Taylormade SIM hybrid?

Video of Rory discussing the new SIM line. Go to the 6:00 mark to hear him talk about the SIM Max hybrid.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5
TaylorMade P770 3-5 Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 52 & 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade MySpider X Black
Taylormade TP5

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rory put the hybrid in play so not sure where the disconnect is?

Well however the conversation went it ended up in his bag so it doesn't matter. For a while at the start of a new season Dustin used to have TM's latest and greatest irons in the bag or a tournament

Looking at the specs I see that a left handed 5 hybrid is listed. That would be awesome if it's true. They did finally come back with a 7 wood last year after not making one since the RBZ line.

How long it has been since TM made a lefty 5 hybrid? Maybe the Burner Rescue from 10 years ago? I don't know why I'm getting my hopes up. It's probably a typo.

Driver: Cobra F9 @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 18 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

The original intent for the SIM Hybrid was not the tour player! It was made for everybody else. TM always has new equipment tested by all types including Tour players to see what kind of results the new clubs can do at all levels of play. That isn't unusual. What is unusual is when something clicks for a tour player and that has happened before so this wouldn't be unheard of if one or more decide to use on certain courses or conditions as an optional tool in the tool box. So let's see what happens.

What might be as rare or more so, will the SIM Max Rescue make it into my bag. The oldest clubs in my bag are my Utilities/Hybrids (both are set up to NOT be hook clubs). One is from 2006 which is the Cleveland HiBore Hybrid which looks like the more recent TM Lines at address amazingly 14 years later. My "younger" hybrid is a RBZ Stage 2 from 2013. I am receiving one of the new SIM Max Rescues tomorrow for testing. So let's see. I am sorting thru several shafts to try with it.

In the bag: Playing --- SIM TaylorMade driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM SIM (set @ 16*) with Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. 5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X (set @18.5*). HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S.,  RBZ-2 Tour 5 w/Fuji MCH 80-S alternates with SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9S,  Irons TM M-3 4i bent to 5i, loft TM P760 6-9,PW all w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW-TM Hi Toe 56* 4-way grind bent to 54* w/Modus 105-S, LW- TM Hi-Toe 60 C-grind Tour only custom grind raw face Grind bent to 59* w/NS Pro 950GH-S, Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype. Ball TaylorMade TP5X.
 Alternates in the Hybrids and 4-i depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I have been playing the SLDR hybrid more or less since it came out. I’ve tried others but always come back to old trusty. I’ve think I’ve got 2 or 3 new in plastic backup heads in the garage. It just does everything I want and it’s extremely dependable.

Curious for sure. But hybrids to me aren’t distance clubs. They need to fill specific distance gaps, fly specific trajectories and be consistently reliable.

IMHO - hybrids and wedges are absolutely where the chase ought be about reliability rather than more distance.

My $0.02

Ping G410 LST 9* Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SZ Tour 14* Diamana DF 60X
SLDR 19* Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8X
JPX-921F (4-P) Modus3 105X
Vokey 50F, 54S, 58D Modus3 120X
Cameron 009M 1.5

I have a similar situation in that I have two 19 degree hybrids, a TM original RBZ complete with idiot marks that I cannot get out of the bag. My backup is a Cleveland Black. I prefer glued hosels, especially on hybrids. The SIM hybrid looks good though from the pix. Tempting maybe in a year when they are half their release price.

If you prefer bonded heads (glued in) then from what I experienced today this may be the one. I received my shafts today and was able to hit dozens of on course shots this afternoon. I shared it with a couple of friends (good players, but not scratch. This was set up for me specifically. But it was amazing how many good to excellent shots there were almost every shot was solid. Scary actually, Probably a little magic involved. But none the less, the others were calling to get their own. One has already ordered the 3 and the 4 as of tonight.

In the bag: Playing --- SIM TaylorMade driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM SIM (set @ 16*) with Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. 5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X (set @18.5*). HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S.,  RBZ-2 Tour 5 w/Fuji MCH 80-S alternates with SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9S,  Irons TM M-3 4i bent to 5i, loft TM P760 6-9,PW all w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW-TM Hi Toe 56* 4-way grind bent to 54* w/Modus 105-S, LW- TM Hi-Toe 60 C-grind Tour only custom grind raw face Grind bent to 59* w/NS Pro 950GH-S, Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype. Ball TaylorMade TP5X.
 Alternates in the Hybrids and 4-i depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

No full Velocore Hybrid shaft yet. Fujikura shipped me an Atmos 8-S Tour Spec HB for my #3 today when I asked them (they know me and my game) what I should try in this club. I hit dozens of shots this afternoon on course (we had the run of the course) with this club from all kind of conditions. The only tweak needed for me is that I have to flatten the lie by 2*. I hit virtually every shot solid throughout. Really amazing combination. It worked pretty well with my friends that I shared it with also. I am a Ventus convert since the beginning. But very inpressed with this Atmos HB.

So I got to hit the SIM range at Golf Mart today. ProV1x on q GCQuad. Hit a few 7 irons with my own clubs and I’d say the distances were pretty spot on.

the SIM hybrid was insane. They only had the Ventus 8s model, i usually play an X.

having just hit the drivers like crap I gave the 3i a few swings - purely because of the Rory/DJ chatter about them. First swing I tried to really just hit a smooth one. 247 carry, dead straight... for reference I hit a 7i 170.

next was 250 then 247 then 255. All pretty dam straight, high. Spinning around 3000-3300 slight cut. I cut a hybrid...! I went to the P790UDI becuase every hybrid I hit went big left.

really really like this club. TM are offering 50% extra trade in on any club for any SIM range purchase fyi. Got a Toulon H7 I’m hating and could basically straight swap. Tempting.

only negative is the no up charge shafts are basically not in X. They have $50 upgrade on the Tensei HY White as the only semi decent option. I could go ventus and tip and inch but it’s not the heaviest shaft ever. So really I’d say this seems like a custom fit option if you have a HY shaft you like, the stock models are all just a little crap. And of course try e ventus is a “ventus” not the real version

Driver: G400 Max - Xtorsion
FW: G400 Diamana D+ TX
TM P790 UDI - KBS Proto X
Titleist 718 CB - Accra 125i 
Vokey SM7 50/54/58 Accra 125i
Toulon Vegas Stroke Lab

Got to hit the SIM Hybrid as part of a fitting yesterday. I've never been able to hit Hybrids so I'm far from an expert, but this club was an absolute cannon. I'm a fairly short hitter (8 iron 150) and was carrying the 3i version 215-220 consistently with a huge ball flight. I would have potentially ordered one, but as ever with hybrids I found that I couldn't control my misses. However it was comfortably the best I tested and I went through pretty much all the major options available.

Ended up going for the U510 iron from Titleist which gave me similar numbers, but with more control. SIM really reminded me of the original taylormade rescue from a few years ago, suspect it will be a real hit for Taylormade.

Have hit the sim hybrid during two different sessions now. I dont get along with it. Hit my 20 degree Apex further than the 19 degree SIM. might be a shaft issue. Head doesnt feel abnormally hot though.

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

Just went to my local shop to try out the SIM hybrid vs my 818H2 and walked out pre ordering the SIM. Sound/feel is fantastic and the height was great on it. Surprised myself that the stock shaft worked out so well. Great club for anyone on the fence. It’s the 19* and is going to play as my 220 club. Plenty of stopping power going into greens and has the right combo of descent angle and spin that I like. Plus a little more forgiving than my 818H2

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9° | Tensei AV Raw White 65S

Titleist TSi3 16.5º | Tensei AV Raw White 75S
Titleist 818H2 21º | Atmos HB TS Blue 8S
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

Toulon Las Vegas H7 | Stability Tour
Titleist ProV1x

Still feel like it's a marketing hoax..

We will see 21.2 when the 1st WGC tournament of the year begins, if they are still in the bag..

Cobra SpeedZone 10,5° Tensei 50gram S 48" / Taylormade SIM MAX 18° Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70 6.0 / Ping G410 Crossover 21°Hzrdus Smoke 90 6.0 / Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 105S / Ping Glide3.0 52/56° PingZ / Ping Glide Forged 60° DG TI S400 / Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12,5 33,5"Stability Tour Shaft / Bridgestone Tour B XS

Are you guys gaming this yet? Do you find it to be at all draw biased? I see that 60* is listed as stock lie for the 3h and we all know tolerances exist... With no neck sleeve, no weight adjustment at all, I'm pretty scared of seeing slightly more upright lies, especially when you notice almost all the other big OEMs going flatter.

I think face angle matters more than lie for a 3 or 4h, but I still am a little concerned. I wonder if the tour guys who did consider bagging it end up with flatter versions or faces that are more open.

• Like 1

SIM Max 9* | Ventus Black 6x

SIM Ti 19* | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Cobra Speedzone 18.5* | Accra FX 2.0 380M5

Titleist 818H1 | Ventus blue 10x

i210 5-PW | X100 Tour Issue

Ping Glide 3.0 50/12, 54/12 | S400 Tour Issue

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60/10 | S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Cleveland SOFT Premier #4 (Compass Golf Co. Custom Atwood incoming!!)

ProV1x

Haven’t got mine in yet to put in play to give feedback. But in my fit didn’t see anything over cooking to the left like most hybrids do for me. Now I can definitely hook it if I wanted to but it’s not draw bias. It’s just straight @Z1ggy16

Titleist ProV1x

I think also others haven’t mentioned either is that the lie angles on these can be bent +/- 2* which I’m sure helps with the left miss

Titleist ProV1x