• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea that a slower speed needs a softer ball is a myth. Given two balls that are the same except for firmness the harder ball will always be as fast or faster and will always spin more. The Q-star

Which is why most ball tests are worthless. Wilson’s head designer, Titleists top designer both say the same thing, all balls go about the same distance. Dimple patterns govern height and a few other

Buy 2 Get one free right now.

The idea that a slower speed needs a softer ball is a myth. Given two balls that are the same except for firmness the harder ball will always be as fast or faster and will always spin more. The Q-star is going to lose a little spin around the greens for you, loose quite a bit of spin for you off mid irons (which may make it go further), and be very similar in spin but probably lose some ball speed off the driver.

• Like 1

Here's a good podcast on today's main page. Bogey Golf: Golf balls 101: Everything you need to know

The Srixon guy says that a harder ball gives higher ball speed for any swing speed, but doesn't necessarily go farther, depending on launch conditions, which will be different between lower and higher swing speeds.

M4 Driver
3, 5, & 7 Woods

Hybrids have been banished
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
56º, 62º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • 4 weeks later...

Which is why most ball tests are worthless. Wilson’s head designer, Titleists top designer both say the same thing, all balls go about the same distance. Dimple patterns govern height and a few other flight characteristics, but that only governs how they get there. I know a lot of people don’t think a lot of Crossfield but he did a video where he hit 12 balls, 6 x ProV, 3 Velocity, 3 Wilson Duo U. 10 of them where within a yard of each other.

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

They will all be close, but they won't be identical. Though the number of shots you have to hit to realize the differences without a robot is massive. First balls do have different ball speeds off the driver. The softer the ball, the slower the ball speed on average. This is compounded the faster you swing. They also have slightly different dimple patterns and spin characteristics. All of these can effect distance.

That being said, a good fitter can change your driver to optimize your distance for your ball. The only thing he can't give you more of is ball speed. So again, you should pick the firmest urethane ball you can stand the feel of, as long as it doesn't spin too much (though most amateurs are never going to have a problem with a ball spinning too much)

I’m one of the rare few golfers who don’t need any more distance, I hit the ball well over 250 off the tee and few of my friends will play a course at anything close to 7,000 yards so most par fours are no more than 410 or so which usually leaves me an 8 or less going in.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I realize I'm late to the party, but what else is new.

I'm not so sure your statement is 100% true. Based on that certain other site's ball test data, the difference between ball speeds of the softest and firmest get closer as clubhead speed diminishes, to the point where the softer balls appear very slightly faster at the speed used in the partial wedge test. Could be real, could be anomalous, only way to know for sure would be to run a test at a slightly slower speed.

An 85 yard wedge shot is a pretty slow swingspeed, of course, if one translates to a fuller swing.

For the OP's question, yeah, no reason to change to a softer ball due to swingspeed.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

The reason the speed changes on wedge shots is because the harder balls pinch the soft cover against the harder mantle/core. This is what generates the spin and lowers launch. This has more to do with loft really than anything. At driver and long iron lofts, I don't think you'll ever find a realistic swing speed where the softer ball ends up with more ball speed.

I have played the first 2 generations of this ball and been very pleased. They did everything I need a ball to do at a price Im good with.

Lookin forward to trying the new one. My driver speed is a bit slower than the op's, I'm between 95 & 100.

Cobra F8
Ping G400 17*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i e1 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

I've tried a lot of different balls and finally settled on one of three balls:

Snell - MTB-X - really like this ball and surprisingly soft.

Bridgestone RX - again, this ball defies logic for as soft as it feels. Distance is not as good as MTB-X

Srixon Z Star - the best of both worlds. Distance within a yard or 2 of the MTB-X and longer than the RX and softer feeling than both the MTB-X and RX.

I've been playing the Z Star lately and unless I can find something that performs better, I'll probably stick with it. The #1 reason to play the Snell is because no one else is playing it in my area. It's still a great ball and I'll play it every once in a while just because it flat out performs.

Buy 2 Get one free right now.

• Like 1

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

Whatever prior version I'm playing, I've come to really like it. That is a complete 180 from what I thought and posted previously. The cover performs well on the greens, and is durable too. The yellow color is great. It flies the right height, and distances are very consistent.

(90 MPH swing speed, 135 yard 35 degree 7 iron.)

M4 Driver
3, 5, & 7 Woods

Hybrids have been banished
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
56º, 62º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

QST is my ball of choice vs Z Star and Pro V1 which are the 3 balls I've played the most. It feels the best on approach shots, seems to go slightly straighter with driver (could be in my head), and spins just as much as the other 2 around the greens for me. Price just makes it that much better.

Edit- my driver swing speed is 98ish I think (hit driver about 240 total on avg)

Sun Mountain 2.5+

Garmin Approach G10

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Carl's is selling 3 dz yellow for $54, but I think it's a mistake. I added them to my cart, and the price didn't change, but the white are $64, which is what I paid direct from Srixon last week.

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour