2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

Who's the most dominant professional golfer in 2020; it's non other than 17 years old Atthaya Thitikul, a Thailand LPGA rookie.  She won one of her first five events, then once she got a hang of it, she won four consecutive tournaments to close the season.

She is the closest to what Nancy Lopez did for her LPGA rookie season in 1978.

Awesome Atthaya claims 5th pro title at Thailand Masters

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, 18majors said:

Rose Zhang is in no hurry to turn pro

"Finally official! Forever thankful to my family, friends, and coaches who support me endlessly, honestly can’t wait to be on the Farm with my favorite coaches and teammates @stanfordwgolf 🥰🌲🌲#nlisigningday #stanfordcardinal #nerdnation #allglorytogod🙏"

spacer.png

Rose Zhang is left handed? I’m sure she plays golf right handed. 

Lydia Ko and Sean Foley; they're perfect together

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJYzcelKCa/?hl=en

Good afternoon everyone, spent the morning with my girl @lydsko. Lydia has been playing so solid, and her game is in a beautiful place. Lyds went to Houston this week to play the course the @uswomensopen next week in Houston. To ensure success at US Open it is going to require high ball flights into the green. Lyds loves to hit a slight fade and I love when she hits the ball high. So we blended the two together and above is a video and then some screen shots to allow you to see the perfect blend of geometry, physics, kinematics and kinetics needed to hit that shot. Her speed is way up which allows us to hit into the clouds. Whether you are working with a male or female player you have to treat each of them like athletes. I am so proud of the commitment that Lyds has made to getting the most out of her special gifts. Just keep showing up and wait for it to come to you. The bird never flies to the hand that is grasping for it. #kiwi #korea #special

spacer.png

• Like 2

She's the hot hand coming to  USWO

"Following rounds of 68-71-68, Denmark’s Pedersen shot a final-round 66 to win the Ladies European Tour’s Andalucia Open De Espana Sunday at 15 under — her third straight win."

Emily Kristine Pedersen wins LET's Andalucia Open De Espana for third straight title

spacer.png

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The weather will be a factor next week at Volunteers of America Classic in Dallas, Texas

It may be one of the reasons an unusual number of players had withdrawn from the tournament.

spacer.png

I noticed that a lot of Americans are withdrawing, certainly not the Koreans... It'll be interesting to see if this mass withdrawals leads to better results in the USWO...  it certainly isn't bec of logistics that they're withdrawing, eg yes texas is big but it's not as if they don't know how to drive....

Edited by HMHS

4 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I noticed that it's mostly the Americans withdrawing, certainly not the Koreans... It'll be interesting to see if this mass withdrawals leads to better results in the USWO...  I am of the view that you play when you get the chance, esp in a covid season, but that's just me and I'm no pro...

The more players withdrew, the more opportunities for the rookies.

Hope rookies take the opportunities and shine!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The more players withdrew, the more opportunities for the rookies.

Hope rookies take the opportunities and shine!

Yes, so long as the withdrawals are the vets indeed... lower rung Qschoolers take priority  in the reserve list and I'm keeping track :)... I'm sure Haley Moore, despite still being reserve #2 is already on her way to Texas (even if she wont play USWO)...

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

She's the hot hand coming to  USWO

"Following rounds of 68-71-68, Denmark’s Pedersen shot a final-round 66 to win the Ladies European Tour’s Andalucia Open De Espana Sunday at 15 under — her third straight win."

Emily Kristine Pedersen wins LET's Andalucia Open De Espana for third straight title

spacer.png

Does Ollie take any credit for this?

44 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Did Ollie caddie for her?

The way Emily has been playing, Ollie may have a hard decision to make in the near future.

Not her caddy but can we say mental coach? For more than one player? Had a chat with him awhile back at Viola's on Paradise Island during Bahamas tourney. He was working for Sandra Gal at the time. Very laid back guy.

Ollie.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 18majors said:

The weather will be a factor next week at Volunteers of America Classic in Dallas, Texas

It may be one of the reasons an unusual number of players had withdrawn from the tournament.

spacer.png

Man, NW winds the first two days without abundant sunshine and below average temps is not going to be fun. May help a little that the winds won't be coming off the water

Looks like Lizette Salas withdrew. She was already in the area as she posted videos of herself practicing at a course near McKinney.Wonder what happened? 

Fortunately Maria Fassi got in. AT&T is a sponsor for the event and Fassi being an AT&T ambassador is all over printed materials for volunteers. 

I was going to volunteer for the event. I made the decision to not go as I could not make any of the pre-tournament Covid testing and there was a chance I would have to pay for my own testing once I got to town at an approved site. We weren’t informed of testing requirements until a couple of weeks ago. I am sure it was no big deal since likely most people are local but for someone coming from out of town it’s a bit more difficult. I really like this course and it would have been fun. The event organizers have been working overtime so kudos to them.

Edited by fredogolfer
  • Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 3:55 PM, 18majors said:

Lydia Ko and Sean Foley; they're perfect together

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJYzcelKCa/?hl=en

Good afternoon everyone, spent the morning with my girl @lydsko. Lydia has been playing so solid, and her game is in a beautiful place. Lyds went to Houston this week to play the course the @uswomensopen next week in Houston. To ensure success at US Open it is going to require high ball flights into the green. Lyds loves to hit a slight fade and I love when she hits the ball high. So we blended the two together and above is a video and then some screen shots to allow you to see the perfect blend of geometry, physics, kinematics and kinetics needed to hit that shot. Her speed is way up which allows us to hit into the clouds. Whether you are working with a male or female player you have to treat each of them like athletes. I am so proud of the commitment that Lyds has made to getting the most out of her special gifts. Just keep showing up and wait for it to come to you. The bird never flies to the hand that is grasping for it. #kiwi #korea #special

spacer.png

I could be completely wrong,  but I think Sean is just publicly documenting things for when he's shown the door around May of next year.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

I could be completely wrong,  but I think Sean is just publicly documenting things for when he's shown the door around May of next year.

Sorry, I've to disagree.

I can't guarantee Sean will be with Lydia forever, but I'm certain Lydia will win again before the end of 2021.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Sorry, I've to disagree.

I can't guarantee Sean will be with Lydia forever, but I'm certain Lydia will win again before the end of 2021.

I would tend to agree too ... It seems improbable that Lydia will return to the lofty heights that she occupied at the apex of her career (around 2015-2017), but she really seems to be elevating her game again ... as mentioned in a previous post, swinging the club more freely without mental impediments, gaining distance off of the tee for the first time in her professional career, and if she keeps her GIRs and putting competitive with the best, then she should have plenty of opportunities to win again. 

Lydia credits Sean Foley as a huge source of this improvement ... so she seems content with the direction things are going.  Also, lets not forget that Lydia is older now and she seems far more mature than she was ... and I think she may have learned some things about herself, handling her own expectations and perhaps those of her immediate family too ... which bodes well for her.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

I would tend to agree too ... It seems improbable that Lydia will return to the lofty heights that she occupied at the apex of her career (around 2015-2017), but she really seems to be elevating her game again ... as mentioned in a previous post, swinging the club more freely without mental impediments, gaining distance off of the tee for the first time in her professional career, and if she keeps her GIRs and putting competitive with the best, then she should have plenty of opportunities to win again.

It's just one tournament, but Lydia out drove both Jessica Korda and Brooke Henderson at Pelican Women's Championship.

Lydia                  267.8 yards

Jessica              260.1 yards

Brooke               260.5 yards

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, 18majors said:

Did Ollie caddie for her?

The way Emily has been playing, Ollie may have a hard decision to make in the near future.

Why mess with a good thing?  Make bank working for world #4 major winning all around awesome person Danielle Kang, date LET money list champ multiple event winner rising superstar Emily Pedersen. 

I know Pedersen has played in the US a decent amount -- too lazy to look up how much exactly -- but I wonder if her plan is to play more on the LPGA or to stay based on the LET.  She might be the one with the hard decision...

LPGA in 2021 will look a lot like 2020 LPGA

Walmart NW Arkansas Championship moves 2021 tournament to September

"Originally scheduled for June, the event will transition to September 2021 as part of the LPGA Tour’s overall schedule adjustments for the upcoming calendar year with the goal of providing LPGA players the most opportunities to compete in 2021 as possible."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BadgerLin said:

I think it’s quite common for caddies to be in a relationship with an LPGA pro other than the pro they’re caddying for.

I wouldn't classify it as common, but it's certainly not uncommon. 

As we saw with Jerry and Karen, having a "normal" relationship when one is on the road over half the year is tough as nails. It certainly doesn't surprise me that people who travel in the same circle can form strong bonds. 💖

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0