2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2020

pseudoswede

On 11/10/2020 at 8:50 AM, CDM said:

Hope everyone is well.

Question has anyone played the following courses in Phoenix?  Raven Golf Club, Golf Club of Estrella or Ak Chin Southern Dunes?   

Might go down in after Thanksgiving and do a complete fitting. Figure knock out a few rounds while their.  Mainly before we all go back on lock down 😃 and Southwest has flights RT for $90 right now....!!!

Been 3 years+ on the gear, but more so the changes I made in my swing recently to my elbow issues figured might as well get a complete reset for the coming year.  2021 has to be a better year for all of us LOL 

The courses are just the closest relative to the fitter I am looking at.  I have played a number of the tracks in the area but thought I would hit some up I have not played.  There are few others I would like to hit but some are haul....

When I went down a few years ago (it had been 10 years since I had been there) to play three rounds I told myself to play all new courses.  I played Southern Dunes the first day. If I hadn’t had a game lined up with a WRX’er the second day I would have played there the second day too. I ended up going back again on day three. When I went next year with a group, SD was by the favorite out of the seven we played. 

Along with Pasatiempo, Southern Dunes is my favorite course. 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:00 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

When I went down a few years ago (it had been 10 years since I had been there) to play three rounds I told myself to play all new courses.  I played Southern Dunes the first day. If I hadn’t had a game lined up with a WRX’er the second day I would have played there the second day too. I ended up going back again on day three. When I went next year with a group, SD was by the favorite out of the seven we played. 

Along with Pasatiempo, Southern Dunes is my favorite course. 

Southern Dunes rules. There's nothing more to know. It's every bit worth the drive from just about anywhere in the valley.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, hoselpalooza said:

Cool video! Always nice to see a little bit more about Denver's place in golf history. I knew Palmer won at Cherry Hills, but haven't seen much of the course for obvious reasons. I always try to peek over the fence as much as I can whenever driving by. I'm guessing their won't ever be another PGA event there though. I have heard it's way too short for current players. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ALi3 said:

Cool video! Always nice to see a little bit more about Denver's place in golf history. I knew Palmer won at Cherry Hills, but haven't seen much of the course for obvious reasons. I always try to peek over the fence as much as I can whenever driving by. I'm guessing their won't ever be another PGA event there though. I have heard it's way too short for current players. 

In 2014 they held the BMW Championship (Fedex cup event).   Played pretty tough given its shorter length.   

Winner was Billy Horschel at -14 under and he was on fire during that run.  Limited field given FEDEX event so 70 players in the field and 35 (half) were over par.  

Played it many times and it can play brutally tough depending on green speeds / and how they set up the course.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDM said:

In 2014 they held the BMW Championship (Fedex cup event).   Played pretty tough given its shorter length.   

Winner was Billy Horschel at -14 under and he was on fire during that run.  Limited field given FEDEX event so 70 players in the field and 35 (half) were over par.  

Played it many times and it can play brutally tough depending on green speeds / and how they set up the course.  

Just went and looked at a few highlights of the tournament. It held up better against tour pros than I would have guessed. Also, a little segment of driving the first green with the equipment Palmer used. I was surprised that no one really came close, even Rory was almost 50 yards short. I always thought Cherry Hills logo was one of the best. Super simple and identifiable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ALi3 said:

glad you liked it, thanks!

here's another one with a bit more history mixed in: 

and if you find yourself with an hour to kill and want to see a bit more of the course, here's a video of mickelson at cherry hills winning his only USGA tournament to date: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ALi3 said:

Was able to play Friday at 4 Mile Ranch this last week. Definitely surprised at how good their conditions were, considering it was almost snowing as we pulled into the springs. Might be one of the few spots to play this late into the year consistently. Although, it's definitely a drive for some. 

What were the green speeds like? Throughout most of the spring and summer they were really slow I assume because they used to rely on volunteers and weren't able to have them this year so maintenance wasn't being done as often. If their green speeds are anywhere near approaching what we usually see around Denver, that would be awesome. 4 Mile is the go to course for when we're snowed in in Denver.

1 hour ago, Gmcourtney said:

Hopefully we don’t get much snow with this weather that’s supposed to come thru tonight.

I’ve got a twosome at Commonground Sunday morning at 10, assuming the course is open, if anyone is interested in joining.  

I'll join you for that if you haven't filled it yet. Gonna be close on whether we can play or not.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, CDM said:

I was fortunate enough to go that year. Definitely a gorgeous course. Watching so many of the pros going for the green in 2 on 17 was nuts to me.

I would love to play there one day. I've bid on a couple auctions to play there, but always got priced out. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Pretty surprised that the snow hasn't melted yet. It's been warm-ish ever since our last storm.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

2 hours ago, thaar said:

I was fortunate enough to go that year. Definitely a gorgeous course. Watching so many of the pros going for the green in 2 on 17 was nuts to me.

I would love to play there one day. I've bid on a couple auctions to play there, but always got priced out. 

Fortunate to play it many times with a client that sadly moved to Montana now..... should of never taken him fishing LOL.

The conditions are excellent as you would expect, but the course, personal of course, but I did not think it was that special.  Greens can be brutal if in the wrong place. Besides the normal conditions play, I played before the BMW and the US Women's open.  

The rough was soooo thick/tough is was crazy, on some holes they had forecaddies for the people playing as if it rolled in the rough you may not find it and you could standing there watching it go in.  The greens are pretty fast in normal conditions, but once they firmed them up and upped the speed  it was crazy putting on some of the slopes they have, Hole 10 being brutal with side slope if you did not stay on the left side which rolls off anyway.

As nice as it is, again personal, I don't think it would be course I would want to play all the time.  Great course but not one that I was say I loved.

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2020 at 9:25 PM, Dancin said:

What were the green speeds like? Throughout most of the spring and summer they were really slow I assume because they used to rely on volunteers and weren't able to have them this year so maintenance wasn't being done as often. If their green speeds are anywhere near approaching what we usually see around Denver, that would be awesome. 4 Mile is the go to course for when we're snowed in in Denver.

Green speeds were pretty average to slow. Nothing I didn't think they were bad, but they definitely weren't quick. I wasn't too worried whenever I was on the wrong side of the green. Hope that helps. 

does anyone have tips for gloves or glove care up here? back in the PNW gloves seemed to last me forever (e.g. 6 mo or more for each pair!!) as long as i rotated through a few pairs and kept them in their original packaging. but at altitude all of my gloves seemed to have become ridiculously fragile no matter how much i baby them! 

e: footjoy flx contour (and rain gloves, of course) were my go to back in PNW. now the contour get super brittle and tear very easily. 😞

Edited by hoselpalooza
words

I've never had brittle issues with any gloves I use. A lot of times, I let them sit in the sun when possible while on the course because they get sweaty. I believe I picked up a bunch of FJ FLX gloves from PGATSS a few years ago (something like $7 each on clearance). I think I've averaged going through one glove per season.

Ironically, I do remember having brittle glove issues growing up in hot & humid Kentucky.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

does anyone have tips for gloves or glove care up here? back in the PNW gloves seemed to last me forever (e.g. 6 mo or more for each pair!!) as long as i rotated through a few pairs and kept them in their original packaging. but at altitude all of my gloves seemed to have become ridiculously fragile no matter how much i baby them! 

e: footjoy flx contour (and rain gloves, of course) were my go to back in PNW. now the contour get super brittle and tear very easily. 😞

Don't leave them hanging attached outside your bag. The UV light from being closer to the sun destroys everything in CO. Flatten and place inside the bag when done. Switch to cheaper gloves (Costco Kirkland signature leather gloves are excellent and $5)

• Like 1

@pseudoswede& @Dancin, thanks for your comments, guys. i'm very good about putting gloves right back in their packaging as soon as i'm finished with them so maybe it's just this particular model of glove? anyway, i'll try your recommendations. price point is much better even if they last the same amount of time, and i'd be happy for that at this point! 👌 👌 👌

I just stick my glove on that velcro bit on the outside of the bag. That said, my clubs are stored in my garage if I'm not playing.

DSG had a 2 for $22 sale on the FJ FLX gloves, so my kids are getting me that for Christmas. (Yet, the kids are getting a $800 gaming computer. hmm) We'll see how they hold up this upcoming season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

I just stick my glove on that velcro bit on the outside of the bag. That said, my clubs are stored in my garage if I'm not playing.

DSG had a 2 for $22 sale on the FJ FLX gloves, so my kids are getting me that for Christmas. (Yet, the kids are getting a $800 gaming computer. hmm) We'll see how they hold up this upcoming season.

if nothing else works i guess there's always pine tar or rock climbing chalk 🤷‍♂️😂

9 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Funny how that works 😃     

Thanks on the DSG price note, will swing by the DSG by my house and grab a few at that price.

You guys are way better with your gloves than I am 😂. I shove my ball washer pocket thing, tees, repair tool and glove in a pocket without thinking. You guys are so diligent to carefully put it back in the package lol.

• Haha 2

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Hot tip: I use the small, square plastic container in the front to store all tees, ball markers, divot repair tools, and those half-size Sharpies in my bag. Makes it so much easier to find stuff instead of rooting around in the pocket.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pruta-food-container-set-of-17-clear-green-60149673/

PRUTA Food container, set of 17, clear/green

Fun fact: "pruta" is Swedish slang for fart. 😄 (And, of course, "fart" means speed.)

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Hot tip: I use the small, square plastic container in the front to store all tees, ball markers, divot repair tools, and those half-size Sharpies in my bag. Makes it so much easier to find stuff instead of rooting around in the pocket.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pruta-food-container-set-of-17-clear-green-60149673/

Fun fact: "pruta" is Swedish slang for fart. 😄 (And, of course, "fart" means speed.)

this is a great idea! getting stabbed by loose tees and divot repair tools while rummaging around in pockets gets old pretty quickly. 😂

mind_blown.gif

On 12/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, pseudoswede said:

i use old prescription pill bottles...makes me look like a pill popper 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

just about to add a 15th club to the bag. i hit balls at a grass range today and couldn't get the tee in the ground. super glad i realized this during a practice session and not on the first tee. 😅

Or get one of the rubber tees. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get those out of the work bench and put them back in the bag for winter.

• Like 1

played at boomerang links earlier today. gorgeous 51ºF and sunny, couldn't have asked for better weather. people were great and the greens exceeded expectations. fun track with lots of interesting and challenging holes. 

first time i've hit driver at elevation (and since 2019 thanksgiving) and the combination of altitude and frozen fairways has me feeling like i should sign up for the WLDC 😂. shot even on the front with a birdie and an eagle and not even on the back 😂. 30 putts total and should have been a few less. but after just my third round of the year this was my best one so far and i'm feeling super high on life right now. (and maybe a couple of bevies 😜.) can't wait to get out more and play!!

sorry for bragging, i'm just the only duffer in my circle around here and this is way more meaningful to me than my friends and fam, god bless them. hoping some of you can relate to having a fun round and nobody to BS with about it afterward 😉

• Like 2