I'm currently not in a good position to spend money, moving on from a contract job and my wife is the only money maker at this time. (Dont want to go into our savings lol)

While looking for employment I will have a little downtime. I'm a 100's golfer, looking for ways to improve for free. I have a chipping a putting green near me, is it that simple? Chipping and putting?

If so any recommended drills? Like 4 ft putts 25 in a row or chipping a certain distance that maybe more statistically recommended?

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah man its a great time to sharpen up putting and chipping when you're forced to like injured or low on cash..... if you're shooting in 100s get a 5 minute lesson from a good player there like a kid on a team and that 5 min lesson will have you chipping like a champ cause its very simple and practice getting up and down and knock many stokes off...

A well mown empy field like baseball or soccer fields are great for short game practice, bring a mat so you don't get yelled at about divots. I do a lot of chipping practice in my back yard.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Appreciate the great insights. I live in Jacksonville so my grass can get damaged really easy if I hit it with wedges. I went up to the chipping green the last two days for an hour a day and really have made insane strides with my chipping. I watched that Kisner video like 5 times and I am keeping my hands before the head on the 60 and body is moving with arms in one piece. Even the thins or poor strikes are getting closer to the hole.

That crap I was going putting the ball back in my stance and picking it is for the birds, it doen't stop.... It's keeps running and running.

With the 60 if I do the body move with the arms it's on the green everytime and usually 10 ft away to right next to the hole. It's giving me a lot of confidence. Until I am back working I'm going to keep doing chipping 1 hour a day. I figured if it takes me a couple of weeks to find work that's 2 - 3 weeks of 7 hours of practice chipping from 10 - 30 yards. It will only help.

And to be honest. It could take my scoring average from 102 on this course down 12 strokes no lie. The way I was chipping before putting it off my trail toe or close and chopping down has terrible results.

Link to the video?

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s vs PXG gen1 0211 4-P TGI80
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Couldn't agree more, sometimes not hitting a ball is the best way to improve your swing. Removes the ability to transition into bashing balls and making no change. I have a terrible tendency of getting super laid off at the top and getting stuck on the way down. I set up a iPhone to iPad mirroring program. Phone set up down the line and sends the image real time to the iPad which I put in front of me. Helps me link the feel and real at the top and shallowing appropriately on the way down.

Just an update. I started a new routine. I bring up my 60 and putter, only one ball.

I toss it somewhere 10 - 30 yards from the green. I then play a game, chip putt, putt is my goal. The way I look at it if I am off the green I am chipping for birdie, my second shot is for par and my next one is for bogey. If I can convert those into bogeys whereas sometimes I am double triple, it will help me get under a 100 consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

If a small investment is OK, get a 48 inch metal ruler from Harbor Freight for $5 and work on that putting drill in addition to working at the course. https://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-aluminum-ruler-69365.html

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-V ~ Cobra Trusty Rusty 64 ~ SeeMore M1

It is a lot of fun. A couple of items I noticed.

It organically makes practice fun

It gives me an objective, so instead of just sitting their dead head and going through the motions I am trying to meet an objective

It naturally has a built in time constraint. I can get obsessed with practice and go for 2-3 hours. This limits me to 30 minutes or thereabouts....

For chipping and putting, try to do as youre dont with one ball, practice getting up and down. Really helps on the course.

could also keep a log, like 50 chips, how many times did you get it up and in. I find when working on stuff its better to go to the same target, that way you can groove something for feel (but also want to practice going to different targets in a row).

Could also put a hola hoop around the pin and try to chip into it (really helps with control).

In an open field, helps to focus on each shot. I find sometimes when people are at a range they just beat balls, but if you have to go pick them up you try harder.