Mavrik vs SIM

johnnylongballz72

I didn't test ts3 directly against sim and mavrik. But I did test ts3 against m5 and m6. Ts3 is a very, very solid performer on ballspeed. Biggest drawback on ts3 was the spin fluctuation on off center strikes. With m5 my spin numbers were very consistent. I think I saw 300-400 rpm difference total. With ts3 I popped a couple around 1800 and a couple at 3000.

TM is really consistent on spin and they kept it in sim.

Hit the SIM yesterday at Golf Galaxy. 8.0 degree with the Ventus Blue 6X they make for Taylormade. Was very surprised by the numbers. Carrying 295 average 6 yards off center average, 1200-1600 rpm average. Totaling 313 yards average. I know the Ventus Blue that comes standard on the SIM does not have Velocore but I was impressed by the shafts feel. Would purchase the shaft alone to replace my HZRDUS Black.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5* | Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X

Callaway Paradym TD 18* | Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Mizuno MP32 4-PW | KBS $ Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey TVD 50R, 54M, 58M | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan GSS DH89 | Nippon N.S.Pro 140

While my spin rates may be low, I’ll take those averages as a whole any day. I play a 9.0 degree M5 Tour. Just hit what they had on the rack. I guess my point was more towards the Ventus Blue 6X shaft made for Taylormade that I was so surprised with.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5* | Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X

Callaway Paradym TD 18* | Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Mizuno MP32 4-PW | KBS $ Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey TVD 50R, 54M, 58M | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan GSS DH89 | Nippon N.S.Pro 140

Just had a quick range session and grabbed both the Sim and Mavrik.

loved the Mavrik it felt amazing was super consistent and has made me want to go get fit.

The Taylormade was very uninspiring, it felt harsh and cheap compared to the Mavrik.

wasnt planning on buying a new driver but the Callaway was such a great feeling and sounding club it was addictive to hit

• Like 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

? lol

good job we all have different tastes.

our group of 4 all agreed on how bad the TM felt, and 2 of them play TM drivers

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

I gave the 12 degree Mavrik another shot, dialed it down to 11 degrees and the put the stock riptide in it. The club really came alive, big hooks became baby draws and it was getting out there with a long high carry. Have 2 rounds coming up this weekend and will see how it fares on the course.

• Like 2

So far I am thoroughly enjoying my 9 degree standard Mavrik with the Ventus Blue 6x. I only have three rounds with it in the bag, but I have driven the ball exceptionally well thus far. I find the Mavrik to be really forgiving on balls hit slightly high in the toe (my miss). I didn't think anything was going to knock my G400 Max out of the bag permanently, but I think Mavrik may have done it.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

One thing I wanted to note on the Mavrik is the toe forgiveness. I hit 3 shots on the range out on the toe that were just awful strikes. All turned into high draws that would have center cut the fairway with only minimal distance loss. My first reaction was wow that didn’t feel good and I don’t like but then I immediately realized holy cow that driver turned a crap shot into something that would have kept me in the hole.

Went to St. Louis Golf Expo on Feb. 7 and 8.

Got to talk to the area Callaway rep about drivers and woods. For fairway woods, the base Mavrik and Mavrik MAX are both designed to encourage higher launch. I hit the Mavrik 3W... 15 degree .. with Mamiya Helium Black 45 gr. R shaft. I could get good launch with it, encouraging to me because I have been 4W + 7W for nine seasons. No test 4Ws - Mav or MMAX - available.

I had hit a MavrikMAX 5W with Helium Black 50 gr. shaft two weeks ago at a golf shop, and it launched well. (The Helium Black has very good balance feel for such a light shaft.)

Rep said the clubhead "sets back" a little when soled, to encourage better launch. He said lots of people want to use a 3W instead of 4W (pride thing), so Callaway is putting weight lower to encourage launch.

TM tent had long line all day, so I went online to TaylorMade 2020, I saw the same idea in the SIM fairway woods. The SIM ads tout the return of the V-Steel (circa 2006) heavy sole, with more weight low to encourage better launch. TM attempted to tap this sentiment in 2012 with the arrival of the 17* 3W/HL (a 4W in everyone else's house). Tour Edge shifted this way in last year's EXS model, offering 3Ws in 13*, 15* and 17* lofts.

I never have understood the 4W phobia. Clubfitters say they try to fit male golfers with either 3W + 5W, or 4W + 7W ... whichever works best. Some can handle 3W, others can't.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

You'll never get those carry averages on a course, that ball will be nosediving out of the air. Foresight's flight algorithm is well known to greatly exaggerate distance with super low spin conditions (I own a GC2). 1200-1600 spin on a real golf course is a terrible idea.

• Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS3/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

I've hit the Sim and Mavrik Sub Zero. and own the Sim Max with Ventus Blue Velocore.

Personally, the Sub Zero sounded the best of the bunch to me, and with some fitting, the Sim completely eliminated the left side for me.

In my experience, the Sim Max sound varies A LOT. High on the face sounds hollow and muted, low toe sounds amazing, and perfectly flushed sounds good, but a bit more muted than I'm used to. I was really stretching a twilight round this week, and it was basically completely dark on the 18th. I hit a tee shot with a red Callaway Supersoft that I'd found on the prior hole and, while I couldn't see it at all off the face, I was sure I'd hit a mediocre strike, short and offline, but couldn't tell where. To my surprise, the ball was 60 yards off the green, dead center of the fairway.

From both looks and results perspectives, the Sim Max has been pretty amazing, however sounding great on off center strikes has not been it's strong suit in my experience.

My biggest gripe with both the TM and Callaway offerings is that the finishes are pretty fragile. After a handful of rounds, there are some small mars on the paint on the underside of the club, and I've taken great care of it and done nothing stupid. One of the things I really appreciated about my G400 Max was the bulletproof black matte finish, and heavy duty sole paint. Unlike the ridiculous Hydropearl iron finish, the ping wood finish was extremely sturdy.

The last point I'd make about the Max is that it is a BOOOOOOOOOOOMBER. I've hit my longest drives for years with this thing and it's not close. I'm also new to the TM Adapter, and while it can feel a little constraining by forcing you to open/close the face with loft adjustments, I've also found it useful. Opening the face 1.5 degrees has really allowed me to turn it over as hard as I want without fear of a big left miss.

TL:DR - They're all good drivers. Sim Max can sound a bit weird, but performance has been unmatched for me.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• 1 month later...

Chiming in here. Yesterday I got to hit Mavrik SZ, Sim, and Sim Max on trackman. Initially the Mavrik jumped out to me and I really loved the feel/sound and was getting great results. After tinkering with the Sim, though, I got my fastest ball speeds I've ever seen. Not only was it jumping off the face, but I was getting consistent flight with a really tight dispersion. Interesting to hear some people knocking the sound of the Sim. I will say, when we initially were hitting it on trackman, it sounded incredible. Deep, muted, and really solid. But after, I went to 2nd swing here in Minneapolis to trade in a few clubs and put it an order. I hit it a couple times there and thought it sounded loud and abrasive. I really think a lot of it comes back to acoustics at specific locations. Can't wait to try it outdoors here shortly!

I bought a sim, played it for a week. Traded it for the mavrik sz after hitting it at demo day. The sim was not consistent on course for me at all...tired multiple shafts too. My 2017 m1 is still rock solid with the same shafts, but sim was all over the map. Driving the ball is one of my strong points..I average over 70% fairways hit. Sim was great on launch monitor, but it didn't transfer to the course. Reminded me of the SLDR where it could hit bombs, but overall it was psycho for me on course.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

So.......

im still looking at getting a new driver, a recent Mavrik fitting got me quite a bit of extra distance but accuracy suffered. I had written off the SIM as it didn’t impress me on its first trial. Today was different, performance wise it’s a beast, yes I think the Mavrik blows it out of the water with regard feel but the SIM was Mightily impressive with regard performance. Seriously I have never had those launch conditions before. Further testing needed

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

same shafts, I found the Mavrik SZ longest. BUT i can't get over the look of the crown at address. I'm a huge fan of the TM crown face alignment. Im a little shorter with the SIM Max but i feel confident aiming and locating. I found the SIM Max more comforting vs the SIM for the TM drivers. Accuracy trumps distance every time. SIM is the first TM driver i've liked since M1/2.

• Like 1

The fitter couldn’t quite get the Mavrik dialled in, he put it down to the difference in head weights, Ping one of the heaviest out there, Callaway on the opposite scale.

unfortunately in the fittings I have had, I have never had a fitter add or even remove weights to adjust the head weights.

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Just saw this. SLAUGHTER

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Callaway just sold a ton of Mavriks with the Ventus Black!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope