2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rapsodo MLM Experience

On 3/17/2021 at 2:01 PM, LHGolf4 said:

I had one and hitting into a net the distances seemed to be fairly accurate.  However it does not produce a flight path obviously because it hit the net.  So when I took it out to the range a couple of times I was less than impressed.  It missed several shots (and I verified each time I was lined up correctly and was the correct distance away) and even got an email from them saying hey we noticed we missed some shots since it uses the microphone to pick up the shot.  I sent it back and got a Skytrack.  I have a shaded area in the back yard where I setup the net that allows me to use it outside with no problems (as I really did not care to use it on the range).  

Are you guys aware that Rapsodo make all of the tech inside the Skytrak ?

I am very well aware of that.  But the Rapsodo costs less and has less features as a result.  When I took it to the range when it would pick up the shot the data seemed accurate.  However it missed a lot of shots (and I verified I was lined up correctly).  My SkyTrak is not perfect, it probably misses one out of 25 shots.  I think for what it costs it a decent device, but it does not work well for my practice area.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, Pinky5 said:

Kinda disappointed to hear that it doesn't provide spin rates. I feel like that's a pretty important metric. Does the Mevo do that? For this price range are these two units the best?

Yes it does, but it only provides 2D image of your shot so you don't get lateral data.  I was about to buy a Mevo, but not being able to see my flight path was a deal breaker.  While I'd like the spin data, flight path is much more important to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger on the Rapsodo last night.  Since I don't own any apple products, now I need to get one - I think I'll go with an ipad.  Couple of questions regarding the use of the ipad with the Rapsodo...

1. Would the ipad mini be the ideal size or does it really matter?  I'm afraid of getting something too big that falls over or doesn't stay on the stand.

2. I plan to connect the ipad to my phone's hotspot.  Will this work so that I get a GPS signal?  I assume that I don't need cell coverage on the ipad, correct?  I'm confused because the specs on the new ipad mini says that GPS is not enabled.

• Like 1

After more research, I found out the answer to my first question that I'll post here in case anyone else comes by wondering the same thing.  Essentially, the iPad mini is not the best option.

The MLM will work on an iPhone or iPad display. Here are the minimum requirements: MLM Outdoor mode is currently compatible with these devices: iPhone 6s and up, iPad 2017 onward models. The MLM Net feature is currently compatible with these devices: iPhone 8 and up, iPad models Pro (11”) 2nd Gen, iPad Pro (12.9”) 3rd Gen, iPad Pro (12.9”) 4th Gen, and iPad Air 4th Gen.

For those of us without iphones, this sort of stinks because I want one of the ipads that will work with the Rapsodo inside and outside.  That means a more expensive ipad is needed, in the neighborhood of $500 and up.  So now, between the cost of the Rapsodo and iPad, I'm in for about $1,100.  

Edited by theorangeman

On 4/30/2021 at 3:55 PM, theorangeman said:

I pulled the trigger on the Rapsodo last night.  Since I don't own any apple products, now I need to get one - I think I'll go with an ipad.  Couple of questions regarding the use of the ipad with the Rapsodo...

1. Would the ipad mini be the ideal size or does it really matter?  I'm afraid of getting something too big that falls over or doesn't stay on the stand.

2. I plan to connect the ipad to my phone's hotspot.  Will this work so that I get a GPS signal?  I assume that I don't need cell coverage on the ipad, correct?  I'm confused because the specs on the new ipad mini says that GPS is not enabled.

hi, i had the exact same questions and used the rapsodo twice . So let me help you! I returned it after those tests cause I was tired of using my iPad.

1. i have an ipad air 4. be careful with the wind. It knocks your ipad from the Rapsodo!! Without wind I had no problems.

2. Hotspot does NOT share a gps signal. I know those myths exist on the internet. Trust me, it does not! Nonetheless you don‘t need wifi nor GPS. GPS is useful so the App knows where you are and you just have to aim down the range (your target line). If you have no GPS you can still search on the world map (opened up by Rapsodo) your actual location. Although there is no search included. You have to find your spot manually. 

To sync your shots (in Rapsodos cloud) you need an internet connection. So either connect your phone‘s internet via hotspot (drains even more battery) or wait for your home wifi. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed because I didn't want to have to spend $ on top of the expense of the Rapsodo.  However, I don't own any apple products.  I was initially excited that my wife just got an ipad from work that I can use and my dad gave me his old iPhone 6.  However, neither of those devices are compatible with indoor, which is my setup.  Now I have to think about whether to invest $600 in an iPad that is compatible indoors or abort.  Not sure what I'm going to do but am also considering just going with a Mevo+ which will provide better stats and accuracy and not force me to get an ipad.  It is another $1,000 out of my pocket though so it will be a difficult decision.  

Anyone else feel like golf has them by the nuts?  The more I play, the more I feel like I need to play and practice more.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:01 PM, theorangeman said:

Anyone else feel like golf has them by the nuts?  The more I play, the more I feel like I need to play and practice more.

Someone asked George Carlin how cocaine made him feel. He said, "It makes me feel like I want more cocaine". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does this still work decently with yellow balls?  My range has yellow practice balls, I just want to make sure there aren't consistent issues picking them up.  I'm looking for a low-cost launch monitor, and debating between the Mevo & Rapsodo.  I'm in Canada, and the rapsodo is about $300 cheaper despite the fact they're both $500USD units.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, amace04 said:

Does this still work decently with yellow balls?  My range has yellow practice balls, I just want to make sure there aren't consistent issues picking them up.  I'm looking for a low-cost launch monitor, and debating between the Mevo & Rapsodo.  I'm in Canada, and the rapsodo is about $300 cheaper despite the fact they're both $500USD units.

Yes. Never had an issue with it picking up yellow balls.

Can you take this out on the course and plot/record your round?

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Does anyone turn off their phone data usage while using this?  If so, do you just lose the GPS mapping function?  

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 70g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, carrier street said:

So I got one of these, and I'm one of the people getting super low distances in net mode. It's so universal, to me the issue is clearly that whatever assumptions are built into the software work for one set of launch conditions, and not for another. Has Rapsodo ever actually addressed what the problem is, or just said "We're working on it"? Like, if I'm wrong, is it a lighting issue in my setup or background etc.?

For the record, like other people here I set it up with a tape measure and a level and have adjusted both distances with no change in results.

Did you get any resolution to this? I am getting the same. Repositioned, lighting, nothing works. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2021 at 9:33 AM, DONNYWOOD said:

Did you get any resolution to this? I am getting the same. Repositioned, lighting, nothing works. 

I could not get this thing to work in net mode regardless of what I tried. All the suggestions on GOLFwrx and other place on the internet did not work.

I tried to get it to work for over a month. I finally got fed up and sold it for 30% of what I paid.
So fed up with the issues-just quit using i-was the worst investment for trying to improve my golf games.

Not cool Rapsodo-Not cool!

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

On 6/1/2021 at 3:26 AM, amace04 said:

The range I use my Rapsodo with uses yellow balls and it works fine.  Once in a while you'll find a white ball from the ball machine that someone hooked into the range from the 10th hole and it doesn't seem to make a difference in terms of reading the ball's flight.

Overall, I would give this a solid review. Not a perfect 10/10 but maybe like a 7ish.

Some things I don't like: 
- Set up overall is kind of a pain. Maybe I'm just a dummy, but especially tough on a grass range with different targets left/right. I have to constantly adjust the thing to get the alignment path, ball in the "area" etc. It's obviously much easier on a mat where I can hit every shot from the same spot. I'm not sure how much moving a bit closer/farther away may change the reading but so far I haven't seen any big issues (I guess that is a plus).

- Have to buy the membership to get the apex feature. I don't even care about it that much, but seems odd that a metric is an upgrade feature. Extra storage, lessons, etc. - totally makes sense to me that you pay a subscription fee for that. But a feature?

- It does miss some shots. Some are completely missed (don't register) and sometimes I get weird readings (like 200 ball speed - I wish!). Also, it picks up the ball path of people next to me on the range. That's not that big of a deal to me, but still happens.

- Phone is out of commission - this could be solved with me buying an iPad, etc. but that's another chunk of change. I guess most people have an iPad nowadays, and could set up one for Rapsodo, and one for video, music, etc.

- Would appreciate some better stats tracking - such as seeing a chart of total driving distances, swing speeds, etc. Right now you can only view stats by practice session (unless I'm missing something)

Some things I do like:
- App interface is great - pretty simple and easy to use. Can review shots, etc. 

- It's small and portable - flip it open and turn the app on.

- Cost. Mine was free (thanks Jake Hutt) but not a huge commitment. 

- Readings seem pretty good, when they are picked up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thatbaseballguy22 said:

- Set up overall is kind of a pain. Maybe I'm just a dummy, but especially tough on a grass range with different targets left/right. I have to constantly adjust the thing to get the alignment path, ball in the "area" etc. It's obviously much easier on a mat where I can hit every shot from the same spot. I'm not sure how much moving a bit closer/farther away may change the reading but so far I haven't seen any big issues (I guess that is a plus).

Same experience.  When setting up, I just pick a line I want to aim to the entire time regardless of club choice so I don't need to adjust the unit.  Luckily my range isn't too busy when I go, so I can pick a stall where multiple yardage markers line up, so I still get the visual confirmation of how far my ball is actually landing in relation to the range markers.

- It does miss some shots. Some are completely missed (don't register) and sometimes I get weird readings (like 200 ball speed - I wish!). Also, it picks up the ball path of people next to me on the range. That's not that big of a deal to me, but still happens.

I get the same.  The good thing is that when it's off, it's so easy to identify that you can just ignore it, and easily find it later to delete from your stats.  It's a $500 LM though, so I find this "acceptable".

- Would appreciate some better stats tracking - such as seeing a chart of total driving distances, swing speeds, etc. Right now you can only view stats by practice session (unless I'm missing something)

You can view your average stats over different time periods in the "Stats" tab of the "Home" section of the app.  It limits you to last week, month, 3 months, 6 months, year, or lifetime.  But it only lets you view the averages, and not compare one specific session to another.  I emailed Rapsodo to see if this could be a feature added, especially for those who pay the annual subscription.  Basically to be able to select any session and not just see the averages of the sessions combined, but to compare the averages of the sessions themselves in one screen.  Currently I'm capturing all this data and entering it into excel to be able to do the comparisons and filters I want.

Overall, I give it a 9.  Lets be real, you're not going to get spin (or accurate spin) in a $500 PLM right now.  It's like asking why a $30 flip phone can't run all the same apps as a $700 smart phone.  But in the end, it does give pretty accurate distance readings that gives decent feedback.  Of course you can't use this to do a professional fitting, but if you recorded 20 shots hitting one club, and 20 shots hitting another club, you would have at least enough credible data to see if the average distance and dispersion was significantly different.

The form factor is also nice in that it fits in your bag is compatible with many chargers using USB-C.  At the range, it's small enough to put in my pocket in the event I need to run to the bathroom or go buy another bucket of balls.  

There are many other launch monitors that have more data metrics, work better indoors, and also have more features but you get what you pay for.  I'd certainly love a GC quad, or maybe the Bushnell/Foresight to get really solid data, but it's just not happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else have trouble after the "free trial" subscription expired? All metrics dropped of a cliff for me. It's less accurate on the range now. Missing more shots and it loads sessions slowly, if at all, afterwards. Takes days sometimes. I don't know about the last 100 shots as it's all over the map on what it will show me at home. Says something to the effect of " url currently not loading, try again later" but I'm not sure it ever even loads those up.

I'm interested in my most recent sessions for the most part. I'm sure data from 6 months ago could be helpful but at least provide accurate info for the last 100 shots as advertised. Have to say it's quite disappointing and so scattered when it does work, it's hard to trust what it's saying at all. Completely different experience from the first month. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought one a while ago and used it for the first time yesterday, it was very impressive and is perfect for my needs.

I use Android phones so bought a cheap iPhone 8 which worked fine except from the smart club recognition.

So I started an email discussion with Rapsodo support which revealed a few things:

To have smart club recognition work you need an iPhone XS or later.

I asked about Android and this was the response:

We are working on Android availability and prioritizing it. Our main focus is on accuracy and want it to meet our standards as we have on all iOS devices. Android compatibility will be an ongoing development as we will release compatibility with select devices first and roll out more as we develop.

Unfortunately, we cannot give a firm timeline for this, we had to push back most of our plans due to covid restrictions. Thank you for understanding.

Peter T

On 10/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, DLiver said:

Anyone have a problem with their screen going dim while using the MLM outside. After about 15 minutes, by iPhone screen goes so dim I have trouble reading the info on the display. I used to think it was heat related, but it happens in cool weather as well.

It's heat related in terms of the phone getting hot from the video processing and constant data connection.