best 3 wood in recent years

Looking for reviews and thoughts on the hottest/ most forgiving 3 wood out there. Playing an R11s and its good off the tee but I wouldn't mind some extra zip from it as a driver back up. I currently play the Cobra king LT D driver from 2016 I think and it is the best driver I have evr played. iheard very good things about the same model 3 wood as well as the newer Taylormade M4. Opinions?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to go with the TEE cbx 119. I played an epic flash all last year and hit it well, it was a dependable club from the tee and the fairway but felt that it didnt have enough pop. Started toying

917 f2 is fantastic and can be had for a song now. I'm not a bad fairway wood player and have bounced around a few trying to replace my v steel. Tried Epic, M1, M2, Ping G and a few others but 917 tic

Anything in the Touredge Exotics range. Picked up a XCG3 for $15 last year on ebay with a whiteboard someone slapped in. Not sure why I even bother with driver anymore.

As someone who couldn't play a fairway wood for a while, the Callaway Epic Flash Subzero has cured all "yips" that I may or may not have had. So much so that I took a driving iron out of my bag and added a 5 wood recently to compliment my Epic Flash SZ 3 wood. YMMV obviously but I think it's a hell of a clubhead.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero Triple Diamond - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange 75X

Cobra Big Tour - Mitsubishi Tensei CX Pro White 85X

Ping G410 - Ventus Blue HB 9X / Taylormade P790 - Tensei CX Pro 95X

Srixon Z Forged PW-4I - Oban CT 125

Cleveland RTX 4 - Dynamic Gold S400

PXG Gen 2 Brandon Putter

Srixon Z Star XV

Feels like we've been in a golden era of FW's the last few years. I won't say its hard to go wrong but its easy to go right if that makes any sense. I haven't done a lot of comparing but I've got a 2016 TM M1 that's a tour issue head that is a really good club. Great driver alternative on shorter/tighter par 4's but plenty long. It doesn't lag for distance.

TEE EXS 220 10.5*
Maltby KE4 TC 14*
Maltby KE4 TC 19*/22*
Maltby TS1 5-P
Maltby MGTG 52/56/60
TM Patina Juno

If this is purely for driver back up I'm not sure it's possible to beat the Epic Flash SZ 3+ if you want to go newer. You could maybe save a few bones and use the Rogue but it sounds not so nice and also has a bonded hosel which I'm not personally a fan of. However, usually these "hot" 3w's that are border line drivers tend to be less forgiving due to CG placement. It's sooooort of an oxymoron to ask for a ultra long fairway wood but also expect it to be pretty forgiving. Maaaaybe something like a G410 LST could offer a little bit more foregiveness, but there's only so much MOI you can give to that size of head.

If you want to save some $$, the Cobra King LTD is pretty long and might offer a touch more forgiveness than the Epic but I'm not sure how much. It also feels a bit different than most heads. I gamed it for the start of 2019 and it was mega long but pretty tough to use off the deck and it has a very unique and interesting sound. I think Lexi Thompson still might use one or if she got rid of it, just got rid of it recently. Super value when it comes to $$/yard compared to new product.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM Max 9* - Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Speedzone Big 3 Tour - Accra FX 2.0 370 M5

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

It might be easier to list the bad ones vs. all the good ones from the XHP onwards. There has been so many excellent offerings in the last 7ish years it's really hard to go wrong.

Titleist Canada Day Bag:  Red Maple leaf Dormie Headcovers

Ping G410+ 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6x or Titleist Tsi3 10* w/ KK XT 60 X

TBD

Titleist TS3 19* w/ EF T1100 6.0 or TM Gapr 2 w/ RIP Beta 80S

Ping I210 4-U w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1 or too many or's...

Ping Glide 2.0 54/58 TS or too many or's...

Yes! Abbie Forged 33" or Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line 35"

My biased vote is for the Cobra King LTD 3-wood

Its been a revolving door of 3W's ever since the 906 F2, but these things seem versatile and are hot as hell.

I've had no problem from the tee and from the deck, comparing to others seems like a "Mid" profile height, not too deep-faced or shallow.

A little low-launching, but once I got it dialed in (tried different loft combinations) and settled on the 14.5* its been a solid weapon.

All-in-all, an easy club to tinker around with, and I've even got the 4/5 Wood to complement it.

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

The fairway wood has always been my Achilles heal over the years, until I discovered the Ping G25. While I've tried to unseat it with some new model trials, I've returned to it. It is super easy to hit off the deck. I bag both the 16.5* and 20.0* with the Diamana S+ 70 Blue shaft. A close second for me was the Callaway Rogue, which is definitely longer and better off the tee for me, but not as good off the deck where I need it most. Not the sexiest of choices given all the new stuff, but works for me.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 10.5* w/PX EvenFlow Riptide 50g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 15.0* w/PX EvenFlow Riptide 60g
Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 19.0* w/PX Catalyst 65
Irons: Cobra King SZ (4-SW) w/PX LZ Shafts
Wedges: Callaway JAWS MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind @ 58*
Putter: Odyssey O-Works Marxman
Bag: Cobra SZ Tour RF Stand Bag

You can't go too far wrong with any modern FW - I had great results with my old Vapor Fly. Sadly I got very angry with myself during Club Championship last year, and it kind of developed a rattle after bouncing off a tree root, so needed a replacement.

Tried a couple, but long story short, the 917 F3 is an absolute weapon - I gained 20 yards on the Nike instantly. It was also 10 yards longer then the TS3 I initially had in mind.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85X, A1 Setting

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - PW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Rusties - Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Dual Sole, DG Wedge Flex

The Ladies Putter - Nike Method 003 "The Oven", 33.5 inches, ex Carly Booth

TI 2016 M2 for all around, Cally Rogue for pure distance and forgiveness. Very curious about the new Maverick. I looked at like 20 different retail heads to find a Rogue that sat well to my eye, best 3 wood I have ever had. Then my dad sky marked it and I foolishly traded it in. Should have sent it to Continental...

• Like 1

Taylormade Tour Issue 2016 M2 10.5 Tensei Pro Blue 60TX
Taylormade Tour Issue Sim 3W Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
Taylormade Tour Issue 2016 M2 3HL Diamana BF 70x
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X
PXG 0311X 3-4 Project X HC Even Flow Blue 6.0
Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-PW KBS Tour 120
Vokey SM7 50F, SM6 54S, SM7 60D
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 350

Lot of 917F2's. I bought the 4 wood. Great tee or fairway.Yes replaced tm200/vsteel/TEE . Currently a cheap club !!

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I've had 25 3 woods of every model in the last 4-5 years. Titleist TS2 is the best and its not even close. Launches high, spins mid to low, and stupid forgiving when you miss the center. Carry it about 265 off a tee and 255 off the deck.

• G410 LST 9* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
  • TM SIM Ti 14.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • TM M5 Ti 18.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 23* - KBS Proto Hybrid 85X
  • Adams CMB/MB2 5-Pw - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • Cobra Tour Raw 60.08V - DG TI Onyx S400
  • Odyssey Rossie WHP
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS

I will say it again. Titleist TS2 is far and away the best fairway I have ever hit. A distant second would be the old Nike sq2 Japan spec.

Titleist TS3, 9.5, KKDC 60
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Titleist 818h2,19,  AD DI 105
 Titleist AP2 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 52,56, Project X 
Taylormade HiToe 60, KBS $taper Black
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

The TS2 is definitely a killer club and i'm looking to put it up against my FD's to see how it performs. I think the last 3 Titleist fairway lines have been home runs and i'm excited to see what they come out with next, but I can see the TS2 being like 915FD in that it still pops up in pros bags several product cycles later.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Mizuno ST190 9.5* Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

3 wood has always been the toughest club in the bag for me to find the right one. I had experimented with so many over the years, and it always seems like I found the right one, only to have that feeling wear off after a few rounds. However, my current gamer is an XR Pro, and it has been in the bag the longest of any recent one I've tried. I've tried most of the newer stuff, and feel like you can't really go wrong with anything out now, it all seems to be good, but nothing has really stood out and separated itself, for me anyway. The XR just seems so much hotter to me than anything newer, and still forgiving enough.

original xr pro if that is recent enough to you.

Cobra                      F9 Driver w/HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
Titleist                     TS2 16.5 Wood w/HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
Ping                         G410 19 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 95 X
Titleist                     818 H2 23 Hybrid w/Accra M5 95 X

Honma                     TW-U 4 Iron w/Steelfiber i110cw X
Honma                     Rose Proto TW MB Iron set 4-10 w/Modus3 120X
Honma                     TW W4 Wedge 52/58 w/Modus 125
SIK                     Pro|C-Series|Armlock Putter

Stick with what you love -- the Cobra LTD 3-4 and 4-5 are bombs!

My suggestion, by both and if you don't have room for 2 fairway woods switch them out depending on the course. I own both and change accordingly. I've also swapped the shafts between them. In current wet conditions I'm using the 3-4 shaft in the 4-5 for distance + height. I paid a total of $120 including shipping for both on eBay and they still had the stickers.

My vote would go to the g410. I've always struggled missing left with 3 woods and I hit this one so much better.

Cobra SZ Extreme 9* Graphite Design AD TP 6X
Ping G410 3 Wood Graphite Design MAD Pro 7X
Ping G410 5 Wood Graphite Design MAD Pro 7X
Ping G410 4 and 5 Hybrid Tour AD 105X
Ping i210 6-UW Modus 105X
James Patrick 56/60
My Spider X

If you like the LTD and are interested in a similar 3-wood, I believe the new Cobra Speedzone Big Tour (actually not as big as it sounds, like 173cc) might be an option. I have not hit this yet, but so far it looks like the most promising and only really interesting fairway wood being released this year. Its actually slightly smaller than all the new TM SIM models.

I do have 3 x woods in my bag, all from different models. I hit them quite good. 3 wood is a TEE XCG5, absolutely fantastic, best club in my bag. The 5 wood is a Callaway X-Hot 2 and the 7W is a Callaway Rogue, both very forgiving and easy to hit. I have tried to standardise to a single brand/model but not that easy on clubs not available anymore.

The LTD fairway wood is great, I played it for awhile, and I don't have any trouble launching 3-woods in general; but the LTD even with a mid launch shaft launches low. It didn't fly low, just started low. Others have said similar, so just take that into consideration. I believe when I finally got on trackman it was launching about 2-3 degrees lower than other 3-woods I tried.

3-wood has taken the longest of any in my bag to find and establish a love relationship with. See explanation and comparison below.

For me it’s an M6 15 degree with a Tour AD DI 8x playing at 42.75” with a D3 swing weight. I max out at 270 yards on my simulator but probably 260ish in San Francisco. Plenty of people can argue this but I truly believe the twist face significantly reduces dispursion. I love this club which I can’t say about any other 3 Wood I have played for the last 18 years (I’m 38).

Other 3 woods I have and why the setup above is better:

M2 tour 15 degree (steel fiber 80 gram x flex) - not as good off the turf and harder to work shots with. I also can’t feel the ball location on the face at impact nearly as well as with the M6. M3 15 degree (tour ad iz 80 gram) - bomber of a club but I can’t control it nearly as well as the M6 (or M5). I believe it’s due to the not having twist face.M5 rocket 14 degree (tour ad iz 80 gram) - longest 3 wood I own. I can knock it over 270 on my simulator and it’s longer than my M6. I like hitting a lot of 3 woods off the tee and the larger M6 head provides more confidence. I also have a Callaway Epic, Nike Vapor Pro, and Sonartec that are all good clubs but don’t perform nearly as well as the M6.