Going to a tour event in golf clothes

seeing a gorgeous lady in a dress and high shoes at a golf tournament is where i draw the line. It's distracting if she's not with me

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra F6 Baffler  16 Atmos 7
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Atmos 7
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Nike VaporProCombo 4-AW DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People who think they need cleats to traverse the treacherous grounds of a highly manicured golf course have not spent much time in nature where people do all sorts of things in actual rough terrain w

Golf clothes are made for comfort on the golf course. And they work. That's my reasoning anyway.

I went to the Open at Royal St Georges the year Ben Curtis won. Another guy in our group had never been to a tournament before and someone told him to dress smartly. He pitched up in a pair of leather

I suppose one could wear a Dan. Craig tuxedo or a pair of overalls from Hee Haw! Golf clothes on a golf course? Who would have thought of that?

Cobra F9 10.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
Cobra F9 16.0, UST Helium 49 A Flex
TXG Custom SIM Max 7-wood, Accra 140 2.0 M2
Sonartec MD 23* Hybrid, UST Irod A Flex 
TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal 6-pw, "B" heads, 1* up, + 1/2", UST Recoil ESX 460 R, Soft Stepped Once
Mizuno S18 50/07, KBS Tour 110 R
Ping Glide 1.0 55*, Accra 90i R
TXG Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, DG S300
Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

I used to cover a lot of tour events, and one of he first lessons that was passed on by an experienced scribe was to wear golf shoes and bring rain gear, as you couldn't count on the weather. And inevitably there were always a handful of occasions at every event I covered (and more if the weather was bad) where I watched someone bust their ass because their slick-soled shoes or sneakers didn't provide enough traction on wet grass. ... Now I'm not saying I ever went full saddle oxfords, but athletic-style/sneaker golf shoes have been available for at least 20 years.

Otherwise, it's called "dressing for the occasion," and it's what adults do. ... What you're suggesting is like wearing jorts and a beer-stained PBR t-shirt to church, or white golf slacks/shorts to a dusty/dirty rodeo, or casual Friday wear to a Monday corporate board meeting. Hell, even my son knew better on his own than to wear his favorite Batman costume to the first day of preschool.

And you're right, people do judge a book by its cover, so why bring unneeded attention to yourself because you choose to let a 13 year old choose your wardrobe? ... And I'd be willing to bet that rep still regales his co-workers about the time that skater punk showed up at his booth and said he was a 9, and gets lots of laughs.

Hi,

I'm located in Duesseldorf, western Germany and yes, people here think that Golf is a sport for old rich men. The average golfer here is over 55 years old.

Let's forget about the golf shoes, I accept that they can be reasonable for some weather conditions. But going to a golf event in Dubai, where 365 days a year the sun is shining it never makes sense. I've never attended a golf event here in Germany so I don't know if it's a common thing here but I guess not. And don't get me wrong but I think wearing cargo shorts is never appropriate anywhere unless you need to store pounds of stuff in your pants to survive in the wilderness. I went to a couple marathons and none of the spectators was wearing running gear. Is it because most of them are no athletes? Same for tennis events.

Synthetic cloth do have advantages especially when you're doing sports but the disadvantages outweigh when you're not doing sports.

• Like 1

I think it's fun to wear non golf clothes on the course as it feels different. However, any chance I get to wear my golf gear gives me more reason to buy more than I need, so I think I will wear it to tournaments. Shoes though, the max I'd go are the hybrids. Spikes are a bit much for spectators.

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

I attend(ed) the Waste Management Phoenix Open, regularly, and frequently on Saturday. Wearing golf attire is pretty common, maybe not with a glove.

And the women dress as if they were headed to a cocktail party or to the club. I don't hear many complaints, but sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate as well as it could.... and those poor women look quite cold!!

However, there are all kinds of dress options. Who cares what someone wears, especially shoes? Watching those women slip down some of the hills is worth the price of admission.

Lots of people at golf tournaments follow a player round. How many of those spectators at marathons wound up following someone round the course? If they did, do you think they would be wearing running attire?

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump
Taylor Made UDI 2 iron Diamana Tensei white 90TX
Titleist 714CB 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 and 56 WS
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

One can see that you have a very good knowledge of the Germans and their way of dressing. You are absolutely right that all Germans dress like this.This is my point. Why do you dress up like you were a player!? You are not, you are not even practicing. I don't blame people for it, although I find it a little silly, I just want to understand it. Dress how ever it's appropriate but from my point of view it doesn't make any sense to show up dressed like a player ready to tee off.

Obviously wearing a golf shirt is fine ... and as some have said on here, golf shoes are acceptable if it's wet/comfort thing.

But to the crowd that does the full outfit/kit, with wristbands/towels (yes I've seen this plenty) - you're not fooling anyone. You're not a Tour player.

Now if you're doing the full garb for a bit for one of the mid-carders (like Rory Sabbatini, Chesson Hadley, etc), that's kinda fun.