2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

6 hours ago, postfold said:

Why mess with a good thing?  Make bank working for world #4 major winning all around awesome person Danielle Kang, date LET money list champ multiple event winner rising superstar Emily Pedersen. 

I know Pedersen has played in the US a decent amount -- too lazy to look up how much exactly -- but I wonder if her plan is to play more on the LPGA or to stay based on the LET.  She might be the one with the hard decision...

She’d probably play more on the LPGA if she could, but I think she had Symetra status at best this year and chose to play LET. 2022 is probably the earliest will see her back on LPGA full time. 

• Like 2

I certainly hope Foley isn't filling Lydia's head with garbage like "geometry, physics, kinematics and kinetics needed to hit that shot."  I'm sure she's pretty smart but he better keep that nonsense to his Instagram feed where he's trying to show people how smart HE is because it's unlikely to help his students.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sonja Henie said:

I certainly hope Foley isn't filling Lydia's head with garbage like "geometry, physics, kinematics and kinetics needed to hit that shot."  I'm sure she's pretty smart but he better keep that nonsense to his Instagram feed where he's trying to show people how smart HE is because it's unlikely to help his students.  

I'm glad someone besides me was thinking that.

• Like 1

Lydia has said Foley told her to forget everything from the last couple of years and just swing.  To me, her swing looks much more upright than recent times and her path is definitely more neutral (possibly slightly from the outside through the ball).

Seems like the strength training and swinging however you swing is a much better idea for most vs. trying to re-route everything and hit a big draw slinging it from the inside.

Maybe Spieth should actually call Foley?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, agolf1 said:

Lydia has said Foley told her to forget everything from the last couple of years and just swing.  To me, her swing looks much more upright than recent times and her path is definitely more neutral (possibly slightly from the outside through the ball).

Seems like the strength training and swinging however you swing is a much better idea for most vs. trying to re-route everything and hit a big draw slinging it from the inside.

Maybe Spieth should actually call Foley?

Definitely looks like she's improving and getting closer to contending on a regular basis.  The commentators seem to like to give her credit for gaining more distance but suggest that it has come at a cost to her driving accuracy.  Sounds like you've studied her swing pretty carefully.  Do you think she's getting closer to being not only longer but straighter than she has been over the last few years?    

1 hour ago, Sonja Henie said:

Definitely looks like she's improving and getting closer to contending on a regular basis.  The commentators seem to like to give her credit for gaining more distance but suggest that it has come at a cost to her driving accuracy.  Sounds like you've studied her swing pretty carefully.  Do you think she's getting closer to being not only longer but straighter than she has been over the last few years?    

If I told you that I was previously a weatherman, would you believe what I think is ahead?  Reporting what's happened is easy, predicting the future not so much.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure.  2018-2019 she was below average in both distance and accuracy off the tee.  All of my consulting friends have confirmed that this is the worst quadrant to be in.  So in some ways I guess there's only one way to go.  As of now, she's above average distance but accuracy has gotten slightly worse.  My guess is that she's not going to pickup any more yardage vs. where she's at now.  Maybe 2021 will be a little bit better in absolute number (they've been playing in cold weather, not many baked out fairways), but I haven't seen a lot of players (off the top of my head) that have been able to add much more than 10 yards over time (and her body / physical frame isn't going to change from here).

Net-Net, I am biased to believe "it is what it is" - she's hitting it farther but not as straight and it's not going to magically get better all of a sudden.  If she could keep the current distance rank and get to average accuracy, that would probably be a pretty good outcome.  She needs to hit just under one more fairway per round to do that.

I was never a big fan of her when she was young, but now I kind of hope she wins again soon.  Her scoring average is actually better than I thought it would be and if she can stay close to or break through 70 she should win (her short game is still very good).  Still, her game looks like that of many players these days.  If you only consider her good shots and ignore all of her bad shots, she'd win by 3 every week.  I think these type of players win once a year or so with some hot and dry spells mixed in between.  Overall, I'd be surprised if she hits 20 career wins, but maybe one win will open the floodgates given her history.

• Like 3

This is insane!

No CME sponsor invites for Sophia Popov or Jin Young Ko; both must play their way in at U.S. Women's Open

"Sophia Popov, the 2020 AIG Women’s British Open winner and World No. 1 Jin Young Ko need strong finishes this week at Champions Golf Club to earn their starts in Naples, Florida. The field at the CME was increased to 72 this year (up from 60 last year) and two sponsor exemptions were added. Those exemptions went to CME ambassador Sarah Kemp and veteran Natalie Gulbis."

• Confused 3

28 minutes ago, 18majors said:

This is insane!

No CME sponsor invites for Sophia Popov or Jin Young Ko; both must play their way in at U.S. Women's Open

"Sophia Popov, the 2020 AIG Women’s British Open winner and World No. 1 Jin Young Ko need strong finishes this week at Champions Golf Club to earn their starts in Naples, Florida. The field at the CME was increased to 72 this year (up from 60 last year) and two sponsor exemptions were added. Those exemptions went to CME ambassador Sarah Kemp and veteran Natalie Gulbis."

That was close, I was worried for a second, with the Top 72 players on the money list being more skill I was wondering what we'd do without a player finishing the event 14 over par, good thing we got Natalie there now.

The CME is a joke to me now, all the hard work you put in over the course of the year basically only gets you a late tee time on Thursday.  I've felt the graduated scoring depending on your place for the Fed Ex cup was bit gimmicky but it is way better than this.  I strongly feel those who play best over the course of an entire season should have the greatest chance of winning the BIG CHECK.

Edited by Stooch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 18majors said:

This is insane!

FFS. Natalie? 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

So, 2 questions. When did Charley Hull become single again? This is from a Q&A earlier today. She had a big wedding, was it last year or 2018? Oh well, the thing is she didn’t make it 2 years anyone know why? Though not as high profile as PC, Charley kept everything quiet while PC kept saying she didn’t want to talk about it but was always talking about it, well mentioning it.

Also, just finished a book I first read and hadn’t  since I was in 6th grade, called “Ladies of the Court: Grace and Disgrace on the Women’s Tennis Tour” which goes into a lot of topics including Martina Navratilova having a relationship with LPGA Hall of Fame golfer Sandra Haynie? Anyone remember reading or hearing about that?!Seems like 2 high profile female athletes in a relationship in the 80s would have stirred the pot but I can’t find a lot about it even on google. 

926C40FC-615F-49EE-9F9D-63021B4042AA.png

Edited by fredogolfer

On 12/10/2020 at 7:14 PM, 18majors said:

This is insane!

Wow, that’s a surprise, but they are sponsor’s exemptions and since they’re putting up the $$$ they get to choose those extra players.  Can’t argue if they want to offer their “ambassador” a spot, and I suppose Natalie gets one because she’s retiring this year and she once was a great “ambassador” for the LPGA.   (Although it seems like she’s been retired for years already).  I would like to see one of the exemptions go to Popov since she’s been playing all season and obviously would qualify except for the membership detail.   It’s harder to make a case for JYK.   I don’t see how she could be given a spot when she chose not to compete while others did come from all over to earn their way in.  Well, maybe she’ll shoot a great round tomorrow and earn her way in after all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BadgerLin said:

Wow, that’s a surprise, but they are sponsor’s exemptions and since they’re putting up the $$$ they get to choose those extra players.  Can’t argue if they want to offer their “ambassador” a spot, and I suppose Natalie gets one because she’s retiring this year and she once was a great “ambassador” for the LPGA.   (Although it seems like she’s been retired for years already).  I would like to see one of the exemptions go to Popov since she’s been playing all season and obviously would qualify except for the membership detail.   It’s harder to make a case for JYK.   I don’t see how she could be given a spot when she chose not to compete while others did come from all over to earn their way in.  Well, maybe she’ll shoot a great round tomorrow and earn her way in after all.

FedEx put up $70-80 million a year to sponsor Fed Cup; but they've never asked for sponsor invites.

What CME did by inviting players is to cheapen the effort players spend all year to achieve. 

In the worst case if they were to invite players; a world No. 1 and a Major winner would've some merits.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 4

Big if true, we'll soon get every golf stat known to man probably sponsored by Draftkings or Fanduel.  If there's market and there is golf fantasy betting is pretty big and they'll get they're players the info they need.

I use fanduel, might have to get the Draftkings account if they offer Fantasy LPGA, I've been hoping for this for year.  Tired of getting owned by MIT and Harvard grads in NBA and NFL fantasy, although LPGA golf probably won't be that different lol.

Edited by Stooch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2020 at 5:25 PM, BadgerLin said:

Natalie said she would now retire in 2021 because there weren’t crowds this year

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

It's a small field this week!

Brittany Lincicome, Anne van Dam and Maria Fernanda Torres; #71, #72 and #73, are in the field as replacements.

Rookies in the field are Yealimi Noh, Andrea Lee, Leona Maguire and Bianca Pagdanganan.

spacer.png

Only 10 Koreans!!! Obviously because many only competed in a few events. Looks like the last time there were so few was at the Drive On Championships in Toledo when only 9 competed there. 

Shane Bacon was with Fox Sports covering USGA events last year

Shane Bacon Joins GOLF Channel and NBC; Serves as Golf Today Co-Host Along With Damon Hack, Anna Whiteley and Jimmy Roberts

Golf Today to Lead Daily Conversation Across the Golf World, Drawing Upon GOLF Channel’s Roots and Representing Evolution of Morning Drive

Ha ha I was watching Brooke's pre-event presser and she was ask about a story where Brittany angered (so to speak) on the course.  She told this story of at last weeks US Open on the her Rd1 3rd hole par 3 12th (JR), that Brit had mess up the head covers on her clubs.  So, she grabbed her 7-wood and when she was just about to tee off noticed it was her 3-wood ....... oops lol.  Good thing Brit has the sister angle going on, not sure how many caddies would survive that one 🙂

I know it’s been a tough year but you’d think the LPGA would be tooting it’s  own horn this week because they made it through a season that some thought wouldn’t happen. The coverage on the website and social media is awful so far for a week that usually attempts to end the season on a high note. Sure, there won’t be an awards reception and such but you’d think they’d do something. Even Ron Sirak hasn’t written a mostly useless article with vague references from 50 years ago.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

I know it’s been a tough year but you’d think the LPGA would be tooting it’s  own horn this week because they made it through a season that some thought wouldn’t happen. The coverage on the website and social media is awful so far for a week that usually attempts to end the season on a high note. Sure, there won’t be an awards reception and such but you’d think they’d do something. Even Ron Sirak hasn’t written a mostly useless article with vague references from 50 years ago.

we may do a better job here truth be told 🙂   I'm amazed at the info we've accumulated here... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

we may do a better job here truth be told 🙂   I'm amazed at the info we've accumulated here... 

Agreed. I’m not at all impressed with their current communications team. I didn’t like Amy Rogers but she’s much better than the team now. They’d also hired a man by the name of Mark Lampert Stokes who was doing a good job IMO but he didn’t last long. 

• Like 1

This is healthy

LPGA COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER WITH 2021 TOUR SCHEDULE

NAPLES, Fla., Dec. 18, 2020 – After a year disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, 2021 is gearing up to be an incredible season for the LPGA Tour. The 2021 LPGA Tour schedule will feature 34 official events across North America, Europe and Asia, with two new events added to the tournament calendar and players competing for a record $76.45 million in official purses.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

This is healthy

LPGA COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER WITH 2021 TOUR SCHEDULE

NAPLES, Fla., Dec. 18, 2020 – After a year disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, 2021 is gearing up to be an incredible season for the LPGA Tour. The 2021 LPGA Tour schedule will feature 34 official events across North America, Europe and Asia, with two new events added to the tournament calendar and players competing for a record $76.45 million in official purses.

spacer.png

If you click the link to download the calendar, the title comes up as Tour announces ING as Connecticut tournament sponsor, so maybe, the matchplay will be in Connecticut?

If ING is indeed sponsoring an event, it joins the ranks as a premiere partner. One of the companies that has a worldwide presence and nongolf related. 

Interesting the Founders is moving away from Phoenix after that area being touted as a great market and all the work that went into having an even there. 

Edited by fredogolfer
  • Like 1

Interesting to see the tour head back to Ocala after being away for a few years. 

Like the idea of a fourth event in Europe, but I don't understand why they have a week off between the new event and the Scotland event. That's a recipe for a weak field at the new event. Players are going to cross the pond, and hang around for two weeks before playing the next two weeks. 

I'd like to see a 2nd tournament in Korea early in the season. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan pushing to retroactively award CME points to non-members who win

NAPLES, Fla. – CME points will mean a lot more starting in 2020. LPGA commissioner Mike Whan announced that starting in 2021, CME points will be used to determine a player’s status for the next season rather than the money list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1