2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Going to a tour event in golf clothes

DPGCidol

Hi all and a happy new year,

in the past I went to a couple European Tour events and saw that most of the spectators came fully equipped in golf clothes including golf shoes. Can someone give me a hint what's behind that? I simply don't get it.

Are they doing it to let others know that they also play golf or do they think that they can play if a player withdraws!? Is it only a common thing in Europe or do people in the states also attend a tour event fully equipped? I have no idea whats behind that.

Best Regards

Seb

Golf clothes are made for comfort on the golf course. And they work. That's my reasoning anyway.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

What does it matter what people wear? Some people head along to watch the Golf dressed up in Tiger onesies which is their prerogative. It doesn’t hurt anyone, it doesn’t harm anyone so who cares.

If it’s wet underfoot or there is the potential for rain, I will wear golf shoes because they are the only shoes that I have which would be waterproof and I would rather at least attempt to have dry feet than walk around soaking wet for hours on end. I have only ever watched golf in Scotland as well so I tend to take a waterproof jacket with me as well. I will usually wear jeans but actually as I type that, I am thinking that the golf trousers I have are generally more comfortable than jeans as well.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Never understood it myself, other than the waterproof side of it.

About 15 years ago I went to a golf expo in skate shoes, cargo pants and a hoodie, a large portion of the crowd were in full golf kit. Even a fair few wearing soft spikes!

Anyhow, started talking to a rep on the stand and he is talking simple to me and guiding me to a set of game improvement shovels, I realized what was happening so gave him heaps of rope. Eventually he asked what I played off, when I replied 9 he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and everything changed! I am hoping he learnt that day never to judge a book by its cover!

I went to the Open at Royal St Georges the year Ben Curtis won. Another guy in our group had never been to a tournament before and someone told him to dress smartly. He pitched up in a pair of leather-soled shoes. They might as well have been ice skates for all the grip they gave him. He wound up on his backside more than once and had to move extremely slowly. When you're a spectator, you tend to spend a lot of time on the edges of the playing areas, which are often not flat. Golf shoes have plenty of grip, so they make sense. The waterproof aspect is a good point too.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

i usually wear a golf shirt, slacks and dress shoes to the Thursday/Friday rounds. I’m with clients, I’m at least 50% working, and that is acceptable business casual attire. If I go on Sunday I’ll wear shorts and a t shirt, if it isn’t warm enough to wear shorts I stay home, but the first two days no I don’t think I am going to play. I do think my company and customers deserve my respect to dress business casual though.

I went to a Cardinals game though and at least half of the mouth breathers there were wearing jerseys, covered in tattoos and likely on PEDs. I really do think many of them thought they were actually part of the game.

Other than the shoes, what’s the point of the question? Edgy - Hey Tiger, I’m in.

Plenty of golf shoes look like casual shoes but have the advantage of waterproof and traction and are very comfortable. Is there some other kind of footwear that you expect to see? I’ve always worn tennis shoes but one of the days we were at Augusta National I think I wore some spikeless golf shoes because of the dew and terrain. Whoopee.

Other than shoes I wore a shirt, pants or shorts and some sort of pullover depending on temperature. Yep, some of the same stuff I wear to golf (and to work) called clothes ——- BFD. Actually one of the days at Augusta I think I wore ------- jeans (but not sure, I know they were an option)! Maybe you think that's more "normal"? Some here are sharpening their pitchforks.

Don’t think I was “fully equipped” - no balls, tees, markers, bag, clubs, towels, push cart .

• Like 1

Hey,

I get the point about golf shoes, when we are talking about weather conditions that require so. The last event I attended was in Dubai, 25 degrees Celsius (77°F). I would never consider to wear water proof golf shoes in such weather conditions unless you like sweaty feet. Also a golf course is usually not a place that requires special shoes if you just want to walk over it. But shoes were the less important thing I was bewildered about. When I go somewhere I dress of course according to the occasion, but I don't go to a soccer game with cleats and shin pads. I'm just talking about folks that attend a golf event in a private matter. I especially made fun of the people who were out there in functional shirts, golf pants, golf belts, golf caps etc. (fully equipped). Some even had a glove in the back pocket. If the argument is that these clothes are just the coziest, can I assume that these people wear their golf gear everywhere? You won't sweat where such clothes are appropriate. You are not doing sports at this moment.

Sorry for the bad writing, I'm from Germany.

Greetings

Golf apparel has come a long way.... Todays golf shirts are made of fabric that keep you cool and specific treads that keep you warm. The apparel manufacturers make light waterproof jackets. As far as the shoes go, you will find the most innovation....they make them similar to athletic shoes or sneaker. The trend now is soft spikes but a lot of players are playing in spike-less golf shoes. Waterproof and comfort.

Golf and high fashion, who would have thunk it. Nike is leading the way....

What is a “functional golf shirt”? I wear golf shirts to work on occasion. So do many of my colleagues that do not play golf. I see people at the coffee shop in golf shirts. Common sight at restaurants, malls, on the street and anywhere else males might be seen in populations of greater than about 3. I doubt any of the think they will be called to the tee at a moment’s notice.

functional golf shirt?

I think I wore a collared shirt and shorts (but that is normal for me anyway). May have worn tennis shoes or some kind of slip on deals. You walk a ton at these things if you are attempting to follow a certain group. I could see where some soft spikes would be handy. I remember that we had trouble keeping up at Valhalla as it is sort of hilly and you are never taking a direct line like the player's are.

In Germany they call the type of fabric that keeps you cool "functional". Sorry thought is was common. Maybe it's because golf is more a wide sports in the US than its in Germany. People have reservations of golf being of the hook and only for better earners. You don't see people on the streets with golf shirts Although they can look like a good polo shirt. I always wear golf gear when I play golf, I ALWAYS wear long golf trousers, never shorts, but I don't blame players who don't. I just would never have the idea of ​​wearing these things that are made to practice golf when I'm not playing. There are significantly cozier clothes that also look better. Don't get me wrong, I want to seriously understand why these people don't wear things they would have worn to have a drink in the city.

OP made me laugh, as did some responses. Then, I remembered. I don't attend many pro events. When I do I just dress with some respect for the sport/venue, and take the conditions into account. I took my son to the US Open down the road at Pebble last year. We had a great time. It was actually my first time seeing Tiger in person. It was like the pope was coming though as we sat on the side one of the fairways. The crowd grew. The excitement grew, and we got to see other fans we wouldn't see for the rest of the day. I remember seeing jorts, perhaps some big gold chains, etc. Haha...

Just looked at our two photos from each day in front of the clubhouse - black golf trousers in one, gray golf trousers in the other! Turned out a little warmer than usual and I hadn't taken along cargo shorts, but not ashamed to admit I had the jeans along in case it was a little cooler, lol. My daughter would likely have talked me out of wearing them.

The nice weather did bring out a lot of ladies in smart looking dresses but other than that for the most part (and OP seems to be trolling this along a bit) people were wearing . . . . . clothes.

I will say the only person I recall thinking was headed for a likely rendezvous with security and ban from the premises was wearing a nice sport coat and business attire!