Taylormade SIM hybrid?

I picked one of these up with the trade in bonus as I had a bunch of generally harder to sell for good value clubs (putter and wedges) and figured I'd try it as I hit it indoors and liked the look and feel. I got it with my trusty Tensei Pro White 90TX and ordered it .25" short as I was worried about the lie angle being too upright and hoping slightly shorter would reduce the effective lie a tad.

I finally got out to hit it up against my TS2 which is the same exact loft, length and shaft but 2-3 degrees flatter lie angle.

Pros:

-Super easy to elevate, very forgiving, high flight and good amount of spin. Looks and feels great.

Cons:

-Sorry, guys but this thing is 100% draw biased for me and wants to go left all day long. It's probably due to the lie angle and not any kind of weighting which is why some people won't notice it. If you are tall, play your irons upright or naturally have an inside out swing, it will probably be fine. If you are shorter, flatter swing or natural drawer of the ball (like me) you are likely to see a sweeping left miss often. I just do not have that exaggerated shot shape or miss with the TS2 so my only conclusion is that it's the club.

That said, I do actually like it better than the TS2 as the good shots are awesome. I found that tinkering with ball position really helped the dispersion and am thinking it may be nice to have a club that I know can go right to left with ease. I'm going to keep it for a bit longer and if it doesn't end up working out will probably switch to a 5 or 7 wood or juiced up 3 iron.

Tsi3 9* Ventus Black 6S
TSi2 13.5*  Tensei Pro White 70tx
SIM 5 wood Tensei White 70x
PING G410 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
PING Glide 3.0 50, 56ss
TW11 60
Newport 2 

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rory put the hybrid in play so not sure where the disconnect is?

Well however the conversation went it ended up in his bag so it doesn't matter. For a while at the start of a new season Dustin used to have TM's latest and greatest irons in the bag or a tournament

Great to hear. I received my hybrid last week and I ordered the exact same setup. Will hopefully be able to get outside finally in the next week or two.

TaylorMade SIM 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5
TaylorMade P770 3-5 Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 6-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 52 & 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade MySpider X Black
Taylormade TP5

Hmmm, maybe I should have ordered it -.5" instead of -.25", haha. I got out again yesterday and found that with the absolute perfect ball position, I hit it fairly straight. I have to very consciously stand closer to the ball and make sure it's not too far forward. It's a very fine margin, here as well. Any slight deviation from that and I hook it. When I get it right, it's great. I know that is a general thing you have to do with hybrids, but I never had to do it so consciously with my older ones (Apex, TS2, H1). At any rate, I have mostly figured it out on the range, and will have to see if I can do it on the course.

Tsi3 9* Ventus Black 6S
TSi2 13.5*  Tensei Pro White 70tx
SIM 5 wood Tensei White 70x
PING G410 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
PING Glide 3.0 50, 56ss
TW11 60
Newport 2 

Trottie has a pic on his Instagram today of a sim Rescue in the bending blocks.

Taylormade Sim 10.5 GD AD IZ 7X 

Taylormade Sim TI 15 GD AD DI 7X

Taylormade Sim TI 19 GD AD DI 7X

Taylormade SIm Max HYB 22 Fuji Pro 2.0 8x

Taylormade P790 5-PW KBS Tour FLT 120S

Taylormade MG2 50 54 TT S200

Taylormade Hi Toe 58 KBS $ Taper Black (S)

Taylormade Spider Tour Stability Shaft 34 Inches

Taylormade TP5X 

Quick update to bump this thread back up the line....

I’ve got the 22* with stock Ventus stiff shaft (no upgrades etc here in Australia)

Good club, not in love with mine yet... but confident I’ll grow to adore it.

Had a Mizuno CLK 19* dialed to 20* previously. This thing goes much the same distance with a higher ball flight. Perfect for me.

Mine never goes right, but in saying that I’ve not tried fading it on course yet. Contrary to earlier posts here I find it hooks easily with a poor swing. That’s my miss.

• 1 month later...

How is everyone still liking the SIM hybrid? Just got one off of BST and going to put it up against a G410 and 818H2

Titleist TSi3 9° | Tensei AV Raw White 65S

TBD | Tensei AV Raw White 75S
Titleist 818H2 21º | Atmos HB TS Blue 8S
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having my TM fitting this Thursday, I asked for them to fit me for FW and Hybrids. I did not like the stock Ventus shaft and I am hoping to find a custom shaft that suits me. Were you able to get your hybrid bent or not? Or by custom club fitter?

For your info, I play my irons at 1* flat.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff

TM SIM 15 & 19 Diamana 75 stiff

TM SIM Max 7 wood Diamana 75 stiff

Adams A12 26* w/GD UT 95 x-stiff

TM P7MB 6-PW Modus 120 stiff

MG2 54 & 60

2Ball 45" putter

Haven't been a huge hybrid fan looks like I need to go try this one though.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Yes I got it bend slightly open and 2 * flat.

In the bag: Playing --- SIM TaylorMade driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM SIM (set @ 16*) with Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. 5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X (set @18.5*). HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S.,  RBZ-2 Tour 5 w/Fuji MCH 80-S alternates with SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9S,  Irons TM M-3 4i bent to 5i, loft TM P760 6-9,PW all w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW-TM Hi Toe 56* 4-way grind bent to 54* w/Modus 105-S, LW- TM Hi-Toe 60 C-grind Tour only custom grind raw face Grind bent to 59* w/NS Pro 950GH-S, Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype. Ball TaylorMade TP5X.
 Alternates in the Hybrids and 4-i depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Thanks, after today's fitting I ordered SIM Ti 3 and 5 wood with Diamana 75 stiff and SIM Max 22 with Smoke HY 80 stiff at 1/2" short. I did like the P760 with Modus 120 stiff but might wait until later.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff

TM SIM 15 & 19 Diamana 75 stiff

TM SIM Max 7 wood Diamana 75 stiff

Adams A12 26* w/GD UT 95 x-stiff

TM P7MB 6-PW Modus 120 stiff

MG2 54 & 60

2Ball 45" putter

Ordered mine directly from TM with Pro white -.5". Came in light at D1.5. I need to add something to the head...too light for me

Taylormade Sim 10.5* Diamana DF 60

Callaway XR 15* Diamana B70 

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* Fuji 904HB

Adams DHY 21* Fuji 904HB

Srixon 765 5-AW Modus 120X

Callaway MD C-grind 58*

Odyssey WHP #2

Interesting. I just added to my rotation (I alternate a couple of clubs depending on the part of the country, course and conditions) a SIM 5 Wd set at 18.5* with a Fuji Ventus Velocore and the SIM Max #4 set at 21.5* (and 1.3* open face) with a Fuji Atmos Black HB Tour Spec 9S (I hit it super high with great control and solid distance).

• Like 1

In the bag: Playing --- SIM TaylorMade driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM SIM (set @ 16*) with Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. 5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X (set @18.5*). HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S.,  RBZ-2 Tour 5 w/Fuji MCH 80-S alternates with SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9S,  Irons TM M-3 4i bent to 5i, loft TM P760 6-9,PW all w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW-TM Hi Toe 56* 4-way grind bent to 54* w/Modus 105-S, LW- TM Hi-Toe 60 C-grind Tour only custom grind raw face Grind bent to 59* w/NS Pro 950GH-S, Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype. Ball TaylorMade TP5X.
 Alternates in the Hybrids and 4-i depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Has anyone who plays the hzrdus smoke in their driver tried one in this hybrid and liked it? I'm looking to get a hybrid that doesn't go as far left as my current steelhead xr, and saw that you can get the hzrdus shaft for no up charge.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade M6 

3w: Taylormade 2016 M2

5w: Taylormade 2017 M2

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 4i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

I have it in my 19* rescue. Amazing hybrid shaft. Low/mid launch and a great flat trajectory. I historically miss left with hybrids but in 10+ rounds with this, I haven’t missed one left. Hzrdus smoke in driver was a no go for me but in the hybrid is great.

Sim Max 9* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Rocket 14* Fujikura Speeder TR 757x 

Tour Issued Sim Ti 18.2* Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8x

New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG Tour Issue x100

Mizuno T20 Raw 50/10, 55/8,  59/6 DG Tour Issue s400

EVNROLL ER2B 

I can’t decide between the Sim or the PXG?

Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
Nike 006 Rory Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
TP5x Pix

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I had the 3 Max bent flat. But my DIstances are too close to the 5 wd. The #4 Max came from the tour dept. I requested that loft. They just send me the heads. My shafts come from Fujikura. Interestingly when I sent the #3 for bending, they removed the shaft to bend it and then replaced it.

I got a SIM 3 Hybrid fitted with the new Nippon GOST shaft at 40 inches and D4 swingweight i can do anything with it.. high, low, draw, fade its super consistent love it

Ping G425 9 LST Diamana BF 60 TX
Taylormade SIM MAX 14 Fuji Pro 73X
Taylormade SIM MAX 3H Nippon GOST X
4 - PW Miura TC201 PX LZ 6.5 

Cleveland RTX 4 50, 54, 58 S400 TI

Custom Scotty Phantom 7.5 Stability Shaft
Bridgestone Tour B X 

I got the 3 with the stock stiff Ventus. Only hit it off the tee twice yesterday. 2 nice draws that went 241 and 239. That's a good 4 wood for me. Sound and feel were nice/pleasant. Looking forward to seeing how it performs in the rough and off the fairway. May get the 4 or 5 if the 3 only works off the tee. I am impressed with the distance and flight I got on those 2 tee balls. Took nice normal swing and did not try to kill it. I hit the 3 off the range mats and was pleased with the flight, but need to work it out on the course.