Mavrik Love

Chip2win

Wish I could get some more info and feedback on the stock shafts. Dicks by me only has the Riptide. What I am seeing is somewhat surprising, been there 3 times hitting it and the 50S seems to be good. Usually play much heavier shafts like 65 or 70. I have hit the 9 and the 10.5 turned down to 9.5, (that is the one I have be a better launch angle) I don’t know if it is the head, shaft, or a combination of those two but I am consistently seeing higher swing speeds and very good spin numbers around 2000-2300. My typical SS is 103-106. Here are a couple good hits, not my best as that is not fair to show. These were hit good but not buttoned - when I buttoned it my SS hit 110 and the ball speed hit 160 and spin was still good. I am very intrigued by this head - and surprisingly this lighter shaft

5A8PTZL67G1D.jpeg

LHBIKQ33R3F6.jpeg

I was recently fitted into the SZ driver head with Accra TZ6. The shape and sound are just about perfect. According to the WRX podcast episode with David Neville from Callaway, the Mavrik SZ head was heavily influenced by the Epic Flash triple diamond head. I have never hit a triple diamond head but I love the idea of a driver designed to defend against the high toe duck hook miss. I was also fit into the Mavrik (standard version) 4-wood which was an absolute bomber as well. Numbers were as good or better than SIM, but I hit the Cally much more consistently. Love the $100 price difference between the two as well. Take my money.

Will bring this thread back to life. I was planning on going to the sim today, but ended up having about an hour and a half window before my kid’s basketball game, and the weather here in NJ cooperated to head to the course. Was jonesing to try out my new Mavrik and Mavrik Max drivers, and Mavrik Max 3W and HW. I had three shafts for the two driver heads (both 10.5* heads)—Oban Hashimoto 65 S, Rogue White 60 R, and Speeder Evo VI 661 SR. Obviously, with all of the shaft and head combos, plus different weighting options in the Max heads, and limited time, I was a bit rushed. But here are my initial findings.

Both driver heads are excellent. Totally forgiving. No data to prove it, but Max head seemed higher spin. Was able to hit some draws and some fades with both heads (ahem, not always on command...). Max heads with the 14g weight in the heal for more draw bias, definitely introduced more spin than with the 14g weight in the rear. I don’t think the Max driver head necessarily needs the greater draw bias, so my quick findings today preferred the 14g weight in the rear for more forgiveness and lower spin.

Of the three shafts, the Speeder is fitted to me and works well, and I really liked the Rogue White. Hashimoto was last in consistency, so I focused my time on the other two shafts. Both drivers look great at address. Max oozes confidence. Standard head looks powerful. Liked the feel and sound from both heads. Obviously, if you don’t want to pick up both heads, get fitted. Having both heads, I will give them some more testing. I have a feeling it will come down to choosing the max forgiveness of the Max with slightly higher spin, or the lower spin and slightly less forgiveness of the standard head.

I loved many of the drives I was getting from each head and shaft combo. There were no clear losers among the 2 heads and 2 shafts, but I was switching regularly to see what the different combos produced. At one point, the Speeder with the Max head seemed like a winning combo with some nice draws. Need to do more testing though.

Bottom line, really like both Mavrik heads. I would be surprised if one of them doesn’t replace my Epic Flash. As to the Max 3W and HW, I really couldn’t give much time to those. Both looked great at address, and struck the ball well off the tee and deck. I felt limited with the lack of adjustability, and in the clubs’ defense, the Isawa Red 75 S shafts were somewhat of a whim for me, and not really demo’d and fitted to me. Liked the shafts, but can’t guarantee they, or these clubs, are for me. But in the glued hosel category, looking for a head style like the Max fairways, these should definitely be in consideration. Need to give them more time though. Hoping to get out again tomorrow.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Finally went to the range with the Mavrik Max today. Came away impressed, and very happy with my purchase.

Took the MMax and hit it against the Fusion driver that I have been tinkering with. MMax is higher launch with more distance using the same shaft, and heavy weight in the back. I did not even try the draw weight setting. I had to loft down with the Max to 9.5, and typically hit the Fusion at 11.5. I had a few drives that were my best in a long time. Hit the center of the face, and they were high, straight ropes. Great distance on miss-hits as well. I will continue to test a few shafts, and settings with the MMax.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Great--sounds like a winner. I posted some broader thoughts above, but I concur with your ultimate conclusions. I need to do more testing, but weights in the max MOI/lower spin positions, as opposed to the draw biased positions, seems to be ideal. I don't think the Max head needs that extra draw bias, so better to max out MOI and lower the spin. YMMV of course, and good to have the optionality there.

Launch on the Max is high, but not in a spinny ballooning sort of way. It just gets up and goes on a penetrating line. I am coming from a 12* Epic Flash, and I have frankly played 13.5* GBB Epic and Fusion heads previous to that. Yet the 10.5* Max head has a beautiful penetrating flight. I can loft up a bit if need be, but I also lofted down to 9.5* in testing on the course, and did not feel I was disadvantaged. Settled at standard 10.5* setting, but that might change with more testing.

I am so impressed with the 10.5* Max that I am going to pick up a 9* Max to see what it can do. With the ability to go 1-2* up in loft easily, should be fun seeing what the 9* can do. Once I am able to get some more time in with the Max out on the course or on monitors, I'll dial it in further. Really impressed with the Mav Max though.

Demo'd the Mavrik today against my Current Epic Flash. I have the PX HC EvenFlow Blue 65g in my Epic Flash, 10.5 tuned down to 9.5 in the neutral setting. I hit the 10.5 turned down to 9.5 in the neutral setting as well. PX EvenFlow Riptide 60g shaft.

Distance wise they were pretty much dead even, ball flight was a little bit higher with the Mavrik. Mavrik when soled seems to sit a tad bit more open than the Epic Flash, which is a huge plus for me as I have major issues with a driver that sits closed.

So performance wise they were pretty much the same in terms of distance and ball flight, (no numbers, just hit approx. 75 balls between them on the range) but the Mavrik blows the Epic out of the water in terms of sound and feel. I guess I got used to the Flash over the last year but difference in sound is huge, the Flash sounded like I was hitting an aluminum bat compared to the Mavrik. Another big surprise was dispersion, I had a tighter shot area with the Mavrik.

Just wanted to share my experience. Ordered one and am taking advantage of the 150% trade in bonus through Callaway which is a plus!

I bought a Mavrik Sub Zero. I couldn't pass up the trade in bonus, $210 for a srixon z585 that I will never use. Plus, $60 off for buying at the fitting day.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Ordered a Custom Mavrik Sub-Zero today, 10.5* shafted with Oban Hashimoto .25’ short, D4. Should be kind of unique, olive green with red trim and badging. Just not down with the orange, I’m sure some love it. Interested to see if it can kick the Ping G410LST out of the bag!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Callaway had a demo day here so I had the opportunity to try the Mavrik. I asked for a std head with a lighter weight (50g) Riptide shaft at 1” shorter. The trajectory was a good height and the sound was quite nice, but for some reason everything was going left (right handed). I asked that it be reset to 1* lower to open the face a bit and now the balls were going dead straight. It was then I discovered that the rep had given me the Max in error with the weight in the draw position. He then gave me the std Mavrik I took one shot, perfect. I ordered the club with that set up.

When it arrives, I'll test it on course vs. my Cobra F9.

• Like 1

I have hit the Mavrik and sub zero and I can’t remember hitting a club that felt as good as these.

Cant wait to get them on a launch monitor and get the right head/shaft combo for myself and see what numbers I can get out of them.

they have won me over on feel alone

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Thunky or Thwacky. I think it's probably the jailbreak that creates that feel, but the club feels more like a persimmon and not like a hollow chunk of titanium of me. Make any sense? My 410+ felt Spanky as comparison. My descriptive adjectives may need some help, but I'm southern, so you get what you pay for.....lol

Also, I was putting horrid moves on it Sunday....like I walked 18 on Saturday and then drank long into the night kind of swings Sunday, if you know what I mean. I had a lot of high toe misses that didn't end up any farther left than a couple steps into the left rough.

I guess but it’s safer to have the sole work done by Callaway Custom then the crown done by Continental. I think it’s a good combination for success!

Nice job BB. I like this one as well

S0ZF4A6Z3AZF.jpg

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

If it doesn’t work out lmk I will buy it

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

Thanks woods991 if for some reason it doesn’t I will come knocking. It’s shafted with a sweet Limited Edition Oban Hashimoto. I’m hoping its a money setup!

The Callaway orange is not my favorite but it’s not the worst use of orange I’ve seen on a golf club. Olive looks very classy. Congrats. I also like matte crowns. Have a Titleist 917 3 wood with the crown redone in matte and it looks great.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Been hitting the standard Mavrik indoors for about a month and the sound is a massive improvement over the flash (my opinion)

Finally received mine yesterday and hit it outdoors today. Wow, this driver sounds amazing. Nice muted thwack and the ball gets small real quick. Really struggled with a "push power fade" with the flash, with the mavrik the ball just goes straight.

100-103mph swing speed with ~150 ball speed. Slight fade/draw instead of the extreme lefts/rights I was previously experiencing.

I don't know what else I can say. I love it

• Like 2

Nice write-up. The standard Mav is a sleeper for sure.

If it helps anyone, I have been doing a lot of weighing of my Mav heads. I did a lot of trading in to comp a bunch of different combos to test out on the course. Stock head weight of the Mav Max heads (without added weights) is 175g. Stock head weight of the standard Mav heads (without added weights) is 186g. I ordered all of my Mav drivers -1" with a request of stock D2 SW.

The first Mav Max 10.5* I received from Callaway with the Rogue White R flex came in at 191g total with weights (one 14g weight and one 2g weight). The second Mav Max 9* I received from Callaway with the Rogue White S flex came in at 198g total with weights (one 14g weight and one 8g weight). Bottom line, definitely double-check the weights and SW when you get your clubs in from Callaway. The 191g seems low, and the 198g seems high, so I will be checking out SW.

Played first round with my std Mav 9* driver as we had 75 degrees and no wind yeasterday. I have it turned down to 8 and with Tensei Pro White 60 TX -1/2 inch. This is the best driver I have owned. Last year I owned TS2, M5, ST190 and G410+. Previous years, I have owned and gamed plenty of drivers. I’m also a 5 handicap and driving is my strength. The Mav has the best combo of looks sound feel and performance for me. Actually loving the orange, I think it looks really good and is totally understated at address. The sound and feel on flush shots is the best. Just makes for really memorable shots when you catch one. Look, all reasonably well fit drivers are going to perform well these day. The Mav for me stands out because I love the look shape and feel. I think everyone should test drivers outdoors this year as part of their testing process because they all perform pretty similarly, but you can’t get the true sound of hitting it indoors. For me, the Mav is awesome. I may have to pick up a fairway wood to match.

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Finally got the lefties in. For me, Mavrik was a disaster. Didn't get anything out of it. Then I tried to Cobra Speed Zone with the Rogue 110 MSI shaft. Wow! From the first swing spot on. A few more shots and deal. All shots right in the center of the club, a good 25 yards more distance and awesome dispersion. Really look forward for seeing how this behaves on the course.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

I tested the Mavrik SZ while at PGA Demo Day at the Tour AD tent with a few shafts. I fell in love and wanted to fine tune it. So I did a whole bag fitting on a trackman last week to get set up for 2020.

I was playing a Rogue SZ at 8* with a Fuji Pro 62X shaft. I consistently carried it around 260, spinning around 1900, club head speed of 103 (peaked at 105), ball speed of 154, launching at 13. Certainly all good numbers.

Mavrik SZ, 10.5*, Tour AD XC 7S shaft. Carry went up to 267, spinning at 2200, club head speed up to 106 (peaked at 110), ball speed up to 157, launching at 16. Better numbers and much tighter dispersion. Also had good numbers with the Tour AD BB 6S, but I kept coming back to the feel and release of the XC.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1