Colorado WRX 2020

pseudoswede

Had my first foray into Littleton golf yesterday (besides Arrowhead, which has a Littleton address). Not sure why I haven't played any of the courses in the 6 years I've been living out here. But I played the front 9 of The Meadows after work. Really liked the layout a lot. Was even par through 7, and then a ton of rain hit and made things a bit wonky. Finished +3 in the last 2 holes for a 39. But I'll take it.

My tee shot on number 8. It had been raining for a few minutes before the green cleared. It really picked up as we were walking to the green. Near downpour while chipping & putting. Slowed up for our tee shots on 9, and by the time we hit the fairway on 9, the rain had stopped. Was wild. I got soaked, but it felt great. Now I really wanna get back out and play the full course. And also check out Raccoon Creek and Deer Creek as well.

• Like 1

Meadows is a good value course. Raccoon Creek is somewhat overpriced--although they have this brutal par 3 which is long and 100% carry over water. Deer Creek is only good if you can find a dirt cheap rate for it.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

The classic place where you have to make sure you take advantage of every opportunity to play. It is also a classic place that you don't call up to see if you can get on. They will always get you on, BUT you have to have a room ($400+?) and then pay the $300 or $375 green fee :)

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Don't forget laying out $$$ for their Sunday brunch.

Putts break towards the Will Rogers Shrine I believe.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Damn it was windy today. Hitting 2-3 clubs up and still being short is deflating.

CommonGround was very ... strange.

They told you to not touch the flagsticks, but there was nothing in the cups to prevent the ball from falling to the bottom of the cup.

That, and rakes in all bunkers.

Caddies are obviously not allowed to carry bags anymore, so they assign two per group as forecaddies.

So after playing the Broadmoor last week, I then got to play the Irish Course at Whistling Straits yesterday. What a absolutely fantastic golf course and facility. We chose not to play the Straits course as my buddy didn't want to pay what they are charging, but at $230 (we walked and didn't take a caddy), the Irish seems like an absolute steal of a deal. My wife and I also at dinner over at the Blackwolf Run clubhouse and got to see a bunch of the holes of both the courses there. I'm already planning a trip back to play the other courses (and hopefully the Irish again). Since this was more of a getaway with my wife, one round was all I could get away with. Oh and I also get to play Cog Hill No. 4 tomorrow...it's been quite the run of courses I'm getting to play

View from the first tee:

img-0979.jpgView walking up 9 (with the Pete Dye railroad ties, of course):

img-0980.jpgThis is the view from next to the 12th tee box. That's the Straits course and Lake Michigan of course. It's just incredible.

img-0981-jpg.jpg

• Like 2

Wife and I are looking for a quick getaway for a couple days. She was looking at Garden of the Gods.

Does anyone have any experience with the place? We really don’t know anything about it, what there is to do or see.

Also, the golf course listed with it is Kissing Camels. I haven’t ever heard anything about the course. But they want like $170 for green fees.

Hey all - checking in from the Western Slope.

I actually don't get commissions from them but still want to shout out for all to hear that Battlement Mesa has greens that I would put up against the best clubs in the state. Been playing there, Glenwood Springs Golf Club (the Hill) and River Valley Ranch mostly this year as they are the most walk-able around here (can't walk at Ironbridge and Rifle isn't too conducive on the back 9). The HIll and RVR are in good shape too - but the greens at Battlement are so good I mostly gravitate there.

Anyone heading over from the front range for the Western Chapter Championship at Tiara Rado next weekend?

• Like 1

Been gone a long time from here, thought I'd check it out and see what's going on. I came across this post and had to laugh. Also got a good laugh for the post on the 6-putt on number 5. That green is awful, but I did drive it earlier this year and managed to birdie it. That will never happen again!So your the one I'm always fighting for on Thursday tee times ;)

I started organizing a neighborhood group on Thursdays when South Suburban opened back up. No one is all that good, but it's a good time, organizing some fun formats. Then we hang out in the parking lot drinking beers and even grilling every so often, so you've likely seen us :). I haven't been able to play the last few weeks since we've been out of town, but they kept it going which was cool.

I got out to Highlands Ranch/DU yesterday and played great, shooting a 76, after starting bogey bogey and losing a ball. It was nice to see that I can actually play cause my game hasn't been very good the last month or so.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

And I agree that Jerry Walters is great. I did a putting clinic a few years ago with him and he really helped me. Great personality too.

As for Valley, if I could justify the price and the drive, I'd join there. I really like the course overall.

Edel E-1

I'm back! And that was definitely a great time. I think we shot a 53 (thanks to Joel and his crazy long drives over the tallest of trees lol), and still managed to lose by 1. Didn't think that would happen! Unfortunately, this year is canceled.

Edel E-1

Haha. We try to snag the 4:30/4:40/4:50 time slots every Thursday night (we also know the guys who have a long-standing 4:20 tee time). We've been filling up all 12 spots pretty quickly. My guess you are the ones who sneak under us and grab the 5:00 & 5:10? Some of our group likes to eat inside the clubhouse, the rest of us hang out on the patio or on the stairs with beers.

The past two weeks we've been playing at The Meadows. I forgot how fun of a course that is. The fairways (and tees) are rock hard, which helped me drive #6 tonight. It's also a great deal at $23 if you want a quick 9 after work.

Yep, we try to grab the 500, 510, and sometimes the 520. We ran three groups for a few weeks, but that was getting hard to fill with people taking trips or camping. Unfortunately, when I snagged the 500 and 510 tee times for next week, I completely forgot that I'll be out of town. Oh well :(

Meadows is fun for sure. We played there last fall when crazy weather rolled in - super windy, heavy rain, and lightning. I was determined to finish cause I had a decent round going, but had to call it on the 15th as the lightning and rain was a bit too intense. I kinda felt like the BIshop in Caddyshack

• Like 1

Edel E-1

Is your wife looking for a full-service resort kind of vacation? If not, I would rather head up into the mountains (Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs).

Its been a while since I’ve checked in... The Mrs. had surgery a while back and had some significant issues with recovery, so I’ve been totally away from golf since before this COVID nonsense ramped up. Thankful to say that things have turned around, she’s back to feeling well again, and I’m finally able to get back to doing things besides playing nurse.

ive got my first round since January lined up for Sunday morning. We’ve got a 9:18 tee time at Colorado National. I’ve never played there before... anyone have an opinion as to if it’s walkable or not?

• Like 1

Glad to see you back. Have been wondering what you have been up too. Sorry to hear about the Mrs. but very glad to know she is doing better.

On walking CN....it is "walkable" but not an easy one. The last few times I have played there a few in the group walked the course (jumped on the back of cart for the space between some of the holes) but they were spent at the end of the round. It is a big course, best way I can explain it. Has up and downs through out and there is distance between some of the holes so would not say an "easy walk" Its a pretty good track and seems like you use all the clubs in your bag on it.

Side note, a friend played it in early July and said it was not in the best of shape?? Not sure if anyone else has played it lately as that was a month ago.

A few long transitions between holes, but you shouldn't have any issues with it. They didn't come out of winter in the best shape and if I'm remembering correctly on July 4th weekend I think it was CN that had both a drunk driver driving on one hole and getting their car stuck on a rock and a homeowner caused a fire with some fireworks.

Yes it was CN: Due to a homeowner shooting off fireworks, we had a brush fire near #9 green that had to be extinguished by the Fire Department. Also, a drunk driver drove his vehicle on the course, causing damage and ultimately ending up with his car high centered on the tee marker rock on Hole #6.

Locally, I've been fit at GolfTec, D'Lance, and Club Champion. GolfTec was a long time ago and I was just starting out golfing so my opinion likely isn't relevant. D'Lance does good work but they're expensive, and I felt like I was pressured to use them. I have bought a driver through then though. I really enjoyed my time at Club Champion. No pressure during the fitting process or even after whatsoever. I have a write up on here for probably 3 years ago on it. The feedback from members here, particularly Joel, made me wish I better understood the process and things to look out for. Nonetheless, I'd recommend either D'Lance or CC, but do a bit of homework beforehand so you can help guide the process, if need be.

Edel E-1

Tracked down my old post. I linked it to the thread instead of the post itself since there is some good commentary/feedback after the point (as well as on the first few pages of the year) - https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1424742/colorado-wrx-2017/p9

You may not know who Joelness is, but pay attention to his posts. He is a super genuine/nice/fun guy, understands the game of golf and equipment really well, and has more game than most of us combined. His advice is spot on and I would trust his recommendations fully. He had aspirations of trying to go pro years back. Playing with him is a treat...and humbling lol.

Edel E-1