2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shot Scope V3

I got this email from them:

In order to get the best experience from your V3 please update your V3 firmware from 2.2.39 to the latest firmware 2.2.62. The latest firmware includes the following improvements; new 'show last tag' feature and improved shot tracking.

New Feature - Show Last Tag

This is a new feature which gives the golfer visual feedback during the round. The last club tag the watch has detected will now appear on the watch screen. This will help give the golfer confidence that their shot has been detected. This function can be turned off in settings if you do not wish to use it. 

Improved Shot Tracking

The watch will detect club tags from further away than before. This means it is now more likely to pick up every shot, and you can check this with the new 'show last tag' feature.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Didn't manage to get out, but got to the range and setup the watch as it was close enough to the course to register.

There was obviously no previous indication of registering a club, but the tag recognition seems relatively sensitive which has at very least got my hopes up! I didn't think to grab a picture, but the indicator now shifts over the centre green yardage and sits level with that. Clear but not intrusive.

Teeing off tomorrow morning at 0638am, so expect feedback in around 12 hours ?

• Like 1

ae92e9ec-ea35-4e60-9f68-b3dc8d56d064.jpegI’m still on the fence with this. The stats it provides is great. But what frustrates me are two things. It takes an average of 8 minutes for the watch to find the course I’m playing. Once it never found it! Guess I can just start looking for it when I get to the course. But I prefer not to start it until I’m on the tee box as I don’t want it to track the various clubs I may use to warm up. And now the annoying aspect, the little plastic part on the band came off. Luckily I found it and was able to put it back. For some reason it struggles to stay attached to the other side of the band and I’m constantly snapping it back. Tried using holes which would wear more loose or tight and same results. The little part also came out a second time and glad I found it again. Why would that little thing not just be a permanent part of the strap even if it’s the part of the band with the technology in it?

Used shot scope V3 the first time. Obviously I believed there would be a learning curve. Shot Scope had me at 121 strokes. I shot an 87. Any idea what I did wrong?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

You bought a watch still in beta testing?

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

wow... ummm, not sure there.

Mine has been pretty solid except for my very first round. This weekend I shot a brutal 86, but shotscope recorded 84. I know one was a misrecorded putt (accidentally pressed 2 on a 3 putt). I don't have the scorecard and can't figure out where the missed shot is, so either my buddy added up the score wrong on the scorecard or there's a shot I don't remember. Either way, it's within 1 shot so no big deal.

Adding the new firmware tonight, hopefully I can go test it out later this week.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I've not had the V3 record more strokes than I took, only less. I played with the new firmware today and noticed that it picked up the club in hand quite quickly. It did for some reason not pick up a single shot on one hole but I put that down to maybe knocking a button and advancing to a wrong hole ? I have the button lock disabled. I like the feature that it shows the last club hit. I also found my upload of my round to be the fastest it's ever done so not sure if that was part of the upgrade. The other thing I noticed was that I used the least amount of battery power for a round to date. I charge my V3 after each round and was in the 80% range when I noticed, just after plugging it in.

I have 6 rounds uploaded and after a short learning curve I have to say I’m impressed. I’ve been using GameGolf OG for years (hate losing those stats) So I’m used to using a tracking device. I haven’t had very many missed or misplaced shots and typically the uploaded score is within a shot or two of my actual score.

Two things I need to work on- Recording putts and ending the round.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I played this morning with the new firmware. Since I basically have had no issue with missed shots, other than rare cases where I forget to take a practice swing or it is a tap-in putt (which still gets recorded as a 2-foot putt), I was concerned that increased sensitivity might lead to phantom shots being recorded. Such was not the case. every shot was accurately recorded with no extras. I did not use the "show club" function.

Except for the very first time I used this, finding and syncing to the GPS satellites, even when I occasionally switch from L1 to L1+5L never takes more than about 2 minutes. For whatever reason, a very nearby course always shows first and the course I am playing is next on the list. It has been that way every round. Today, maybe being new firmware, it seemed to take longer than usual once the GPS signals were found and my course selected for the watch to approximate the same distances showing on the cart GPS. Usually I have seen a yard or, at the most 2-yard difference. At first the difference was over 20 yards but that gradually narrowed as it became time to actually tee off. From that point on the two were as close as they were previously. It was quite cloudy which may also have contributed.

I have been very, very please with the performance of Shot Scope V3 from day one!

Are you making a lot of practise swings in various places when there is other peoples turn? Doing it in the same is fine it only registered the first so your bunker shot percentage will always be 100 %.

Did 9 holes and it only missed a 2 shots. And it was two on a row maybe to close to eachother or something. But only did 9 holes but never had less then 2 missed shots on 9 holes before. And now if I can just get into the motion to check it been registered all the time that saves some work.

Also battery life seem to be way improved somehow. 9 holes and it used not more then absolutely max 15 %. It used to take very close to 50 on 18 holes.

One feature that would be good is a distance counter from tee so you can get a better idea how far into the woods a ball may have gone. And just get an instant indication of how far your ball went instead of having to do calculus :)

As for the long time to detect the course. Take maybe some 3 minutes here. You can detect it and not worry just don´t hit the ok to start the round and you are then good to go to the driving range.

Round this morning was very good with far less missed shots. Still a few over 9 holes but the ability to check out the last club really helps things out. I did find that the missed shots were very easy to add, with the new club indicator flashing very quickly when tapping the tags against the strap.

Still needs a little bit of refining in my eyes, but I'll be keeping it now for sure as the past round edit was really minor.

Mentioned above, I really am missing the ability to measure distances between two points having come from the Garmin so that would be a welcome feature if Shotscope are reading this thread. I do also find it slightly tedious having to add all 'positional shots too. Some are very obvious due to distance, so that intelligence would be great.

Well wearing a watch on the opposite arm than you are used to is very unnatural feeling and is a distraction for me. I don't mind the phone in the pocket whatsoever and I did this before Arccos. With Arccos, I can see that a shot was captured (fixed now) and also see the yardage ticking up as i walk to my ball. If i can't find it, I know approximately how far it should be based on this as well. Since I use a counterbalanced putter, manual putting entry was another big distraction and constantly forgot to mark the pin. This shouldn't get in the way of playing, it should be non intrusive/distracting.

3rd round with the v3 today and no issues. Really enjoying how little I need to interact with it during the round.

The editing after the round is super easy, especially using the web browser

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

I never had an issue with missed shots or extra shots being added but I turned on "Show Club" option today just for giggles. I didn't need it, but it has me wondering, if the watch is picking up the club prior to taking the shot which it seems to do just by gripping the club, has that "awakened" the watch to the point that no practice swings are now required?

Last round, prior to the new firmware, was miles better in terms of picking up shots. I think the only missed shot was it setting driver instead of 3 wood. But that was easily corrected. I used L1+L5 this time.

Optimistic about the watch now, especially with the updated firmware.

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

Just had my first round with the V3 and it consistently picked up the correct club. Distances were accurate. I had trouble remembering to use the Pin Collect after every hole, so my putting stats aren't accurate. I'll either get used to it or just stop bothering after a while. I also forgot to mark a few penalties (it was a rough round), which added to the post-round editing. 90% as a result of user-error I had to edit most of the holes, which I didn't enjoy but the web interface works great. aside from the basic functionality of the watch, the dashboard website and app add a ton of value.

so while it's not entirely hands-off, it makes it MUCH easier to collect a ton of stats. compared to writing it all down on a score card and later entering it into a spreadsheet, simply remembering to collect pin locations, add penalties at the right place/time, and double-checking the selected club with 'show club' on, the SS Watch is a potential game changer for me.

it works great as a simple GPS watch as well. i'll need to use the hazard distances more before I feel confident relying on them.

I do miss the activity tracking of the apple watch I used last year (then broke, hence the SS purchase).

Bottom line: looking forward to getting more rounds in with the SS watch and getting used to the minimal interactions needed to collect good data. then in a few weeks I'm VERY excited to see what the stats have to say about my game.

• Like 1

The firmware update seems like an improvement. Picks up the clubs easily, even when I don't take a practice swing. I noticed improved battery life and the fastest uploads I have seen. I am on manual putting and occasionally forget to mark pin, especially when my playing partners kick my ball over to me when its in gimme range. I am going to have to remember to walk up and record the pin,

It sounds like this isn’t a feature, but is there a way to know how far you hit your last shot? As in, you’re walking from where you last hit and there’s a yardage readout that increases as you walk. Incredibly handy feature for when you know you hit it in an area, but can’t find your ball because of tall rough, etc.

However that is distance to the hole and not the distance you travel. If you go OOB it´s seldom in the direction of the hole. I hope that will be added in the next firmware update. It´s a common feature in a lot of phone apps and gps watches.

What would be extra awesome is a tag paint or something to put on the golf ball so you never have to search... And a phone app with the alien radar and beep sound. That would be the biggest technical game improvement breakthrough in golf since I don´t know what :)

I understand what @Oqvist is saying, the further offline your first shot, the more the reverse math (total yardage of hole - distance to hole = distance of shot) won’t be completely accurate. But, that reverse math trick should get you in the somewhat right area like @shadymg is saying until hopefully a firmware update includes a more robust feature. Thanks guys

I will say I've had some issues with the front and back of the greens on the watch. If the pin is tucked in the front or back I've come across a few times where the watch has shown a number that is less than what my rangefinder reads to the pin. Less than 5 yards but still odd. For instance, Bushnell Hybrid rangefinder will pick up 150 to the pin and the watch will say the front of the green is 154.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

First round with the new firmware and it is the worst tracked round yet - off by 20 strokes too much. Most of them were putts and TBH I have a hard time remembering to record the putts. One hole however had me hitting a driver, a 9i and then driver again. That one was goofy.

I'm going to try my best to push the stupid button when I hole out.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Unless you play a links course or wide-open pasture with few trees, the trick to knowing your distances on off-line shots is to shoot a distant tree in the (approximate) direction the ball went and then shoot the same tree when you get to the ball and subtract. If you hit the ball 40 yards offline from the flag, you can't easily do it by shooting the flag.

Although some of us numbers-geeks can be a decent job of approximate trigonometry in our heads even then it's easier to shoot distance relative to a landmark in the correct direction.

I've always been curious to know how far the ball travels and there's usually plenty of down time while other guys are playing their shots. So I've long been in the habit of just reflexively lasering the before/after distance on a good many shots each round. The downside is it's hard to delude myself that I can hit my 8-iron 150 or drive it 240 when I'm reminded 20+ times a round of how far the ball actually went. I'd probably be happier with the delusional distances.