2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shot Scope V3

Played another 9 this evening and I have to say I'm getting slightly frustrated now, I'm even going out of my way to waft the watch near the tagged club before taking a practice swing to help register to no avail. At least 1 missed shot every hole plus clubs I've not even pulled on holes registering in random places. Support ticket going in and if not rectified before the end of the returns period its going back.

Really excited to try my V3. But these reviews got me nervous. I don't mind a little editing post round, so should be fine.

Just seems like these auto stats producing products still have a ways to go to meet user demands and have improved on course experience. I don't think anyone is disappointed with the actual stats provided, its collecting them that seems the issue.

I'm new to the shotscope family, never owned the V1 or V2. I think the general feedback and my experience of the support channels so far are stopping me going into full nerd rage mode.

To save this resembling nothing but bashing the V3, I've added the WRX leaderboard to my dash (HEYWKX) and am checking that out. Given how many people are on there it doesn't seem to have much love.

I got my first round in with the V3 yesterday. Coming from Arccos the round went reasonably well with no more editing than I'd normally have to do with Arccos. I only had a few snags and think some of that may have been user error. For one all my putts were set to 2 ft range I had to edit that which was no big deal and I think it only missed one pitch and one chip. There was 2 holes that I emailed them about to edit so I'll see how responsive their customer service is. Overall I was pleased it was the first time I've ever played with a watch on so that took about 2 or so holes to get used to but like everyone else has said after that I didn't even realize it was on. Overall very pleased and with the first round with the device!

Driver -  Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷 9 degree with GD UB 6S

3 Wood- Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S

5 Wood - Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
Hybrid - Cobra F9 22 degree Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
7 - PW - Srixon Z745
Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
Putter - LAB Golf mezz max broomstick, LAB Golf DF 2.1 armlock, LAB golf 2.1 standard length 

I posted this elsewhere and it is too long to retype so I'm just going to copy and paste it here:

I am impressed! I wasn't sure what to do about those little 6" or less tap ins but despite my indecision there, for the holes played (I'll get to that later along with a little wonkiness) it did not miss a shot nor did it record more shots than I took. Each club was correctly identified. I think in the future with those tap ins I'm just going to go right up to the pin and hit the number of times I used the putter inclusive of the tap in. I think it will just record it as a 2 foot putt which is OK as their statistical granularity is 0-6'.

Overall, it really, really worked beautifully. I even added a penalty stroke when I half topped a shot and put it into a creek about 50 yards in front of me. I wasn't sure what to do so I added the penalty right there, dropped and hit my next shot from my original place. Should or could I have moved up and dropped the ball just short of the creek and then recorded the penalty?

OK, wonkiness. On 15 when I got on the green it was showing distances to our 17th. Trying not to hold things up too much I did manage to get it back on the 15th hole but it was only showing yardage to the center, like 4 yards. I could not get the pin collect screen to show. However, the shots were still recorded correctly.

Then on 17, a par 5, after hitting my drive and 2nd shot (positional) I had to pick up as the maintenance crew was aerating the green and were only about half done. So we went around them to 18 tee. After hitting my tee shot I looked at the watch and it was on hole 1. At that point you can't use the arrows to go backward so I forwarded to 18 and, again, all shots were recorded properly.

Oh, when I first power on the watch it gets that flash of a screen that a couple people have posted about and done a screen shot. I just hooked it up to charge and it shows 66% battery capacity left. The round was just under three hours.

What is really neat too is once I signed off after editing and went back in and looked at the round by holes, it gives you the distance of each shot, what yardage it left you with right down to holing the last putt! Here on 10, a short par 4, I teed off with my 4H hitting it just under 200 yards leaving me 86.43 yards to the hole. I hit my 54° wedge not quite 81 yards leaving me 27' from the hole then two putted.

1594654110106-png.8953260

I looked through the user manual and didn't find the answer - maybe someone here knows. I get that the Pin Collect mode wants you to record a putt from the fringe and claims that it will be counted as short game and not a putt. I'm not sure how that works though but my question is a couple of times I was just off the green using a wedge and the watch was in Pin Collect mode. Obviously I don't want that shot counted as a putt so what do I do?

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

OK. So even though the watch is in Pin Collect screen take a full SW swing and hope it counts it. I was thinking maybe I should step back a yard or so and the watch will revert to the approach mode but I'd still have the wedge shot in putting mode. I'll see what happens. Thx.

Also, not that I do it often but I read the instructions on how to record a 4 putt green, but it mentions a middle button so I assume that is V2. Not sure how to record a 4 putt on the V3.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Top right button (or bottom right) when you're on the pin collect screen. It's an arrow or something, then you'll see the ability to put 4. Luckily one i haven't had to do too often. And again, don't worry about where you swing your SW, as long as that's in your hands it's supposed to be the one that picks it up automatically. Do not count SW in your putting stats.

How does the post-round editing work? I searched their website but couldn’t find an answer.

Mainly, I see lots of comments about missing shots. Does this mean at the end of the round you have to remember the distance/location you took each missing shot? I think I could remember a lot but I’ve seen posts suggesting 10 missing shots per round. That’s a lot to remember. Do you keep score/stats on a traditional scorecard to help you remember?

I keep basic stats on the scorecard and enter them into the Grint post-round, so I don’t mind entering info, but I’d be worried I’d forget the details of missing shots and screw up the value of the stats!

Granted, I've only played two rounds with the Shot Scope but have yet to have a shot missed, not even short chips. I have also not seen any extra shots added. In that regard it has been perfect.

After syncing a round to your app you can edit the course on your phone or, due to size, I prefer doing it on the computer. You can see the scorecard and go through each and every hole with it showing the shots on a map as well as in list format. Basically the only editing I have done is to mark all of my 2nd shots on par 5s as "positional" shots so they don't mess up my approach stats. Occasionally I might move a putt around on the map but that has pretty much been it.

Is anyone having problems with the yardages freezing mid round? Since updating the firmware this has happened 3 times now, once on one round and twice on another. Both times I had to end the round and then click play and GPS + track again. The yardages froze and weren’t changing as I moved. Wondering if this is to do with the new update?

Question - is there any indication that a shot was recorded on the screen? In Arccos, it has a a screen that shows what club you hit and how far you hit it as you walk to your ball. I haven't seen this with Shotscope in any videos (just got mine so haven't taken it on the course). If this is the case there is no way to know you missed a shot until the round is done? Any thoughts if it will still work wearing it on my trailing wrist? It just doesn't that the sensor would be that much further away (maybe an inch or two) such that it wouldn't capture the swing. I just don't want to try it for a round and then realize it didnt capture anything cause I wore it on the trailing wrist. One last question, I have a super stroke counter weight in my putter so there is no place to screw it in - what have people done in situations like this?

Eric

Check it? I have used this thing for i think 7 rounds now, and that issue only happened recently once (after the last firmware update), and with L1+L5. But I had much better accuracy with L1+L5, so if you're seeing that freeze issue with L1, then that gives me hope i can jump back to L1+L5 as that freeze issue isn't related. So please check and let us know

As an experiment I went in the back yard yesterday to see how long my watch would take to sync with the GPS setting at L1+L5. It was less than two minutes. Today at the course it took less than 1 minute. However, I found L1+L5 to be LESS accurate. I had to move more pin locations and putts around than in the previous two rounds set just at L1. Full shots seemed to be accurate as far as where they were taken from. Also, my third round and still not a missed shot, added shot or club identified incorrectly.

Been out for two rounds in two days and still missing a lot of shots. Shot Scope have replied to my support ticket and have obviously reviewed my data too, which is a good touch.

Feedback from them is that the watch needs to 'learn' the user, but they have also commented as follows based on my watch missing shots:

"There is a number of events that will help record data:

- holding the golf club in your left hand when waiting to play a shot.

- holding the golf club in your left hand in a still position when waiting to play.

- a small practice swing or chipping motion prior to hitting a shot with the club in your left hand.

- a gentle waggle prior to playing a shot.- a pause prior to swing the club."