Ping G425 closer than we think? (In hand Pics Pg. 16)

16 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Posters had said that the 425 Max's spin would be what the 410 LST's spin is. Do you think the 425 Max would be around 2500 if you had the right shaft? 

Im guessing spin could drop some, but I don’t think it would be anything too drastic.  I know for my swing the Ventus Black usually launches a degree or so higher, spins about the same, but I gain 2-4 mph ball speed.  

Im also a habitual low striker with driver, so my spin numbers tend to be a bit higher than they could be.

Driver - Testing 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Modus 125X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50* Mid - Modus 105 Wedge

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56* Full - Modus 105 Wedge

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 62* Low - DG Spinner

Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I got some time with both drivers on the sim today.  I used a Ping Tour 65 stiff that plays at 45.25” in both drivers, definitely not what I would be using but it’s what I have to work with at the

I'd consult a Dr.  Sounds serious.

Happened to be around when the rep was in the shop.  Love the color combo in person.  Saw the hybrids and fw’s as well.  Turbulators are gone in the fw’s I believe.   Amazing how flat the soles are in

Posted Images

On 11/15/2020 at 3:46 AM, jblough99 said:

I actually did hit some shots with the LTD to compare but didn’t include them in those charts.  Ball speed was on average about 4mph faster with the LST.  For whatever reason I have trouble getting above 170mph with the Cobra, usually hovers around the mid 160’s, but it is very consistent for me.  Spin is VERY strike dependent with the Cobra.  Out of the middle it’s usually around 2200-2300, catch it high on the face and it dips below 2000, hitting it low and it’s quickly in the 3000-3500 range depending on how low.  Distance averages just above 300, it just doesn’t seem to have that really long ball in it, but like I said it’s super consistent.

Thank you! I am a LTD loyalist (LTD pro)

but switched to the G400max now looking to see what the G425 max will be like.

Titleist TSi3 8* Ventus Black 6X
Callaway XR Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Taylormade M3 17* Rescue Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
Cobra Fly Z + Forged 4-PW Ping AMT 2.0 X Flex (LOL)
Wilson PMP 52,56,60
Ping Anser 2 TR 1966
#vietnameeh

1 hour ago, vietnameeh said:

Thank you! I am a LTD loyalist (LTD pro)

but switched to the G400max now looking to see what the G425 max will be like.

Not trying to give you a dampner but when I had the G400 Max, while that was fairly straight due to the higher forgiveness, it was fairly short compared to my GBB Epic back then. I moved that driver to my buddy. I still recall slicing the crap out of the G400 Max, super disappointed with it as it flew to the roof of someone's house. Crap. I don't think I ever recall  doing that with my GBB Epic. Before that, I really liked the G LS thought it was the best driver Ping ever made. 

Now the G410 LST was great so I really look forward to the G425 Max. My hope is that it's low spinning like the G410 LS but added forgiveness like never before. Intending to pair it with Ventus Velcore Blue or the ATMOS Tour Spec Black. Also, I can tweak the weight for a draw if I need to. Unlike the G400 Max or G LS.

I think this may work out quite nicely... & hopefully, sound nicely too.

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim Max, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Fairway Woods: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 4 wood, Vizard Z 60S shaft
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Irons:      Mizuno JP921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48*, Cleveland FullFace 56* both with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

2 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Not trying to give you a dampner but when I had the G400 Max, while that was fairly straight due to the higher forgiveness, it was fairly short compared to my GBB Epic back then. I moved that driver to my buddy. I still recall slicing the crap out of the G400 Max, super disappointed with it as it flew to the roof of someone's house. Crap. I don't think I ever recall  doing that with my GBB Epic. Before that, I really liked the G LS thought it was the best driver Ping ever made. 

Now the G410 LST was great so I really look forward to the G425 Max. My hope is that it's low spinning like the G410 LS but added forgiveness like never before. Intending to pair it with Ventus Velcore Blue or the ATMOS Tour Spec Black. Also, I can tweak the weight for a draw if I need to. Unlike the G400 Max or G LS.

I think this may work out quite nicely... & hopefully, sound nicely too.

totally agree with you. I am spinning the G400 max about 300RPMs more on average (2600-2700) on course I am seeing a good 10-15 yards difference on good drives. However the extra spin has been really stabilizing my bad shots (I am a big hooker lol).

My Cobra LTD pro was amazing overall, but I would flirt with 1800-1900 RPMs and any draw spin and fore left!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8* Ventus Black 6X
Callaway XR Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Taylormade M3 17* Rescue Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
Cobra Fly Z + Forged 4-PW Ping AMT 2.0 X Flex (LOL)
Wilson PMP 52,56,60
Ping Anser 2 TR 1966
#vietnameeh

2 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

totally agree with you. I am spinning the G400 max about 300RPMs more on average (2600-2700) on course I am seeing a good 10-15 yards difference on good drives. However the extra spin has been really stabilizing my bad shots (I am a big hooker lol).

My Cobra LTD pro was amazing overall, but I would flirt with 1800-1900 RPMs and any draw spin and fore left!

I can see a Fade setting on your G425 Max 👍 and perhaps a less active tipped shaft to help with a hook. Good thing is that a hook is FAR easier to fix than a slice-a-rama.

Another point I want to make is that I, for one, am GLAD that Ping went with the adjustable flight with the moveable weight in the G410 and now in the G425. I SORELY miss this in my current gamer, the Cobra Speedzone. Luv the head and distance but hate the lead tape I had to put on the back heel to give me my draw bias flight. Thats the same reason I forgo the Mavrik and still have my Epic Flash Sub Zero, that sliding weight in the EFSZ just plain works for me.

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim Max, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Fairway Woods: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 4 wood, Vizard Z 60S shaft

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48*, Cleveland FullFace 56* both with Catalyst 100 shafts

On 9/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, GolfTurkey said:

I hope that they continue selling the G410 line along with the G425 like they did with the 400's and 410's. I might risk castration to buy the new driver but I'm happy to pick up a couple of 410 hybrids and save the $$$

I like your idea. As it stands right now, I will be buying the new 425 max 10.5*, based on my demo'g the 410 plus, and some online vids I watched. The 410 plus is sooo forgiving, above and beyond my XR16 driver I use right now. Very impressive! Although, to buy brand new hybrids as well would cost a small fortune. Maybe settle with the new driver first and gradually get some 410 hybrids. Right now I have Xhot 4, 5, 6, & 7 hybrids in the bag, so you can see my situation. lol

Edit: Additional technical info I heard:

The unique hosel adapter style ping uses offers numerous settings, but it's design if such that the adapter portion is very light in weight allowing Ping to use the 'saved' weight in other areas of the head. This is also why they don't use slider channels for their movable weight in the back, because channels are weighty. Same for not using a composite style crown, the ledge the crown would sit on and the epoxy to glue it on is also weighty. Ping does many things to their driver people just don't realize. (I didn't read through the entire thread, maybe this info has already been offered?)

Edited by hybrid25

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Anyone order and/or pre-order the heads at a heavier weight? I play everything 1/2'-1" short and put heavier weights in my G410 heads, but obviously the weights are not the same for the G425. Just curious if Ping is offering the heavier weights direct from them or hotmelt only. 

Ping G425 LST 9* Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Ping G425 19* Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX 
Srixon ZX7 4-GW Steelfiber 110X  
Scratch 1018 Forged 53/58 Tour AD Wedge
PXG Gen 2 Operator  
ProV1X Left Dash / Chrome Soft X LS 

21 minutes ago, endy said:

Anyone order and/or pre-order the heads at a heavier weight? I play everything 1/2'-1" short and put heavier weights in my G410 heads, but obviously the weights are not the same for the G425. Just curious if Ping is offering the heavier weights direct from them or hotmelt only. 

You could get a weight from the max and put it in the LST.  Standard weight for the max is about 10 grams heavier than the standard LST weight.

I was planning on tinkering with the ones I have once I get a suitable shaft.  

Edited by jblough99
  • Like 1

Driver - Testing 

6 minutes ago, jblough99 said:

You could get a weight from the max and put it in the LST.  Standard weight for the max is about 10 grams heavier than the standard LST weight.

I was planning on tinkering with the ones I have once I get a suitable shaft.  

Not a bad idea at all, would be looking at doing something similar for my fairway woods. I want to say I added right around 6-8g to all of them, although I think if I go G425 7 wood that should be heavier than the 5 wood as it is. Also, I am assuming Ping is including the adapter to their published head weights of MAX-206g and LST-208g ? Wonder why they don't have fairway head weights yet. 

Edited by endy

PXG Gen 2 Operator  

Yes they include the adapter in the published weights.  The adapter and ferrule weighs approximately 4 grams 

Driver - Testing 

@jblough99 may be I missed it, but how do the heads sit at address? I assume you have the standard setting while testing.

10 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

@jblough99 may be I missed it, but how do the heads sit at address? I assume you have the standard setting while testing.

I can post some pics when I get home from work.  

• Thanks 1

Driver - Testing 

1 hour ago, jblough99 said:

@SwingBlues

Here you go.  Both are set on the standard loft setting.  LST is first and MAX is second.  LST sits square to a little open.  MAX sits a touch closed.

I’m just getting an Atmos 6x built right now for testing on the LST

tipped 1/2” and playing at 44.75” and them a 7x at some point as well

I demoed the max the other day and I didn't notice that it had a closed face or not. One thing a bit strange was that I normally have a slight draw to my shots, but the max normal shot was a baby fade. In fact, I had a difficult time drawing the ball with the max. Now I know my present day driver is a different animal than the max, but I found that a bit strange. I usually don't care for a club face that is 1 degree closed or so, I like a squared club face. Again, maybe I should have taken a closer look, but I didn't notice it closed. I also demoed the Ping 410 + and it definitely was a square face on that set up. I have heard it mentioned before call the max has a slightly closed face.

Edited by hybrid25

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

49 minutes ago, jongalt55 said:

Ugh.  Max looks way closed.  If you put it in the big minus setting, does it open it up a bit?

17 minutes ago, Obsessed said:

X2?

You guys are killing me haha.  I'll get a pic of the MAX on big minus when I get home from work.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing 

17 minutes ago, Obsessed said:

X2?

X3 haha ? Little bit surprising to be honest, but that basically cements my feelings of opting for the LST 

PXG Gen 2 Operator  

Just now, jblough99 said:

You guys are killing me haha.  I'll get a pic of the MAX on big minus when I get home from work.

I think someone mentioned that you are the most important poster on WRX right now, and they weren't wrong hahahaha! 

• Thanks 1

PXG Gen 2 Operator  

That’s a bummer the Max sits closed. I need loft and neutral to open face so the last few ping drivers over the years have not worked for me at all. Even the 12* G410 opened up didn’t launch enough for me. I add loft and like the height but then hook them. 

Callaway Mavrik 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Trilogy 5h / Xrail 5h -1"

Ping i200 6-GW

Cleveland CBX Full Face 56/60

Callaway Sure Out 64

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

16 minutes ago, endy said:

I think someone mentioned that you are the most important poster on WRX right now, and they weren't wrong hahahaha! 

Well good news is I have a ventus black 6x en route, hopefully it shows up Friday or Saturday so I can see what these things can really do.  

Hopefully can make my decision on which head I'm keeping.  Then I'll be the most important WRXer on the BST.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver - Testing 

1 hour ago, jblough99 said:

Well good news is I have a ventus black 6x en route, hopefully it shows up Friday or Saturday so I can see what these things can really do.  

Hopefully can make my decision on which head I'm keeping.  Then I'll be the most important WRXer on the BST.

Hey it’s me, your cousin. Let’s do this deal, cousin. 

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

That’s a bummer the Max sits closed. I need loft and neutral to open face so the last few ping drivers over the years have not worked for me at all. Even the 12* G410 opened up didn’t launch enough for me. I add loft and like the height but then hook them. 

You can always custom order and ask for 'neutral face at standard' and have an exact loft ('digital lofted')

I've done that for the past several generations of Ping drivers.

• Like 2

10.5* Ping G425 Max. Accra TZ6 CB
14.5* Ping G425 Max. Aldila Rogue white 130 MSI 70g
20.5* Ping G425 Max. Aldila Rogue white 130 MSI 80g
21* Titleist TS2. MRC Tensei CK Pro blue 80g
5i-9i Srixon Z5 (Modus 120)
P-AW Srixon Z7 (Modus 120)
56* Cally XForged MD S grind 56/14; 60* Cally Mack Daddy 2 60/9T
Ping Cadence Ketsch  
Pro V1 or Z star; GP NDMC; Titleist Players glove; Ping Hoofer lite or Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

16 minutes ago, jblough99 said:

@jongalt55

@endy

@Obsessed

Took 2 new pics of the Max from address, first pic is standard loft, second is the big minus.  The big minus definitely squared things up.

Definitely better on big minus.  Still might look more closed than the LST though...  Thanks so much @jblough99!

Regarding the Open/ Closed/Square; there can be manufacturing tolerances, as said my 410 LST is 2* Open ish, I requested that... I bet there was ones closed. 

A lot has to do with whether you square the face up or leave it slightly open/closed at address. 

• Like 1
  • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • easyyy unfeatured this topic