2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shot Scope V3

I play right-handed, but putt left-handed.  I obviously don't want to switch the watch between shots.  Can you use the tapping tag to band approach to trick it in to capturing the putts in auto mode, or will the sensor still be too far away when you actually hit the putt for it to record? 

Thank you

1 hour ago, Planestress said:

I play right-handed, but putt left-handed.  I obviously don't want to switch the watch between shots.  Can you use the tapping tag to band approach to trick it in to capturing the putts in auto mode, or will the sensor still be too far away when you actually hit the putt for it to record? 

Thank you

I’ve never had a problem with the watch sensing putts (other than tap-ins) on the few occasions I’ve gone to left hand low (I’m right handed). Give it a try before resorting to tapping the watch band. I think it should pick it up. 

On 10/17/2021 at 4:30 AM, Miker20890 said:

i really enjoyed mark crossfields "breaking 70/80" videos. is there anywhere to find the data that they are using? or basically analyze my data to see where i am performing better or worse?

We have a new feature coming soon which will help you in this regard. Will be available prior to end of year. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So are they worth the money? I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and am thinking of getting one of these. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

ShotScope isn’t perfect, but for the price, the shots gained data is definitely worth the money. I especially like Performance Average for clubs vs. average of every shot. Basically, think of the algorithm eliminating the shots you’d take out because they shouldn’t be in the decision process. 

I’ve had more problems with recognizing the club every time than most people do, but it is perhaps because of living at high latitude. I also lose Sirius XM coverage a lot too. 

With ShotScope, I just touch the club to my wrist if practice swings don’t cause it to recognize which club I’m using. I’m really glad I have mine. 

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 GD Tour AD Red 55 S
4W: Callaway Mavrik 16.5
Hyb: Wishon 2 & 3 (18*, 21*)
Redbird Avian Forged 5-GW
SW/LW: Miura 56*, 60* K grind

Putter: Miura KM008
Srixon Q Star soon to try Vice Pro Zero

21 hours ago, Bye said:

So are they worth the money? I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and am thinking of getting one of these. 

Yes, I'd say so.  Not only can collecting stats help with your game, but I also find it fun to review my rounds and see my stats.  I also like having the gps yardages on the watch rather than having to get out another device.  Have you ever collected strokes gained stats before?  It can be pretty eye opening if you haven't.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

21 hours ago, Bye said:

Yes. I actually pre-ordered one and used it for a while and sold it. I was frustrated with the putts not being accurate mostly. Once they enabled the strokes gained stuff I wanted to try it again so I bought one off here and have loved the strokes gained addition. It made a big difference for me. I also learned to just tap my putter tag to the watch before as I'm lining up my putt and it's been better but GPS is still not reliable enough to really get great accuracy on the distance of putts. Hopefully that eventually comes if those L5 satellites ever go live. I still find the putting strokes gained stats extremely useful. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

1 hour ago, dsmil said:

Yes, I'd say so.  Not only can collecting stats help with your game, but I also find it fun to review my rounds and see my stats.  I also like having the gps yardages on the watch rather than having to get out another device.  Have you ever collected strokes gained stats before?  It can be pretty eye opening if you haven't.

I have not done shots gained before, I collected stats in a book about 20 years ago, but it was nothing like SG. A friend has one of the apps on his iPhone, but I like the idea of it being not having to do too much during the round. 

Is it accurate enough to get some decent data?

Titleist - Pro V1

6 minutes ago, Bye said:

I have not done shots gained before, I collected stats in a book about 20 years ago, but it was nothing like SG. A friend has one of the apps on his iPhone, but I like the idea of it being not having to do too much during the round. 

Everything is more than accurate enough for good SG data except putting.  Putting data will always have insufficient accuracy until they enable the 2nd GPS frequency from the L5 constellation.  I am not sure if or when that will happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Everything is more than accurate enough for good SG data except putting.  Putting data will always have insufficient accuracy until they enable the 2nd GPS frequency from the L5 constellation.  I am not sure if or when that will happen.

Thank you. Can you make manual adjustments with putting after the round?

• Like 1

Titleist - Pro V1

22 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Yes. If you pace your putts off, then you can adjust pin location and/or shot location to get the necessary accuracy.

Great, thank you. Might be worth a look for next years golf.

• Like 2

Titleist - Pro V1

Measure putts distances is the hassle of all software. watches etc. At least some like Shotscope let you edit post round.

I generally keep a notes on my phone of first putt distance, etc.

And then edit as needed in the dashboard post round.

As I walk off putts, remember the distance isn't a big deal to write down.

I'd be doing it anyway, just a bit of a hassle to write down. But if you care about the value of the putting/approach stats, it is worth it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bye said:

Yes, you’ll get some great data. You’ll need to do some editing after the round but it’s not a big deal. Regarding putting, pacing off your putts is a good idea so you can write those distances down and use them for reference when editing the round. Getting the length of your first putt is the most important for a total strokes gained putting perspective. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Ping Tour 65s - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

Ping G425 19* 3H - Ping Tour 85s - 39.5 in.
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

10 hours ago, CFAnPEI said:

Measure putts distances is the hassle of all software. watches etc. At least some like Shotscope let you edit post round.

I generally keep a notes on my phone of first putt distance, etc.

And then edit as needed in the dashboard post round.

As I walk off putts, remember the distance isn't a big deal to write down.

I'd be doing it anyway, just a bit of a hassle to write down. But if you care about the value of the putting/approach stats, it is worth it.

If you walk off, say a 25' putt from the hole, but you leave it 3 feet short, I believe Shot Scope would record that first putt as 17' and the 2nd putt holed as a 3-foot putt. Of course, GPS accuracy isn't that great, and I think Shot Scope recognizes that by establishing 6-foot buckets, 0-6, 6-12, etc. in their putting performance category.

• 4 weeks later...

I used my V3 for about 6-8 rounds total but never could get used to the “workflow” required to get the most from it. I got a good deal on an S42 so I’m going back to Garmin. I won’t get the same level of data as I might have with ShotScope but I’ve decided I’m okay with that. 

If I had to describe the ShotScope workflow in one word it would be “tedious.” It seems like to get the most accurate data collection requires a lot more messing with the watch during my round than I’m willing to do.

Needing to enter penalty strokes as they occur during the round is a good example. Having to remember to Pin Collect is another. Having to make sure the device has correctly identified the club I’m about to use is another. 

There wasn’t a single round  that didn’t need extensive editing on my computer afterward, and making the edits involves even more tedium as the website isn’t very intuitive. In most cases I simply gave up. Bad data is worse than no data IMO. 

I think if you’re a stat hound who doesn’t mind staying on top of the device’s needs during your round, it can work very well. I’ve just learned that I’m not that kind of player.

Garmin’s system works more in the background, and it lets up keep your manual score on the device. For my brain, having my manually-entered score on each hole allows me to easily re-create what happened on each hole and jogs my memory for anything I might have forgotten along the way. The device does keep driving stats and you can enter club info after each round if you want to keep those kind of stats. I tend not to. I don’t have any trouble knowing or remembering the distances I expect from each club. 

I’m glad I tried ShotScope so I can understand the differences. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, me05501 said:

I used my V3 for about 6-8 rounds total but never could get used to the “workflow” required to get the most from it. I got a good deal on an S42 so I’m going back to Garmin. I won’t get the same level of data as I might have with ShotScope but I’ve decided I’m okay with that. 

If I had to describe the ShotScope workflow in one word it would be “tedious.” It seems like to get the most accurate data collection requires a lot more messing with the watch during my round than I’m willing to do.

Needing to enter penalty strokes as they occur during the round is a good example. Having to remember to Pin Collect is another. Having to make sure the device has correctly identified the club I’m about to use is another. 

There wasn’t a single round  that didn’t need extensive editing on my computer afterward, and making the edits involves even more tedium as the website isn’t very intuitive. In most cases I simply gave up. Bad data is worse than no data IMO. 

I think if you’re a stat hound who doesn’t mind staying on top of the device’s needs during your round, it can work very well. I’ve just learned that I’m not that kind of player.

Garmin’s system works more in the background, and it lets up keep your manual score on the device. For my brain, having my manually-entered score on each hole allows me to easily re-create what happened on each hole and jogs my memory for anything I might have forgotten along the way. The device does keep driving stats and you can enter club info after each round if you want to keep those kind of stats. I tend not to. I don’t have any trouble knowing or remembering the distances I expect from each club. 

I’m glad I tried ShotScope so I can understand the differences. 

I currently have the S62 and the ShotScope.   Granted, I had to return my ShotScope watch recently due to a failure and they replaced it immediately. 

While using the faulty ShotScope watch; I was missing several shots during the round, got frustrated and stopped using it for awhile to go back to the Garmin.   I reached out to SS Support and we did a few quick tests and they informed me my watch was faulty and replaced it ASAP.    During this SS downtime; I moved back to the Garmin S62 and the interesting thing for me was I felt the Garmin was more effort during the round than SS.   With the Garmin, you have to mark what club was used after each shot (if not you have to edit after the round), you have to enter penalty shots and around the green I believe the Garmin is really lacking.  Missing some chips and pitches where the SS would identify them.    Plus, the Garmin editing capabilities for me is an absolute nightmare and very time consuming.       

I have now received my new SS watch and will be playing a few times this weekend to verify everything is back the way I had it before the watch decided to stop working correctly.

Besides which is easier - everyone must remember to each their own.  I love the S62 since it reflects a ton of things outside of golf where the SS watch is exactly that - a golf watch.   Regarding the GPS distances (which should be by far the most important thing) I believe both are outstanding for measuring shots, distance to hole (F,M, B).   

Either way, you can configure the watch to be more simple and just a GPS option only and just ignore the data being captured since I feel you can definitely get paralysis thru analysis really quick.   

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

2 hours ago, MPG said:

I currently have the S62 and the ShotScope.   Granted, I had to return my ShotScope watch recently due to a failure and they replaced it immediately. 

While using the faulty ShotScope watch; I was missing several shots during the round, got frustrated and stopped using it for awhile to go back to the Garmin.   I reached out to SS Support and we did a few quick tests and they informed me my watch was faulty and replaced it ASAP.    During this SS downtime; I moved back to the Garmin S62 and the interesting thing for me was I felt the Garmin was more effort during the round than SS.   With the Garmin, you have to mark what club was used after each shot (if not you have to edit after the round), you have to enter penalty shots and around the green I believe the Garmin is really lacking.  Missing some chips and pitches where the SS would identify them.    Plus, the Garmin editing capabilities for me is an absolute nightmare and very time consuming.       

I have now received my new SS watch and will be playing a few times this weekend to verify everything is back the way I had it before the watch decided to stop working correctly.

Besides which is easier - everyone must remember to each their own.  I love the S62 since it reflects a ton of things outside of golf where the SS watch is exactly that - a golf watch.   Regarding the GPS distances (which should be by far the most important thing) I believe both are outstanding for measuring shots, distance to hole (F,M, B).   

Either way, you can configure the watch to be more simple and just a GPS option only and just ignore the data being captured since I feel you can definitely get paralysis thru analysis really quick.   

Interesting.

I'm the guy you quoted and I went to an S42. I like that it gives you a choice how much or how little data you want to collect. I'm currently collecting quite a bit, and with that in mind I very much appreciate that the watch gets the data from me after the hole is over. 

I couldn't figure out a way to enter a penalty stroke on the ShotScope except either A) when I'm in the process of taking the drop or B) hours later on their website. I damn sure don't want to futz with the watch when I'm already slowing my group down with my penalty drop, and I never could get used to the website that I found to be very counter-intuitive. 

It's good to have options and I'm glad the ShotScope system feels natural for some people. I'm just not one of those people. 🙂 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

51 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Interesting.

I'm the guy you quoted and I went to an S42. I like that it gives you a choice how much or how little data you want to collect. I'm currently collecting quite a bit, and with that in mind I very much appreciate that the watch gets the data from me after the hole is over. 

I couldn't figure out a way to enter a penalty stroke on the ShotScope except either A) when I'm in the process of taking the drop or B) hours later on their website. I damn sure don't want to futz with the watch when I'm already slowing my group down with my penalty drop, and I never could get used to the website that I found to be very counter-intuitive. 

It's good to have options and I'm glad the ShotScope system feels natural for some people. I'm just not one of those people. 🙂 

I hope you did not think I was coming at you.   I just used your quote because our opinions varied but both devices worked for our needs.   

Does not mean one is better but there are applications, devices, toys, tools that will meet the needs of everyone.    

• Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

• 1 month later...