather than golf.  Hell they're gold medalists in swimming last olympics (for Joseph schooling) and have women compete on the PWBA (pro bowling). But then they have sentosa golf club as venue for some premier golfing events so go figure... Malaysia with CIMB before, and hopefully Kelly Tan's better showing may lead to something ... Who knows... Philippine companies are not as "rich" as the other southeast Asia/Korean/Japan  companies but ITCSI sponsors a lot of LPGA pros (not only Filipina golfers but even Latin American LPGA pros)... There is hope is essentially what I'm saying ....

• Like 1

@Supermilo

As I stated earlier, unfortunately China doesn't have a free government even though it has a free economy.  Otherwise, Asian professional women's coffer would be filled up with gold bars.

It's an understatement that Asian women's golf outside of Japan isn't healthy.  The purse of KLPGA is just more than half of JLPGA, and the purse of Thailand LPGA is less than that of Symetra Tour.

But that's also the beauty.   The bars are so low, Hana on its own can make a lot of difference.

We just need to sit tight and watch!

• Like 1

@Supermilo

As I stated earlier, unfortunately China doesn't have a free government even though it has a free economy.  Otherwise, Asian professional women's coffer would be filled up with gold bars.

It's an understatement that Asian women's golf outside of Japan isn't healthy.  The purse of KLPGA is just more than half of JLPGA, and the purse of Thailand LPGA is less than that of Symetra Tour.

But that's also the beauty.   The bars are so low, Hana on its own can make a lot of difference.

We just need to sit tight and watch!

While it is correct on an "absolute" scale (i.e.: size of purses for each tour) the purse money in Thailand should be considered on a "purchasing power" basis or what is also referred to as "purchasing power parity".  So a prize equivalent to $1,000 USD in Thai Baht has far more purchasing power in Thailand than a $1000 USD does in the United States.

So with that in mind, the Thai tour is not as bad as it may seem on the surface in comparison to the Symetra Tour (at least in purse terms).  But the point I think your trying to make, that the purse sizes are not lucrative enough to lure North Americans and Western Europeans, is salient.

• Like 1

A little surprised the LET event is still going on considering this happened about 120 km south of where the event is to take place. Looks like there was also some terrorist activity in the area a couple of weeks ago. LPGA events in Mexico were canceled for less. I do get the impression that KAEC is almost like an enclave, the Dubai of Saudi Arabia, that may be a stretch. I am sure security is tight. Hoping the ladies stay safe. However, between WalMart and now Aramco being involved in ladies golf I’m sure no one wants to ruffle the feathers of one of the largest, corporations in the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/11/middleeast/jeddah-cemetery-wwi-ceremony-attack-intl/index.html

Edited by fredogolfer

22 hours ago, 18majors said:

The Masters has it all, including the best broadcast coverage.

A new feature, My Group, will combine shot track and near live broadcast coverage of your favorite players.  This will be the only coverage I follow.

My Group

I tried to do it in mine but adding my favorites to the list - but it doesn't seem to update quickly, is that what you noticed too? 

Sometimes it might be better to just track the player(s) on the holes themselves if you want it more real time?  Or am I doing this incorrectly?  (eg my favorite player(s) have already been shaded on their stars as i followed the instructions of the "my group" - which is to add my favorites to the list right? it's just not as real time is i thought it would be compared to the feeds on the holes themselves, correct?)

• Like 1