Palm Springs Teaser continued for 2024 Golf Vacations

ZipinZ

5 minutes ago, oneunderbogey said:

Anyone know anything about The Golf Club at La Quinta, also known as Coral Mountain Golf Club?  Looks like they have a solid replay deal. 

Its a solid golf course, used for the Skins Game back when Fred Funk and Annika Sorenstam played.  I understand that it has struggled financially, I don't know what shape its in, but when I played in January 2020 it was just fine.  A friend owns a second home there, and we visit every year, so I've played it pretty much every January for a few years.

For those who have done seasonal rentals in the past, how far in advance did you generally arrange for the lease/rental agreement? With the uncertainty surrounding what things might be like due to possible COVID restrictions, I'm hesitant to sign anything too far in advance, so I'm just wondering if it's common to wait until November or even December to make arrangements.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

5 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

For those who have done seasonal rentals in the past, how far in advance did you generally arrange for the lease/rental agreement? With the uncertainty surrounding what things might be like due to possible COVID restrictions, I'm hesitant to sign anything too far in advance, so I'm just wondering if it's common to wait until November or even December to make arrangements.

Because of COVID times are a bit different, you should be able to establish/negotiate payment terms that mutually benefit both parties.  With our borders closed to non-essential (vehicle) travel, very few Cdn's will be traveling to Palm Springs this winter there will be lots of rental choices which gives you an advantage.  We book 1 year in advance with a $500.00 deposit to ensure we're on a priority list to get the place & dates we want.  The lease we sign has provisions for cancellations but we would loose our deposit.  This year I was able to negotiate with the owner who allowed us to postpone our trip and they keep the $500.00 deposit & our 1st payment of $2,800.00 and we get the same place & dates in 2022 and the money is held & applied to the 2022 rental. 

I'm sure it will all work out for you.

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

20 hours ago, ZipinZ said:

Because of COVID times are a bit different, you should be able to establish/negotiate payment terms that mutually benefit both parties.  With our borders closed to non-essential (vehicle) travel, very few Cdn's will be traveling to Palm Springs this winter there will be lots of rental choices which gives you an advantage.  We book 1 year in advance with a $500.00 deposit to ensure we're on a priority list to get the place & dates we want.  The lease we sign has provisions for cancellations but we would loose our deposit.  This year I was able to negotiate with the owner who allowed us to postpone our trip and they keep the $500.00 deposit & our 1st payment of $2,800.00 and we get the same place & dates in 2022 and the money is held & applied to the 2022 rental. 

I'm sure it will all work out for you.

D.

Thanks, we've never been to the area, and I'm a little leery of agreeing to rent a place based just on pictures on the internet, but I'm hopeful we'll be able to find a good place. I've been looking at rentals through Zillow. I'm not sure if there's a better site I could be using, but it does seem like I'm able to see a lot of listings throughout the valley, and at more reasonable rates than the ridiculous ones on VRBO or AirBnB

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

1 hour ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

Thanks, we've never been to the area, and I'm a little leery of agreeing to rent a place based just on pictures on the internet, but I'm hopeful we'll be able to find a good place. I've been looking at rentals through Zillow. I'm not sure if there's a better site I could be using, but it does seem like I'm able to see a lot of listings throughout the valley, and at more reasonable rates than the ridiculous ones on VRBO or AirBnB

Sent you a P/M with a few rental agencies I'm familiar with.

• Like 1

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Not a bad price for PGA West Nicklaus on GolfNow.

image.png.95da05aedd15c2fa2a0917d6f8138c55.png

My favorite hole #8  .....

427ZF1DUXC4M.jpg

KI7FAF96BVBA.jpg

Missed my Birdie made Par ...

LXOR5DKIXQVW.jpg

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Just spent a week out there, absolutely disgusted at the conditions at The PGA West Norman course, horrible, glad we got a low price. 

Dunes was impeccable and a joy to play, Firecliff was awesome, both courses at Terra lago were in great shape, they also opened the private S course at Rancho Mirage, was a good course, always a great week out there.

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

On 10/23/2020 at 11:55 AM, oneunderbogey said:

Suggestions? Coral mountain club has an unlimited deal (we would play at least 36) for 2 for 90 each. 

Both of the La Quinta Resort courses (Dunes & Mountain) are much better IMO. SilverRock has some construction going on but is still a tremendous course in great shape and I believe opens back up next week. Both Desert Willow courses are also really good, I prefer Firecliff between the two. Indian Springs is the best value in the area in terms of condition to dollars but not as challenging as the rest. If you're willing to drive a bit farther I prefer the Mission Hills Resort Courses, with the Pete Dye being the better of the two to Coral Mountain as well.

Feel free to message me w/ any other questions!

On 10/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, Warrick said:

Just spent a week out there, absolutely disgusted at the conditions at The PGA West Norman course, horrible, glad we got a low price. 

Dunes was impeccable and a joy to play, Firecliff was awesome, both courses at Terra lago were in great shape, they also opened the private S course at Rancho Mirage, was a good course, always a great week out there.

Glad to hear Terra Lago is in good shape, I've been avoiding it because the South was a disaster when I played it in early August. Really fun track.

1 hour ago, doobz said:

Both of the La Quinta Resort courses (Dunes & Mountain) are much better IMO. SilverRock has some construction going on but is still a tremendous course in great shape and I believe opens back up next week. Both Desert Willow courses are also really good, I prefer Firecliff between the two. Indian Springs is the best value in the area in terms of condition to dollars but not as challenging as the rest. If you're willing to drive a bit farther I prefer the Mission Hills Resort Courses, with the Pete Dye being the better of the two to Coral Mountain as well.

Feel free to message me w/ any other questions!

What are replay rates?  I can't find them anywhere for any of the courses you mentioned.  We want play 36 and get a pretty good deal.  I am going to play some of the other courses you mentioned without my buddy who is coming in for the 1 day.  

Edited by oneunderbogey

2 minutes ago, oneunderbogey said:

What are replay rates?  I can't find them anywhere for any of the courses you mentioned.  We want play 36 and get a pretty good deal.  I am going to play some of the other courses you mentioned without my buddy who is coming in for the 1 day.  

Honestly not sure, if Coral Mountain has a great replay deal and thats what you're after, I'd go that route. It's not a bad course by any means.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:57 PM, Warrick said:

What did you expect at the Norman since they were preparing to overseed that week?  None of the PGA West courses (open to public) are going to be any good right now since the Stadium and Nicklaus are just coming out of overseeding as well.  Really wet and CPO.

Regardless, it still would be nice to play anything right now instead of below freezing temps and snow that we've got here for the next 5 months.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 10/24/2020 at 9:57 PM, Warrick said:

Yeah, the Norman course had a problem with fairway grass encroaching onto the greens. The greens will need to be rebuilt. 

The Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament courses are in fine shape, though they'll be cart path only for awhile. 

On 11/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, oneunderbogey said:

PGA West - Nicklaus vs La Quintia dunes for 11/30.  Nicklaus is an extra $40 worth it? 

In my opinion most definitely.

The Dunes is our least favorite of them all and we've played most of 'em.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I would agree with Paul (Vernon) ... played the Dunes only once, didn't enjoy it, there a a number of better choices in LaQuinta.

Enjoy the golf holiday.

D.

• Like 1

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 7:38 PM, ZipinZ said:

I would agree with Paul (Vernon) ... played the Dunes only once, didn't enjoy it, there a a number of better choices in LaQuinta.

Enjoy the golf holiday.

D.

Dunes is definitely not worth it.  There are superior courses in the area.  Some of my personal favorites:

Silverrock - probably my favorite

Desert Willow - both courses

Shadow Ridge

Classic Club

Indian Wells - both courses

La Quinta - Mountain course

PGA West - Nicklaus Tournament Course

PGA West - Stadium (good but not worth the upcharge green fee over Nicklaus Tournament)

PGA West - Norman

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:13 AM, bradski said:

I'm planning on playing in Mid January.   We are going to play silverrock,  Escena, Desert Willow firecliff, and i am trying to decide between Classic and Indian Wells player?   anyone know which one is in better shape?   

Classic is a much better course, not exactly sure on the conditions. 

On 12/15/2020 at 9:13 AM, bradski said:

I'm planning on playing in Mid January.   We are going to play silverrock,  Escena, Desert Willow firecliff, and i am trying to decide between Classic and Indian Wells player?   anyone know which one is in better shape?   

played Classic yesterday. It’s in great condition except for a few weird blemishes on some greens that don’t affect play. Best public track in the area IMO. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, EMA1 said:

Classic is a much better course, not exactly sure on the conditions. 

It’s a great course but don’t go near it if the wind is blowing. Brutal. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

On 1/17/2021 at 6:19 AM, PearSorbet17 said:

played Classic yesterday. It’s in great condition except for a few weird blemishes on some greens that don’t affect play. Best public track in the area IMO. 

Is it the only public course you've played in PS?

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

On 1/22/2021 at 10:39 PM, Double K said:

Is it the only public course you've played in PS?

No. I’ve played all 3 public at PGA West, both courses at La Quinta resort, both at Indian Wells resort, silverock, Both desert willow courses, both public at mission hills and the Dinah shore, escena, terra lago (both). 

2 hours ago, dunn05 said:

Skip Eagle Falls this year. Played a few weeks ago and was in terrible condition compared to previous years...normally a really good course

Man, I wonder what happened? Usually gets really favorable reviews on here. It was always one of our favorite courses whenever we went to Palm Springs. 

19 hours ago, North Texas said:

Man, I wonder what happened? Usually gets really favorable reviews on here. It was always one of our favorite courses whenever we went to Palm Springs. 

Same here.  In thirteen years we've never had a bad experience at Eagle Falls.

One of the most consistently good courses in the valley for us.

Really missing not going out there this year but it seems as if reverse global warming has struck the desert.  Cold and rainy seems to be the norm the last couple of months.

Very few days over 70 and lots of upper 50's and lower 60's.  Not at all what we go out there expecting.  Would hate to spend that kind of money to play in cold, wet and windy conditions.

And then eat dinner in the parking lot.........🤦‍♂️

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• ZipinZ changed the title to Palm Springs Teaser continued for 2024 Golf Vacations