Jump to content

2020 LPGA Season Odds and Ends


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The LPGA of Japan is very healthy; will conduct 37 tournaments in 2021 with a total purse of almost US$41.0 million

 

The highest ever prize money totaling over 4.1 billion yen Domestic women's 2021 37 games

 

The "Earth Mondamin Cup" increased by 60 million yen to a total prize money of 300 million yen (US$3.0 million), and continued the highest prize money tournament. The "Japan Women's Open," which had been reduced for only 20 years due to the corona wreck, increased by 37.5 million yen to a total of 150 million yen. "Sumitomo Life Vitality Ladies Tokai Classic" and "Fujifilm Studio Alice Women's Open" have been increased in prize money, making it a new 100 million yen tournament.

 

It will have first $3.0 million dollar women's golf tournament outside of LPGA.

I would say that's mainly the reason why Teresa Lu, Jiyai Shin, Yuka Saso etc have decided to consider the JLPGA as a good alternative given their differing individual situations (eg missed qualifying Qschool, "washed up", amount of travel/competition, etc etc etc)... even if Yuka is half Japanese, Teresa is non-Japanese etc....  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crazy year. Thanks for all the posts, @18majors. 'Definitely keeps one's eye on the subforum during an off week. Happy New Year, everyone.  

I'm spending the winter here before heading back to Chicago in March. At that time I'm going to sell my condo, buy an RV, and spend a few years traveling the U.S. and Canada playing golf, drinking bee

Wouldn't it be nice to have TV coverage on all these players, instead of only the two featured groups? I can dream, can't it?  

Posted Images

This doesn't bode well for the future of American golf

 

Behind an International rout at the Arnold Palmer Cup is a team that built a strong bond in an uncertain year

 

The Internationals led at every turn. They took a 9-to-3 lead after the first day of mixed four-ball and after two rounds of foursomes, were ahead 26.5 to 9.5. After claiming 14 of 24 points in singles, the Internationals won the event, 40.5 to 19.5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 18majors said:

This doesn't bode well for the future of American golf

 

Behind an International rout at the Arnold Palmer Cup is a team that built a strong bond in an uncertain year

 

The Internationals led at every turn. They took a 9-to-3 lead after the first day of mixed four-ball and after two rounds of foursomes, were ahead 26.5 to 9.5. After claiming 14 of 24 points in singles, the Internationals won the event, 40.5 to 19.5.

Ria Scott was a teammate of Jennifer Rosales (and Dorothy Delasin) representing the Philippine team in Golf Competitions in the past. eg Asian games etc.  Jennifer, and to some extent Dorothy, obviously carried those teams in the past.  Curious to see if Ria succeeds in becoming a coach for a more known women's collegiate program in the future.  

Edited by Supermilo
Added Rosales and Delasin for context, both winners on the LPGA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is still professional women's golf this time of the year

 

The Cactus Tour is the leading indicator that Professional Women's Golf is on the way to Stardom!

 

$10,000 up for grabs in winner-take-all for top Cactus Tour players

 

"Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona, is putting up $10,000 in a winner-take-all, 18-hole, four-player stroke play exhibition on Sunday, December 27 in the inaugural Longbow Cactus Cup Championship.

Brittany Yada won the Cactus Tour money title in 2020. She will face off against Haley Moore, Mina Harigae and Savannah Vilaubi. They will play as a foursome."

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a surprise, Jin Young Ko is skipping Diamond Resorts TOC

 

Go Jin-young, No. 1 in the female golf world, returns to Korea on the 27th.

 

"On the 26th, Ko Jin-young's management company Sema Sports said, “Go Jin-young decided not to compete in the LPGA January tournament. It is scheduled to return to Korea through Incheon International Airport on the afternoon of the 27th. However, due to the quarantine process, airport interviews are not conducted.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 18majors said:

There is still professional women's golf this time of the year

 

The Cactus Tour is the leading indicator that Professional Women's Golf is on the way to Stardom!

 

$10,000 up for grabs in winner-take-all for top Cactus Tour players

 

"Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona, is putting up $10,000 in a winner-take-all, 18-hole, four-player stroke play exhibition on Sunday, December 27 in the inaugural Longbow Cactus Cup Championship.

Brittany Yada won the Cactus Tour money title in 2020. She will face off against Haley Moore, Mina Harigae and Savannah Vilaubi. They will play as a foursome."

 

I'd actually watch this if it was televised. I worked the scorers table and my wife was tournament co-chairmen when the WAPT played at my home course this year and we had the pleasure of meeting Savannah. The next week we saw her at their next tournament and she went out of her way to come over and speak to my wife and I when she saw us during her round. And as she walked up to us, she called both us by name before we ever could ever say anything and thanked us again for our club hosting the tournament. Very impressive young lady.

Edited by North Texas
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Not a surprise, Jin Young Ko is skipping Diamond Resorts TOC

 

Go Jin-young, No. 1 in the female golf world, returns to Korea on the 27th.

 

"On the 26th, Ko Jin-young's management company Sema Sports said, “Go Jin-young decided not to compete in the LPGA January tournament. It is scheduled to return to Korea through Incheon International Airport on the afternoon of the 27th. However, due to the quarantine process, airport interviews are not conducted.”

 

I'm not surprised. There's a one month gap after the Diamond Resorts event. Can't see too many players making the trip for a one off.

 

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 18majors said:

There is still professional women's golf this time of the year

 

The Cactus Tour is the leading indicator that Professional Women's Golf is on the way to Stardom!

 

$10,000 up for grabs in winner-take-all for top Cactus Tour players

 

"Longbow Golf Club in Mesa, Arizona, is putting up $10,000 in a winner-take-all, 18-hole, four-player stroke play exhibition on Sunday, December 27 in the inaugural Longbow Cactus Cup Championship.

Brittany Yada won the Cactus Tour money title in 2020. She will face off against Haley Moore, Mina Harigae and Savannah Vilaubi. They will play as a foursome."

 

Any idea what time they tee off?

 

Also, love the uber-zoom job on the course pic. I played the course a few weeks ago.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 18majors said:

@Argonne69

 

There'll be a big tournament the next day on Monday.  My guess is Sunday's foursome will start at 9:30 AM.

 

Dec 28-30, 2020
Mon-Tue-Wed
Starts @ 9:30
Christmas Cactus Collegiate Challenge
Class of '21/'22 & College Players only
NO CADDIES/RIDERS
Limited Field
Longbow Golf Club
Mesa,AZ

 

I just called the course and they said the tee sheet is blocked off from 11:40 am until 12:30 pm. Since it's only a single foursome, I assume they want to give the players a cushion behind them.

 

I usually go hiking on Sunday mornings, but I may try to get out there and walk 18 with them.

 

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Argonne69 said:

 

I just called the course and they said the tee sheet is blocked off from 11:40 am until 12:30 pm. Since it's only a single foursome, I assume they want to give the players a cushion behind them.

 

I usually go hiking on Sunday mornings, but I may try to get out there and walk 18 with them.

 

 

 

Do you now winter in Arizona or have you permanently moved out of Chicago?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

 

I'm spending the winter here before heading back to Chicago in March. At that time I'm going to sell my condo, buy an RV, and spend a few years traveling the U.S. and Canada playing golf, drinking beer, and visiting the usual tourist attractions, e.g. national parks. Of course that depends on the pandemic situation. I was going to travel this year, but the virus derailed those plans.

 

 

Sounds fun!

 

I've been dividing my time between my Manhattan Co-Op and West Coast for a while; it's not a bad live style.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 18majors said:

Not a surprise, Jin Young Ko is skipping Diamond Resorts TOC

 

Go Jin-young, No. 1 in the female golf world, returns to Korea on the 27th.

 

"On the 26th, Ko Jin-young's management company Sema Sports said, “Go Jin-young decided not to compete in the LPGA January tournament. It is scheduled to return to Korea through Incheon International Airport on the afternoon of the 27th. However, due to the quarantine process, airport interviews are not conducted.”


I’d be very surprised if anyone not based in the US or who didn’t stick around for the holidays plays this. From what I gather the Jutanugarn sisters are back in Thailand and are in quarantine or they just really like hanging out at an apartment in Bangkok. Wouldn’t make sense to just be there for 2 weeks and then fly back. I’m sure this will be the same for many of the foreign players. However, as long as things remain steady, there should be pretty strong fields for the first few events back but will likely start to taper off as the season goes on since there is no wiggle room this season. May give some rookies or players with lower status a chance.


I’m sure the field will be 70-80% North American and European. 

Annika is working toward competing in the Senior Women’s Open. I wonder if she might make an appearance at 1-2 events during the season? 

Edited by fredogolfer
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sharrow said:

Entries for Diamond Resorts are up! 

 

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/diamond-resorts-tournament-of-champions/tournament-entries

 

Sei Young in the mix! Somehow I doubt she'll miss many events Jin Young doesn't play this season. Smart!

 

Sorry to spoil the fun!  But are you sure this isn’t the entry list for 2020 that Gaby Lopez won?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 18majors said:

 

Sorry to spoil the fun!  But are you sure this isn’t the entry list for 2020 that Gaby Lopez won?

Hmm, it does look to be the same as last year. Weird since they usually don't leave last year entries on the page like that. I'm used to waiting on it  ot being empty. Bummer, but thanks for noticing! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 18majors said:

 

Sorry to spoil the fun!  But are you sure this isn’t the entry list for 2020 that Gaby Lopez won?

Just an update, found this on the Diamond Resorts website. Looks to be up-to-date. 

 

https://golf.diamondresorts.com/players/2021-participants/?participant_type=21&last_name=

 

Annika is in the celebrity field! 

 

Here's the list from that page:

 

Marina Alex
Celine Boutier
In Gee Chun
Cydney Clanton
Austin Ernst
Ally Ewing
Shanshan Feng
Hannah Green
Georgia Hall
Nasa Hataoka
Brooke Henderson
MI Jung Hur
Eun Hee Ji
Ariya Juntanugarn
Moriya Juntanugarn
Danielle Kang
Sei Young Kim
Cheyenne Knight 
Jin Young Ko
Lydia Ko
Jessica Korda 
Nelly Korda 
Bronte Law
Minjee Lee
Mirim Lee
Jeongeun Lee6
Stacy Lewis
Brittany Lincicome
Pernilla Lindberg
Gaby Lopez
Annie Park
Hee Young Park 
Inbee Park
Sung Hyun Park 
Sophia Popov 
Mel Reid 
So Yeon Ryu 
Madeline Sagstrom 
Angela Stanford 
Jasmine Suwannapura 
Lexi Thompson 
Michelle Wie
Amy Yang
 

(I typed that so any spelling errors are mine!) 

 

Shanshan and Wie are a pleasant surprise. 

Edited by Sharrow
Add list
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sharrow said:

Just an update, found this on the Diamond Resorts website. Looks to be up-to-date. 

 

https://golf.diamondresorts.com/players/2021-participants/?participant_type=21&last_name=

 

Annika is in the celebrity field! 

 

Here's the list from that page:

 

Marina Alex
Celine Boutier
In Gee Chun
Cydney Clanton
Austin Ernst
Ally Ewing
Shanshan Feng
Hannah Green
Georgia Hall
Nasa Hataoka
Brooke Henderson
MI Jung Hur
Eun Hee Ji
Ariya Juntanugarn
Moriya Juntanugarn
Danielle Kang
Sei Young Kim
Cheyenne Knight 
Jin Young Ko
Lydia Ko
Jessica Korda 
Nelly Korda 
Bronte Law
Minjee Lee
Mirim Lee
Jeongeun Lee6
Stacy Lewis
Brittany Lincicome
Pernilla Lindberg
Gaby Lopez
Annie Park
Hee Young Park 
Inbee Park
Sung Hyun Park 
Sophia Popov 
Mel Reid 
So Yeon Ryu 
Madeline Sagstrom 
Angela Stanford 
Jasmine Suwannapura 
Lexi Thompson 
Michelle Wie
Amy Yang
 

(I typed that so any spelling errors are mine!) 

 

Shanshan and Wie are a pleasant surprise. 

 

 

This looks like an eligible list, won't be the final field.

 

We already know from a Korean report that Jin Young Ko returned to Korea yesterday and didn't plan to play this tournament.  Also, it'd be a miracle if Shanshan and Michelle show up for this tournament.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 18majors said:

 

 

This looks like an eligible list, won't be the final field.

 

We already know from a Korean report that Jin Young Ko returned to Korea yesterday and didn't plan to play this tournament.  Also, it'd be a miracle if Shanshan and Michelle show up for this tournament.

I could easily see Michelle showing up, she already stated she wants her daughter to see her play and what better way to do it at a "Tournament of Champions", plus it's a good way to see where her game is in case she decides to play more events.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

I could easily see Michelle showing up, she already stated she wants her daughter to see her play and what better way to do it at a "Tournament of Champions", plus it's a good way to see where her game is in case she decides to play more events.

 

 

Michelle Wie seriously wanted to play 2020 US Women's Open, but backed out at the last moment because she's concerned the travel and potential COVID threat to her and her daughter.

 

If anything, COVID is more serious now than two weeks ago and won't change in another 3 weeks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jin Young Ko went home without the customary airport interview due to COVID concerns

 

Jin-young Ko, 'Queen of the Prize', finishes the final LPGA match

 

"According to the quarantine process, Ko Jin-young left the home of return without a separate airport interview. After going through self-isolation for the next two weeks, it is expected to start planning a new season in earnest. According to the management company Sema Sports Marketing, it was decided not to attend the January tournament."

 

spacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm out at Longbow for the Cactus Cup Championship. I was hitting balls on the range of few stalls over from the four players. They tee off in less than an hour. Unfortunately I can only follow them for an hour or so. I'll post more photos later. 

 

spacer.png

 

  • Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 18majors said:

 

 

This looks like an eligible list, won't be the final field.

 

We already know from a Korean report that Jin Young Ko returned to Korea yesterday and didn't plan to play this tournament.  Also, it'd be a miracle if Shanshan and Michelle show up for this tournament.

Hannah Green said she wouldn't be playing and I think Minjee also. Looks like its just an eligible list

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 18majors said:

 

 

Michelle Wie seriously wanted to play 2020 US Women's Open, but backed out at the last moment because she's concerned the travel and potential COVID threat to her and her daughter.

 

If anything, COVID is more serious now than two weeks ago and won't change in another 3 weeks.  


Hopefully Michelle has seen that with proper precautions the LPGA has mitigated the situation fairly well. Also, if anyone had the resources to charter a private plane and take all the necessary precautions, it’d be her. Not sure I buy her reasoning but to each their own. New parents tend to be extra protective.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 150 replies
    • 2021 Wells Fargo - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wells Fargo - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #1
      2021 Wells Fargo - Wednesday #2
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Ping i59 irons - 2021 Wells Fargo Championship
      New Ping Glide Forged Pro wedge - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Behind the scenes on the PXG truck - 2021 Wells Fargo
      PXG Gen 4 0311 T & 0311 ST irons - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Jason Day testing a SIK putter with LA Golf shaft - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Scotty Cameron T2 putter - 2021 Wells Fargo
      KH Lee's Odyssey putter - - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Patrick Cantlay's Cameron T-5 - 2021 Wells Fargo
      Rory has the TM "Rors" protos in the bag - 2021 Wells Fargo
       
       
        • Like
      • 17 replies
    • 2021 Valspar Championship - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #8
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #9
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #10
      2021 Valspar Championship - Tuesday #11
       
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      Bettinardi putters - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Axis 1 Proto - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Jimmy Walker "testing" a LA Golf proto putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
      Scotty Cameron putter - 2021 Valspar Championship
       
      • 17 replies
    • Post in Ping 2021 Irons
      Victor has i59 in the bag this week!
        • Thanks
        • Like
    • 2021 RBC Heritage - discussions and links
      Please post any questions and comments here.
       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       

       
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #1
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #2
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #3
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #4
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #5
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #6
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #7
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #8
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #9
      2021 RBC Heritage - Tuesday #10
       
       

       
      Custom Cameron putters - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Bettinardi putter - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Robert Streb's custom stamped Vokey wedge - 2021 RBC Heritage
      Ben An's custom stamped Vokey - 2021 RBC Heritage
      • 17 replies

×
×
  • Create New...