2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Miura v. Mizuno (My experience.)

FescueFinder

10 hours ago, beazy33 said:

Grindworks is another brand that I would love to try someday. The forged CNC milled heads on the PR-202 are stunning.

They are unbelievable up close.  You can see (and feel) the precision that went into these clubs.  

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 10:23 PM, hagimihale said:

They are unbelievable up close.  You can see (and feel) the precision that went into these clubs.  

Loving my PR-202s. I believe that I saw on another thread you mentioned that they were a "dense soft" and I would totally agree. It's an addicting feel and I love the turf interaction with the pre-worn leading edge. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Feel is much more a direct result of the design rather than the materials.  I find many of my Mizuno irons to be more on the soft side, whereas the Miuras are more solid.  However, the softest feeling irons I've ever hit were raw Srixon 745s.  Those were ridiculous.  Something about removing the chrome plating possibly...

• Like 1

@Noodler, as a long-time Mizuno gamer (and having hit my buddy's Miuras) I would agree with your assessment.  Mizuno on the softer side, Miura more solid.  Flushing a Mizuno pure has almost no feel at impact, almost like you were taking a practice swing.   My buddy's Miura wedges felt solid, but the feel was addicting and I wanted to keep hitting them.  

The PR-202s feel like they are softer than the Miura but not as much as the Mizuno.  Like ringing a proper church bell that's been tuned for a very specific musical note.  When struck well, the feedback rings out like that bell - even and pure. Its almost as good as sex.  Almost. 🙂  

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give a detailed review of the Miura Milled Tour Wedges please?

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Hey everyone, so I am I normally shoot about 85-95 I know that's a broad range. I am currently gaming Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons with NS Pro950 gh HT stiff shafts but was actually looking at switching out to the Miura CB-301. Has anyone here had experience with the CB-301 and could share their thoughts please? I tend to hit the jpx900 forged lower launch/flight and lower spin and looking for something higher launching, more spin, and a bit more forgiveness but still keeping that soft forged feel. I also noticed my turf interaction with the jpx900 forged wasn't the greatest either. I tried the Srixon zx5 based on how many raved about it and good reviews it got but the feel just wasn't the same but I did like the extra fogginess it gave. How does the Miura CB-301 compare to JPX900 forged in terms of forgiveness?

I was looking/thinking about the Miura CB-301 with NS Pro950 NEO shafts?

Thanks guys, I would really appreciate your guys feedback

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 8:16 AM, rugbydave said:

Also, don't let your handicap deter you from blades.  You are not on tour and one missed shot doesn't cost $100,000.  Blades will force you to become a better ball striker which is the name of the game. 

Well said!
Also, in your post you summarized impressions of various Miura irons really well. Thanks! 

Edited by coloradogolf
spelling
  • Like 1

Woods:  Titleist TSR3 8°, TSi3 13.5°, TSi3 Hybrid 18°
Irons:  Miura MB-101 1i-PW

Wedges: Miura Tour 51°, 56°, 60°

Putter: Axis1 Tour-B, Miura KM-008

• 3 months later...

Don’t forget the other Japanese forged irons, Honma!  I have a mixed bag of Honma TW747V irons 4-PW with Mizuno driver Fairway woods and two hybrids with Miura 60, 56, 52 wedges.

the Honma irons I have found is a feeling somewhere between the Mizuno irons and Miura irons.  I love them all Japanese forged irons feel like no other irons.  And I love my Mizuno woods & hybrids!  I think the comment about the shafts making a huge difference is on point!  Thanks for the review / experience.  Good read.

I have both sets of the 57s.

I hit the small blades better than any other blades I have used (a lot) so I am in that camp with them.  

I love Mizuno like anyone that has any taste in irons, but the comments here are pretty accurate.  Miura has an electric feel that is just awesome.  I still remember when I got my small blades and took to range, an 8 was my first swing and I was playing well at time and just putting them, I had a grin ear to ear and even laughed.  Yeah, the differences are subtle and you get used to it and don’t notice much anymore and all that, but the first time you experience miura  you get it if you compress the ball.

Since this is in the jdm section, I have roddio i10s on my 1957cbs.  I had them in a set of the miura forged onoff split backs (another great miura set) and they are to me a fantastic carbon iron shaft.  

edit-someone mentioned Vega on here.  Only set I actually regret selling was some vm01s.  Vega is like a Mizuno and miura baby.  Like a hammer hitting a nail with a pillow in between.  

Edited by Bigmean

I bought a set of CB-57s a few years back and they are great. Shafts a little too light and need to have them re-shafted to perfection. However, Usher had these Miura Giken CB-1006 conforming irons for sale and had to make an impulse buy. I am a sucker for clean cavity back irons like the MP-60, J33CB, Titleist CB. The CB-1006 might as well be a muscle back, because that cavity ain’t forgiving sh*t.  It feels better to me than the CB-57, and they might even last a few rounds before I buy something new! 

Wish I knew a little more about the 1006. They were originally released in 2006 and the ones I got were from a limited release that featured conforming grooves. Rest is a mystery to me.  The early(ish), utilitarian Miura Giken look with all the writing is awesome. Anyone else ever used these?

PXL_20220124_022357603.jpg

Edited by PlayfromtheBrain
  • Like 3

On 9/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, hypergolf said:

Can anyone give a detailed review of the Miura Milled Tour Wedges please?

• Pretty low bounce, small soles that work very well in tight and firm conditions. Not the greatest or most forgiving when its a little wetter. 
  • What you see is what you get - small head size, sharp grooves (they chew balls early on)
  • Absolutely stunning in terms of looks
  • No very forgiving on mishits compared to some of the modern wedges with more perimeter weighting
  • Excellent feel as you'd expect, very soft and dense feeling/sounding
  • Nice leading edge design, pretty straight but still easy to open up and it still sits "right"
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PlayfromtheBrain said:

I bought a set of CB-57s a few years back and they are great. Shafts a little too light and need to have them re-shafted to perfection. However, Usher had these Miura Giken CB-1006 conforming irons for sale and had to make an impulse buy. I am a sucker for clean cavity back irons like the MP-60, J33CB, Titleist CB. The CB-1006 might as well be a muscle back, because that cavity ain’t forgiving sh*t.  It feels better to me than the CB-57, and they might even last a few rounds before I buy something new! 

Wish I knew a little more about the 1006. They were originally released in 2006 and the ones I got were from a limited release that featured conforming grooves. Rest is a mystery to me.  The early(ish), utilitarian Miura Giken look with all the writing is awesome. Anyone else ever used these?

So you’re the one who bought them from Chip!  Saved me some dough but still miffed I decided to wait for just one more day.  Let me know when you’re ready to move em along! 😉 

• Like 1

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

1 hour ago, PlayfromtheBrain said:

@PlayfromtheBrain These CB-1006's = reminiscent of the Titleist DCI990 (IMHO) ... but presumably feel a world apart!

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/dci-990

image.png.375dc745c2e2df9ef062e4459bfb4b1f.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drpino said:

So you’re the one who bought them from Chip!  Saved me some dough but still miffed I decided to wait for just one more day.  Let me know when you’re ready to move em along! 😉 

Haha! Deal! I wasn’t sure how long they had been for sale or if anyone else cared to buy them but I couldn’t resist. They are great irons. Exactly as I expected. 

5 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@PlayfromtheBrain These CB-1006's = reminiscent of the Titleist DCI990 (IMHO) ... but presumably feel a world apart!

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/dci-990

image.png.375dc745c2e2df9ef062e4459bfb4b1f.png

Now that’s a great comparison that I hadn’t thought of…

On 8/11/2020 at 11:22 AM, FescueFinder said:

Chonk,
Well said, mate. It sounds strange to say, but I know that feeling that you're talking about with a well struck Miura. It is a beautiful thing.
I've been grinding a lot over the past months and got a job in a golf shop. I'm now playing MC-501's and absolutely love them. Since I posted this thread I'm down 8 strokes on my cap, mostly due to having a couple putting and driving lessons. My ball striking with irons was never the issue.
Glad to see the thread is still going. I am a true believer in the notion that there is no substitute for quality in irons now. Shinagawa and Miura are the best feeling imo and I am a sucker for feel.@Hotdocta the MC-501's do feel incredible, but even though I bag them, having hit the baby blades, I believe they feel the best. No support at all though and a mishit on cold day could scare you for the rest of a round. I couldn't handle the pressure and went with some forgiveness. @cardoustie I've got to give those Bridgestones a shot. You're the second person who has said that to me, so it must be true! I feel ya about worse things to spend money on. I used to love tuning my car. Put $25,000 into it and made it so appealing that it got stolen and chopped. Insurance covered about 30% of the cost. It was heartbreaking. Golf is cheaper, and I love it more than I ever could any car!
Hope everyone is safe out there and shooting low!
Also, if anyone is interested, I was gonna do a short write up on TC-201 vs CB-301 since we have demos I've hit extensively. Let me know if anyone is at all interested.

How can i get access on your write up on the 201 vs 301? 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, Bigmean said:

Ohhh I can relate to this……

Pretty much the bane of my existence in this sport. Loved golf before and now that I love JDM products...my world seems so expansive haha

Driver: Ping G425 SFT 10.5* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 5S

Fairway Wood: Ping G425 SFT 3 Wood & 5 Wood

Hybrids: Ping G425 4-Hybrid (Ventus Blue)

Irons: Proto Concept C01TB 5-PW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105S

Wedges: Proto Concept Forged CB 50*, Miura K-Grind 2.0 54* & 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER5 w/ Stability Tour 2 Shaft

• 6 months later...

Hoping this can get some eyes on it, but does anyone have experience with Mizuno 223's vs TC-201 or CB-301?

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | LIN-Q M40x White 6F5

Cobra Darkspeed LS 14.5º +1º | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105TX

Cobra King Tour (5-6) / CB (7-PW) | KBS $-Taper HT 125 S+

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: Pro V1x

On 8/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, STank724 said:

Hoping this can get some eyes on it, but does anyone have experience with Mizuno 223's vs TC-201 or CB-301?

223 feel pretty good and the CB-301 are a touch more forgiving than the TC-201 but not by a huge margin. I honestly think the TC-201 feel as smooth as the MB-101 that I split my set with. They’re good feeling clubs. I’d say Mizuno have a softer feel kind of like pillowy and Miura are close to a blend of Mizuno and a Titleist - soft but solid. Miura have such a dense feeling. It’s different for sure. 

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Milled 7T CH

Titleist Pro V1