Pebble/Monterey Buddies Trip - October 2020

Barring a complete traffic disaster arriving at 9AM should get you to PH in plenty of time for a 1:30 tee time.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Cool no prob then, ya a morning arrival will see you in good stead for an afternoon time at Poppy. That's a great intro to 17 Mile Drive golf.

Not sure if any of your guys are into microbrews, but I would suggest a quick pitstop (the place is pretty much beside Hwy1) in Marina for a takeaway growler or two https://englishalesbrewery.com/about-us

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Poppy is a great course, but if you want to save a little money, then check out Pacific Grove Municipal. It costs like $50 or so per person.   Pacific Grove is just a suburb of Monterey, and the back 9 was designed by the same guy that did Pebble.  The back 9 is literally right on the water.  The only thing that's between the course and water is 17-Mile drive.   Lots of places to stay in the Monterey area.   Check out Monterey Plaza, my wife and I were married there.  If you stay in the area, then check out the Whaling Station for dinner.  It's great!!  We always flew into San Jose.   It was cheaper to fly into there from Tulsa, and only took about 1 hr 40 minutes to drive there.  

• 7 months later...

UPDATE

So with all the lack of air travel our direct flight (CLE to SFO) now connects in Chicago (ORD), which means we arrive in SFO just before noon instead of just after 9... so Poppy on the day of arrival is now out.  We were able to rebook (barely!) afternoon tee times on Saturday so our itinerary is now:

Wednesday

- Arrive in SFO 11:40

- Golf TBD (see below)

Thursday

- Spanish Bay 1:10 & 1:20

Friday

- Pebble 7:40 & 7:50 (yikes!)

Saturday

- Spyglass 8:10 & 8:20

- Poppy 2:00 & 2:10 (this shouldn't be an issue right?)

Sunday

- We're coming coming home home from Cali Cali

So now we have a smaller window on arrival day; certainly enough to play 9, possibly 18, however depending on time taken to secure baggage and arrange transport I'm reluctant to book any kind of tee times (even closer to SFO, e.g. Harding Park or Half Moon Bay).  So I think the best option is just to check tentative options on way down to Monterey, I'm thinking Bayonet/Black Horse, Carmel Valley Ranch, etc.  If we could play the back at Pacific Grove that would be ideal but I just don't think we can get two groups out there if earlier groups are all making the turn.  In our favor, it will just be a Wednesday afternoon, but I have no idea what the overall play level these courses are getting at the moment, with pandemic, forest fires, etc. going on.

Thoughts?

Say that you're on the road at 12:30pm from SFO, it will take you ~ 2 hours to get down to the Monterey Peninsula depending on how fast you drive and traffic. You could try Coyote Creek Golf Club which is off of highway 101 going south in Morgan Hill. Most of the public golf courses have been very busy down on the Monterey Peninsula according to one of my friends who lives down there.  You could try Del Monte Golf Course which opens Oct. 1 or Quail Lodge (NCGA discount). Currently sunset is ~7pm in NorCal

@smeech8000 I would check for available tee times at Half Moon Bay as soon as the plane touches down. You might get lucky.

Barring that if traffic isn't an issue you should be able to get to Bayonet/Blackhorse in time to get 18 in. Both courses are pretty nice so I'd shoot for those.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

@aloha b. @jvincent Thanks for the tips guys, if we end up getting on HMB we'll definitely use that detour.  I had overlooked Quail Lodge, which looks pretty nice after checking it out.

I think on the road by 12:30 is probably best case scenario given touchdown is scheduled for 11:40ish and I'm now having nightmares about baggage claim given our tight connection in ORD.  *shudder*

Honestly, just taking in 9 might be the best bet just to ease the group into it.  5 full rounds in 4 days is a LOT of golf for a few guys in this group (probably myself included!), but in the end we are there to play golf and it is certainly a bucket list trip so I don't mind being a tired puppy for the trip home Sunday.

Cinnabar is another place you could hit up in South San Jose on your first day.  27 holes (3 different 9's) and a great location in the foothills.  If you want a scenic drive afterwards you can continue south on McKean Road and then go over Hecker Pass west of Gilroy which will drop you down into Watsonville and close to the roads which will take you to Monterey.

21 hours ago, smeech8000 said:

UPDATE

So with all the lack of air travel our direct flight (CLE to SFO) now connects in Chicago (ORD), which means we arrive in SFO just before noon instead of just after 9... so Poppy on the day of arrival is now out.  We were able to rebook (barely!) afternoon tee times on Saturday so our itinerary is now:

Wednesday

- Arrive in SFO 11:40

- Golf TBD (see below)

Thursday

- Spanish Bay 1:10 & 1:20

Friday

- Pebble 7:40 & 7:50 (yikes!)

Saturday

- Spyglass 8:10 & 8:20

- Poppy 2:00 & 2:10 (this shouldn't be an issue right?)

Sunday

- We're coming coming home home from Cali Cali

So now we have a smaller window on arrival day; certainly enough to play 9, possibly 18, however depending on time taken to secure baggage and arrange transport I'm reluctant to book any kind of tee times (even closer to SFO, e.g. Harding Park or Half Moon Bay).  So I think the best option is just to check tentative options on way down to Monterey, I'm thinking Bayonet/Black Horse, Carmel Valley Ranch, etc.  If we could play the back at Pacific Grove that would be ideal but I just don't think we can get two groups out there if earlier groups are all making the turn.  In our favor, it will just be a Wednesday afternoon, but I have no idea what the overall play level these courses are getting at the moment, with pandemic, forest fires, etc. going on.

Thoughts?

If you join the NCGA, you get one free round of golf at Poppy Hills. It is $175 to join which is less than the rate of $250. I have played both Spy Glass and Poppy Hills and I honestly thought that Poppy Hills was a better course with a cooler experience. The trip sounds awesome!

Cinnabar is a really nice challenging course and as mentioned they have 27 holes.

Quail Lodge Golf Course isn't the hardest but they always keep the course in immaculate condition. I've played the track many times when we've stayed at Quail Lodge and I've always had fun. They also have a range down below the pro shop.

Actually Quail Lodge is a nice place to stay as we always get what they call a cottage which doesn't have any one above you and we always get a room with the patio facing the 14th fairway. They don't charge any resort fees and their prices during the week are usually really good in the $245 range . There is also a 9 hole putting green between the buildings and it's not easy either.

I'm taking my wife to stay at Spanish Bay for her birthday this weekend and our room will overlook the 1st fairway and the ocean.

3 hours ago, MackDaddy480 said:

If you join the NCGA, you get one free round of golf at Poppy Hills. It is $175 to join which is less than the rate of $250. I have played both Spy Glass and Poppy Hills and I honestly thought that Poppy Hills was a better course with a cooler experience. The trip sounds awesome!

Really?  I've never heard of this... can you point me to something on the website etc. that confirms it? 

2 hours ago, smeech8000 said:

Really?  I've never heard of this... can you point me to something on the website etc. that confirms it? 

This is just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth. Since you're coming from out of state I don't think that it's worth it for you to join the Poppy Hills Club for $175 although it includes several benefits including a free round of golf at Poppy. But will you really use the other benefits in one day? If you were to join the NCGA E Club of Monterey Bay for $79 you would pay green fees of $115 for NCGA member on Saturday and 3 guests would pay $145. Add the NCGA fee of $79 to join and $115 green fees equal $194 or $19 more then if you pay the $175. Unfortunately twilight rates on the weekend doesn't start until 3:30 in which case green fees would be $75.

Even with Covid, the traffic in the Bay Area is unreal and I think you should hit the road asap on Wednesday and tee it up in the immediate Monterey area. 

Bayonet or Black Horse are on the way into Monterey out in Fort Ord.  Pacific Grove Muni would be great if you can get a time and it's super close to Spanish Bay. I think you said you are staying at Spanish Bay?

PG gets crowded but it's a fun, short, course.

Edited by PJE

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

When  you're at Pebble and if you guys like chocolate sundaes then you can't beat the one at The Tap Room. 

• It's made with double vanilla bean ice cream, warm buttered bananas, honey almonds, cookie pieces & sticky hot fudge. I forgot to pour the sticky hot fudge over the sundae before I took the picture. It's enough for four people after having lunch or dinner. The martini glass is huge, look at how big it is compared to the glass of ice tea. If you're not that hungry but want to try it then you can get a 1/2 order although it's not on the menu. The 1/2 order comes in a bowl and not a martini glass. The Tap Room is now outside dining at Fairway One along the first tee.

The Tap Room Chocolate Sundae.jpg

Edited by aloha b.

On 9/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, aloha b. said:

This is just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth. Since you're coming from out of state I don't think that it's worth it for you to join the Poppy Hills Club for $175 although it includes several benefits including a free round of golf at Poppy. But will you really use the other benefits in one day? If you were to join the NCGA E Club of Monterey Bay for $79 you would pay green fees of $115 for NCGA member on Saturday and 3 guests would pay $145. Add the NCGA fee of $79 to join and $115 green fees equal $194 or $19 more then if you pay the $175. Unfortunately twilight rates on the weekend doesn't start until 3:30 in which case green fees would be $75.

Yeah, I agree.  The other stuff sounds great for someone a bit more local that would benefit from repeat visits but unfortunately that's not the case here.  I thought @MackDaddy480 post indicated I missed a key benefit of the NCGA membership but really those benefits are associated with the Poppy Club.

That sundae looks unreal!

@PJE I think that's what we're leaning towards.  I'm a fan of getting out of SF as soon as possible since I feel like the later in the day we stay the worse it's going to get.  As I said before I feel the best route is just trying to catch 9 holes as a warm up and really don't want to put the group on a hair-on-fire agenda right out of the gate with all the unknowns at this point.

Somebody mentioned before that Quail Lodge has a putting course around the clubhouse?  Do you have to pay to use it, or can you do so as long as you play the "big" course?  Thinking 9 holes followed by the putting course might be a good way to grease the gambling and trashtalking wheels for the week.

@smeech8000 I haven't played Quail Lodge so I can't advise. I've hung around more on the Monterey side. 

I've heard of the putting course and I know hotel guests can use it but not sure about non guests. 

I heard Old Del Monte is re opening on October 1.  Del Monte is an old, flat, short course with old fashioned, small greens run by the Pebble Beach Company. It's usually in good condition but it's over priced.  However, it's a fun course and I think it might be a nice way to ease into a trip after a flight. 

Here is the link:

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/del-monte-golf-course/

Anyway, I mention it, because it's on the hill overlooking Monterey and from there it's a short drive over to Spanish Bay. 

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

In the future, you know that you can fly from CLE (with stop in Denver) into Monterey (MRY) and be 5 minutes from Pebble Beach?

Leave 9am and be there 1:30.

Sadly yes.  I almost wish there was never a direct flight into SFO because MRY through Denver is how I was leaning months ago when we booked our airfare!  Got overruled by the group... "direct is so much faster, even with the drive, risk of lost baggage on connection, etc."  And here we are, connecting anyways. 😫

1 hour ago, Golf10 said:

I read that you don't want to play punched greens.  I'd still play Pasa with punched greens 9/10 over some of the other courses mentioned.  It's one of my favorites on the entire planet.  MacKenzie masterpiece

If it were just me, I wholeheartedly agree and would play it anyways, but to most of the guys in the group it would just be insult to injury, an a**-kicking administered on punched greens.  I don't know if they would be able to appreciate the architectural elements of the course enough to offset the pain and suffering!

8 hours ago, smeech8000 said:

Yeah, I agree.  The other stuff sounds great for someone a bit more local that would benefit from repeat visits but unfortunately that's not the case here.  I thought @MackDaddy480 post indicated I missed a key benefit of the NCGA membership but really those benefits are associated with the Poppy Club.

That sundae looks unreal!

@PJE I think that's what we're leaning towards.  I'm a fan of getting out of SF as soon as possible since I feel like the later in the day we stay the worse it's going to get.  As I said before I feel the best route is just trying to catch 9 holes as a warm up and really don't want to put the group on a hair-on-fire agenda right out of the gate with all the unknowns at this point.

Somebody mentioned before that Quail Lodge has a putting course around the clubhouse?  Do you have to pay to use it, or can you do so as long as you play the "big" course?  Thinking 9 holes followed by the putting course might be a good way to grease the gambling and trashtalking wheels for the week.

Quail has the std. putting green and chipping area. If you want to play the 9 hole putting green you would have to drive to the hotel because the putting green is between some of the buildings. Here's a couple of pics of the 9 hole and a couple of the course

Vaca 066.JPG

Vaca 067.JPG

Vaca 068.JPG

Vaca 020.JPG

Vaca 024.JPG

Vaca 029.JPG

5 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

In the future, you know that you can fly from CLE (with stop in Denver) into Monterey (MRY) and be 5 minutes from Pebble Beach?

Leave 9am and be there 1:30.

If up can really get to Pebble from MRY in 5 minutes then you're really driving fast to get there.😄

Edited by aloha b.

We just got home from my Wife's wonderful birthday weekend at Spanish Bay. The weather was great mid to high 70's, sunny and no wind. Our room at Spanish Bay overlooked the #1 fairway with an ocean view. We had her birthday dinner at The Tap Room which is now outside dining next to Fairway 1 and the view overlooks #1 fairway. She had prime rib and I had the best rib eye steak that I've ever had it seemed to melt in your mouth. Here's a few pictures from our room and balcony plus Pebble's #1 fairway and a couple of deer's plus the steak and prime rib.

DSC07262.JPG

DSC07251.JPG

DSC07255.JPG

DSC07267.JPG

DSC07273.JPG

DSC07277.JPG

DSC07278.JPG

DSC07280.JPG

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

Please forgive me for such a terrible thing I've said. If you drive at precisely the speed limit, it's 11 minutes door-to-door. I'll go out in the backyard and commit ritual suicide to atone for my sin...

mry-pb.jpeg

Didn't you see the smile that I placed at the end of my sentence? I was being smart and I'm sorry if I offended you

The Tap Room is really good. Kobe brie burger was outstanding as was the french onion soup and hot crab dip. The sundae is absurd...delicious and huge. Key lime pie was excellent and the coconut cake was great too. The food at the Bench was OK, but the service was atrocious. At one point our server went MIA for about 30 minutes...had to order dessert with another waiter and then it took another 45 mins to get a dessert. Took over 3 hours for dinner. Skip Roy's, for breakfast/brunch anyways. Not worth it at all. Not very good.

As far as golf, IDK if anyone has mentioned the Dukes Club. You basically pay like $375 and you get discounted green fees for your foursome at Spy and Spanish, and Del Monte if you're going to play there. You can have 3 guys chip in and save you a good amount of money if you're playing more than one of those courses. Someone mentioned the $175 at Poppy to get a free round and NCGA membership. I think it's totally worth it if you're going to play there. Your group get's a discounted rate too...maybe $150 instead of $250? The NCGA membership also gives discounts at Bayonet Blackhorse to the member.

7 hours ago, smeech8000 said:

Sadly yes.  I almost wish there was never a direct flight into SFO because MRY through Denver is how I was leaning months ago when we booked our airfare!  Got overruled by the group... "direct is so much faster, even with the drive, risk of lost baggage on connection, etc."  And here we are, connecting anyways. 😫

If it were just me, I wholeheartedly agree and would play it anyways, but to most of the guys in the group it would just be insult to injury, an a**-kicking administered on punched greens.  I don't know if they would be able to appreciate the architectural elements of the course enough to offset the pain and suffering!

I get it.  Everyone has their priorities.  Even if Pasa had sand greens I would still recommend it.  Such a great design.