2020 TaylorMade SIM and SIM Max drivers (in hand photos, M5/M6 comparison pics)

GolfWRX

Long time Callaway Epic Sub Zero and Flash Sub zero guy. Loving my SIM so far. About 6 rounds in, feels great, a little longer I'd say, misses are very playable and still get out there.

• Like 1

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

Yeah, I just CANNOT get comfortable with different shafts being used in their testing. I need it to be true apples to apples using the same exact shaft. Otherwise, when testing head to heads, because there are so many different shafts to choose from with various profiles, its just not a fair test. I've heard the TXG guys say we could be here all day trying all the different shafts to see which is a best fit for each head. So switch the process around, first figure out Matt's best fitting shaft (Nemesis, Ventus, etc) in general (I know Ian says different heads require different shafts but lets forget that for head to head testing purposes), then apply same to all heads being tested. Then, we know we have the best shaft that delivers the head into the ball in the most optimum manner (in general), so we can isolate the differences to the various heads. My master club fitter at Club Champion here in a top 10 U.S. City told me after 100's of driver fittings thus far, SIM beats Mavrik 90% of the time when swing speed is over 100MPH. I trust this guy implicitly! I think there is a strong chance the SIM would have beat the Mavrik if it would have been coupled with the same shaft used in the Mavrik which was the Ventus. I would love to see TXG have a rematch and prove me wrong!

TXG, what say ye???

The 3 hour long fitting video showed he's a lot less robot than a lot of folks believe. I realized it late last year when I noticed the shot number on gcquad was way different than the shot they were showing. The 3 hour fitting video proved it. In their videos they only show good shots. They edit out the bad. In the fitting video they show every shot. And while the first few shots hit with a different head/shaft combo can be wildly bad, matt hits a lot more offline than their videos lead you to believe.

This was my biggest gripe about driver testing last year. Ballspeed is maxed. Launch and spin are dynamic year to year. But OEMs are making significant progress on forgiveness on off center contact and bad strikes. Show us how good or bad the bad ones are...

Yeah, give me a break: we KNOW the Ventus and Nemesis are a great fit for Matt. Now just use one of those shafts (Matt's choice) and keep all variables same (head weight, shaft length, adapter settings, loft, SW, etc) in all head-to-head testing and now we're cookin' with peanut oil. I'm one of those that believe the shaft is a large percentage contributor to the total performance of each and every driver (it cannot be discounted by using different shafts). What you describe getitdaily, if true, is downright concerning to say the least. If true, they are manipulating the results to achieve a desired outcome (and for what reason?).

All I've read for two pages is how the TXG guys' test is wrong. They said in the beginning that this is not about finding the best driver of the year ( which probably doesn't even exist), but finding the one for Matt. I don't think it is wise to read any more into these tests. They're fun and meant to push people to book fittings.

I think its worth noting, for me in particular, if you look back through this thread you will actually see that I was quite negative about the SIM when I read that certain folks were experiencing too low spin. Reason is, I've never had a TM driver I liked because they've always been too low spin given my positive AOA just like Matt at TXG. SLDR, M3, M5, all same story for me, too low spin and less control than my go-to G400LST, 915, TS3. Matter of fact, my favorite drivers of past were Adams 9015D, Callaway FT-3, Callaway FT-Tour, Ping(s), 915, TS3. Then, after bashing the SIM (earlier in this thread), I finally tested it and became a believer. It finally has the distance and control I get from my go-to's and then some! Anyways, just wanted to share that given some think there is some brand loyalty going on here - nothing could be further from the truth for me - never liked or used any TM golf club including, putters, irons, woods, balls, etc. The SIM is a FIRST for me and the only TM gamer in my bag over the past 20 years. I think this inertia generator is the REAL DEAL (leap forward in low spin distance AND control/forgiveness)! Interestingly, check out the original "inertia generator" in the legendary Adams 9015D (pic attached).

TUUK7G2GF09N.jpeg

• Like 1

Folks can check my post history in this thread and the mavrik new release thread. I have been very complimentary of the family. They're very good. I almost ended up in a subzero. Only reason I didnt?

Out of 12 drives I hit 3 off the map left on the launch monitor. That was a deal breaker for me. I didn't lose a single SIM anywhere near hard left.

So the reason the fwy hit% is important to me is that I made my decision based on it 2 months ago. Mavrik sub zero was longer than sim by about 5 yards, iirc. But a left miss for a fader? Nope.

And I almost gave up on my sim just 3 weeks ago and would have gotten into a callaway (ef sz).

That video provides me more useful information than sales numbers.

Who buys a club based off sales?

I am not saying you should buy one based off a video either, but at least there is something there.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Went back and reviewed all of the bracket videos last night. They only keep shots that land in the fairway and only shots that are within 10mm of center. They claim that about 15% of shots that land in the fwy are eliminated for bad strike and that about 65% of shots are kept in the fwy. Tracking shot numbers, I saw some interesting numbers. Here's the "keep" rate of all the drivers so far:

SIM MAX - 100% (yep, every shot hit was kept)

SIM - 71.4%

Speedzone extreme - 58.8%

G410lst - 47.6% and 47.6%

Mavrik max - 47.6%

Mavrik standard- 47.6%

Mavrik sz - 45%

Both SIM drivers far outperformed in quality strikes. I think that says A LOT about them...especially since Matt was fit for each driver.

Very interesting. My on course results with the sim max have been great. My swing is terrible right now but it's letting me get away with some really stinky shots. Center strikes are as long as anything I've hit. It's too bad TM didnt go with the Rogue white as a stock option (im playing a 70x) along with a heavier head, I could have saved some $$

The results are indeed interesting. If you've ever tested multiple drivers then you know right away whether a head/ shaft combo will work. Once you get a combo that works then it just generally works. Then it's "swing away" and see what the driver can do.

For matt to have been fitted into each combo and have all those bad strikes or missed fairways with all but the SIM family really says something about them...and that they're both out of the bracket. They're basically saying matt would rather hit every other drive terribly on the course for those 6 or 7 that are bombs vs hit a lot of them really well.

• Like 2

Thanks for the stats, getitdaily. Very telling and the stats are consistent with what my guy at Club Champion experienced in all of his fittings: when both distance AND control are taken into account, SIM wins 90% of the time. As I've said, this is the first time ever to have a TM driver in the bag that I plan to game for the season. It's a weird feeling for us former anti-TM folks because I had essentially written off TM as a product that just doesn't fit my game or any player that is already a low spin player.

As far as TXG's criteria used in their head-to-head testing with Matty boy: I think their criteria is flawed because golf is all about score and you cant have a driver that lives in the rough, hazards, out of bounds and score. Give me the driver that is in the fairway the highest percentage of the time that has great ball speeds, launch, and spin, and it's in the bag all day every day. Last but no least, it appears "the inertia generator is the REAL DEAL."

• Like 2

The numbers are very interesting and tell a story. I didn't wait to see what kind of launch numbers he had for sim.max but I bet it was launching and spinning high.

He didn't hit all the drivers on the same day for each bracket matchup. But it's interesting that the SIM numbers were far better than the driver they matched up with.

SIM MAX got beat by g410lst but it took more than twice as many drives for the ping to beat it. SIM got beat by mavrik standard but it took 1/3 more drives for mavrik to beat it.

Same guy swinging. Fit for each combo. Best balls averages go to g410lst and mavrik standard. But playability 100% goes to SIM.