2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Mizuno M-Craft putters

GolfWRX

On 3/25/2021 at 3:46 AM, TooSteep said:

+1. I am looking at ordering a M.Craft Type I from FairwayJockey with a Stability Tour shaft, and they give two options - .390 and .370. Do they both work with the M.Craft Type I head or is that a mistake? If they both work, what are the advantages of one over the other?

also interested! Just picked up the IV and the stability shaft is on sale here- the tip of the shaft is .370. Will that work with the IV?

Just got the Mcraft VI (6) in black and brought it to Club Champion for a fitting. I know that it's whole purpose is to be face balanced, but with the 13g in the toe and the 8g in the heel, it is phenomenal. I tried a slew of Bettinardi's, Scotty's, and others. The only putter that rivals it, IMO is the L.A.B. putter. Thankfully, that thing is such a monstrosity that I'm not looking back.

My only negative comment on the putter is that the grip is ridiculously small. I plan to get the a P2 classic grip to go with it.

My question for the forum is, what is the weight of the stock grip? I tried looking up the Lamkin Deep Etched Full Blue cord, but it's stated weight of 85g seems like way too much. Is that actually correct? Supposing that's true and I want to change the feel  as little as possible, would I be better off with a 65g or 126g grip? Euclid would say 65, but sometimes these subtleties are non-linear.

C4D33D72-70F6-4848-9D68-FC11A7F04BA8.jpeg

8561A4D7-8880-4E39-AA5B-CE186E17FF9F.jpeg

70CFC7BA-A7C7-4EB2-8FDC-7191AE27B487.jpeg

DRIVER: Taylormade SIM 2 6* - Project X S Black XS; 3W: Titleist TSi2 14*; IRONS: Mizuno Pro 225 GW-4i ProjectX 6.5, Mizuno MP-20 HMB 2i; WEDGES (52,56,60): Mizuno T20; PUTTER: Mizuno M-Craft VI 35"

I ultimately went with the 65g P2 Classic Tour grip. https://p2grips.com/shop-putter-grips/p2-classic-tour/ I'll report how the 20g drop in weight changes the properties of the putter.

DRIVER: Taylormade SIM 2 6* - Project X S Black XS; 3W: Titleist TSi2 14*; IRONS: Mizuno Pro 225 GW-4i ProjectX 6.5, Mizuno MP-20 HMB 2i; WEDGES (52,56,60): Mizuno T20; PUTTER: Mizuno M-Craft VI 35"

On 4/19/2021 at 3:59 PM, ElMacho said:

I ultimately went with the 65g P2 Classic Tour grip. https://p2grips.com/shop-putter-grips/p2-classic-tour/ I'll report how the 20g drop in weight changes the properties of the putter.

Swing weight should increase making the head feel heavier. Could make it feel even more stable with the weight. If your not used to a heavier putter, my experience is I tend to leave putts short until I get the feel of it. Just takes some time. 

the 85gm grip that came with is quite normal I would say for a rubber grip. Those are preferred by many due to their feel and feedback. With the milling of the mizuno, you will probably feel a difference going to the p2. Not a bad difference necessarily, but a difference in feedback as well as head weight. 

hope it works out well! 

Just picked up #2 a few days ago.  Selected it over the Scotty special select newport.  Mizuno had must better feel and sharp lines.  Putted with it yesterday on course .. it's so sweet!  Great putters. 

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

I bought a M Craft 1 on a whim and it’s been my putter that I keep in the house to roll putts on the carpet. It’s now officially made the bag of 14. 

I’ve never had a high end milled putter before but am absolutely loving the feel of this putter. Plus, I’ve changed my stroke from SBST to more of a swinging door stroke and the M1 just fits that type of stroke better. 

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

Rolled around 500 putts or so with the Type 2 just practicing around and I’m in love. Very soft feel and very comparable to my 1997 SC Laguna in a similar carbon steel. Huge fan of that. Replaced the grip with an Edel round grip. 

I find the putter weight nice. I use the lightest weights in the kit. I will agree that it is a heavy putter but I think the light weights feel very “normal”.

I do wonder if I were to dunk it in a vinegar bath overnight if I could get a raw finish since it’s carbon steel. Once the black finish wears off....maybe...

E17E3E77-562D-4A70-B17D-6C00B5356E4B.jpeg

765326F9-FD6C-404D-B7F4-6F5BE0A7050C.jpeg

Driver : Ping G410 LST w/ Evenflow Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TS2 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade M5 Ti w/ GD BB7x

Irons: Miura CB57 w/ KBS C-taper 125 (4-9i)

Wedges: Raw Zip-core 46, 54, 58 & SM7 50

Putter: Ping Tyne 4 w/ BGT Stability 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have experiences of using the black M Craft on recently-fertilized greens? My Black Carbon Bettinardi has managed fertilizers without any issues but I've seen and heard of black Camerons being ruined by them.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

On 4/28/2021 at 6:21 PM, Boomersooner523 said:

Rolled around 500 putts or so with the Type 2 just practicing around and I’m in love. Very soft feel and very comparable to my 1997 SC Laguna in a similar carbon steel. Huge fan of that. Replaced the grip with an Edel round grip. 

I find the putter weight nice. I use the lightest weights in the kit. I will agree that it is a heavy putter but I think the light weights feel very “normal”.

I do wonder if I were to dunk it in a vinegar bath overnight if I could get a raw finish since it’s carbon steel. Once the black finish wears off....maybe...

E17E3E77-562D-4A70-B17D-6C00B5356E4B.jpeg

765326F9-FD6C-404D-B7F4-6F5BE0A7050C.jpeg

Soak the head in coke, should strip off the finish. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• 2 months later...

Its not like I need another putter, but....

I recently put the M Craft 3 in white satin in the bag. Just to many favorable try outs at the store. Damn putter rolls the ball very well and the feel I have with it is addictive.

So far, on the course has yielded excellent results. Its impressive, and so is  my confidence on putts .

We will see after what goes on after the honeymoon, lol's

Edited by puttingmatt

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

10 minutes ago, YetiOne said:

Even if its plated? 

If it's a black chrome won't come off. A power coat it should. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• 2 weeks later...

I got to roll these at 2nd Swing.  Wow!!!!  Miss the feel of a non-insert milled putter.  I have my search narrowed down to 3, which includes the Mizuno IV.  I'm surprised none of the Mizuno Staffers aren't rolling these.  Mizuno has made awesome putters going back to the late 80s early 90s.  My guess marketing.  Only negative I found was the headcover and possibly the grip, but both are easy fixes.

So I rolled the Blue Ion #1 all summer. Certainly one of the best putters I have ever played. I'd probably put it at #2. Feel and distance control was excellent. The included weight kit got me dialed in based on my stroke. Ended up with 3g on the heel and 13g on the toe. I think if I had a top sightline rather than flange, it could have been #1.

Now switching back to a brand new 12 year old 8882 blade. My previous 8882 I rank #1 now after trying many different putters the past year to see if anything was better. 

Anyone looking for either a Scotty or Betti should seriously consider the M Craft. 

Current 2024 Bag

TM Stealth HD Ventus Blue
Ping 425 15.5* 3 wood Tensei Orange Raw
Ping 410 18*, 22*, 27* Hybrids 
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 6i thru GW 
Taylormade ATV Original 2012 56* and 60* KBS 120
Cleveland Frontline 2.0 or Never Compromise Gambler LTD

Vice Pro 

• 2 weeks later...

I put a P2 on my V and am making a lot of good putts.   
the p2 is a heavy weight and the V’s sweet spot seems to have shrunk a tad but everything is rolling down my line and a perfect stroke is just a rewarding feel.  

being able to change things with the weight kit is really nice, Mizuno is leading the way I think.  Bet others will be doing a similar thing soon.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I have looked into this for awhile because for some reason I think a raw looking putter (like those PING PLD's and NCW putters) are amazing looking. I have the black finish on mine and I tried all the tricks...Salt water, coke, and a lemon juice/vinegar bath overnight. 

No of these have stripped the finish but I will say I think I did start some rust with the vinegar bath overnight then wrapped it in a salty rag. 

Truth is if you really want it raw, you will have to find a local powder coater to run it in a acid bath or something like that to strip it. I called my local guy and it's about $100 to strip it no matter the size...kinda pricey. I just tore up a member guest and made some awesome putts so I think I may take the plunge over the winter and strip it. I also want to throw a BB&f Co. ferrule on it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boomersooner523 said:

I have looked into this for awhile because for some reason I think a raw looking putter (like those PING PLD's and NCW putters) are amazing looking. I have the black finish on mine and I tried all the tricks...Salt water, coke, and a lemon juice/vinegar bath overnight. 

No of these have stripped the finish but I will say I think I did start some rust with the vinegar bath overnight then wrapped it in a salty rag. 

Truth is if you really want it raw, you will have to find a local powder coater to run it in a acid bath or something like that to strip it. I called my local guy and it's about $100 to strip it no matter the size...kinda pricey. I just tore up a member guest and made some awesome putts so I think I may take the plunge over the winter and strip it. I also want to throw a BB&f Co. ferrule on it.

Do you have any pics of the rust it created?

2 hours ago, Boomersooner523 said:

Just get it sandblasted, might have to anyways to get that coating off! Raw one would look sick too!!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

2 hours ago, jtj74 said:

I have $300 in shop credit I need to burn. That's perfect to grab one of these. I just can't decide between the I, IV or V. I like them all equally. 

I used to swap out putters about once a month.  Put the M Craft 1 in my bag 18 months ago and haven’t even thought about taking it out since.

• Like 1

I've had the M Craft 1 in the bag all season and it's been great.  I never thought I'd be a high toe flow type of putter but this has been a lot of fun and a good fit for my stroke.  Someone wrote earlier that the feel is addictive and I'd have to agree.  It's just an awesome feeling piece of equipment.  I actually want to get a IV this winter and play around with it.  

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

16 hours ago, luke1333 said:

Just get it sandblasted, might have to anyways to get that coating off! Raw one would look sick too!!

I thought about the sandblasting route but I think the media used in sandblasting would be a little rough on the grooved face. If I can find someone who uses walnut blasting that might be the way to go. Dipping it in a stripper doesnt bother me since I want to pull the head anyways to put a ferrule on after I bore it out to .370 to fit the Mizuno shaft.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:31 PM, sleepyeg said:

Haven't had the chance to roll this yet on course, but I love the look and feel on carpet. 

PXL_20210913_120144320.jpg

PXL_20210913_120121596.jpg

Did you purchase with the Stability shaft or add after?  Curious to the tip diameter and since it is a flow new if this actually went over the hosel vs in like a plumber's neck.  I have the same putter and was thinking of adding.  Worst case I could sent to BGT to have it installed when winter gets here.

9 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Did you purchase with the Stability shaft or add after?  Curious to the tip diameter and since it is a flow new if this actually went over the hosel vs in like a plumber's neck.  I have the same putter and was thinking of adding.  Worst case I could sent to BGT to have it installed when winter gets here.

I bought the Stability Shaft when it was first released years ago and was planning on a build but life happened and I actually forgot about it. If my memory serves me correctly, it should be a .370 tip.  The Stability Shaft goes over the hosel FYI.