Colorado WRX 2020

pseudoswede

I'll toss in Brian Gott (who fits out at Green Valley Ranch) as well. I did my iron fitting with him a few months ago and liked the process a lot. I also like that you hit the ball outside onto the range, and then you can take the clubs out on the grass to see how the turf interaction is.

Dan Weitzel is another good option. While I've never been fit through him, he gets a ton of praise (at least used to) and wants to make sure you get what you need rather than making a buck. I've had a couple conversations with him, albeit a long time ago, but I like his philosophy overall. iirc, it's not all about numbers with him - he wants to make sure you like the feel, ball flight, etc. He'll loan you a club to allow you the chance to hit it outdoors to make sure it works for you (CC offered me the same, mostly). Dan also offers a club/bag assessment and provide you from valuable feedback free of charge. One guy on wrx, flew in from vegas and visited him and got the same treatment as anyone else despite not living here - he even tried to pay him for his time and Dan wouldn't take it. Again this was probably 4 years ago, but I'd be surprised if his approach is any different.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Only downside to Brian's setup is he doesn't carry all the brands (Ping comes to mind) so if you to try a certain club, you may be out of luck. He does have a huge selection of clubs and brands, and certainly has all the shaft options, but if you really want to hit something in particular, just make sure he has it.

Since it's being discussed...

I am not the typical fitter that has demo carts of equipment that will allow you to try a bunch of different heads and shafts from different manufacturers. What I can do for golfers is take whatever you bring to me and make it work more optimally for you. I have not officially "hung out my shingle" as a fitter, but I have developed a protocol to help a golfer find the optimal weight and weight balance distribution that will maximize your center-strike accuracy while maintaining the highest possible swing speed. This is a MOI/MBI fitting for those that may be familiar with that approach. I am confident that I can take pretty much anything (within reason) and rebuild it to give it a new better life in your bag. I only do this work part-time and usually do a few set rebuilds a week.

If you're interested in seeing how the weight distribution (MBI) and overall MOI of a club impacts your swing, you know where to find me. :)

• Like 1

Testing the (new) old software.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Just click on the star next to the topic.

57 minutes ago, Noodler said:

Played Highland Meadows up in Windsor.  A very interesting, crazy, and strategic track.  Well worth the ride up North.  Shot +1 through 14 holes.  We won't talk about #17 and #18.  ?

How were the overall course conditions? I haven't played there this season (or much of anywhere honestly), but my son and I hit the putting green regularly there.

46 minutes ago, Golfing Boiler said:

How were the overall course conditions? I haven't played there this season (or much of anywhere honestly), but my son and I hit the putting green regularly there.

Other than the middle of the fairway on #1, everything was in pretty nice shape.  Lots of forced carries over interesting terrain.  Even got my first eagle of the season on the par 5 15th hole.

3 hours ago, Noodler said:

Other than the middle of the fairway on #1, everything was in pretty nice shape.  Lots of forced carries over interesting terrain.  Even got my first eagle of the season on the par 5 15th hole.

I wonder if they have a serious irrigation issue on 1 fairway that would require them to dig it up, because it's been bad for over a year now. Seems like they should have been able to grow seed and fix that by now unless there was some other underlying issue.

Shot a 38 at Fox Hollow Meadows 9 last night. Jacob, Noodler, and seven dewey have all seen the (bleep)show that is my off-the-tee game. I guess what made last night different was that I didn't have a chip shot until #9. I had a GIR on 7 of 9 holes (and only because I dumped my drives 100 yards into the junk on the other two holes). I also only had 16 putts, which included a three putt.

• Like 1

Got to play TPC Colorado on Friday and I loved it. It's gonna be a gorgeous community when it's all said and done!

• Like 3

Driver: G400 LST 8.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

Fairway: G400 14.5* Ping Tour XStiff 75

Hybrid: G410 19* Ping Tour XStiff 85

Irons: i200 4-UW Dynamic Gold x100 Midsize grips +1 1/2" White Dot 

Wedges: Vokey SM7 54* and 58* +1 1/2" 2* upright Midsize grips

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport

Ball: Pro V1

Been away from the thread/site a bit. Just on and off randomly. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather (heat....) and playing well. I got the email thread from Law / Tim and I would of loved to play but sadly I have not been able to play for near two months. Last rounds were end of June at PC / Wildhorse.  The following weekend I did a poker run at Rampart Range and got taken out by a four wheeler.  Jacked up my right elbow which was already an issue.  Injured it prior racing when younger and the latest issue required micro surgery......also made me realize I need to slow down  ?    (* or give up motorcycles)

Was given clearance to do sh*t again a few weeks ago, so hit the range the last two weekends.  Not pretty LOL.  Now trying to get my swing back but changing it up to reduce stress to the joint.

So now looking for a good instructor to help as everything feels foreign right now.  Any recommendations welcome.  

I need someone who will understand I am not able to release fully/extend like you normally have to.  I can fully extend but it makes me cringe at times and I know it will just lead back to the same prior issues.Working on getting more "compact" in the swing,  Oddly the swing I think of when I think more "compact" is Paul Casey.   Not sure if that makes sense or not?

Edited by CDM

Played Saddleback for the first time yesterday.  Fun course to play, I enjoyed it.  After starting bogey-double-bogey, I went +1 the rest of the way (3 bogeys, 2 birdies) for a nice 77.  My double was a result of shanking a wedge OB ?‍♂️ Oh well.  It's a silly game we play.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Played Saddleback for the first time yesterday.  Fun course to play, I enjoyed it.  After starting bogey-double-bogey, I went +1 the rest of the way (3 bogeys, 2 birdies) for a nice 77.  My double was a result of shanking a wedge OB ?‍♂️ Oh well.  It's a silly game we play.  

I played Saddleback a few times last season.  It's a fun track with some holes that require "strategery".  ?   I remember that the high grass off to the sides was "lost ball city".  It was the kind of rough that had everyone hitting lots of provisionals because there was very little chance of finding balls in that stuff.

• Like 1

Anyone been out to Todd Creek lately? I have a time there tomorrow morning but I haven't been out in a long time. Can't believe they want $83! I remember playin there for 40 or 50 years ago. I hope the conditions have improved consistent with the price.

On another note, I am getting sick of not being able to play on a weekend unless you book 5-7 days in advance! I live about 45 minutes from Todd Creek but couldn't find anything else on Thursday afternoon. Grow the game I guess....

If you regularly play in 20+ mph winds, you need to try out either the OnCore Elixir or Vero X1. I figured it was marketing bs, but I've seen it now multiple times where their balls just don't move as much as others in strong winds. Was playing again today at TPC Colorado and it cost me a couple strokes due to aiming too far into the wind before I realized I didn't need to worry about the wind as much as my playing partners on the cross wind shots.

Good shout dancin on the aeration.  Brett sorry to hear about the elbow man. Injuries suck! Hope everyone's golf season has been going well. 

I've had a pretty mundane golf season outside of a couple trips. I've been playing really well in the casual rounds with friends and then seem to not put anything together in our "tournaments". Played Murphy Creek on Friday and Bear Dance on Saturday. Both courses were in pretty good shape and had a lot of fun playing away from highlands ranch a bit. My wife is out of town so I'm doing the kid thing this weekend and then heading to Wildhorse the following weekend to wrap up the main part of my golfing season with a bang!

Birdies to all!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Thanks Krushh.  Going to play first round since end of June today at Aurora Hills.  Not sure why they picked AH (?) .... think there is a qualifier or event coming up there??  See how it goes, more so feels.

Dancin. Agree 100% the OnCore Elixir is a great ball in the wind. Played them for the first time at Common Ground at the beginning of the season with Ivtrain and McCourtney and had a putting fest with them  =). Love the feel on short chips and putting.   All around great ball.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDM said:

Thanks Krushh.  Going to play first round since end of June today at Aurora Hills.  Not sure why they picked AH (?) .... think there is a qualifier or event coming up there??  See how it goes, more so feels.

Dancin. Agree 100% the OnCore Elixir is a great ball in the wind. Played them for the first time at Common Ground at the beginning of the season with Ivtrain and McCourtney and had a putting fest with them  =). Love the feel on short chips and putting.   All around great ball.   

I got a sleeve of the Elixir and Vero X1 (new, slightly firmer 4 piece version of the 3 piece Elixir with a little more spin on wedges) in an event I was playing in earlier this year and I love the Vero X1. I haven't tried the Elixir yet so great to hear that one is good too.

14 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Checked tee times for tomorrow and noticed 3pm was available at the new City Park course and booked myself. There are still 2 other spots available if anyone wants to join me.

I played it yesterday for the First Tee fundraiser.  They did a really nice job, in my opinion.  Some of the holes are pretty similar, especially on the front 9, but the back 9 is very different.  Greens were very fast but not stupidly sloped like the original ones.  They greens are big and have several tiers that make them fun to play.  The new creek that runs through the back presents some challenges on tee shots and picking a line.  There's a lot of undulation and hitting into elevated greens.  I'd suggest clubbing up on most approaches, seems like most of our approaches came up short (although there was a breeze yesterday that I think was stronger than we gave it credit for, so maybe that was the problem).  Clubhouse is awesome as is the new practice area.   

• Like 1

Heading to San Diego next month, and am planning to play Torrey Pines South. Hoping it's worth the $252 price tag ?

Anyone know if the North course is worth the $167 they're asking? 

Any other courses to consider?

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1