Hacks To Get Into Private Clubs?

This reminds me of a story. Yes it was wrong that I did it, I was young and poor and stupid.

There is an area with two courses that share a driving range. One side is public, the back side is private. The back side had a nice little chipping area, so I started going back there to practice (there was never anyone there). Then I started just hitting balls that were sat out. One day I starting walking down to the back side of the range and a guy stopped me. He said the range was closed, but I could always just go play - so that's what I did.

I overheard him talk to a new guy that worked there and said I was so an so's son. They assumed I was a member's son.

And that's how I practiced and played all summer and a nice private course.

• Like 2

Many are going out of business, companies (such as Club Corp) are buying them. The club I belong to has 36 holes with all the amenities. We had too much debt. High monthly costs, large assessments and a declining membership. We had to sell or basically go into receivership. After two years I’m happy with the sale. My dues have went down, guaranteed No assessments and they have spent over 2 million In improvements. I also have access to about 20 other clubs for cart fee only.

• Like 1

Per above, in Massachusetts the state golf association does member for a day program at a bunch of good clubs. Here is the 2019 list - https://www.massgolf.org/play/member-days-2019/. No top 5 state courses on that list, but a really good set of clubs

In addition, we have these tours that are clubs without a club that jump to a bunch of private and public courseshttps://nextgengolf.org/app/regions/boston-golf-tournaments#upcoming. Oyster Harbors is on this list. Not a top 5 state course, but a top 20 state course that is underrated and very hard to accesshttp://golfneat.com/2020-preliminary-schedule.html. Rhode Island Country Club is on this list. That place is a must play, IMHOhttps://www.golfthetour.com/schedule.php. Myopia Hunt and Eastward Ho! (both top 100 courses) were on the list last year. Then you have Wannamoisett (which might also be top 100) and then a bunch of really good next level courses

It’s a lot harder to make money with a golf course than most people appreciate.

I’ve seen lots of clubs mismanage their pro shop, not get the most out of food and beverage, not get the most out of their range, etc.

If you can get the totality of your facility dialed in you can do well between rounds, range balls, merch, food and beverage, outside events, etc. If not, running a golf course is really expensive - and those who can’t figure it out get sold or subdivided.

I agree. It’s the really good, well established courses that don’t have a problem - but they also make a lot of money off of the social aspect of a club. Holiday parties, luncheons, major dinner time events, etc. really add up.

not to mention most clubs do add ons to the membership dues - lockers, bag storage, carts, etc.

Id argue if you play a lot of golf - or want to - join a club. 4-500 a month sounds like a lot but when you factor in range balls, pro shop discounts/sales, lower food/beverage costs, etc. that you pay for at a public track you don’t need to play more than 5-6 times a month to make it worth it - and definitely worth it if your family plays or you hit a lot of balls.

My wife and I joined our first fully private club about a year and a half ago. That said, I was able to find a way to play every private course in my area before we joined by:

Playing in the "play day" events hosted by my local District Golf OrganizationTried my hand at a couple of the qualifying events for said District Golf Organization's Championship (didn't qualify, but got to knock a couple private courses off the list this way)My company's lawyer is a member at one of the more exclusive clubs in the area, and he donates a foursome to our yearly company golf tournament. We raffle it off to raise money for charity. I've won a spot from that raffle 3 times now (we only get about 7-8 people each year who are serious about golf enough to buy raffle tickets for this particular contest, so my odds are high)I've bid on, and won a couple foursome spots in various silent auctions over the yearsGot lucky enough to have a member at Oak Hill invite me and my FiL out a few timesI will also say that now that I am a member of one of the private clubs, it has become immensely easy to find ways to play at other private clubs. Especially if you're willing to trade them back a round at your own course.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I agree on the initiation side.

I can’t justify dropping 15k+ on initiation, I also probably wouldn’t really enjoy the experience at one of those clubs given I’m from a pure public course background.

Having played at some nice clubs, and have friends who are members at said clubs, there’s a lot of attitudes at those facilities I’m not down with. They’re rude to the guys in the shop, other members and getting a game can be tricky because there’s more than one clique and if you aren’t in it you’re not playing with them. Pretty annoying.

I suppose it’s all in your motivation for joining. For me, it was access to a solid practice facility, a course that tests my game and a lot of good players being members - and they’re all pretty laid back in general - which fits my vibe much better.

Not really a hack, but the answer is money.

The good news is it doesn't necessarily need to be your money, you just need to know the guy with the money. I have paid up to play some nicer private courses that are local to me, but all the best courses I have played (think Dallas National since that is local to you) have come from business connections. I'm not exactly executive level either - my "hack" is anytime I meet with a supplier at work, I take my Masters tumbler into the meeting or wear a shirt from some high end course. If they are golfers they will definitely comment and you would be surprised the connections some people have. So basically get a job where you work with external people or be rich.

• Like 1

I grew up in Dallas and my parents were members at Northwood... I wanted to see the remodel when I was last in town and got turned around at the gate that didn't exist there 20 years ago... the Dallas golf scene is weird and elite. Don't expect to talk your way onto any of the old school clubs. They aren't hurting for members, and if you don't "know" someone, they don't care who you are...

In terms of clubs there are a variety... there are the super exclusives that are going to be hard to get a round on... Very few are actually worth playing. Northwood is a great track, and it's probably still possible to get on with the right research and connections... You'd either have to buy a round at a charity auction (I'm sure there are plenty for sale throughout the year... I don't know if you can access SMU, St. Mark's or Hockaday auctions, but those should all have a package up). There is one older club that also has a great track, but I can't remember it's name... fairly similar situation... exclusive, expensive, but a good golf course.

Dallas National is an experience. I'm not sure where it stands 20 years later... my cousin caddied out there back in the day... We were family friends with one of the first members, and I only played it once... it was not cheap. At that time, they were intentionally exclusive (you could play as a guest 4 times a year, but only once a quarter). I wouldn't play it until you are under 9 handicap. It's a tough course. Very cool experience, though at the time they were running it out of a trailer because someone burned down the club house (I don't remember the details, but it was a weird arson thing).

There are cheaper, less exclusive clubs... they will likely be happy to host you for a round (expect to pay for the round, even if you say you are perspective member... that freebie went away with Vegas comps for the low rollers).

There are some good public options... the good ones are expensive. I've heard the Cowboy Club is excellent... one of my cousins is an avid golfer out there... he plays a public course out there that apparently hosts some fun events. I can ask him the name if you are interested... he lives out by White Rock.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Texas golf is doing just fine from what my cousins who live there told me... plenty of old money keeping the old courses alive and super expensive... which allows the "lesser" clubs to have a certain appeal. Land is also cheap, and Dallas is spread out. I don't think many courses in Dallas are going out of business... Louisville is definitely struggling... going to be interesting to see what happens over the next few years, especially if a rescission hits. I think the next economic downturn is going to have a huge consolidating impact on country clubs... though I'm not sure what the hell will be done with the land... urban farming?

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the heads up! I've only been living here for 5 years and this is a great synopsis of pretty much everything in Dallas when it comes to the old money influence here it seems. I live near White Rock too so I'll reach out again when I'm better and ask you more about the Dallas clubs.

The few people I know that would be considered Highland Park old money don't golf... which is mind boggling because before I got into golf I assumed everyone who is generationally rich golfs.

Know anything about the Tribute course in The Colony? I was told it was fun and UK themed. Looks pretty hard and out of my league still.

Yeah, golf wasn't super popular in Dallas for whatever reason, but they have the population and the wealth to keep the exclusive clubs rolling in money.

I don't know anything about the Tribute course... I'm not sure it existed when I was there. It looks decent but expensive... I always worry about maintenance on public courses as they have to balance rounds played vs keeping the course alive (the math rarely works in favor of the course!). Good luck playing and practicing, and hope you find a good home club!

I played a number of rounds at LB Houston (on a flood plain, not sure if it still exists) and Sleepy Hollow way out in the stick (I'm pretty sure it burned down somehow... I'm not exactly sure). Neither were good golf courses, but high school is what it is.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Not sure how many will be interested by type in “rounds for research” in the googles. Once on the homepage click the “visit the Auction” option on the left or googles the “rounds for research auction.”

Maybe someone can look at it and let me know as we go along if some of the private clubs in your areas are nice. Costs don’t get too high and all proceeds go to turfgrass research, something that impacts all of us in this board.

EDIT...being out of season a lot of courses haven’t donated yet.

Speaking of Boxgroove, anyone able to log in lately? I got a comp'd membership with my SkyGolf subscription, and haven't been able to log in for over a week. Pretty worthless.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0