Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

martinvan09

8 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Especially if they offer them in retro spec lofts this time around. Even less offset and gaps better with existing wedges if you currently have irons with weaker lofts.

Pretty sure you can just order them 2 degrees weak?  I can't see any reason why they can bend the clubheads one way but not the other.  The i210s they will bend either way.  Of course, this will slightly change the bounce, which you may or may not care about.

Personally, I hope they do NOT make them any more players like than they are.  If I want something with a thinner sole and less offset I'll just get the i210s (or next version).  I may get a club like this anyways - just saying I think there should be some distinct difference in the offerings, but it's all personal preference.

But they may keep moving this way.  When the 410 irons came out the PING guy told me that people want what they think looks nice, not what they can actually hit.

14 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

But they may keep moving this way.  When the 410 irons came out the PING guy told me that people want what they think looks nice, not what they can actually hit.

Ain't that the truth! Same reason way too many people have too little loft in their drivers, play long irons and hybrids that they can't elevate and have too little bounce in their wedges.

I always complain to the local PING rep that he doesn't have any stiff or X flex demo shafts for 7 woods. He says they only sell the occasional senior flex 7W and there is very little demand, even though their internal testing shows that the average person does better with a 7W than a 3H or 3i. It's especially crazy when you consider that almost half of PING's PGA tour players have a 7W in the bag!

Edited by GolfTurkey
sPelL1ngg
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Valtiel said:

This was the first thing I looked for as well given how the 410 line was leading the pack in terms of adjustment range. 

That sliding back weight would have to be EXTREMELY heavy to make up for the lack of range though, so I suspect they made a design sacrifice to shift CG location (likely lower and further back). The 410 adjustment track is awesome, but has two drawbacks regarding PING's normal design approach in that it moved the CG up a decent amount and the adjustment range kinda put a cap on how far back the CG could go. I'm pretty sure that is why an official successor to the 400 MAX didn't happen as you would need to maintain the relatively low and extremely far back CG the MAX had in order to not take a step back from what made it so popular. 

Very interested to see what the design story is though. I suspect the G425 will fall between the 410+ and the 400 MAX in terms of CG.

Thanks for the comments.  Always love reading the thoughts on how the design is changing the CG on these different heads (until we can see the data elsewhere).

No doubt the OEMs make advances over time, but I think too little thought is given to how a year-to-year tweak may or may not be better for any particular person.  If one can test a billion head / shaft combs you can probably always get something to work as good/better.  But for those of us that can't, some of these slight changes may actually be worse (all else equal).

At this point, I either want a G400 MAX (as far low/back as possible) or something low/forward (which isn't the current design trend).  Clearly there are tradeoffs but I know this ahead of time, and how it is going to impact the feel/ball flight (and misses).

14 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

I always complain to the local PING rep that he doesn't have any stiff or X flex demo shafts for 7 woods. He says they only sell the occasional senior flex 7W and there is very little demand, even though their internal testing shows that the average person does better with a 7W than a 3H or 3i. It's especially crazy when you consider that almost half of PING's PGA tour players have a 7W in the bag!

I'm hoping Titleist will make a 24 degree wood but I doubt it.  If they don't, there's a good chance I will switch over to PING for the next bag and play their 7W/9W.

I think the fairways have changed quite a bit recently (becoming more like driver with CG low/back).  These high lofted ones used to spin like crazy and go nowhere in the wind, even for someone like me with a pretty moderate ss (~95 mph with driver).  Now, they just go very high but still on a pretty flat trajectory.  As you say, look how popular they are on tour these days (even DJ can hit one).

• Like 1

Same adapter as the G410 woods ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

3 hours ago, agolf1 said:

Pretty sure you can just order them 2 degrees weak?  I can't see any reason why they can bend the clubheads one way but not the other.  The i210s they will bend either way.  Of course, this will slightly change the bounce, which you may or may not care about.

Personally, I hope they do NOT make them any more players like than they are.  If I want something with a thinner sole and less offset I'll just get the i210s (or next version).  I may get a club like this anyways - just saying I think there should be some distinct difference in the offerings, but it's all personal preference.

FWIW - I'm not advocating for a big change.  I think their G series irons are flat out winners. Just looking for another tiny trickle in that direction.  I've read reviews about how easy the i210's are to hit.  Perhaps.  But again, I have the G400 and the i210 and I find the difference big. Especially when you hit one out of the rough and catch it a few grooves high.  Or off the toe.  Or on the bottom groove.

There are a lot of people who love the G series but start to get a little... unsettled when they get to the PW side of the bag.  Here's a quick comparison of offset:

offset:  5i,   8i,   W

G400:  0.26, 0.18, 0.13

G410:  0.24, 0.15, 0.11

i210:  0.15, 0.07, 0.03

So they already moved it a smidge from G400 to G410. I'm even fine with leaving the 5i alone.  Just make the progression a little stronger, I think 0.08 or 0.09 for the W would be the sweetspot.  That'd still be triple the offset of the i210 W.  All the other GI features (blade length, MOI, sole, toe weight, etc...) would stay.  Just one mans vote.  I will probably buy either way ?

1 minute ago, GolfMonster09 said:

G425 Fairways: 3 LST, 3 MAX, 5 MAX, 7 MAX, 9 MAX, 3 SFT, 5 SFT, 7 SFT

G425 Crossovers: 2, 3, 4

Also some really solid stock shaft options from what I've seen.

Any idea if the lofts are the same as the G410 Fairway woods?

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

3 minutes ago, ibluetooth said:

Any idea if the lofts are the same as the G410 Fairway woods?

I'm not sure. Haven't seen our rep yet to get the full details. Hopefully soon though. Wouldn't imagine a ton of difference considering the driver and hybrid lofts haven't moved at all.

• Like 1

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

5 hours ago, Morry said:

Lots of chatter, but does anyone have a take on what the "tech" is here, What the improvement is, What aspect did they target?  What was clearly lacking in the 410?

appreciated

What I read last night is still speculation this early on but one of the focus points of the new driver is preventing high spin rates on mishit shots.  This is just regarding the driver and possibly just 1 model.  Sorry, I was half asleep when I read it.  

23 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I really doubt they will move G irons that way. They are already super crowded on the "better" player side. They already have the i500, i210, iblade & blueprint irons for various levels of better players. If they move the G irons that way they won't have an entry level GI iron at all. The G710 is a hollow body that will automatically turn off some people plus it's $165 per club. The 425 iron needs to stay as a full GI sized & offset iron at the $115-125/club price. They need something to compete with Mavrik, Sim, Hot metal, T300, etc.

I don't think he was saying to move G to more of a player's iron in performance... just looks.

I agree with the irons you note as the Gs competition.   But to my eye, all of those models are more svelte than the Gs.   None of them bother me much when it comes to sole width or offset, but those have been a turnoff of the G irons.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlkNGld said:

I don't think he was saying to move G to more of a player's iron in performance... just looks.

I agree with the irons you note as the Gs competition.   But to my eye, all of those models are more svelte than the Gs.   None of them bother me much when it comes to sole width or offset, but those have been a turnoff of the G irons.   

Sure, but if you decrease sole width, offset and topline you are going to affect performance. If you keep changing those items, even incrementally, you're moving away from the meat of the GI sector and putting yourself somewhere between GI and Players Distance. 

2 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

What I read last night is still speculation this early on but one of the focus points of the new driver is preventing high spin rates on mishit shots.  This is just regarding the driver and possibly just 1 model.  Sorry, I was half asleep when I read it.  

Oh I love the sound of that.  I'd happily order a G425 LST digitally lofted to 10* dead square.  Thats the one thing on my current G410 LST 10.5* (minus flat setting).  It just seems like my mishits are more spinny than anything else.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

9 hours ago, Morry said:

Lots of chatter, but does anyone have a take on what the "tech" is here, What the improvement is, What aspect did they target?  What was clearly lacking in the 410?

appreciated

The G410 sacrificed a bit in terms of their traditional "lower" CG approach with the adjustability, as well as the ability to "improve" upon the G400 MAX. There is a decent sized gulf in terms of forgiveness/MOI between the G410+ and the G400 MAX, so I suspect the G425s are targeting that area in addition to some likely acoustic/sound changes and maybe some face tech upgrades. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Is that seriously what it's going to look like from the top? Oof, absolutely loved the muted blacked out look of the 410+ (which I gamed all last year and part of this year) but the 425 looks like a downgrade in the looks department in my opinion.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

3 minutes ago, JakeW13 said:

Is that seriously what it's going to look like from the top? Oof, absolutely loved the muted blacked out look of the 410+ (which I gamed all last year and part of this year) but the 425 looks like a downgrade in the looks department in my opinion.

No.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

2 minutes ago, JakeW13 said:

Which pic you referring too? That white and black one isn't real, just something weird somebody on here has on a club. Agree it is confusing though. 

Just to clear things up I painted my 410 the color scheme of a tailor-made M2, I like Ping I don’t care 100% for tailor-made, but I like the M2 look, visually sets up for me perfect, to each his own I was not trying to confuse anybody this is what the new 425 looks like I basically was saying I painted my 410 because I’m keeping it I don’t see any reason to go to the 425. I wonder how many people with the pink one got this much flack? My back up driver the M5 is getting the same treatment which was kind of a gift that’s why I’ve got it.

Edited by JerryTBall

48 minutes ago, KParks said:

Which pic you referring too? That white and black one isn't real, just something weird somebody on here has on a club. Agree it is confusing though. 

Thank the lord. Sorry for jumping to conclusions, just didn't understand what I was looking at in some of these photos. I thought it strange that Ping would mimic the Taylormade M1/M2 design/color.

• Like 1

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

29 minutes ago, JerryTBall said:

Just to clear things up I painted my 410 the color scheme of a tailor-made M2, I like Ping I don’t care 100% for tailor-made, but I like the M2 look, visually sets up for me perfect, to each his own I was not trying to confuse anybody this is what the new 425 looks like I basically was saying I painted my 410 because I’m keeping it I don’t see any reason to go to the 425. I wonder how many people with the pink one got this much flack? My back up driver the M5 is getting the same treatment which was kind of a gift that’s why I’ve got it.

JerryTBall,

Never forget my friend that golf is an individual sport, that works solely with the one holding the club. We all have our own taste and preferences. The choices you make to your clubs are yours to make. It is funny how when some do custom things to a putter it is labeled as “art” but take paint to the crown of a driver and it is “atrocious” lol. Last I checked it is your eyes that the driver was catered to. So rock on and you do you! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, geakins said:

JerryTBall,

Never forget my friend that golf is an individual sport, that works solely with the one holding the club. We all have our own taste and preferences. The choices you make to your clubs are yours to make. It is funny how when some do custom things to a putter it is labeled as “art” but take paint to the crown of a driver and it is “atrocious” lol. Last I checked it is your eyes that the driver was catered to. So rock on and you do you! 

? Thank you and trust me I hang around Continental Golf long enough that I know the most popular color out there is a flat black everything black a Scotty Cameron with even the red circles blacked out I mean that’s fine I do love Matt black to be honest I can always get that changed to a matte finish but I’ll rock it with the gloss for now

Edited by JerryTBall

Yeah c'mon guys, its 2020 and we have google. If PING literally copied the color scheme of one of the most popular drivers in golf history, there would be a 67 page thread on it already and the website would probably have to shut down.  

Edited by Valtiel

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

3 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Sure, but if you decrease sole width, offset and topline you are going to affect performance. If you keep changing those items, even incrementally, you're moving away from the meat of the GI sector and putting yourself somewhere between GI and Players Distance. 

But currently Ping has the g710 and g410 which are basically the same club from a performance perspective. There is a gap that can be filled between the i210 and g710. I believe the blade length of i210 is 80-81 mm. G410 is probably 86+ mm.  Ping could easily build a g iron with I offset with a thicker sole and approximately 84 mm blade length. Think bstone j40 with ping tech and wider sole. Would be money for the vast majority of golfers. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

59 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

But currently Ping has the g710 and g410 which are basically the same club from a performance perspective. There is a gap that can be filled between the i210 and g710. I believe the blade length of i210 is 80-81 mm. G410 is probably 86+ mm.  Ping could easily build a g iron with I offset with a thicker sole and approximately 84 mm blade length. Think bstone j40 with ping tech and wider sole. Would be money for the vast majority of golfers. 

I guess I'd have to see them again, but from memory, I remember the G710 being quite a bit larger in every dimension. It also falls into the SGI category where as G410 is on the very compact side of the GI category. It's also a hollow body opposed to a traditional CB so I don't really see them being the same club at all. 

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

I guess I'd have to see them again, but from memory, I remember the G710 being quite a bit larger in every dimension. It also falls into the SGI category where as G410 is on the very compact side of the GI category. It's also a hollow body opposed to a traditional CB so I don't really see them being the same club at all. 

Have owned them both in the long irons. Very little difference up to the 7 iron. From a performance perspective they are almost identical. A little over a mm different in blade length. Very similar rear center of gravity. Identical MOI. If someone chooses one over the other it's because of color, sound, or feel. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I couldvw swore I saw Cam Champ using a g425 during the charity skins match thing they do before the toruney. Was just watching golf channel and after he hit a drive it looked like I saw g425, I could be wrong and just seeing what I wanted to see lol. Unfortunately I don't have live TV pause because I'm a caveman ??‍♂️

5 minutes ago, TJ83 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I couldvw swore I saw Cam Champ using a g425 during the charity skins match thing they do before the toruney. Was just watching golf channel and after he hit a drive it looked like I saw g425, I could be wrong and just seeing what I wanted to see lol. Unfortunately I don't have live TV pause because I'm a caveman ??‍♂️

champ was using this one at the NT Charity event

1CA7631A-2942-45D1-BDE4-9FF38DF05A6A.png

Edited by Stetson

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• easyyy featured this topic
  • easyyy unfeatured this topic