Rapsodo MLM Experience

gblack414

On 4/25/2022 at 11:15 AM, Cmart050 said:

I posted this is another thread but this one see,so to get more attention..

my distances and ball speeds are about 20-25% lower than they should be. Other people have had 5is problem across multiple forums, but no one has posted a solution. Is there? I can’t believe we all spent nearly half a grand on this thing and would be ok with it just being completely off. 

Yeah I've compared my Rapsodo to Top Tracer at the driving range and I got similar numbers, but I've also had numbers almost the same so I don't know what's going on. I'm guessing for $500 that's the nature of the beast, I know from a Technology freak friend you can't make a cheap device and expect it to perform as good as $20-40k devices...

19 minutes ago, Crn50 said:

Yeah I've compared my Rapsodo to Top Tracer at the driving range and I got similar numbers, but I've also had numbers almost the same so I don't know what's going on. I'm guessing for $500 that's the nature of the beast, I know from a Technology freak friend you can't make a cheap device and expect it to perform as good as $20-40k devices...

Shouldn't the question be, "Can this $500 device do what I need it to do?" rather than, "Can this $500 device perform as good as $20K devices"? 

My Camry doesn't have to perform like a Formula One car but it does need to be reliable enough that I can count on it to make a 4-hour drive to the beach and back at 70mph when I go on vacation. 

My question would be is the Rapsodo MLM a Camry-level launch monitor. From everything I've seen and read the answer is "not quite", same for all the other $500-$600 personal launch monitor products at present. To me that category of devices is still a generation or two away from giving information I'd trust for actually working on my golf swing, gapping my clubs, etc. 

They will usually give fairly repeatable results that are convincing enough to use as a sim. But not really close to reliably distinguishing small differences in ball flight, shot shape and distances from swing to swing. Too many approximations, interpolations and algorithmic estimations of values that aren't actually being measured. 

Edited by North Butte

10 hours ago, North Butte said:

My Camry doesn't have to perform like a Formula One car but it does need to be reliable enough that I can count on it to make a 4-hour drive to the beach and back at 70mph when I go on vacation. 

Yeah back in the day my Camry took me anywhere I wanted to go, did it do in the same comfort as my Mercedes does now NO way, you get what you pay for mate. The one thing that Rapsodo does that the Top tracer doesn’t do is video of every shot, and that’s actually of more use to me than all the mathematical numbers that I doubt are 100% accurate as me and my friends debate lol…

35 minutes ago, Crn50 said:

Yeah back in the day my Camry took me anywhere I wanted to go, did it do in the same comfort as my Mercedes does now NO way, you get what you pay for mate. The one thing that Rapsodo does that the Top tracer doesn’t do is video of every shot, and that’s actually of more use to me than all the mathematical numbers that I doubt are 100% accurate as me and my friends debate lol…

Yeah, I briefly tried a Mevo and the numbers were crap unless you could somehow get it perfectly square and level and the right height and distance behind the ball (impossible to do out on the golf course). But I really liked how it would trigger my iPhone to take a short video capture of my swing. Still it was too expensive just as a phone-video trigger!

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

Yeah, I briefly tried a Mevo and the numbers were crap unless you could somehow get it perfectly square and level and the right height and distance behind the ball (impossible to do out on the golf course). But I really liked how it would trigger my iPhone to take a short video capture of my swing. Still it was too expensive just as a phone-video trigger!

Watching the video helped me because I could SEE the video of my swing which is quite different to what I imagined it was, the guys at the range said add 20% to the Rapsodo numbers which is rubbish because I can't carry my ball 240 meters. Maybe in the right conditions it might run out to that distance if I hit it perfect hahahaha

On 4/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, North Butte said:

Shouldn't the question be, "Can this $500 device do what I need it to do?" rather than, "Can this $500 device perform as good as $20K devices"? 

My question would be is the Rapsodo MLM a Camry-level launch monitor. From everything I've seen and read the answer is "not quite", same for all the other $500-$600 personal launch monitor products at present. To me that category of devices is still a generation or two away from giving information I'd trust for actually working on my golf swing, gapping my clubs, etc. 

They will usually give fairly repeatable results that are convincing enough to use as a sim. But not really close to reliably distinguishing small differences in ball flight, shot shape and distances from swing to swing. Too many approximations, interpolations and algorithmic estimations of values that aren't actually being measured. 

Except when Rapsodo itself is marketing their product as within 2% of a $20,000 Trackman.

SIM 2 Max 10/5*
Epic Flash SZ 15*

SpeedZone 19*
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend
SM7 52*
MD4 58*
Spider Tour CS

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the MLM for just over a year now.  Overall I like it.  I am now trying it out with a net.  Usually ok, but maybe I need more light.  Or need to move the MLM further back from the tee.  At exactly 6 feet back, my iPhone 13 Pro doesn't quite fit me in the frame...unless there's some zoom setting in the app for the video that I haven't discovered yet.  I like to see what I did or didn't do after my shots.  Would setting it 7 or 8 feet back impact the doppler readings?

I wish it would work as just a swing speed machine as well (without hitting a ball).

Full Bag / Half set                                                         

D - Ping G400 Max                                                     

2W - Taylormade 300 Mini Driver 

FW - Callaway V Series Heavenwood                            

Utilities - Callaway Apex UW 19, G425 4H               

5i-PW / 6i, 9i - Ping Zing 2                                        

SW - Ping Zing 2 BeCu SW2                                     

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60                                        

P - Pixl T1.8 or Wilson 8802                                        
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Titleist Premium Carry        

1 hour ago, stuman74 said:

I have had the MLM for just over a year now.  Overall I like it.  I am now trying it out with a net.  Usually ok, but maybe I need more light.  Or need to move the MLM further back from the tee.  At exactly 6 feet back, my iPhone 13 Pro doesn't quite fit me in the frame...unless there's some zoom setting in the app for the video that I haven't discovered yet.  I like to see what I did or didn't do after my shots.  Would setting it 7 or 8 feet back impact the doppler readings?

@stuman74 yeah I had the same issues with mine, I found the mlm works better sitting on the case it's stored in. Plus I don't sit it directly behind the ball but about 12inches away from the ball and fiddle with directions to get body and swing in the video, it surprised me just seeing my swing because that was so different to what I felt it was. It's worth the money just to see how your hitting the ball, you can use the slow mo to see impact a few other positions in the swing...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crn50 said:

@stuman74 yeah I had the same issues with mine, I found the mlm works better sitting on the case it's stored in. Plus I don't sit it directly behind the ball but about 12inches away from the ball and fiddle with directions to get body and swing in the video, it surprised me just seeing my swing because that was so different to what I felt it was. It's worth the money just to see how your hitting the ball, you can use the slow mo to see impact a few other positions in the swing...

I often do the same at my local range.  Their mat is pretty thick and the asphalt behind it has a slight downhill so the angled case is a perfect prop-up.  For flat surfaces, I have 3 little cut foam mats sized about the same as the case that I can stack as needed depending on the mat thickness.

58 minutes ago, stuman74 said:

I often do the same at my local range.  Their mat is pretty thick and the asphalt behind it has a slight downhill so the angled case is a perfect prop-up.  For flat surfaces, I have 3 little cut foam mats sized about the same as the case that I can stack as needed depending on the mat thickness.

Yeah good idea with cutout mats, I've attached my swing video what do you think?

1 hour ago, Crn50 said:

Yeah good idea with cutout mats, I've attached my swing video what do you think?

6-8 feet has been plenty of space for me into a net. I don’t  use anything to prop it up and ball sits on a ~1-inch thick hitting mat. 

I could be wrong, but it seems like you don’t have the device aiming down your target line. My recordings are always straight on and yours looks to be angled to the right. Use the guide on the app screen to make sure the target line goes where you’re aiming, between your feet and the ball. 

6 hours ago, zap311 said:

My recordings are always straight on and yours looks to be angled to the right. Use the guide on the app screen to make sure the target line goes where you’re aiming, between your feet and the ball. 

Your right, but I'm more interested in seeing my swing at the moment. I aim down the ball line usually but the app tells me if I'm left right or straight when I'm Checking out my swing..

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone by chance used an iPad Mini 6 5G tablet propped up on the Rapsodo?  I use my iPhone 13 Pro, but just got this Mini 6 iPad and was wondering if there are any benefits to performance (camera ability, view, etc).  Obviously larger screen, but I've had no issues viewing my iPhone.  Might look goofy with the size and hopefully stable enough propped up on the Rapsodo.  Thanks.

On 6/4/2022 at 1:04 AM, stuman74 said:

Has anyone by chance used an iPad Mini 6 5G tablet propped up on the Rapsodo?  I use my iPhone 13 Pro, but just got this Mini 6 iPad and was wondering if there are any benefits to performance (camera ability, view, etc).  Obviously larger screen, but I've had no issues viewing my iPhone.  Might look goofy with the size and hopefully stable enough propped up on the Rapsodo.  Thanks.

At my course it's very windy at times so bigger device will blow over easy, I'm thinking of making a box on 12inch legs to the Rapsodo and my iPhone from the elements...

On 6/10/2022 at 9:19 PM, Crn50 said:

At my course it's very windy at times so bigger device will blow over easy, I'm thinking of making a box on 12inch legs to the Rapsodo and my iPhone from the elements...

The box idea might help with overheating I get in the full sun, tried an umbrella which is fine until the wind blows.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My honeymoon period with Rapsodo is officially over. It’s been a fun device to use, but I am disappointed with its utility on the driving range. 

I set it up correctly today and captured most shots, but since my public course’s range balls are so awful, the distances and launch angle are not that helpful. It’s hard to rely on beat-up range balls, some of which are visibly damaged. I suppose if I was a member at a club with better range balls, then this would not be as much of an issue. 

I still like it for hitting into a net at home, but I’ve also wondered if it’s worth getting the Garmin R10 if for that purpose only. 

Anyone else have low confidence in your data on the driving range?

Edited by zap311

4 hours ago, zap311 said:

My honeymoon period with Rapsodo is officially over. It’s been a fun device to use, but I am disappointed with its utility on the driving range. 

I set it up correctly today and captured most shots, but since my public course’s range balls are so awful, the distances and launch angle are not that helpful. It’s hard to rely on beat-up range balls, some of which are visibly damaged. I suppose if I was a member at a club with better range balls, then this would not be as much of an issue. 

I still like it for hitting into a net at home, but I’ve also wondered if it’s worth getting the Garmin R10 if for that purpose only. 

Anyone else have low confidence in your data on the driving range?

I would at least take it to a decent range, ideally with Toptracer, and compare numbers there. Pointless with rubbish balls really. 

I ran some numbers on the accuracy of the R10, see below. Conclusion was it's good.... but I'm not convinced in terms of direction / shot shape that it's going to give you a noticeable improvement over the Rapsodo when hitting into a net. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hammersia said:

I would at least take it to a decent range, ideally with Toptracer, and compare numbers there. Pointless with rubbish balls really. 

I ran some numbers on the accuracy of the R10, see below. Conclusion was it's good.... but I'm not convinced in terms of direction / shot shape that it's going to give you a noticeable improvement over the Rapsodo when hitting into a net. 

Thanks for the reply! I read your notes on the R10 and I appreciated your thorough statistical analysis. It sounds like a solid device, but not necessarily more accurate than the Rapsodo. 

I have a Top Tracer range near me, so I may try to do a test there.  At a minimum, it would be nice to know what factor to apply to my numbers when hitting range balls (i.e. 10% less carry on avg).

2 hours ago, zap311 said:

Thanks for the reply! I read your notes on the R10 and I appreciated your thorough statistical analysis. It sounds like a solid device, but not necessarily more accurate than the Rapsodo. 

I have a Top Tracer range near me, so I may try to do a test there.  At a minimum, it would be nice to know what factor to apply to my numbers when hitting range balls (i.e. 10% less carry on avg).

There is a setting on Top Tracer that pops up on the top right of the screen that shows whether "ball normalisation" is applied to correct the distances of range balls. I can't see a way to change this, seems to be something the range administrator decides on. 

You may have to laser a few targets to get confidence in your testing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 8:58 AM, zap311 said:

Has anyone tried the Rapsodo Combines feature that they released for Premium users? I can't tell if it would make the range more fun, like Toptracer30, or if it's more so to assess skill level. 

I’ve thought about premium but I’m ok with the feedback on the free setup, went to a different range today and Rapsodo wouldn’t connect and I tried other apps that worked fine. No idea why but will ask Rapsodo, maybe the data on my iPhone was weak…

• 3 months later...